Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’m in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our very first pick for 2023 Movie Club is....

THE MASTER dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTM8eO1Oec

While we will draw for another movie next Monday, all movies will have a two week period to be watched and reviewed. The deadline for this film is Jul 24.

good loving start, my dude

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

Haven't seen any other PTA films besides this and There Will Be Blood but it's really impressive how he gets such over the top and intense performances out of the leads without it feeling forced.

watch punch drunk love if you want more good stuff. it would have been among the handful of movies i'd pick for this if we hadn't started with a pt anderson.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

itll prove something bitch

cant wait for you to be all, "DURR I DONT GET IT WHY ARE THE SHOTS SO LONG" *pats ur lil head*

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

just finished watching it, god drat what a movie. i hadn't actually seen it before, just been wanting to for a while since it's #2 on my list of PTA films to check out and i figured more people would've seen TWWB already. i'm really bad at analyzing or talking about movies but gonna try my best, haven't read anything spoilered so far so i could come to my own conclusions first

Phoenix and PSH absolutely steal the show, god-tier acting. Phoenix is quite possibly my favorite actor of all time and he nails the vibe of being competent enough to function but unhinged enough to be off-putting, so when Freddie caves into his mad dog side like during his arrest where he goes insane in his prison cell it's less par for the course and more a massive release (also read before and remembered during the movie that him destroying the toilet was purely improv and since it was a historical prison he destroyed a historical artifact lmao). i also mean mad dog rather literally cuz it always feels like PSH has him on a leash tugging him back, as exemplified during the climax where Dodd's singing to Freddie to try and subconsciously coax him back into the fold, but also naturally when Freddie attacks More and the cops in defense of Dodd. inversely, PSH makes Dodd absolutely terrifying in that when he's quiet and subtle he's well-spoken and convincing, and when he raises his voice or loses his temper he's an absolute force of nature that can shout you down and clam you up. in particularly early on i was captivated by the initial questionnaire scene where Dodd just slowly breaks Freddie and his lies down solely by repeating and barraging him with questions. that scene in particularly stood out to me, along with the framing of Dodd eating lunch outside with all his followers aside from Freddie trying to make sense of the wall, as well as him and Freddie being shown to drive opposite directions during the motorcycle scene with the latter two making me think Freddie never did truly connect with the Cause itself, only needing someone - anyone - to connect to and no matter how how far he runs, he can never escape what Dodd ingrained into him, as the final scene shows

think for a first-time viewing i'd give it roughly an 8/10 but i think going back through and being able to pay closer attention would ratchet it up even higher since it feels like there's a lot to dissect beneath the surface. absolutely need to watch more PTA if he cranks out stuff like this. godfuckindamn

yeah it's good

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my favorite scene is the one with laura dern b/c she's a loving angel and if we crossed paths i would hold my breath so as not to befoul the air around her

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

it's just that simple

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
scariest mission impossible villain hands down.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
after watching it a second time, i'm not sure the title refers to dodd despite multiple people calling him the master. peggy is the biggest deviation from the scientology tale aside from freddie himself, being so dominating of dodd privately and even wielding power over freddie during his conditioning. this occurred to me in new york when they're in the hotel room in nyc and she says, "never defend, always attack" which is a well known quote from L Ron and still the bedrock of scientology PR today. i don't think it's intended to be a complete subversion of the charismatic cult leader that dodd is based on but tied with some pretty homosexual urges from dodd helps to show that he's not the master of himself or the people around him, the people who follow are just weak enough to follow a weak man

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

adding the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford to my picklist

i almost made this joke but then iwas like, 'wait maybe i should pick that'

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
as is tokyo drift

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
whew just wrapp[ed up all five seasons. he sure is a curmudgeon! XD

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

gently caress you

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

teh sword of d00m

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
movie of the week: every jackie chan movie

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Imo Cage is the best actor currently working. He's simply incredible.

he's also usually miscast. his range isn't the same as it was 20 years ago or 30 years ago. he's still great tho

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are y'all requiring a rewatch (probably a good idea anyway) to star or otherwise opine about a flick?

I've seen Mandy and The Wrong Guy and think they're both really good and possibly underrated.

