Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Perestroika posted:

Fingers crossed for a surprise Nitara appearance. The time is right for a vampire pirate.

I was surprised to see her in the most recent movie, and also by the part where she got sawed in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Teenage me thought Mavado in his black trenchcoat and Kabal's hookswords was the coolest poo poo but in hindsight lol you suck Mavado you have two moves and one is a command sidestep. WOW.

Mavado’s weird lunging bungee-cord kick special was absurdly good.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If and when Reptile comes back, they need to give him his ridiculous crab style from DA

Omg I forgot about that, Deadly Alliance was such a bizarre game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Smoking Crow posted:

So I've been playing deadly alliance and Deception and I can't help but notice that the game has such slow forward and back dashes. Is there any way to wavedash or make yourself go faster in some way in those games or is my sneaking suspicion that they're not very good games correct

Deception was awesome when it came out, I’m sure it hasn’t aged well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The style changes in Deception were cool, you could quickly change between them but you couldn’t attack immediately so you were vulnerable. You also couldn’t change mid-combo unless you were doing the specific style-change combos. Everybody had two empty-hand styles and one weapon style and their specials. They were way overboard on the dial-a-combo system, some of Shujinko’s combos specifically were like 12 moves long and impossible to remember. At least the roster was small enough that it kinda worked. Armageddon sucks so bad, they didn’t have enough fighting styles for all the characters so they each got one empty-handed and one weapon style but even then there were repeats.

Anyway I enjoyed wrecking people in Deception with Mileena because she was insanely good, I wish I coulda played online.

Edit: I’m also a sicko who loved Konquest mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

davidspackage posted:

Didn't everyone?? It was kind of stupid as hell, and really fun. Shujinko going around bring the biggest moron, getting into fights with time-displaced people for no reason, and me just about breaking the controller in half with frustration because I can't get the timing on a combo with two style switches right.

I've tried the Konquest mode in MK Armageddon, but it's so awkward playing with a Wiimote.

Konquest in Armageddon was a lovely beat-em-up with a bad story. Not as much fun as being dumbass Shujinko.

Buschmaki posted:

remember when shujinko spent like 20 years in prison lmao

Yeah the story was really funny and goofy. Also it had tons of side quests to get Koins and unlock stuff. It was cool.

Remember how Deadly Alliance had a Krypt with way, way too many unlockables and sometimes you’d unlock one and it would just be a jump scare? God, Deadly Alliance was terrible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

exquisite tea posted:

The jumpscares are funny.

But it was basically a waste of coins! That krypt was so awful.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Puzzle kombat was just a lovely version of Super Puzzle Fighter

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

davidspackage posted:

I think you're right there, MK:DA had, I think, the occasional "lol empty!" koffin, though you could often tell, they were deliberately cheap.

Was MKX the most fun Krypt? I enjoyed that one, all with having to collect a few items to help you past parts.

MK9's was horribly confusing and had way too many of Ed Boon's cocktail napkin stick figure fatality sketches.

Yeah there were empty ones and iirc some stupid jump scares, but it’s been a long time.

I liked 11’s Krypt a lot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This loving owns, i will definitely watch it

Edit: Li Mei was cool in Deception, her hits didn’t do much damage but she hit fast and had long combos to make up for it. She was different.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Technowolf posted:

Nah, this time we're getting Animalities

That would be cool, as long as they aren’t stupid like they were in UMK3.

Friendships were (mostly) really good in MK11. I still laugh thinking about how excited Sub-Zero gets when you initiate his.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

brainSnakes posted:

Tarkatan Takeout would be a good username

Brits call takeout takeaway, hope that helps

Baraka was bottom-tier in MK9 too, the guy has really had a tough time in the current timeline.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m now singing Tarkatan Takeaway in my head to the tune of that Adicts song

Hey hey I want Tarkatan Takeaway
Hey hey, woo woo woo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1685433610801651712?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Kai is back baby

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

maruhkati posted:

It's MarineLand in Ontario. Vast empty space that feels haunted and all the animals are sad.

I always hated that place as a kid

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YES! HAVIK!! CHAOSRELM IS BACK!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1688621742715985920?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I legitimately thought she was Meat when I watched the trailer lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AndyElusive posted:

They're doing random regional special skins again:

Brazilian Tanya is loving awesome

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crowetron posted:

Chameleon and Khameleon are two different characters, believe it or not

Chameleon came out as trans and changed her name to Khameleon

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Smoking Crow posted:

this post sucks

You’re right, that wouldn’t even make sense. Then they wouldn’t be separate kharacters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

:hmmyes:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Canadian posted:

2nd video, all about invasions mode
I think its kinda neat! I guess its sorta has that RPG grind and very much by design, but its sure as poo poo better and more varied than MK11 towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeLWlISByk

This is awesome, I’m definitely going to preorder the game. I’m excited!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Technowolf posted:

Three - Havik's bio mentions Orderrealm

I was thinking about Edenia after the trailer. I wonder if we’ll get an explanation?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Orv posted:

Isn't Edenia just a nation/kingdom in Outworld?

No, it’s a separate realm that Shao Khan merged with Outworld in the og timeline. You go there in Deception’s story mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Canadian posted:

Edenia/Edenians is now native to outworld as of the new era.

Now why thats a thing, who knows. I asked Stephanie(aka 16 bit, NRS employee) to her face and she super dodged the question.

