Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Orv
May 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Reptile was on the leaked list. I'm actually pretty certain all 5 ninjas from the Trilogy are going to be playable--Ermac is listed as DLC--for the first time since MK9. Hope they revert back to his "disguised" human form, his newer frogface sucked rear end.

Ed has decided to buy big in Lin Kuei stock, ninja stock, palette swap stock for Mortal Kombat One: The First Mortal Kombat Since 9 Where No "One" Will Complain About Where A Ninja Character Is

*screeching in Khameleon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
If correct I’m genuinely excited for Geras his design is extremely good.

I said come in! posted:

I am looking forward to any PC beta tests as that will likely blow the leaks wide open with data mining.

PC gets zero beta access of any kind unfortunately, launch only.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Likely yeah but also because I think every NRS PC release since 9 has been completely hosed for at least a month. Maybe not Inj 1?

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is also true. I always buy NRS games on PC, and then instantly regret it, and i'm gonna do it again with MK1 because I really do prefer to play fighting games on PC.

:same: :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Raiden made Liu Kang a god so we don’t really need to even walk that far to keep blaming Raiden for everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a ball of arms all connected at the shoulder like a biblical angel.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd settle for fighting games not being super weird about their young girl characters at this point. Though I guess MK isn't super into that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minidust posted:

Yeah at least on a purely psychological level, picking a Kameo character is much better than deciding which special moves you're leaving behind. Variations felt like adding complexity for complexity's sake, solving a problem that didn't exist, not unlike the "fighting styles" of 5 thru 7. Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

I have a certain fondness for that era of Kombat but I don’t know that it’s earned at all. I think I just like dumb MK bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Turns out Hanzo Hasashi has some really strong feelings about the Red Lanterns

Orv
May 4, 2011
A Johnny Cage fatality where he appears on Colbert’s late show with someone’s spine as co-guest

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Liu Kang, how did you end up turning tarkatans into an infectious disease?

He’s just that good at loving up!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Throwing away the universe just for one Baraka story win

Orv
May 4, 2011

widespread posted:

I ran to this thread as soon as someone elsewhere was yelling about fuckin' Khameleon being back.

Are they?

People are speculating she’s back cause one of the Umgadi kinda has wispy, translucent hair but also that one is in a yellow outfit so it feels pretty reach-y.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I hadn’t heard about that leak, yeah that’d make sense. Though what she’d do as a Kameo that is particularly Khameleonaire is an odd question.

Kombat Pack 1 leak is, of course, correct. Omni-man, Peacekeeper/maker/i forget, Homelander, Takeda, Ermac and Quan Chi.

I could not give less of a poo poo about the super mens and their super powers but I gotta have my glowy skull man.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 22, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

EorayMel posted:

What if Mokap comes back and he's turned into some kind of celestial star man

20% of the disk space of the game is Ed Boon as Mokap just constantly spouting lies

Orv
May 4, 2011

codo27 posted:

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be clear I don’t particularly disagree with you that they are lovely practices but I’m curious if you’d prefer to go back to owning five copies of each fighting game, which would absolutely be $70 a pop nowadays.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Like for console exclusives? I didn't realize it was a significant issue in fighting games because I'm not big on fighting games overall, but I think if a version of a game has a platform exclusive, the other versions should cost less since you're getting less content. I thought it was funny how Kratos wasn't allowed in tournaments because it wasn't fair to XBox people who didn't know how to play against him though.

I'm just an old man disillusioned with the games industry. I still like Mortal Kombat and I'm interested to see what they do with the actual meat of this game, so I'm not intending to just jump in here and poo poo on everything.

No yeah, as Smoking Crow notes, up until fairly recently if you wanted new characters, colors/costumes or even major or minor balance updates to a fighting game those came as a full new, full priced release. Some smaller franchises went a little less hard on the pricing but often harder on the number of rereleases.

God knows the DLC era in fighting games isn’t without its flaws, you can just look at the nightmarish list of DOA DLCs for a pretty compelling argument against. But for my money I’d much rather this era of fighters and games in general where things can be patched in (semi-)reasonable time and I can simply not buy characters or costumes that don’t interest me.

Though again, if we could get the piecemeal additions and the updated balance without the in-game grinds or the awful marketing practices I wouldn’t be sparing a tear for what we have now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Takeda’s getup definitely screams generic cool hench so I’d say that’s likely.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Your Tarkatan takeaway, if you will

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiskabobs only, of course

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who would not wish to be a fire skeleton if given the option

Orv
May 4, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

He comes from the Raiden school of meddling godhood

Orv
May 4, 2011
The One Being, Diznay Go’ogl

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, if the Motaro Kameo is cool old Motaro they should make lovely bipedal Motaro playable so you can really make it weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ed Boon would never troll, how dare you

Orv
May 4, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

If he's anything, he's a placeholder for a not-yet-revealed Earthrealmer.

Christoper Lambert

Not Raiden. Just Lambert, hanging out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Liu Kang
Hates: Shang Tsung

Orv
May 4, 2011
Edenia just is the Pittsburgh Zoo. Jerrod was just really bored.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reptile is just a mistransliteration of Ratpod from the original design documents. Just fifty cute rats in a big whiffle ball.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

Random question from a non-thread regular. I haven't played MK since UMK3 when I was a kiddo but

Surely there was something incredibly degenerate in Sega Genesis MK I can abuse and get someone to try to brain me with a bottle, right?

I dunno about the exact changes the Genesis has but if you just want people to hate you do Sonya’s grab. Down LP LK Block (MK notation escapes me atm) and just do that forever.

Or just play like a modern online Scorpion and teleport attack forever.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 1, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owEKTfe1Gno

Flashing lights warning though

Orv
May 4, 2011
If Reptile’s EX ball doesn’t either double bounce or corner carry I’m gonna be very sad

Also I’m betting Johnny’s suit is some kind of timeline jumping thing because Kenshi is in one too at the start of the trailer

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was fairly obvious from context that Johnny and Kenshi are keeping a low profile on some kind of Outworld infiltration op.

Yeah but that’s also way too straightforward for MK it’s gotta be something dumber

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I'd argue that MK, particularly post-MK9, is crazy, but not stupid.

While there are a lot of really goofy elements of the world, like how MKX involved Sub-Zero having to very seriously use the phrase "cyber-ninjas" more than once, the characters in it tend to act with reasonable care and intelligence in their respective situations.

There are a couple of obvious exceptions, like that one bit in Jax's MK9 chapter where he takes time out during a dangerous situation to beat the living poo poo out of Johnny for a while, but MK is about as intelligent as it can be for the kind of story it's telling.

My argument for you is that dumb and stupid are two different things in storytelling. Demolition Man is dumb and thus fun. Time Cop is stupid and so fun but also stupid.

Yes this is a theory entirely predicated on B action movies

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well yeah the dead people go in the good dungeon

Orv
May 4, 2011
Zilch so far

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don’t remember who exactly, I think maybe Havik’s, explicitly shows the opponent’s entire skull shattering into hundreds if not thousands of tiny pieces. You don’t walk or really exist after any MK super but that one feels particularly egregious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The success of World Tour would certainly make now the time to bring back Konquest in some form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

d'vorah has never hosed up and has been a sicko bug lady

She chose to work for the King of Jobbers