Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ash Crimson posted:

it's a song about domestic abuse bro
Precisely.

Goddamn, that was a fun movie. I laughed, I cried. The movie is in fact critiquing both patriarchy and matriarchy. The Barbies were mean to the Kens without even thinking about it, because Ken is and always has been a Barbie accessory. Then, at the end, the Kens get only partial self-government: they can be lower-court justices but not Supreme Court justices. https://twitter.com/kyalbr/status/1682969851273572353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I do like that this film walked into a thunder storm with a lightning rod, and anyone who gets mad at is is literally getting mad at "The Barbie Movie".
Nice phrase! I was wondering as I left if this movie will have much appeal to Barbie-playing children. The ones in the theater I visited were pretty silent after the big America Ferrera speech. It is definitely a movie for adults and probably teens; I wonder how many of the jokes will land with people who don't remember the earlier Barbies and aren't picking up on the feminist text.

I'm not saying it should be for children; I'm saying a lot of adults who are there only for the children will be surprised.

I thought those guitar chords were Wonderwall. Yes, I did spend the entire 1990s trapped under children in a dark cave with no shadows on the wall.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

All the people I know would buy Ordinary Barbie in a heartbeat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fangz posted:

Well, in the end the protagonist chooses to leave Barbie land and live in the "real" world, doesn't she? Real world patriarchy (as opposed to the cartoonish version) can't be *that* bad if she chooses that.
The point is that she specifically leaves because she feels real emotions now, and they don't fit in the Barbie world. Hence Ruth's gentle questioning about "You do realize you're going to die, right?" It's not that patriarchy is great, it's that this Barbie is no longer willing to be happy all the time.

The movie doesn't provide a solution to sexism and gender roles. I don't honestly see how it could. It says "This sucks", demonstrates how it sucks for everybody, and leaves that there to simmer.

Fashion point: Did anybody else note that Weird Barbie's hair got less chopped off and her marker face got less extreme? In the very last scene she's got a great undercut and in-scale color lines on her face.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rarity posted:

I mean every time women do anything it circles back to "but what about the men?"
No, Ken is an objectively pitiful [if evil] character, and that's fair. The movie is Barbie's, and Barbie in fact offers the way out of Ken's cage. He's an ultimately tragic figure, and Gosling hits the performance out of the park. I've seen a lot of happy online discussions about the ending and about Barbie and about Jirl Power; Ken's a side-note.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

ncuti gatwa ken is definitely just emma mackey barbie's gay friend

also I did like this movie but I feel after sleeping on it it is dangerously close to being Ken the Movie instead of Barbie the Movie
Barbie is the protagonist and Ken is offscreen for significant parts of her journey. On the other hand, Ryan Gosling gives a great comedic performance, and what are you going to do?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The funny thing about Video Barbie is that the FBI was concerned about people spying on children, which is why the product was withdrawn.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You make a valid point. Barbie is glittery chiffon sewed together with lead weights. I am just so grateful to see the lead weights brought up AT ALL, and of course for the glittery chiffon, that I'm not paying enough attention to the Frankensteining.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I don't think a movie has to have core themes. It is absolutely fun to analyze them (btw, thanks for the Foucaltian analysis upthread, that was awesome!) though.

Yeah, the Mattel board took WAY too much of the movie. Maybe it's just that I'm not a Will Ferrell gal.

e: Doc Fission, I think the point is that Ruth is Barbie's God creator. It's different when your creator gives you permission to do something than when your owner gives you permission. The creator doesn't play with/manipulate you; the creator helps you comprehend yourself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

They could sell a million of Ken's Mojo Dojo and I bet they will. People will "ironically" buy them and display them.

I did wish, a lot, that in the final shot of Barbieland there had been a little pointer to Ken Street. Surely the Kens deserve a street with their own houses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I thought the husband was adorkable. He's giving it his all and ... missing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I boohooed, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GateOfD posted:

any watchers actually had the toys, were you like "ohhh" when seeing ones you had as a kid that were thrown in the background thru out the movie
Totally. I didn't own Growing Up Skipper, but I sure remember her. And some of the outfits I'm pretty sure I owned, although most of them are after my Barbie-buying years.

Also I squeed out loud when the old lady introduced herself as Ruth.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

That's straight-up not true within the text of the film. Gloria repeatedly comments on how all the toys within Barbieland were ones she had growing up.

Which is a neat trick, because Gloria is 40something, at least, and Growing Up Skipper was released in 1975 and didn't last long.

