Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I'm glad I at least contributed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In general I’d say it’s safe to say a manager isn’t unilaterally deciding who to play at least for any extended pattern especially when it becomes a story. That’s just not how baseball works anymore. The front office is involved and wants to be sure their acquisitions and callups are being utilized as intended. A manager might decide day to day matchups and rest days but like Ross wasn’t the one deciding to play Hosmer. That was a Cub decision from the day he was signed to say he was cut, at least in the macro.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees are right there with the Dodgers and Astros in terms of history and still maintaining the competitive record. Rodon is due to make his season debut on Friday and Cortes has started rehab. Severino is a big question at this stage and I could see him moving to the pen for a bit if they have enough starters. The bullpen's been great. Judge is still a question mark but he has been hitting off a tea and jogging which is something. The offense seems to be coming around without him. Stanton doesn't look off balance anymore and is starting to kill baseballs again. Volpe has adjusted his stance and is exciting again. Gleyber, Rizzo, and Bader are producing as is oddly IKF. DJLM sadly remains lost with no one offering any suggestions as to why. But things are definitely looking better although obviously the shadow of Judge's injury is looming over everything and its hard to see them winning in the postseason without him. Which is almost certainly why the Yankees are playing it so safe with his injury and not rushing anything. But just a nervous waiting game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't watch sports to be miserable and boo and yell so yeah, I'm not discounting players seeming to turn it around and play better because they played poorly before they turned it around. That's kind of how that works.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

NGL STAC propping up the Yankee bullpen only for one of their relivers to immediately get suspended for the season is pretty funny.

The bullpen is like top in baseball. Cordero is part of it, big or small. Screw him. Suspend him. Remember when a domestic abuser helped win you a World Series and some were so happy for him? Only for Astros fans to now get a laugh out of a domestic abuser?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Abuse is terrible, suspensions are justified. Broadly I believe in forgiveness and second chances. I have no idea how to judge when someone has earned that. What kind of suspension or time or forgiveness or community service gets you there. It’s really not my place to decide, it’s the victims. I just rather not have the guys on my team so I don’t have to wrestle with the awkwardness of the question.

I’m not gonna score points by saying the Yankees should cut a middling reliever. It’s weird that German is basically now locked into Yankee history. I have no idea what to do with that. I’ll probably learn to live with it. David Wells is kind of an rear end in a top hat too I think? I dunno. I just want to watch games and have fun and not have assholes ruin it whether they’re on the field, in the stands, online, or whatever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 5, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Davey Martinez trying to prevent all fun

https://theathletic.com/4669657/2023/07/06/david-martinez-elly-de-la-cruz-bat-inspection/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently he had some swing metrics sensor stuck to his bat. Martinez questioned it, but it’s legal. The umps shrugged and made him take it off for an at-bat (a K), then he put it back on and hit a dinger. He pointed to the sensor, and something something unwritten rules.

As much as I think managers have been extra whiny this season I gotta say if someone on the other team had a plastic thing on his bat I’d probably be all “wait, is that allowed?” too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I get it. But I mean… legitimately weird thing I’ve never seen or heard of before that seems like it might be illegal and then the player making a show of mocking that and the manager being pretty low key salty about it. I dunno. Feels like a less than “I’m mad someone had fun” situation. I dunno. It’s not important. I guess I’m just sympathetic to what started it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s probably just my general dislike for people being assholes. And if one team pulls some poo poo and the other team hits back. You know, whatever. You asked for it. But in this case Martinez’ concern feels legitimate and asking the umps about it seems like the appropriate action? So Elly’s taunting feels kinda dickish? Yeah Martinez’ post game comments are also unnecessary but like he’s gotta address the first part of it so I get why he’s kind of salty about the latter.

I dunno. It’s dumb. It doesn’t cloud my view of Elly or anything. I still think managers have been especially Karenish this season. I’m just a soft rear end dude.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milovan Drecun posted:

I don't like rear end in a top hat players. I just don't see this as an rear end in a top hat moment. Martinez using a very much expected post-game question to double down is being an rear end in a top hat, the non-rear end in a top hat manager would have defended questioning it and left it at that. Imo.

