Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would argue that Urgo should count, though in that case it's all of them. And the bug guys with the shapeshifter technology who string everyone from the rafters and then impersonate them.

EvilHawk posted:

I've mentioned before but it's one of a group of episodes where the premise is "weird thing happens to a member of SG-1 and despite literally everything that has happened nobody will even pretend to believe them". The weird dimension shifting aliens episode with Jonas Quinn is another one.

One of the big strengths of the time loop episode IMO, everyone very rapidly goes to "yeah okay you say this is happening, let's deal with it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like The Other Guys works a lot better if you've watched the Red Green Show, and are already acclimatized to Patrick McKenna.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah we're doing a rewatch now, other than emancipation which is a stinker but ultimately not that bad, there's none that are really that bad. Mayyybe the clip show towards the end of Season 1 if you've seen it before and know who Kinsey is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I think one of the least realistic things in the show is how they remember all those alphanumeric codes over time.

Also how long it takes them to set up an Alpha Site, and how they don't run the gate program out of there.

Kinsey had a point in the first season that fetching a bunch of dangerous items/microbes/people/black hole connections and immediately exposing Earth to them was not a good plan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ maybe she's pocketing half of Jacob's salary (with the rest going to her brother), not like he has anywhere to spend it.

Well he's a reactivated Colonel, so he's probably making close to the upper end of the pay grade, which would be ~$150,000 in 2023 dollars.

The biggest question I had about the civilian world is where that mean neighborhood is that Tealc escaped to when he got stung by that space mosquito.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

Such a weird casting. You could hire anyone for Weir's husband. And you cast Nareem?

Mike Dopud was busy that day

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also Supernatural.

Plus just the other day we watched Ryac blow up Anubis' gate killing machine, after Tealc and Bratac got captured by Chief Tyrol.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The whole "Jonas is a mary-sue-esque Superman" vibe really hits home when you're watching them without that time in between too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FFT posted:

I enjoyed the Jonas fast track, and how he tried to relate to Teal'c with Teal'c interpreting it as he did.

It was also kinda hosed up how as soon as Michael Shanks got back in Jonas disappeared.

Agreed on all counts. Judge's read of "are you proposing an alien conspiracy!?" is just perfect.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

well why not posted:

why couldn’t they detect the symbiote? normally carter and tealc clock them right away

Also why weren't all the Jaffa suspicious of the only loving dude in the camp to not take off his shirt :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The distinction I get is that the goa'uld generally treat their stuff as black boxes without understanding the underlying mechanisms, while a human scientist like Carter can whip out the math on how hyperdrives work on a moment's notice

Also we see that the Goauld do understand all this technology (the examples springing to mind is Baal re-engineering and purposing the Avenger virus and the one who created naqadriah on Langara; yes I am watching S7 why do you ask), they just don't play it up because they're already perceived as gods by their subjects.

Humans saying the Goauld don't create technology they just steal it are just being space racists, change my mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

I love SG1. They do the big reveal of the Stargate program to other governments in a clip show.

Name another show that used clip episodes better than SG1. I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1Q1xSxo6w

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

Edit: Ok that Always Sunny episode was good, but I don't know if i'd classify it strictly as a clip show.

Yeah it's like half a clip show. The first half is a clip show played more or less straight, and then it goes increasingly off the rails as they get stuck in people's memories, legitimately a great take on the concept I think.

Even knowing nothing about the show, I maintain this is a hilarious photo:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 9, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait present? Which one was present?

redshirt posted:

. Tell me anything about Sheppard. Or Kayla.

Well I'm only in season 1, but her mom's name was Tagan.

Tagan Emmagen.

I can only assume she was from a snow planet, and her middle name was Toboggan

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Hathor, via magic horny dust

Fuckin lol, completely forgot about Hathor

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

And speaking of ships, there's nothing in the Air Force skill tree that qualifies you to command a ship with hundreds of people.

That's a Navy gig, and they should have been in charge of the ship program. With SG1 of course getting to do whatever they want regardless.

Honestly one of the most nagging immersion breaks in the whole series for me is the ranks. Does Jack spend 7 seasons as a Colonel who commands a total of 3 people?

Like I know it's dumb and doesn't matter but they make such a big deal about the promotions for Sam lol, and as far as I can tell she is in command of nobody?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

Yeah in The Expanse almost every space battle is done at distance, such that you never see the enemy except on sensors.

Exactly. Space battles are like carrier battles not because of airplanes (which lack any sort of space analog) but because if your sensors don't detect the enemy, but they see you, you're going to lose.