Rarity posted:

Every girl has had a weird Barbie

I think the odds of having had a weird Barbie are a lot higher if you have a destructive sibling, either very young or just obnoxious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Computer Serf posted:

:shuckyes:

Barbie is a 2023 American fantasy comedy film directed by Greta Gerwig, who also wrote it with Noah Baumbach.

The thematic storyline serves as a playground, a dollhouse of narrative elements open for interpretation by the audience. Gretta can try to define intention of canon, but as La mort de l'auteur, The death of the author suggests - art work is ultimately in the minds of the audiences interpretations.

So Barbie the film serves more as a framework to play with, as we can see in reality with everyone grasping for some sort of context and meaning when ultimately it is us who create the reality of our society and global toy manufacturing narratives.

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

dodgeblan posted:

I wonder if you weren't someone who has encountered the same speech a thousand times verbatim would it be effective? Does that person exist?
I am terminally online and that speech expressed my rage. It went on too long, but overall I was glad it was there.

I thought Gloria's husband was adorable. Solemnly practicing Spanish on Duolingo, and being overjoyed when he got one question right, was sweet. He has a Hispanic wife and daughter, he's trying, and he's not very good at it. Note that the daughter didn't say "You're a jerk, dad", she said "Appropriation", meaning "I get that you're trying, but not that phrase."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 1, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's not unusual for blockbusters to have "progressive" (whatever that means) views, but for a blockbuster to have in-your-face feminism? I don't remember the last time that happened. You may be able to cite a speech here, a speech there, but when was a blockbuster completely focused on the patriarchy and what it means and oh, yeah, good gags?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thunderspanks posted:

He said "blockbuster"

She, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GateOfD posted:

ones that were actually successful? no.

last one was the female ghostbusters, and that was a trainwreck

I am apparently the only person in the world who loved the all-woman Ghostbusters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so how are you defining terms like "feminism" and "patriarchy"? There are self-proclaimed feminists who are hardcore reactionaries (e.g. Rowling), and The Barbie Movie talks a lot about patriarchy, without much along the lines of anticapitalism. It's a blind spot.
Show me a blockbuster movie where a character looks directly at another character and makes a lengthy speech about how the patriarchy is oppressing her. Show me one where "the patriarchy" is mentioned repeatedly, and is furthermore instantiated and recognized. You're trying to shift the grounds here. The fact that Rowling calls herself a feminist doesn't mean that the movies based on her work make any attempt to address feminism.

quote:

Why is the focus exclusively on the idea-of-a-doll and not the actual process of making and selling the plastic toys? Actual plastic Barbie dolls are rarely onscreen in this film.
At this point you're touching on "Why isn't this the movie I would make, with the same IP?" Gerwig made the movie that interested her, touching on the themes she found funny and/or cared about.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cessna posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Thelma and Louise [1991]
Alien/Aliens [1979, 1986]
Hidden Figures
Mulan [1998]

(That's just off the top of my head.)
Dates mine.

Thelma and Louise is about how much it sucks to be a woman in our society. Hidden Figures is about how much it sucks to be Black and a woman in our society. Mad Max: Fury Road is about how much it sucks to be a woman in a dystopian society.

There is a big difference between being a movie with strong feminist themes and being a movie that has this speech.

quote:

"It is literally impossible to be a woman. You are so beautiful, and so smart, and it kills me that you don't think you're good enough. Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow we're always doing it wrong.

"You have to be thin, but not too thin. And you can never say you want to be thin. You have to say you want to be healthy, but also you have to be thin. You have to have money, but you can't ask for money because that's crass. You have to be a boss, but you can't be mean. You have to lead, but you can't squash other people's ideas. You're supposed to love being a mother, but don't talk about your kids all the drat time. You have to be a career woman but also always be looking out for other people. You have to answer for men's bad behavior, which is insane, but if you point that out, you're accused of complaining. You're supposed to stay pretty for men, but not so pretty that you tempt them too much or that you threaten other women because you're supposed to be a part of the sisterhood.

"But always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful. You have to never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line. It's too hard! It's too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you! And it turns out in fact that not only are you doing everything wrong, but also everything is your fault.

"I'm just so tired of watching myself and every single other woman tie herself into knots so that people will like us. And if all of that is also true for a doll just representing women, then I don't even know."

