Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Count me in op

--------------------------------
     REVIEW ZONE
--------------------------------

The Master (2012)

Malcolm (1986)

House (1977)

The Wrong Guy (1997)

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

Le Samouraï (1967)

Speed Racer (2008)

High Noon (1952)

Streets of Fire (1984)

Repo Man (1984)

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah good choice

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Last time I saw this was when it came out in 2012, I really liked it back then too but I feel like I kind of absorbed it differently this time.

I always love Jonny Greenwood's scores, he's really good at this sort of fever dream vibe and feeling of inevitability. Fits really well with this kind of story where the main character seems to get swept up into things and doesn't have a lot of agency.

Cinematography is amazing, some really great shots like the tracking shot where he's eyeing the party on the yacht in the background before he sneaks on, and that high angle shot on the warship that was in all the trailers. I love the staging in this shot so much, it's gorgeous

Seeing it a second time I picked up on some things I had missed too, I remember it being kind of disorienting the first time through. I remember thinking that Freddy was kind of a powerless character, but this time I realized that he kind of (unintentionally) kills the cult's foothold in America. Dodd has painted himself into a corner, he's surrounded by people who have bought into his bullshit so thoroughly that they behave like unemotional robots and he's realized he hates it. He's bored and restless, he feels trapped by the rules of the cult but he's the one who created them, so there's no way out without completely destroying the image he's built. He talks a lot about being rational and above the crowd, how laughter is an animal noise, etc., but when he's around Freddy he devolves completely. He's fascinated and envious of how impulsive and wild Freddy is, and it rubs off on him. He starts to get sloppy & careless, he starts having emotional outbursts and drinking Freddy's boat fuel booze. So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Anyway I love this movie, everybody in it is amazing and it's insane that nobody won an oscar for it. 5/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

its cool that we never know and that no one ever bothers to explain what DCF means.

yeah I was just thinking about this specific part too. I'm assuming it's probably their version of RPF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_Project_Force but I like that it's left ambiguous

Jenny Agutter posted:

That reminds me, we only see Lancaster do hypnotic regression with women right? Just another example of him and Freddie exhibiting the same basic urges except instead of leading them through bogus treatment to sleep with women Freddie just hands them a note that says “do you want to gently caress?”

that's a good point too, I hadn't noticed that but I think you're right

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the movie I pick will be nowhere near as good as this one and that's a promise

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our next film...

MALCOLM dir. by Nadia Tess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffDBsSgS5Q

The deadline for this film is July 31.

never seen it, looks fun

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

glad everyone is hype for this one, i lived in the block of apartments that now exists where malcolms house was lol. the milkbar side of the street is still the same

lol cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I really enjoyed this, it felt a lot more good-natured and sincere than a lot of "weird guy who's also a savant" movies tend to be, and it was just fun in general. I had an uncle whose personality was very similar to Malcolm's, and it's obvious that the character comes from a place of genuine affection. Actors were all perfect and very natural, and great soundtrack too!

lmao in particular at the guard + elevator scene in the bank, that whole sequence was loving great, as well as the "did they put your dad's head back on?" joke

Very fun movie, I definitely would never have watched it if not for the movie club but I'm glad I did. 4/5 vhs tapes

a lot of the jokes are probably going to be completely missed because Lalor is about 30 mins from Collingwood

thank you, glad I read this before watching that scene lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

This is our next movie as picked by Nostradingus

House dir. by Nobuhiko Ôbayashi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0NWIxl2VJk

This movie will expire by August 7.

House is available to stream in the US on MAX, Hulu, and The Criterion Channel.

fuckin cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Also noticed this

cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's Sub-Actuality's turn! Shoot me a message with your pick and we'll announce it monday.

:hai:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

still not sure what my options are for house. i found it on vimeo but is the movie meant to be in 4:3?

yeah it is

i really want the pick to be true stories

lol I almost picked this but I wanted to mix it up a little

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

whew just wrapp[ed up all five seasons. he sure is a curmudgeon! XD

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

House was loving insane lol. 90 minute fever dream

So many of the transitions and dissolves were so cool, especially the way things would occasionally bleed into each other like the guy from the ramen shop appearing out of nowhere before his scene starts. And tons of creative effects, pretty much constantly.

I really liked the obvious matte backdrops and stuff like the shot on the train where the view through the window becomes a cartoony montage of the areas they're driving through, and the train itself is invisible. With train sounds still audible lol. Aunt dancing with the skeleton was loving rad. Kung fu was the best character by a mile, her theme song and the sudden zooms & cuts whenever she started fighting cracked me up.

