Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I enjoyed Hazbin a ton, had completely missed the fandom. I had a question that may have been answered in Helluva Boss and I put it in spoilers just In Case:

Lucifer only got involved when Adam was hurting Charlie directly -- was there some agreement that Adam was breaking by attacking a Hellborn with intent to kill and such there, giving Lucifer a free pass to jump in? Or was Lucifer just being a lazy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Presumably nobody gave enough of a poo poo before Charlene Entertainment Morningstar got involved

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Larryb posted:

That’s a new one for me honestly, I thought most traditional illustrations of Adam nearly always depicted him as white
Do they think Angel Dust would have had four arms and that chest puff when he was alive?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the notion, this is not an equivalent argument.
Thinking about it you're right; far from 1:1

Larryb posted:

I was mostly just curious if the whole “brown Adam” thing actually had any basis in religious folklore or if it’s just something people made up for the sake of complaining
I don't think Adam or Eve's color come up anywhere in the Bible or in Biblical analysis, although there would be some logic to figuring he would either be approximately Middle Eastern in appearance or would be kind of an 'average human' (which would probably be notably darker skinned than he was)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

I feel like the entire argument falls into the damned if you do damned if you don't space. Make em' white? Well that's bad representation! Make em' people of color? Oh so now all the POC characters are raging assholes what're you trying to imply here!? I feel like it's just people needing something to rage about so they go after the most pedantic poo poo imaginable.
This made me do a quick look and it seems like all the angels are literally different shades of gray, skinwise. (Lucifer and Charlie aren't, of course.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also on Adam, funny thing is if you go by the seven deadly sins, someone put it that it's entirely possible Adam managed to avoid them more out of lack of opportunities to be tempted when alive, rather than his own virtues. Given after being kicked out of Eden, he's not got much to be Proud about, and he's basically living a caveman life; he can't be Slothful because he'll starve to death, there's not gonna be enough food around for him to be idly Gluttonous for its own sake, there's not yet any concept of money or valuables to be Greedy for, and there's only one woman around to Lust over, his wife. Not sure on Wrath, but it was his son who was the first murderer, not himself.

Of course, he ends up demonstrating about all those sins as an angel, ironically, now that he he has ample opportunities to.
The cosmic joke would be if Adam's summary of heavenly virtues proves to be accurate

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I also there is defiently a jelousy thing with vaggie in her. either over adam or maybe lute liked vaggie or who knows.

its that thing were weird antis and puriteens need to make up hosed up political poo poo about people they dont like, instead of going "yeah i dont care for her work" its "actually she is a big lover of genocide and isnt involved with x y and z and also hates puppies and kittens" its weird. like the show is pretty loving progressive and honestly pretty good at the various messages it gets across. i think people always talking up her work as edgy is weird because her stuff has edgy but like south park and etc are way more edgy and meaner. aqua team is darker. i like her stuff because its usually hopeful.
I finally got what all my Christian friends and associates mean by 'sinners' when I heard 'Loser, Baby' the second time around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, pretty sure Purgatory is still a thing in Catholicism.

It's Limbo that was done away with because someone in Upper Management finally twigged that sending unbaptized babies straight to "Baby Hell" was bad PR.

Oh, and Limbo's also where "good people" went before the coming of Christ, so if you ever wondered about that...everyone went to Diet Hell before then. Seems fair.
to be fair to the Catholics (I know, I know) I think the idea of Limbo was pretty much 'no punishment (because they weren't culpable due to either being infants or having lived before Christ) but no real reward either' so it was basically a pleasant park you could wander around in, forever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

For a little while I wasn't sure Christ was a thing in the Hazbin universe until some character says "What the Christ?" or something and even then I don't know what Christ has to do with the Hazbiniverse. It's probably a good idea to not bring it up at all but at the same time I don't think the story can go that long without wiggling into that territory.

EDIT: Is there even a "God" in the story? There's a heaven, but is there a creator god?
You know I saw some actual textual analysis on a Youtube comment, where someone wondered if Jesus was going to show up, and another person pointed out that given the premise of the show and what we see of Charlie alone, Jesus would simply immediately say "She's right," and since he's the boss's son, they'd have to do what he said.

Which would be very funny, and in character so to speak for Christ imo, but would have been something of an anticlimax. I think they were wise to present it as angels vs. demons more than having God engaged explicitly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crain posted:

Speaking of Alastor's "deal", I'm not sure if it was the implication, but I took his lament song to mean there's something about it that's explicitly handicapped him to the point that it's why he lost his fight with Adam, and he didn't realize that's what it'd do before the fight.

His "What just happened" wasn't just surprise at Adams attack, but something on his end not working that he was expecting to be there.

Which is why he's even more desperate to find a way out of the deal. He thought he knew the terms and limitations of his situation, and thus was still confident in his ability to operate. But now there's something new or previously unknown that's taken something from him he needed for his plans.
Maybe he's bound to support those who Lilith loves and got outside of the ambiguous space of 'supporting Charlie' into the realm of 'hurting Adam'.