If the word "patriarchy" appears in any of the movies you list, I'm going to be very surprised.

e: Fabulous interview with Gerwig herself, right before the movie opened. The interviewer asks some very intelligent questions.

ee: The Barbie Movie isn't the holy grail of movies. It has significant flaws. But it is doing one thing (see above) that I have not seen a movie do in a long time, if ever.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 1, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cessna posted:

This seems to be a VERY fine distinction.

Of course I can't find a movie with that speech - each movie has a unique script. And use of the term "patriarchy" in everyday non-academic speech is a relatively recent development.

Oh, there have absolutely been strong feminist movies, going way way back early in the 20th century, and for all I know late in the 19th. We are in total agreement. (Do I get to claim His Girl Friday? Even though Cary Grant is constantly trying to manipulate Rosalind Russell and failing?) Here's what I originally said:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not unusual for blockbusters to have "progressive" (whatever that means) views, but for a blockbuster to have in-your-face feminism? I don't remember the last time that happened. You may be able to cite a speech here, a speech there, but when was a blockbuster completely focused on the patriarchy and what it means and oh, yeah, good gags?
I stand by that. Characters in Barbie are consistently saying out loud, and not leaving you to infer it from the plot, that the patriarchy is bad and has bad effects on everybody. This is something I don't remember seeing before in blockbusters. I see women treated shabbily, perhaps saying they're treated shabbily because they're women, out loud, but I don't remember seeing a blockbuster that was entirely, explicitly focused on (a kind of) feminism. I have seen blockbusters where people monologued about justice, or patriotism, or were [the events of the movie] really worth it. I haven't seen a monologue about how much it sometimes sucks to be a woman.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm genuinely fascinated by the idea that films about black women fighting back against oppression doesn't count as sufficiently feminist because it's too intertwined with the hyper-masculine black liberation movement or whatever.
What? I said nothing remotely like that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Xealot posted:

As if, the added complexity of Hidden Figures regarding Blackness in its feminism distracts from the purity of its feminist message, a "problem" Barbie does not have.
I am honestly baffled by this. I was responding to a list of movies. I said that two of them dealt with being women, and one dealt with being Black and a woman. I don't know what else I could have done; it would have been ghastly to refer to Hidden Figures only as it dealt with women. Again, I was responding to a list, and I was replying to that list. I did not in any way say or imply that Hidden Figures was lesser because the characters were both Black and women.

I'm not saying that there aren't other feminist movies. I am saying that this particular movie did something different; essentially what Computer Serf said.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Uh, so what's the feminist difference between a film that deals with women, and a film that deal with being black women?
At no point did I say there was a feminist difference. I said that, in this list of films dealing with discrimination against women, two dealt with women [and I treated White as an unmarked state, and I apologize for this] and one dealt with Black women. I didn't make a distinction of quality or feminism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I don’t think anyone in this thread was ever trying to rank feminist films or say one was more feminist than the other. All those mentioned are undeniably important parts of feminist film canon.
Instead we got The Barbie As The Concept of The Ideal Woman - The Movie, complete with a classic Maiden (Sasha)/Mother (Gloria)/Crone (Ruth) trifecta showing up, Barbie herself being born Athena-like into a literally depicted Ur-Girl Consciousness, and a classic The Goddess Returns To Her Man-Destroyed Queendom narrative that others in this thread have already noted bears a powerful resemblance to myths of Inarra. Which is exactly how and why it can set a stage to powerfully make universal pronouncement that Feminism and Womanhood Rocks and Life As A Woman In An Unequal World Sucks But Is Real At Least in a way that the other films mentioned can’t quite say in quite the same way.
[snipped for length]

:perfect:

Extra row of tits posted:

The best joke is the sudden voice over when Barbie is crying and saying no matter what she does she is ugly “Note to film makers, Margot Robbie is the wrong person to hire if you want to make this point”.
Agreed.

trevorreznik posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/02/barbie-movie-flops-south-korea-feminism

I think this is an interesting viewpoint in terms of how the feminism of Barbie is received versus other movies. Whether it's simply marketing or not, some people perceive it much differently than other movies.

For comparison, Fury Road made 26m there, barely below the UK for the #1 market outside the US.
South Korea's pop culture Thing about feminism being bad in all ways, such that women have been fired for making what are alleged to be feminist gestures, scares the pants (dress today, actually) off me.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

notenome posted:

As for the Barbie movie, most people seem to agree it was about as good as it could be given the obvious constraints. Gerwig has already noted she had to fight for the scene of Barbie meeting the elderly lady, which gives you an idea of where the studio's head was at
That's part of it for me: This movie, built around marketing a Marvel IP, has no right to be as good as it is.

