Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
5th element is still a solid flick. Nice choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

man collateral loving owns just got to the part where foxx has to pretend to be vincent (def part of vincent setting him up as the killer at the end) goddamn.

lol the cops so hype to kill the wrong guy

copy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 16, 2023

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Collateral: 4/5. This poo poo ruled. super tense the whole time. excellent performances from Foxx and Cruise. Felt a little goofy with Vincent's death right at the end but apart from that stellar loving flick. Like i get what they were going for but after all the intensity of everything from the night club on it just felt almost almost comical to end like that.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

moi country let me marry a 14 year old hon hon hon
                                                                              \

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Watched Collateral tonight and it kicked rear end. Great performances and pacing, the writing was mostly great too. It's cool when even small side characters are clever and competent in movies like this, although it made some odd holes in scenes stick out even more. I also thought the cinematography and score were strangely rambling from time to time but never boring, and the story was frantic in a way that was really effective when it gets going. It felt like there were so many ways every scene could have gone, and I was genuinely surprised when mark ruffalo gets killed off pretty early on after having all that screen time lol

Awesome pick, really glad I watched it.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Collateral

very good

foxx is so immediately likeable in this role. i really enjoyed the slow start just following him around on the job, and the music flipping around to show the passage of time

its so fun to follow these two characters. i thought ruffalo and his whole plot thread was a complete dud and just constantly wanted to get back to foxx and cruise, but thats not enough to detract from the movie at all, and of course even if you feel that way, well you get to enjoy ruffalos shocking end

weird thing to call out but the gun shots are so loud compared to the rest of the movie, it makes them really shocking in a way thats appropriate

Fungah! posted:

ps i loved the little mention of the other cabbie who vincent borrowed before just getting killed offhandedly, 100% thats would have happened with max if the night had gone to plan.

in the moment i thought that was corny, 'of course hes in trouble you dont need to spell that out' but thinking it back afterwards yeah its saying what woulda happened to him if he never learned the truth at all, which is very cool

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

weird thing to call out but the gun shots are so loud compared to the rest of the movie, it makes them really shocking in a way thats appropriate

I love when movies do this. My favorite theater experience was watching 1917 in an imax where the gunshots were so loud that I was flinching and jumping in my seat at every one

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah Mann likes to have all the actors train with actual guns and uses extra loud blanks for the added realism. Really solid thriller all the way through. I loved the pairing of the super likeable taxi driver and the cold ruthless killer. 4/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

if you guys haven't seen mann's Heat yet please do so asap. you think the guns are loud here just wait until THAT scene

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Collateral is great, kind of the first rewatch I’ve done with the club but I think it’s the first time I’ve sat down and watched the whole thing, as opposed to catching it in parts on cable back when people did that. Just an electric movie, one scene flowing into the next, the dialogue tense and snappy enough that they feel like action scenes so the movie’s just always moving. Max is immediately likable from the first moment. This might be my favorite Tom Cruise role, I wish he did more villains because he knocks this out of the park.

The scenes where Max and Vincent almost have a weird little camaraderie like when Vincent gets on the radio with Max’s dispatch and takes them to task for trying to get Max to pay out of pocket for cab repairs are so great and watching Max slowly learn from Vincent to grow more of a backbone was amazing, especially the turning point where Max takes command during the meeting with Felix where he’s impersonating Vincent, and then carries that confidence through the rest of the movie, like Vincent wore off on him or Max just never stopped the performance.

The action scenes are fantastic and remind me of a lower-intensity John Wick, the scene where Vincent takes out the two robbers in the alley is probably the best 5-second action scene put to film. I love how matter-of-fact Mark Ruffalo’s death is, he’s dispatched with basically the same suddenness and lack of sentimentality as any of the no-name goons that went down in that scene. Great movie, will probably rewatch in the future.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i kept waiting for them to cut back to the cop plotline with him in the hospital or something lol. movie owned

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

New movie will be posted in like 2 hours lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

New movie will be posted in like 2 hours lol

Thread will be updated in like 8 hours

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

elf help book posted:

Collateral

very good

foxx is so immediately likeable in this role. i really enjoyed the slow start just following him around on the job, and the music flipping around to show the passage of time

its so fun to follow these two characters. i thought ruffalo and his whole plot thread was a complete dud and just constantly wanted to get back to foxx and cruise, but thats not enough to detract from the movie at all, and of course even if you feel that way, well you get to enjoy ruffalos shocking end

in the moment i thought that was corny, 'of course hes in trouble you dont need to spell that out' but thinking it back afterwards yeah its saying what woulda happened to him if he never learned the truth at all, which is very cool

i like the way you get a sense that jamie's max is a genuine and competent guy right out the gate but circumstances and his passive nature have pushed him into living a lie. and then the rest of the movie he plays off vincent whose suave and decisive nature mask a man who doesn't have the backbone to believe in anything. having just recently finished a mission impossible rewatch it was a ton of fun to see tom cruise play such a ruthless villain.

never knew this was a Mann film. the story and the way its paced is definitely a bit crazier than what i'm used to coming from him but the focus on the two leads helps it feel weightier than it would otherwise. need to catch more of his stuff they've been great so far.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Collateral
Jamie Foxx is incredibly likable here. Movie does a great job setting up mood in the first 10 minutes without feeling like a slog. Cruise pulls off the villain role really well, at first making you even kind of root for him, then after the jazz club scene it falls apart. Really glad this was picked, i missed it when it first came out and i don't know if i would have come back around to it otherwise. Only thing i hated was the cell phone scene where theres a bad connection and suddenly everyone is stupid. 8.0/10

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Spoderman couldn't wait to foist this classic onto us!