It would be really funny if the whole macro-scale cause of this stuff is Lilith trying to fix Adam (and people would probably legitimately go off on her over it)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Honestly couldn't tell you what's going on with the cannibal town kids. Like I agree if they're kids who ate human flesh that's a lovely reason to be there but that's kinda the point?
As a subject matter expert put it, "Hell is forever and it's meant to suck a lot"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

My question is why the gently caress do the chuds have this ongoing obsession with nordic mythology? Like chances are you're not descended from vikings you weird chinless wonder.
Probably because Hitler did! If Hitler had been super into Spartan/Greek stuff instead, it would probably change nothing but a few of their decorative images. And even now, they also love Spartans, so it's really just a matter of emphasis.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

I guess what's so funny to me is it's so self imposed. Literally none of the top brass care. Like at all. So the fact they insist on tormenting themselves to fit into their niche group better is just kind of pitiful. Literally nobody likes the Goetia least of all the ones running the show. So their strict adherence to a long outdated power structure just seems out of touch and antiquated at best. It's pure social pressure from among their clique to conform that makes them live like this--literally nothing else.
Sounds realistic tbf

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Considering Adam's behavior I suspect he may demonstrate something of the converse case of Sir Pentious. In other words, I fully expect at least a cameo of Sinner Adam!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Last Call posted:

The only real issue I see with what angelic weapons can or can not do is how Vaggie seemed to had no clue they could be used against other angels.

Do they even train in Heaven? Surely accidents have happened or since it's Heaven is everyone protected.

You think the eye thing would have clued her in that in Hell such things are effective.
Might have been accidents but maybe not beheadings.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Last Call posted:

I credit it to the fandom going nuts about Lucifer and already loving Alastor. Then you put in a song where they're both wanting to slaughter one another and it's a receipe for success.

You got non fandom hearing it's about Lucifer singing and they check it out. It being called Hell's Greatest Dad is going to grab some eyeballs purely for the WTF reaction.

It's a perfect little storm.
All the songs in the show are great even if I’d rate some higher than others. I got shown Loser Bany in a vacuum and it was like “lol. Good song though “. But then I learned the context!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does Amazon do test audiences or anything? Maybe the Hazbin crew got results from the first three episodes and were able to go 'see, the randoms get it,' at which point they could get crazier with it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KORNOLOGY posted:

Amazon took out the original plot of The Boys, they could easily do (or have done) the same to HH.
I've heard they put in a better one in the case of The Boys, or at least they hosed off Garth Ennis's unique style traits

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lammasu posted:

Oh yeah, with all the incest.
As I recall, they (the Wincest people) harassed the real-life wife of one of the actors for getting in the way of Sam and Dean. While I am sure this was merely a handful of maniacs, that sure is an outlier!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

I genuinely have no idea how people get so invested in fictional characters touching peepees. These people stalking writers and actors are the covid Karens of entertainment and they have no idea. Like have they no shame? Are they not embarrassed doing this to somebody in real life? Looking them in the eye while whining about their incest ship? Like how the gently caress do they manage it? I get embarrassed asking for an autograph!
Lowtax was a wife-beating pill enthusiast but he was right about one thing: The internet DOES make you stupid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given Disney went out of their way to make sure Princess and the Frog didn't have genuine voodoo symbols, but then making a cartoon where Lucifer himself is a significant character probably means that barn door is already open no matter what way you slice it.
Does Hazbin have actual voodoo symbols or just patterns with a similar shape? I'm sure some industrious Tumblerite has documented this already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Last Call posted:

They actually do use legit voodoo symbols EXCEPT they edit or modify them slightly. Add a line or two, erase part of circle, edit out something, you know that sort of thing. If you know the symbols you'll still reconize.
good plan. Don’t want to offend the Baron.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

what do you mean they're just roommates :greenangel:
Gals being pals

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, have we seen another intact married couple in the franchise besides M&M (Lucifer and Lilith seem to be at least estranged at the moment and I don’t think it was explicitly established that Moxxie’s mom was actually married to Crimson)?
Hazbin has Charlie/Vaggie and Valentino/Vox although these both seem like 'established relationships' more than 'marriage.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

I walked by a solid Lucifer cosplay at a Starbucks near Sakuracon this morning. Suit, wings, hat and all. I was too lazy to stop to ask for a rubber duck, angry fiddle noises, or a photo, sadly :effort:
How tall were they?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don’t think meat rarity in that sense comes up in Japanese cuisine

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Given that its an Amazon Prime show, the closest we'll get to a Hellaverse game is Charlie as a guest kharacter in Mortal Kombat 1, same as Omni-Man and Homelander.
If they have announcer voice packs, getting one for Alastor would probably move units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think it's because Ben Garrison is thought to have died, with his current comics being ghost-comic'd by his wife, who is equally crazed but has less of that vigor and style.