Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sounds fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sick movie. great pick

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

There's definitely Australian horror

wake in fright fits this bill and it’s incredible

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tarranon posted:

seeing everyone glued to their tvs to watch the pre-fight interviews and match was an odd reminder at how far boxing seems to have fallen out as a spectator sport. i think i know more people that box irl than people that enjoy watching fights. maybe mma just took their audiences?

yeah, boxing hit a major peak when tv first came out. because early tv broadcasts were all live and even switching between cameras was tough for a short while, boxing was uniquely primed for televising. since it’s a small ring and just two guys you can put a camera in one spot, see what’s going on for yourself the whole time. and everybody people having tiny blurry low res black and white tvs where you could barely make out a ball, boxing was tv’s best and most legible sport until instant replay came out. instant replay wasn’t popularized until jfk’s funeral broadcast in 1963. the army-navy game that year took it and ran and football started to become the tv sport it is today.

but even after that boxing still had some of that juice in 77 because it was still exciting and tastes don’t change quite that quickly. plus the sport was still riding the wave that was mohammed ali. take into account that in 1977 there are only three real networks, and on top of that the average american watched like 6 hours of tv a day. you’re just gonna pick up so many eyes. another world.

pay-per-view was probably the biggest factor that killed boxing and it was still pretty experimental in 1977. because with ppv you have to have cable and shell out big bucks every time you want to see a big fight. each ppv (and to the same effect, HBO) match makes huge money that the promoters get addicted to but you never gain new fans that way and you fatigue your existing ones. boxing was already a shell of its former self by the time mma took off

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

watched collateral.

i’d never seen a michael mann movie before, only some bits and pieces of miami vice episodes on cable. the guy knows what he’s doing. in addition to his style, the film’s got an incredibly solid premise, high stakes, and every scene has its place.

in particular the relationship between jamie foxx’s character and tom cruise’s is what makes this shine. you see tom cruise being a friend, and even when it gets revealed to be a ruse, that he just visited jamie foxx’s mom to threaten her later, it’s more than that. like he still actually kind of is his friend. because he’s a contract killer and can only either make friends with other killers (risky for him) or non killers (risky for them) he’s starved for connection and legitimately making it with everyone he meets before he kills them. he’s well read and has a curated taste that’s just wasted on this solitary violent life, stuck on a rung on the criminal ladder. then there’s jamie foxx who doesn’t doesn’t have the money or prestige but is full of potential, even if he’s wasting it. tom cruise is taking pride in being an older brother figure to him even if it’s only for a night before he kills him.

i love this kind of movie, where you get all that stuff to think about the days after you watch it but it’s still all just in the text, not even moving into the subtext. the kind of mainstream movie you wish they could all be. good pick, i’m glad i watched it.