May give Gamera a go this evening to get into the flow of the thread but I was just wondering.

it's legal to post. but if the facts dont add up, i ramp.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

guy who's spent two months sayin he's going to pick speed racer: i picked speed racer

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fucker posted:

take ppl that havent posted itt in a month off the wheel imo

how bout you calm down, fucker.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm going to watch speed racer on my phone >: )

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

all that said if th next person picks a japanese movie i'll personally perform hokuto no ken moves on them

uh >.>

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ok crank 2. this movies dogshit in a big way, idk i guess i cn see what other people like but it can kiss my rear end. i'm gonna watch speed racer again. ½

it has the benefit of not having the worst sex scene in film history, an honor held by Crank One.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i watched speed racer and the editing was the best part.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

With music done by oingo boingo Danny Elfmans band

of i love little girls fame? cool... cool. well see ya.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ddinkins picked this next jam.

Memories Of Murder - dir. by Bong Joon Ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_HQwQU8ls

This movie will expire October 30th.

I cannot find this streaming for free so you'll have to look somewhere else :iiam:

super sick movie. bong joon-ho's output from this to parasite is crazy consistent.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
yeah it turned out to be the guy the detectives thought, only came out a few years ago.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

justwatch pointed me to this site i didnt know about (but i didnt end up using it) https://www.kanopy.com/en it lets you stream movies for free with your library card have any of you used it before

i think there's another service like this, too. many libraries have a streaming service you get access to with your library card

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

that was legit my other pick next to The Master. hell yes

My man

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

Synedoche, New York

im not sure i 100% got it but more like synapse, new york amirite

its very very very very sad

but i did laugh at a few scenes

i thought the realtor showing off the house and trying to sell it while it was on fire was funny

and i thought the way they described how his father died of cancer was hilarious and then that extra small coffin put me over the edge

as i said i dont get how some of the events are connected, i guess uh...

the play is a man on a deathbed reliving his memories, but as he slips further and further into the lonesome oblivion these memories begin failing him and end up becoming distorted, and as the cast which are his brains synapses start fading, he ends up alone in the shell of his brain with only one memory left to cling to as he passes on

that said, PSH as the director of the brain might not even be the actual physical person, i get some hints it might be his daughter? its the little girl dying maybe? im still pretty confused

reminded me a lot of The Master

but yeah overall i liked it but now im depressed thanks rear end in a top hat
10/10

i'm impressed you managed to overthink this movie

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

this killed me 100% vvvv

when adele is like I can't i have three canvases to pack up and the camera shows the postage stamp size painting

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
omg cayden. just say yes to hazel for the love of god. when she asks him out for a drink he's literally pawing at the glass but can't admit he wants one of the few things he has the ability to achieve

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Synechdoche, New York. Moving, bleakly funny, and terrifying. Despite a two-hour runtime and covering what must be two-third's of caden's life the film has a great sense of momentum due to some clever time progression that also functions as thematic reinforcement. Watching caden's life, relationships, health, and psyche rapidly deteriorate is brutal, so relatable are the fears of sickness and death that we all face in our lives. psh shows a lot of nuance playing someone preoccupied with things outside of his agency and neglectful of what choices are his to make, but kaufman reinforces often that our decisions unfold into consequences that could be decades away (hazel perishing in the fire just as she feared, just after finally connecting with caden T__T) I feel the most climactic part of the movie is when Caden and Hazel finally connect after Caden speaks for himself for once in his life, love the line "i breathe your name in every exhilation." Others attribute thoughts to caden that he sheepishly confirms all throughout the movie and to see caden boldly and truthfully communicate is triumphant and gives a sense of hope. i love the decision to slowly show the end of caden's life after that night, death still comes after your greatest accomplishments.

honstly my only problem with this movie is that on my fourth time watching this movie i noticed the prosthetics on psh a lot more which pulled me out a little bit. the latter half is the more challenging and emotional section and psh's face being laden with heavy makeup and silicone inhibits his performance a bit in the second half. 4.5/5

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the scene of him adding artificial tears and then immediately crying was amazing. 9/10.

so many big laughs i forgot about. i died when he's like 'you can stay in my parents' room' and it's covered in blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

worst movie doctors of all time imo

it's refreshing to see a movie that acknowledges that going to the doctor loving sucks