Yeah I figured as much. Liu Kang was cutting corners by merging them by default, I suppose.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s like five seconds of video game in that very long ad for a video game. Strange choice!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gavok posted:

Speaking of tie-ins, I'm working on an article about obscure MK trivia and I was looking into MKX: Generations. It was supposed to be the third season of MK Legacy that would have promoted the characters from MKX. It was mainly remembered because there was a leaked casting call that gave us early ideas of who would be in the game, like D'Vorah, Kung Jin, and Erron Black (originally named Salazar). Then complete radio silence.

Turns out that they filmed the whole thing and did the special effects and everything, but for whatever reason, it was never released. Which is kind of bizarre considering how ridiculous the cast was:

- Casper Van Dien as Johnny Cage
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung
- Ray Park as Erron Black
- Lewis Tan as Kung Jin
- Booboo Stewart as Takeda
- Eric Roberts as Bo' Rai Cho

There's a leaked 8 minutes of raw footage out there that also includes live-action Ferra/Torr. It's wild that this was put together and then shoved into a vault.

What the gently caress, that sounds awesome.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I really enjoyed the newer MK movie but I was also drunk when I watched it, that helped. It was fun and I think they’re making a sequel which is awesome.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Megan Fox is, at the very least, an actual actor with acting experience. Ronda Rousey was not and the results were painful. I’m sure this will be fine.

I also heard the game leaked and some people are posting the roster online, but I haven’t seen anything.

Edit: they posted an Invasion Mode trailer on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwnrVvlviUn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

There’s an official MK page on Instagram/Facebook but not Twitter X. I don’t do TikTok but I assume they have a presence there?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 6, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone posted a video earlier in the thread about Invasions mode, it looks awesome. Edit: sorry the guy who posted this video is the one who made it, I should clarify.

https://youtu.be/AqeLWlISByk?si=_ezkzzspVw-6PeVv

Here another one since that official invasions trailer isn’t on YouTube for some reason?

https://youtu.be/NBPbwWOoIrY?si=-oFaLgtCmweU4sXT

They have been posting on social media literally every day with info about kharacters/kameos/stages. There have been Kombat Kasts and tons of trailers. I have been seeing stuff on IG and Facebook, plus Ed Boon’s shitposts on Twitter. I’m not sure how much more they could be doing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Apparently Nitara is from a realm called Vaeternus. I guess in Deadly Alliance it had been merged with Outworld but they’re making it sound like now it’s totally separate? Liu Kang tried to keep the vampires out of Outworld and Nitara was like “lol no”

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Maybe? NRS have gone pretty all-out on including story modes since MK9, which while I wouldn't call them thematically deep, closer to convoluted moreso, they are definitely cinematic, so much so that Capcom and Namco felt they needed to follow suit to keep up in their respective fighting game franchises. They pretty much lead the way in that regard for single player fighting game content.

Deadly Alliance had a lovely Konquest mode, Deception had an epic Konquest mode and Armageddon had a lovely one again, but lovely in a different way.

Bumper Stickup posted:

I do not play Mortal Kombat to fight other people. I play it for the buckwild lore and characters.

I unironically love the insane amount of lore/story in MK. It’s a huge part of the appeal. Same reason I love Kingdom Hearts.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went on YouTube and got a recommended video from someone who got the game early spoiling the full roster and the thumbnail was the full roster, what as rear end in a top hat lol I scrolled past it fast enough that I didn’t see anything I didn’t know yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone posted a video earlier in the thread about Invasions mode, it looks awesome. Edit: sorry the guy who posted this video is the one who made it, I should clarify.

https://youtu.be/AqeLWlISByk?si=_ezkzzspVw-6PeVv

Here another one since that official invasions trailer isn’t on YouTube for some reason?

https://youtu.be/NBPbwWOoIrY?si=-oFaLgtCmweU4sXT

Quoting my own post so people can see more about Invasions. First video is from a poster in this thread, the second has no commentary and just shows some gameplay. It jumps around and shows different characters.

It looks really good to me!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

codo27 posted:

Dont you just move around from place to place like Mario 3's world map?

It’s similar, you move around a set path and there are spots for battles and spots where you can interact with stuff on the map (like using keys to unlock doors and such). It’s also not 100% linear as far as I can tell and there are secret paths to discover. So yeah Mario 3 is a good comparison, but with more gore.

The RPG elements are leveling up your kharacters and increasing their stats, customizing them, etc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That trailer pretty much konfirmed that the Shang Tsung is going to be the story’s big bad, so that’s cool. I preordered but I won’t be able to play it until next week because I’ll be out of town this weekend.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The woman talking to Shang Tsung in the trailer is Kronika, right? I’m not crazy?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Reiko was supposed to be Shao Khan’s replacement in MK4 since Shao was canonically dead. So they gave Reiko some of his moves and called it a day. He was also in the most recent movie, yeah?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How does Kung Lao play? He’s been my main since MK9. I won’t be able to play until Monday :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Story mode was absolutely bonkers and I loved it. What an end sequence.

I am enjoying slowly making my way through Invasions, although I went to the training area and bought an EXP token and it made me so strong I can basically steamroll every encounter. The limited inventory for items is also really stupid, I accidentally threw out a Talisman I had beefed up lol they also aren’t all that useful.

The spread of character types is also really weird. Like, Physical and Lightning are only weak to Acid and there’s literally one Acid character (Reptile obviously) besides Shang Tsung, who only has one Acid-type attack. Feels a lot like Pokemon first generation when things were horribly imbalanced. I guess I could just use whoever for the fights instead of going by weaknesses.