I felt the same way, for different reasons, about A Knight's Tale. I took a lot of chivalric romance/Chaucer/general medieval stuff in college, and my kids dragged me to this. I was seething, based on the commercials, because of just how bad this looked and in particular just how awful the costumes looked and in general I was up my own heraldry-bedecked butt.

Then I sat down, the people at the tournament burst into "We will rock you", and I went "ohhhhh... this has entirely different plans than I thought going in."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Oh my god can we talk less about putting Barbie in a tier list of important feminist films and more about how more modern films need choreographed dance sequences? That's what I think the takeaway should be from Barbie. Give me at least two solid dance scenes per movie or I'm walking out.
Correct. I also want a feature-length movie that is built around Tom Holland dancing like he did to "Umbrella".

(If you missed it, it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0nNTklOKRA)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

But I think it’s interesting that, in the film, that has no effect on the real world they eventually return to. They were able to stop the dominance of Kendom over Barbieland, but that’s it. Which is fine, because in the most optimistic sense it at least brought a mother and daughter closer, and I imagine that effect rippled into the theater audiences. But symbolically I don’t think it goes much farther than reconciling Nancy Pelosi (the mom) with AOC (the more radical daughter).
This is a great point. It does happen pretty often in portal fantasies that you are able fix the world that's behind the portal, but can't fix your own. Stuff's great in Narnia, but back in England it's still post-WWII doldrums.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Haha I never notice his name is actually "And Ken" not just Ken.

Oh, I missed that, too. Poor dude.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

I like that the barbies win by being shrews and not letting the kens vote. Voter suppression is totally cool!
If you want a matriarchy, you're going to have to break a few eggs.

Somebody upthread mentioned this already, but the contrast between Ryan Gosling on press tour and Ken is very funny in retrospect. Ryan is sweetly talking about Kenergy and being Kenough, and then Ken's kind of an rear end in a top hat doofus.

e: Actors are not their characters, duh. I'm merely pointing out that Ryan LIED TO US about what Kenergy actually turned out to be. Betrayal is painful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You cannot escape this movie. I just got mail from my favorite nursery advertising all their pink or magenta flowers for your Dream Garden <= in Barbie font.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

This happy romantic ending is what ended up in My Fair Lady
:eng101: And Shaw did write out an epilogue saying what happened to everybody. Eliza did marry Freddy Eynsford Hill and start a flower shop on the Colonel's dime, the finances were rocky because both of them knew nothing about business, but they sorted it out. Eliza's father became a professional diner-out.

quote:

It is astonishing how much Eliza still
manages to meddle in the housekeeping at Wimpole Street in spite of the shop and
her own family. And it is notable that though she never nags her husband, and
frankly loves the Colonel as if she were his favorite daughter, she has never got out
of the habit of nagging Higgins that was established on the fatal night when she
won his bet for him.

Shaw blathers on for pages

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I read -- I hope not here -- that Kate McKinnon can't do Barbie-style splits , so the set designer worked around that by putting leg holes in the sets at carefully out-of-sightline locations and propping a prosthetic leg in the right position. I love that sort of movie detail.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aside: I just saw a YouTube video rhapsodizing about Richard Gere's dancing in Chicago... while running footage of him (purportedly) filmed from the back, interspersed with long close-ups of two dancing feet. Ah, movie magic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You know who originated the role on Broadway? Jerry loving Orbach. Who had a distinguished Broadway career, including El Gallo in The Fantasticks.

God forbid movies should cast triple-threat actors instead of stars.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-oppenheimer-box-office-1235542025/
In their opening weekends, Barbie's audience was 69% female and Oppenheimer's was 62% male.

So, 38% of the people who went to see Oppenheimer were women (gender binary, bah). That seems like quite a large number to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The book is objectively pro-fascist, and I'll take my answer offline, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Valentin posted:

the winking "there will be just enough vaguely queer-related imagery and symbols for you to latch onto in this movie if you want to make that reading vaguely viable despite it not cohering very well with the movie and being fully deniable" approach the film takes, along with closer to fine

TIL Birkenstocks are queer culture. I'm so old I think they're granola-liberal culture (which does obviously overlap for obvious reasons obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm baffled by the reading that Gloria's husband is a loser. All we know about him is that he's trying to learn Spanish to bond with his wife and kid, but he's really bad at it (witness his being pleased to defeat Duolingo). It seemed sweet to me: do something you're bad at, but keep trying because it's important.