Funnily enough this applies whether or not you include engines fueled by magic or are bound by the tyranny of the ticket equation; your ship is always going to be extremely vulnerable to a projectile weapon that employs the same engine technology but can accelerate much faster than you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sardonik posted:

Extremely, like even in a 4th wall transcending way in the 'Citizen Joe' episode where they not so subtly admit they didn't like one of the earlier episodes. Can't remember which though offhand.

Having just watched it, they poke fun at a bunch of them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

There are SO MANY random cameos. The show was made in Vancouver I think? And I'm jealous that you get to watch it for the first time and also eager to see what you think. It's good!

Yeah it filmed in Vancouver, so you will see every Canadian west coast character actor appear in it at some point (sometimes multiple points!), and also in all the other sci-fi shows because they're all filmed in Vancouver for some reason.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

On this, I was not prepared for peaceful forest goblin Quark

Ah poo poo, I knew he looked familiar but I never managed to place him

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I love the line (from the documentary episode I think?) where Walter is all "Chevron seven isn't really different from the other six, but I say 'locked!' just to add a little flair to it"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I like how Carter always enunciates Goa'uld correctly and sometimes the characters will literally spell it and say how it is pronounced to others, but Daniel Jackson is always like "Watch out for the goolds"

https://youtu.be/YA-WkTAVvcE?si=SIkVjx1HtUX4xE-N

Citizen Joe is such a bizarre and fun episode, I'm sure RDA was stoked they got Castellaneta

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sardonik posted:

*Shake hands with danger guitar riff*

I lol'd, then showed my partner Shake Hands With Danger so she'd get it too :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also I am continuously flummoxed by how much Goa'uld weaponry and technology the team just leaves on the ground. They could have dozens of Jaffa staffs back at HQ by now for analysis and reproduction. But they always just grab one only to make sure Teal'c still has one.

Like Teal'c and O'Neill just killed like a full battalion of troops all carrying staffs, and didn't even carry them back to the cave all the people were hiding in to help with defense.

Also if only to steal those little fuel cell things at the bottom of the staff they extract in one episode. That's good rear end tech to steal.

Maybe they send out SG-2 to pick them up all later :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

I like that the SGC seems pretty OSHA compliant when it comes to the Gate. The ramp is wide and long, allowing wheelchair access. The Woosh line is clearly marked on the floor so there's no mistaking the safe line. Blast doors for extra protection.

On the other hand they make the security guys line up in front of the gate, i.e. the only location they could possibly get hit by fire coming though it, or be quickly shot by someone coming though.

Gotta put those guys to the side, ideally slightly behind and beside!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The real thing we should be asking (spoilers on the existence, perhaps skip if you are watching for the first time) is that one time Replicarter was all the way into the horizon, but someone was holding her arm to stop her from going through, how did she then come back out and glare menacingly before dropping the arm?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Owl at Home posted:

A good low-tech alternative to the iris would be to just dig a 100-foot vertical pit directly below the gate. Maybe not so great for filtering out things like bombs, small gliders and energy field weapons though

Put the gate on a big gimbal, so you can pitch it up 90 degrees, and put a big rear end steel grate just above the kawoosh height. Energy beam weapons still a problem, but anybody coming through that immediately falls back into the horizon, any flying doodads crash into the grate and then do the same.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You'll never guess who voiced Heimdall

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Sam x Rodney has more sexual tension than...well...anyone

Finally watching SGA, and so far that's just Rodney and anyone weirdly.

Also I'm sad they killed this Britishey scientist guy in an extremely Expansey way, that guy was like the best supporting actor they had.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FFT posted:

Beckett is firmly Scottish.

Scotland is Britishey.

But I actually meant Peter Grodin

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But it still would be S7 SG-1 last episode, S8 SG-1 episode 1, and then Atlantis episode 1, right?

Somebody even posted a big Google sheet with a recommended watch order, I can't vouch for it being the best order, but it's what I'm using as we watch SGA for the first time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5T6bk5bS9LDaIVXR55-agOd_FYgTN0TZcpZDfvnMg4/edit?usp=drivesdk

It's got the movies in there too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I remember really liking it at the time, if only because I loved watching Robert Carlyle tearing it up. But then the fact that it gets cancelled at the exact moment it's finding itself really stings.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's not really so much that they killed the franchise, as much as MGM completed imploded in the wake of the 2008 Financial Crisis.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jeff Goa'uldblum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The quickest way to get over someone etc...