I think the manager was being an rear end in a top hat post game. I think taunting people is also being an rear end in a top hat. So I guess I just think Elly was an rear end in a top hat first. Doesn’t mean Martinez wasn’t an rear end in a top hat. And he’s the grown rear end manager so he should be more mature than the rookie. Again. It’s dumb. I’m dumb. I’m gonna watch some muppets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

head up to fans of Posts: there's a yankees/cubs series this weekend

Been dreading it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Red posted:

I kind of like the Yankees having a useless stupid old timey rule. Kind of like letting pitchers hit, it adds a unique flavor of "You there, this is the made-up rule that sets an unbreakable tradition, now buckle down!" from the olden days.

As long as it's not racist, I'm all on board with each team having a bizarre quirk. Let the White Sox wear shorts again. Bring back a jersey with the laces on the collar for the Tigers or somebody. Let the Rays have a pool full of sea creatures in the ballpark, perhaps!

The hair policy isn’t racist but it gets iffy culturally when we’re not talking about gross white dudes making poor personal hygiene choices.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never played any kind of serious organized baseball, was never very good, and am now very old and broken. So I of course believe I'd do great in AA.

I think Jordan and to a lesser extent Tebow obviously did better than the average person would because they're obviously not the average person. They're pro athletes and some of that translates to a different sport if just in conditioning and training and general athleticism. But also there's the element of them being grown rear end men often playing against kids in development. And as my high school teachers taught us every year they strapped on their knee braces and beat the varsity team there's a basic biological gap there for most.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah he was borderline before the Astros scandal but I don't know how you make the case for him now without talking about that stuff. And while you're still denying legends who took steroids its a bad look to put in a bubble guy who took part in the recent big cheating scandal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its good to come back and remember why I hate being here. Thanks, crew. Stay cool. Enjoy baseball.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ohtani shouldn’t sign with the cheating and rear end in a top hat Astros who just threw a bench clearing fit because they were being beat too bad.

Trade “rentals” depend on a lot of things. Does the player fill a need you think legitimately puts you over the top? Do you truly believe you have a strong shot at winning it all or need to make a run now? Do you have enough commodities to not only make the deal but do it without hurting your team now or in the near future? And of course does the other team want to deal with you or is dealing in good faith? Letting yourself get fleeced to miss the playoffs or get knocked out first round and watching the guy leave to free agency and guys you played strive elsewhere is something that happens a lot more often than the alternative.

Fans just want what they want when they want it and don’t care about any of that because they’re toddlers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta think you don’t become a buyer unless you think there’s a decent chance Trout will be back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think Verlander/Houston would be remotely strange. Situations change. In the off-season the Astros thought they could do it without Verlander and/or that he wouldn’t hold up/be worth the money. Maybe they’ve changed their minds as results have come in.

But here’s hoping Verlander somehow ends up in Anaheim or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah they’re making a run and Scherzer is hardly nothing. You improve yourself how you can, not how fans want you to on sports radio.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can’t see the Yankees selling their most productive hitter the last couple of months right when Judge and Nestor return and they’re just a few games out of the playoffs. I mean if Miami wants him bad enough to give a lot I guess you consider it but if that were the case I imagine the deal would have been done before this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Very deeply funny that mcmagic can’t tell the difference between cubsposters just having fun and actual genuine trade/signing rumors

Well he also can’t tell the difference between “the Marlins want Gleyber but the Yankees want a bunch of pitching prospects” for “the Yankees are pining for mediocre pitchers”. So at least it’s consistent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Do you think the problem with the Yankees is that they don't have enough B level pitching prospects? I know you think that everything I say is wrong but if you can't see that the near to mid term future of the position players the Yankees are going to put be putting on the field is loving BLEAK you might not be paying that much attention.

No I think that you are literally making up a complaint because the actual story was about the Marlins wanting Gleyber, not the Yankees shopping Gleyber or pursuing pitchers. That the return they would want are a bunch of pitchers hardly means they don’t want position players. It means those are the players the Marlins have they like. In a hypothetical lopsided deal they’re not reportedly pursuing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

If they aren't shopping him they are making a mistake. It's not like they are going to give him an extension.

Are those goalposts heavy?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

The Marlins seem to be the team who want him most, or at all, and they have more pitching than hitting prospects

It goes back to what I said when people criticized the Rangers going for Scherzer. You improve yourself how you can with what’s available and who is willing to deal. It’s not a video game where you can just target who you want and throw stuff at it. It’s not a bunch of fans just deciding “trade him for Juan Soto!” It’s reality.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I went to Camden for the first time yesterday and it's really nice, definitely taken me too long to go down there.

