Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mariners closer only gives up 3 runs, sufficient for the win! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mike Ford’s birthday was today & he had a single, HR, double, then another double. Announcers wondered if he’d try to stretch the last double to a triple but noted he might be out by 50ft.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Every time I read the name Jay Buhner I hear it in Frank Costanza's voice

He was fun to watch & I remember listening to the game he hit for the cycle. In one of the Griffey N64 games he had I think max power but a tiny hitting circle so a bit hard to use. I believe he’s mentioned in the new season of the Bear in a discussion about baseball cards.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/benjstrauss/status/1678409021517099010

This seems like it bodes ill for both the NYT and the Athletic brand.

Huh not good apparently they’ve had a dedicated sports desk since the 1800s? Although seemed inevitable as there was so much overlap. Hope Athletic gets a new Mariners reporter, their coverage has been lacking and they used to have great exclusives like breaking down the Cano trade.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yikes Angels' Taylor Ward carted off field after taking a pitch to the head. That’s scary.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

^^^^Rendon is Ozzie Smith

Literally the Springfield power plant softball team with Ohtani playing the role of Strawberry

Phil Nevin wishes he had the charisma & morality of Mr. Burns.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1686052490570305536

Well, he did it. He fixed the crisis of thinkpieces about how baseball is dying and what they need to do to attract younger fans.

Yay, that will upset the grump in my baseball chat who insists the sport is dying and wants all foul ball netting removed as bats to the face should be part of fan experience.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.

How comparable is this to Paul Allen throwing money around and ending up with the Jailblazers?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Connor Phillips is a decent prospect but reliever only.

Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley have done really well in Cinci but were done in Seattle because of personal stuff -- IIRC Fraley was part of the Graveman/Seager anti-vaxx contingent who tried to convince every rookie to avoid getting the COVID vaccine for as long as possible (yes this happened).

Williamson idk, there was some rumbling with area guys that he wasn't going to crack the Mariners rotation due to work ethic/fit/timing stuff.

It's worked out for them in Cinci but Suarez alone was worth moving that package and they don't make the playoffs last year without Winker's 6 week hot stretch in June.

Dang didn’t know Seager was anti-vax dang it. Agreed Geno is a lot of fun, he’s been playing some top notch defense as of late and I got to be at the game when he walked it off in extras with a three run homer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

no one officially has talked about it but the story is that it was more Seager's wife and he was along for the ride than anything else.

it was probably a very large reason the team had no desire to bring him back after declining his option.

Huh that’s too bad. It was funny when an unnamed player was enraged at Dipoto for trading Graveman in the middle of a series & not bothering to tell the team beforehand, and it was obviously Seager.

Kinda related did not know Jean Segura was a bad clubhouse presence, helped to explain why they let him go so easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pungry posted:

Well, we let Segura go because we got JP Crawford out of it. Penisaurus Rex is correct about the anti-vaxx stuff as far as I remember. The Graveman trade ruled especially hard when Toro hit a grand slam off Graveman.

I liked Toro but the main thing I remember was his ability to do trilingual interviews when they were playing in Toronto.