Particular highlight: the watermelon guy exploding when Togo says he prefers bananas

Somehow all the random poo poo felt more intentional than I think it usually would, maybe because it was clear that so much effort and care was put into everything. Really enjoyed it, 4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I appreciate how much mileage they got out of the one guy saying HAUSU ominously

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

As a bonus to celebrate four weeks of Movie Club, this week is a surprise DOUBLE FEATURE, as selected by Punished Chuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhpT8PGslA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOOr4nuWFqU

The Sword of Doom dir. by Kihachi Okamoto

Pale Flower dir. by Masahiro Shinoda

Both movies are set to expire on August 21st. Both selections are available on The Criterion Channel service.

Content warning for The Sword of Doom: There is a scene depicting rape contained in the film.

fuckin cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

symbolic posted:

teh sword of d00m

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Wrong Guy is dumb as hell but I love it. I know this has been said many times but the premise of a small family bank being terrorized by an evil super-wealthy farmer cracks me up every time. I agree about the police subplot too, it probably would have been better to leave them out almost entirely. But it's still a solid comedy, some good memorable parts (personal favorite is Dave Foley's delivery of "what kind of a man... has a favorite daughter?"). Not a masterpiece or anything but I'm glad imps were able to enjoy it and I hope more people get to see this one in general. 3/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

it happened again

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ok watchin chucks BULLSHIT picks after i read dandadan

chuxpix

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our movie of the week is a more recent one but still great as chosen by Kagaya Homoraisan

Mandy - Dir. by Panos Cosmatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk

This movie will Expire on Aug 28.

hell yeah. bout time we had a nic cage movie

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh gently caress yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

lol hell yeah i legit was jumpscared when i saw the thread title

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Imo Cage is the best actor currently working. He's simply incredible.

god drat right

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lfg!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

love Gamera, love kaiju, love 90s japan. really fun series, I've watched the showa movies a ton, which I think made the heisei effects and suits look really impressive by comparison. Gamera's rocket legs are always hilarious, and lmfao at the taxi driver barreling through a roadblock because he 'always wanted to do that'. I'll probably keep watching some others in the series now, really good pick!
4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are y'all requiring a rewatch (probably a good idea anyway) to star or otherwise opine about a flick?

I've seen Mandy and The Wrong Guy and think they're both really good and possibly underrated.

May give Gamera a go this evening to get into the flow of the thread but I was just wondering.

I don't know if it's a hard rule, but it's definitely more in the spirit of things to watch them again along with everyone else

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh poo poo good pick

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

I loved the shots of Gyaos nesting on top of the knocked-over Tokyo Tower. I wonder if it was intended as an homage to Mothra making her cocoon in the similarly-knocked over Tower in her debut movie?

yeah those shots were really cool, the miniatures in general looked amazing

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Gamera is so cool lol, Godzilla would have just let Gyaos slice those people in half with its lazer breath but he chose to shield them instead. The fireballs also blowing the poo poo out of the Gyaos ruled.

Gamera is the friend to all children

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Hell yeah beat takeshi ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Le Samouraï was great, Alain Delon is incredibly cool and was perfect for this part, and 60's Paris is just a great environment no matter the context. Loved that Jef's apartment and even the area he lived in were completely grey and washed out, and the only time he spent in colorful places was when he was working. The theme and pacing reminded me a lot of The Day of the Jackal, which obviously took some heavy inspiration from this one. The police inspector and Jane were both fascinating characters too, and great performances from basically everyone in the movie.
4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

guy who's spent two months sayin he's going to pick speed racer: i picked speed racer

lol

gently caress yeah. good pick

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

copy posted:

still remember "more like non-jas" after john goodman just tosses them out the window. hype as hell for this one lol

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Watched Speed Racer, really fun and chaotic. I kind of appreciate when a movie leans that hard into a stylized/cartoony look and sticks with it consistently. The kid who played Spritle was a standout, he acted his heart out and it worked great. Speed himself was kind of flat and forgettable (which I guess sort of fits with what I remember from the original lol) but for the most part everyone was a good fit for the characters. "More like non-jas" is one of the dumbest lines of all time and I love it

3/5 vhs tapes

Leadthumb posted:

Oh yeah and I thought that part where the sides of the track had a series of zebra images animate as they race down the track was cool, even if they probably just rigged it in post or whatever.

Me too, and I'm pretty confident that basically the entire movie was done in post lol

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 18, 2023

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

herculon posted:

Never saw the first one. I’m going to be lost