My only issue with Camden is all the amenities are so removed from the field. Eutaw Street is great but the game is happening somewhere else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boone pretty much never takes a public poo poo on his players and seems plenty willing to sound like a bit of an idiot to take the heat off them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boone is a players manager. It’s what he was hired for because Girardi had a lot of friction with the young players on the team. So like he’s never gonna come out and go “everyone sucks” like some fans want him to. He acknowledges the reality of the failure but always tries to put a spin on it. And honestly I don’t even know why anyone would expect him to do anything other than what he does. Post game interviews just exist to give people something to yell about until the next game. Whether deliberately or not Boone rather they be on him than talking about how he called out players. And seriously no manager is like having his millionaires run laps for striking out a bunch. It’s just the usual fans looking for blood to make themselves feel better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

So German is scratched from his start and then comes in for five innings of relief after Brito gets shelled? Were they gonna trade him or something?

They’re saying German simply had discomfort but was ok and cleared by 6 but by then they were already warming up Brito so 🤷‍♂️. If German was being pulled for the block I don’t know that it makes sense to change courses even if one particular deal fell through last night. But who knows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess teh question is whether the Os are feeling the pressure from everyone who was critical of them for not adding in the offseason. Now you're in first and a Championship run seems real doable. Do you just stick with your core and be confident they'll be good for a long time or do you go all in now before NY, Boston, and Toronto can fix their problems or the Central can get respectable?

Baltimore does seem like a good fit if its about prospects and not money. But maybe the Mets and writers just know that so are putting it out there. Who knows? Deadline day. 6 hours until the fun is all drowned out by complaining Yankee fans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So are the Yankees supposed to be buying or selling? Who are we buying? Who are we selling? Are we wringing hands over the possible missed return for Wandy Peralta and Harrison Bader? Or the missed upgrade of Jeimer Candelario? Trying to get straight what I'm supposed to be mad about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Nothing that they can do today can really fix it in the short term.

Thank you for saying something I can agree with and confirming that any outrage from the fanbase today is purely performative temper tantrums.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

There should be outrage that the team is spending 300 million dollars to be dogshit and even worse than dogshit, boring dogshit... And that there is no accountability for anyone in the organization no matter how terrible they are at their jobs.

You can be mad and critical of the team all you want. But being mad about the team not making deals at the deadline to improve this team (either as buyers or sellers) when also acknowledging that those deals probably don't exist is just being mad to be mad. Its just children lashing out to make themselves feel better. Hell you mocked the ONE plausible sell deal suggested in the media.

zoux posted:

WTF happened to Rizzo, I saw some comp today that he's actually been way worse in NY this year than Gallo ever was.

The best theory anyone has is that he hurt his neck a couple of months back when a runner ran into him and that while they insist he's fine physically that he messed something up mechanically that he can't figure out. Losing Judge as protection and everyone else in the lineup sucking probably didn't help either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boo Astros. Boo Mets. Go... Padres/Angels?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

Somehow the Mets imploded even faster than the Durant/Kyrie Nets did

I had it on good authority that they had the New Boss and were the new Yankee Dynasty.

Actually building a big money team with no chemistry or success and then blowing it up is kind of Boss like.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess credit to the Mets at least for seeming to get decent returns on their massive disaster firesale.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see how you question this for the Astros. They have Altuve and Bregman who might be towards the end of their runs. You have young guys you can build the next generation around but you have a core right now that can win again. Verlander is a fit you know. You should have signed him in the winter. Can't go back and change that. Gotta go hard. And giving up an OF prospect when you have two young stud OFers really ain't that bad a deal.

But I hope it blows up in their faces. gently caress the Astros.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Mets aren't some secret that we can figure out. It just didn't work. Injuries, chemistry, bad luck. Its all just luck sometimes. They won 101 games last year. They're not crap. But baseball is weird and fickle and long and chaotic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Its only notable because there was such fanfare about Steve Cohen being the man willing to spend anything to win. And whoops. People forgot it ain't that easy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fans can either complain or be cocky tools. Anything else and you have to be a well rounded person or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why can’t I just have everything, cost me nothing, and also the people I don’t like fall on their faces? That would be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yanks doing nothing is a totally modern Yankees move because it's the worst possible decision but requires the least amount of effort.

Do we really think there’s anything they could have done? Would picking up a few mid level prospects for Bader/Peralta/Gleyber really have saved the day or made a real difference aside from a soft punt on the rest of the season?