Charley Varrick dir. By Don Siegel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaqjQWQVAk

quote:

A man, his wife and their friend stage a bloody bank robbery without realizing they are stealing from the Mob.

This movie will expire at the end of the year.

This movie can be found free on Tubi, Youtube, and Quibi.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Just got Collateral in under the wire. Just great moviemaking all around.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Walter Matthau ftw

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nice pick. I caught this once on Turner Classic Movies when I was working in a nursing home.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I've seen Collateral a bunch of times prior to this rewatch, it's my second favorite Mann after Heat. It's also got to be his funniest movie, lots of little funny dialogue moments and a great pratfall from Cruise. The club scene is still iconic and this might be the only Mann film where the cops come in and just completely bungle everything from the get-go. absolutely oozes early-2000s style and I wouldn't have it any other way. love watching Cruise be a slimy bad guy, love watching Foxx slowly grow a spine throughout the film. an absolute all-timer for me

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Walter Matthau ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Walter Matthau ftw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

5th element: 4/5. I forgot how funny this movie was. Really dug the way it cuts between different scenes in a few parts (zorg trading with the pirates and also the bits where the president is listening to Ruby's broadcast). Fun and weird movie. Def agree with Fucker's assessment that it feels like a live action cartoon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Can’t pretend to be objective about The Fifth Element, I saw it in theaters way back in 1997 and probably a dozen times since. It really is a cartoon and I love it, but despite that it’s really impressive how real they made the world feel with the little details like the cigarette filters and the Chinese food guy and the huge trash piles at the airport. gives just enough context to let your mind fill in the rest of this society. As an adult I recognize not all of the scenes work, the big fight scene with Milla is pretty lame and the meeting between zorg and the priest doesn’t make any sense, but everything else is a ton of fun. Bruce Willis and Gary oldman are perfect for their roles and I still get a kick out of the fact they never meet, and I don’t think Corbin even knows that Zorg is his enemy. great 90s flick and makes me sad all the sci-fi we get today is super dour

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Fifth Element

i liked willis and jovovich and tucker, and i liked the design of everything. but i feel like i was never in tune with the humor this was presenting. every scene just felt like a procession of people being dumb in unsurprising ways. like i feel like the gag with multiple people trying to claim the tickets under korbins name should good, but i aint laughing. make sure to always have someone unimportant around to stutter in surprise or disbelief

i dont want to feel like a crank on this.
merry christmas everyone

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fifth element: The first half is almost perfect, just a stupid sci fi romp with good comedy and just enough of a plot to keep things moving along. Then Ruby Rhod shows up and the rest of the movie is just Chris Tucker screaming. I completely checked out after that, could not stand it at all. So I guess 5/5 first half, 1/5 second half averages out to 3 stars.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Charley varrick whipped, effortlessly cool

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I see what you're saying. Half the side characters feel like the same stock sitcom character. It's the only real problem with the movie. It's amazing how much world building they cram into 2 hours. There's a bunch of entertaining moments that have nothing to do with the plot, and it still manages to be a half hour shorter than the usual big scifi adventure film. The alien and costume design are great. The effects hold up well, especially for something made outside of Hollywood.

4/5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Fifth Element

Besson is probably my second favorite pedophile director and this is one of his best movies in hollywood. He tried to do Sci-Fi again with Valerian a few years ago but it definitely didn't land that well because the cgi being everywhere was way too excessive and weird and while he attempted to do the same here, I do think it actually landed a bit well. Bruce Willis is really good in this and Gary Oldman is just being insane as gently caress. People talk about Tucker but honestly I think everyone in the main cast is overacting, including Milla Jovovich but it works well for them nevertherless.

7.5/10

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Who is your #1 pedophile

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This week's Video Pick is....FREE RENT! As our Christmas gift to you, all movies are eligible to review. Additionally, Recommend an unlisted Christmas movie and if someone else reviews it, we'll add it to the OP!

We will launch a new thread for 2024, and everyone is eligible to sign up again. However the wheel will still be spun for the posters who still haven't gotten a turn, which last time I checked consists of
Mekchu
budd dwyer thought
Plutonis
tarranon
Sir Mat of Dickie
Lester

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elf help book posted:

Who is your #1 pedophile

Woody Allen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I recommend Tokyo Godfathers as a Christmas film

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Planning to watch this tonight if I have enough time. Along with my usual Christmas watch of Gremlins

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Who is your #1 pedophile

polanski for me, rosemarys baby ftw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Plutonis posted:

It's so good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

This week's Video Pick is....FREE RENT! As our Christmas gift to you, all movies are eligible to review. Additionally, Recommend an unlisted Christmas movie and if someone else reviews it, we'll add it to the OP!

We will launch a new thread for 2024, and everyone is eligible to sign up again. However the wheel will still be spun for the posters who still haven't gotten a turn, which last time I checked consists of
Mekchu
budd dwyer thought
Plutonis
tarranon
Sir Mat of Dickie
Lester

bad santa

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

i'lll watch this ifyye watch bad santa