Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Abydos Aztecs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol get hosed Tollans

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pegasus Galaxy is such a toilet. It’s just wraiths and nazis and peasants

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're confused, we live in the Milky Way

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Despite Jack being a Star Trek fan, it's Daniel that tries to be the moderator on impact. Well, some of the time.

Actually, was the Prime Directive even a thing in the original series? Jack's definitely an original series guy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm pretty sure the Prime Directive was a result of Kirk's shenanigans in TOS.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

FFT posted:

Despite Jack being a Star Trek fan, it's Daniel that tries to be the moderator on impact. Well, some of the time.

Actually, was the Prime Directive even a thing in the original series? Jack's definitely an original series guy.

Yes, but it was called General Order 1

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land someplace and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel!'"

"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."

"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork…"

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

There's the Oracle of Seasons ring system Merlin set up, that combines transport and gates. Not asgard though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna say Asgard transporters through gates won't work. As you need to know the precise location of your destination when transporting. And adding in wormholes into that? I don't think it CAN work, sir.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just beam them inches away from the gate and add some forward momentum

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

blatman posted:

just beam them inches away from the gate and add some forward momentum

Like onto a big conveyor that then slowly moves material through the gate to P3W-787

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Asgard can probably use gravity tech to set up some kind of railgun for everything, and a reverse system to catch the cargo on the other side.

They should have that tech, right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Asgard can probably use gravity tech to set up some kind of railgun for everything, and a reverse system to catch the cargo on the other side.

They should have that tech, right?

Put Felger on it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just spitballing, but you build supergates and send massive transport ships through them, and those ships have beaming tech.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I looked it up and this is literally 20 people.

I would love to see this list

redshirt posted:

Put Felger on it

On, or *on*

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

Just spitballing, but you build supergates and send massive transport ships through them, and those ships have beaming tech.

Or maybe you make multiple smaller asgard beam machines and set them up to send the info about what to put stuff together over radio waves so you can have one beam machine at the dial-out gate dematerialize the stuff you want to transport and send the info through the gate as radio waves to the other beam machine at the destination, which puts the stuff together. Presto, changeo, you have star trek matter transportation but at intergalactic distances, thanks to gate technology! ABSOLUTELY nothing could go wrong!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Curtana posted:

Or maybe you make multiple smaller asgard beam machines and set them up to send the info about what to put stuff together over radio waves so you can have one beam machine at the dial-out gate dematerialize the stuff you want to transport and send the info through the gate as radio waves to the other beam machine at the destination, which puts the stuff together. Presto, changeo, you have star trek matter transportation but at intergalactic distances, thanks to gate technology! ABSOLUTELY nothing could go wrong!
Yeah we're gonna need a whiteboard

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

well why not posted:

I would love to see this list

Here ya go

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Curtana posted:

"Why don't you call me Jal'c? Wait. This is better. How about T'Neill?"

"You're joking, right?"

"Indeed, Carter."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

enlightening thank you

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

did they just run out of money at the end of season 2, it gets like- not great
body swapping gimmick episode, naked mushroom people.
1969 is good though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

S2 has 22 episodes. The 15th is The Fifth Race. And 21st is 1969.

it was 1999, man,

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

SRQ posted:

did they just run out of money at the end of season 2, it gets like- not great
body swapping gimmick episode, naked mushroom people.
1969 is good though.

On a general point you definitely can tell when they've saved money in the budget for a big blockbuster episode. Bottle episodes, episodes based on earth, episodes where they travel to planets that are suspiciously similar to late 1990s Canada, all indicators that something big has either just happened or is coming very soon.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

On a general point you definitely can tell when they've saved money in the budget for a big blockbuster episode. Bottle episodes, episodes based on earth, episodes where they travel to planets that are suspiciously similar to late 1990s Canada, all indicators that something big has either just happened or is coming very soon.

yeah and the back end of season 2 has a lot of that.
really feels like they blew the budget in the first half and went "oh god uh, find some college drama kids and put some chalk on them uhhhh- we still got that field... gently caress it call up the x-files and ask if we can borrow one of their sets."

"uh get Daniel to walk down the street for a bit and slap some old person makeup on."

"hey one of the camera guys uncles has an old hippie bus maybe we can use that."

"oh yeah so the episode has them go to New York? circle around the block for a few hours for b-roll we can use up like 15 minutes, easy."

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 22, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean, SG1 is the master of the Clip Show, and the Clip Show was entirely about saving money, and maybe giving the cast and crew some time off mid season.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

I mean, SG1 is the master of the Clip Show, and the Clip Show was entirely about saving money, and maybe giving the cast and crew some time off mid season.

oh my god season 2 actually ends with one

the backside of season 2 is definitely the low point, but season 3 opens spectacularly.

were they in danger of being cancelled? Teal'c having an opportunity to be written out and the obvious budget issues of late season 2 seems to hint at that.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

SRQ posted:

oh my god season 2 actually ends with one

the backside of season 2 is definitely the low point, but season 3 opens spectacularly.

were they in danger of being cancelled? Teal'c having an opportunity to be written out and the obvious budget issues of late season 2 seems to hint at that.

Nearly always in danger - it gets to the point where it's a running joke in-series.

The one time they knew it was over, they went all out and resolved everything (and it was awesome) - then they got renewed (for another TWO seasons).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SG1 has like four endings and they’re all great.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH THE STARGATE :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
*points at the sign in the gate room* :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
pre:
NO SCREWING AROUND

WITH THE 

STARGATE!!!!!!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

crispix posted:

pre:
NO SCREWING AROUND

WITH THE 

STARGATE!!!!!!

sighs, sadly wheeling away box used in "sawing lady in half" illusion

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

working the night shift in the gate room, tossing my empty beer cans halfway across the galaxy directly onto the furling planet

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stacking crates in the gate activation hazard zone attempting to find the perfect height to place a bottle of champagne so it disincorperates just the cork

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

crispix posted:

*points at the sign in the gate room* :mad:

See? Because of me, now they have a warning! :mil101:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*lines up two gates rear end to rear end just to see what happens when two WOOOOSHES touch

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

*lines up two gates rear end to rear end just to see what happens when two WOOOOSHES touch

Two Gates, One Woosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Two Gates, One Woosh

General Hammond Reaction Video