Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The conversation about whether the screenwriter or director had more say in Starship Troopers is exceedingly silly. No matter the ideologies of the specific creatives, you can watch the movie and it's ridiculously obvious within thirty literal seconds that it's mocking blind jingoism.

People bringing up "Starship Troopers is secretly critiquing fascism" like it's a fun fact is always annoying. It's not a secret, it announces its intentions immediately and loudly.

Boom316 posted:

I never heard of all these satire rumors, but I wouldn't believe a word of them. Satire is generally more obvious and/or more cynical than that movie seemed to be. It was tounge-in-cheek, I'll say that, but I doubt Verhoven is smart enough to do a satire. (Does anyone ever notice how often a director is blamed for a writer's shortcomings? I mean, at some point the director should be the problem too, but do they really deserve all the bad credit?)

Bolding mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole joke is about Barbie's famous lack of genitals being subverted. You're thinking into it way too hard.

Also just how absolutely fuckin' stoked she is to go to a gynecologist, which I have on good authority stands in contrast to the typical level of excitement that such a visit would engender to the point of comedic dissonance. And also speaks to the "here's yet another loving thing that women need to deal with" while also being thematically consistent with the whole "if you want to be real rather than just a doll/archetype you're going to have to deal with the fact that being human is often messy and painful".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Not getting that Starship Troopers is satirical is the product of either being young enough that you haven't developed the capacity to examine the media you consume at all, or of being very stupid.

There is a scene where a recruitment officer tells the protagonists as they are signing up that "The mobile Infantry made me the man I am today", and then turns in his chair, revealing that he is missing three limbs.

The camera loving lingers on it for gently caress's sake.

How you can see that and not wonder if anything else you are watching should perhaps be viewed through the lens of satire is completely beyond me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Skulker posted:

The only thing we see the husband do is make mistakes and look a bit awkward. His only scene with other characters features him being corrected, immediately and loudly, by his family. A badass thing Gloria does is immediately highlighted as being nothing to do with him. I don't think he's a loser, but I wouldn't judge anyone for having that reading.

Wow that's terrible. You know what would be crazy though? Imagine if any or all of the above were applied to depictions of women at any point of human history. Why, that would be one wacky and far out alternative reality, wouldn't it?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The humour is that our expectation that she is on her way to a job interview (as is coded in the scene immediately preceding the ending) is subverted quite strikingly, coupled with the incongruity of her excitement at being about to undergo a gynecological examination (which is typically viewed as unpleasant to receive).

This is neither subtle nor difficult to interpret.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ram dass in hell posted:

yes that is the text congratulations to you guys on watching the movie

the subtext whether intentional or not is that having a vagina and seeing a gynecologist is akin to your job interview for womanhood. that's the weird part. that's the faint hint of jk rowling politics that the people talking about it being off in tone compared to the rest of the more mainstream liberal diet woke perspective of the rest of the movie, are referring to

Throughout the entire film it is clear that Barbie both regards herself and is regarded as a woman, and Ken regards himself and is regarded as a man. Their gender is affirmed through Ken's desire to enforce the patriarchy and Barbie's desire to oppose it. Barbie's transformation at the end of the film bestows humanity upon her, however her womanhood has never been in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CelticPredator posted:

they want genitals

Barbie's attitude towards having genitals throughout the movie is entirely ambivalent, evidenced by the extraordinarily blase manner in which she mentions her lack of genitals matter-of-factly when subjected to the ogling of human men. Her transformative journey is spurred by a desire to deal with her existential crisis and this is resolved via her accepting the mantle of humanity despite the fact that this will introduce complexity and unpleasantness to her existence. Her acquisition of genitals is ultimately tangential to her arc of attaining humanity, not a driving force behind it