Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

sounds fun

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

the movie I pick will be nowhere near as good as this one and that's a promise

:hai:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Watched The Master, great pick.

Great cast, great score, insane screenplay. I really liked the way the story wraps up near the end, you finally get so much insight into these two, especially freddie, in just a couple scenes after spending the whole movie on the outside. Really well made.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just watched House. The editing absolutely killed it for me. It was silly and fun and I'm glad I watched it, but it also gave me a headache and there's no way I would ever watch it again lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Juts finished The Wrong Guy, it's so stupid, I love it. Everyone is just saying the dumbest poo poo all the time and playing it completely straight lmao
The main cop guy drags, but dave foley, jennifer tilly and the killer totally make up for it.
I had never even heard of this movie, great pick!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

movie of the week: every jackie chan movie

oh hell yes

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I love Gamera

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

That's the first Gamera movie I've seen. I must watch the rest. Thanks for the pick!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Badass!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

starbarry clock posted:

gamera loving PWNED!!!!

I'm watching gamera 2 right now and it rules!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Hype as hell to watch speed racer.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished Speed Racer. What an insane production. I really liked the plot of all things and was super amped when the sister showed up with the grand prix invite just as speed is losing his way. The effects were all over the place but they kept the vibe consistent throughout the movie so you kind of get used to it by the end lol. They clearly wanted Tim Curry for the bad guy but the cast overall was pretty good, Racer X and Trixie were standouts. I just wish the guy playing speed would have had a little more energy, he played it so straight and dramatically that it made him kind of distracting, they should have had him ham it up a little more or something.

It's a mixed bag but it's unique and fun enough to recommend to anyone just for the novelty alone.
What a bizarre movie, great pick!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Oh yeah and I thought that part where the sides of the track had a series of zebra images animate as they race down the track was cool, even if they probably just rigged it in post or whatever.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

Something I noticed about Hana-bi was how Japanese movies seem to be a lot quieter than American ones, both tonally and literally. It had a typically excellent Joe Hisaishi soundtrack but there was a lot of time with no music at all, or any sound really. Makes the movie feel kinda lonely

Guy who picked House: Man other movies are so quiet.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lmbo

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Never saw the first one. I’m going to be lost

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about speed racer.

Not in any sort of profound way, just the snake oiler guy shouting let's pinch these turds off and speed saying get that weak poo poo off my track popping into my head occasionally while i'm trying to work or play DQV.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

it's titled Going Outside

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

High noon loving rules. All the characters are great and the way all their little stories and histories intersect to just implode this dude's life was awesome. My favorite shot was the one from amy and helen's view as they ride past him to the train, there's a shot of him standing alone under the marshall sign just alone and shrinking as they leave. Great pick, I'm definitely recommending this movie to people in the future.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

High noon was so good wtf. Never would have watched it in a million years, I'm so stupid.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

Was fun to see Lloyd Bridges play a total piece of poo poo too lol.

The way he just dumps water on him after the fight for no reason lmao, like it doesn't wake him up and he doesn't help him up either. He's just all *splash* keep the change. The more I think about it the better the movie gets.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

BBV movie club rules.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ddinkins posted:

High Noon is a tremendously good film. So well-shot, acted, scored, and scripted. I think my favorite moment was right after Kane was rejected at the church; the look on his face was unforgettable. Great performances all around. John Wayne was such a hack lmao

This, the heel turn from his friend lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I think High noon is is one of my favorite movies now lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ddinkins posted:

lol the poster looks like it could have been for a John Waters film

It looks AI generated lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I watched Tommy. I gave it a shot, but it's not for me.

elf help book posted:

why does sally get married to a little frankenstein

Also this lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Solid pick. Nice animation in this

No one had picked anything animated yet so I figured I'd go with an all-timer. This is one of those formitive movies my folks would put on when I was too little to really grasp them. Like this and nausicaa and dark crystal, or like time bandits or willow or something like that was just always on in the background growing up.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished secret of nimh. Been a long time since I've seen this and was pretty surprised by the quick pacing. Loved the character designs and a lot of the performances felt really natural. Kinda strange that the magic stone that Jonathan leaves her has zero explanation whatsoever lol. It's got such a mysterious and charming atmosphere throughout the whole movie, and all the art is so cool. It makes me want to read the book just to check out how different it is.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

ok but like for real? i'm docking 1.5 stars from this movie because its been such a pain in my rear end to find streaming. cant get on kanopy, its not on archive.org and i cant rent it on youtube.

Fungah! posted:

also its a pain in the rear end to google because th name is the name of a month. -2 stars.

Fungah! posted:

renting it on google tripped 2fa and i cant remember my google password. -2.5 stars.

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

copy posted:

next pick is telnet starwars for perfect coverage

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

fun pick leadthumb. ★★★

:cheers:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fucker posted:

/
                                    /
                                  /
                                /
                              /

;lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

moi country let me marry a 14 year old hon hon hon
                                                                              \

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Watched Collateral tonight and it kicked rear end. Great performances and pacing, the writing was mostly great too. It's cool when even small side characters are clever and competent in movies like this, although it made some odd holes in scenes stick out even more. I also thought the cinematography and score were strangely rambling from time to time but never boring, and the story was frantic in a way that was really effective when it gets going. It felt like there were so many ways every scene could have gone, and I was genuinely surprised when mark ruffalo gets killed off pretty early on after having all that screen time lol

Awesome pick, really glad I watched it.