Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

itry posted:

I always thought it was weird that it wasn't protocol for the iris to be closed by default.

I think it is, unless they’re dialing out in which case it doesn’t do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goa'uld genetic memory probably makes them more stagnant as well. Imagine if boomers gave birth to more boomers.

Yeah, they're called Gen "Wormhole" X"-treme"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Goa'uld invading Earth and getting the poo poo kicked out of them a la Turtledove's The Road Not Taken would have been extremely funny

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

that’s an insane amount of money for those

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Did dr Fraiser ever get a love story?

Just hit Heroes in my rewatch last night and that poo poo hit pretty hard. She had her relationship with Cassie but romantically it was just the producer that made a move just before she got got.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Armacham posted:

Lmao I never realized that they recast Dr Weir between seasons.

Didn’t even try to make it close or address it in any way just straight into it. Watched those episodes last night actually.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Armacham posted:

Lmao I got to the virtual reality episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FGzE4endQ

Lol same. It’s kind of a trip that this and the matrix trilogy were contemporary.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

That’s got to be some kind of record.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Is there a human equivalent 'weapon of terror'? Something deadly, but mostly for effect?

Closest I can think of is Flamethrower.

A-10 is mostly for the US’s own troop morale rather than being super effective in gun runs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

redshirt posted:

Imagine being poor Daniel and she won't stop hitting on you.

Or just straight up hitting you.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Do you think Walter the gate-dialer is a General in the Stargate program by now?

He's like a master sgt or something so he'll never reach general. Plus he only makes like 1/3rd of what the SG teams full of officers (for some reason) make. I guess he probably gets hazard pay from being comms/weapons officer with hammond that one time.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

There was the episode where people were going nuts because of a virus or someshit. One sg guy ran out and jumped into the vortex and everyone was just stunned.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I always liked mayborurne more than simmonds just because of Jack’s rage at him. YOU RAT BASTARD is such a great scene.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Biplane posted:

Momoa loving up those Sardaukar was badass tho.

He was the only casting I was at all wary of but he knocked it out of the park with duncan.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

President Kinsey

[raises finger] Vice President Kinsey

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Threads would have been a wonderful end to the series, and Mobius is so much fun. You can really tell that Shanks and Tapping are having a lot of fun playing their alternative selves.

They’re hamming it up in the best way. Timid Carter is so good. Shanks is basically just being Spader

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I am kind of sad they never went full farscape with how weird poo poo could get

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

It’s kind of crazy that the asgard and goauld have been in this stalemate for centuries and then the Tauri come in and within 8 or so years completely break it apart and the asgard go all in.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dude playing Anubis in the diner episode was so good. Just that perfect smarmy superiority.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could see the arguement that the Asgard and Goa'uld were in a stalemate with their own issues, not with one another, though.

The Asgard seemed to have the constant problem of replicators and cloning, as mentioned. They couldn't really didn't have a need or ability to advance too far outside that.

The system lords really had possibly hit a place where they were just stuck in their own status quo where it was difficult to effect any great change because power structures had become so well-defined and well-controlled.

Then the Tau'ri show up and kill Ra which probably has a massive knock on effect for the whole galaxy.

Now we suddenly see the rise of 'minor system lords' or 'former low-ranking Goa'ulds' on one side able to finally take a grab at major power, direct allies to Ra using the chance to try to hold and claim power once afforded to Ra, and indepent major system lords thinking they could afford a risk of taking more power, too.

I do like the one where Baal is fighting the replicators and Jacob brings Jack the device that lets them see all the goa’uld ha’taks just blipping out. Makes Jack realize that while they’re doing a good job of killing off system lords that they’re still an insanely huge empire beyond even what he had surmised over the years. His ‘oh poo poo’ moment when the galaxy map lights up was great.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

SRQ posted:

jackson starting to get shots where he's working out late in the series is always funny.

lifting like a quarter of what teal’c is.

the most unrealistic thing of the whole show is how nice all their homes are. unless they get an insane amount of combat pay I don’t think the air force pays THAT well

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

redshirt posted:

No way it's only 7.4 billion a year. Maybe 77 billion. I mean, by season 8 the SGC has multiple spaceships. How much did the Prometheus alone coast? And that squadron of 301s? And the newer ships that keep showing up. And that's just for ships.

All those offworld bases, all the weapons and ammo, heck, running and supplying Atlantis.

Also, it seems like are hundreds of people who work at the SGC.

Yeah, the most unrealistic thing in the entire show is that no one leaked.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno why they went top-down RTS when "play as an SG team" is basically perfect for squad-based shooter

It’s really baffling when they could have made a new xcom reskin and it would have been pretty much perfect. Add in some rpg style diplomacy/non violent ways to resolve missions and it’d be probably exactly what people were looking for.

To me the rts part took the weight of actions out of it and it was just an hp/dps battle without much in the way of tactics, which is why the taure were so effective against the jaffa.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Also we see that the Goauld do understand all this technology (the examples springing to mind is Baal re-engineering and purposing the Avenger virus and the one who created naqadriah on Langara; yes I am watching S7 why do you ask), they just don't play it up because they're already perceived as gods by their subjects.

Humans saying the Goauld don't create technology they just steal it are just being space racists, change my mind.

That actually makes me wonder how the genetic memory poo poo works. Like, they’re a queen based species so how does new knowledge get integrated into the mix as they go along?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Clerks animated show had the best clip show of all time imo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Worf posted:

is this place really that old that the majority of the ppl are >= 40 now?

Not quite but close. The curve seems to be lates 20s to early 40s with some outliers on either side. I turn 40 later this year.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Squizzle posted:

i dont think KREE has an easy translation, it seems like an interjection that is used to indicate authority/dominance over the addressees, who are expected to reäct in a contextually appropriate form of subservience

I always imagine it like OI! Just a noise that more or less says whatever you want it to.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

redshirt posted:

Yeah in The Expanse almost every space battle is done at distance, such that you never see the enemy except on sensors.

This was a thing is mass effect too until they decided gently caress it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

crispix posted:

maybourne is a dick :mad:

rat bastard

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dr Fraiser is the best.

I wish they did something more with cassandra. same with tealc getting a place off base. seeing that side of aliens through the gate interacting with locals was always great. they had a great reason with her too and i feel like even when they did they didn’t go far enough. i’m not saying it’s bad it’s just hard to write a really philosophical take on society through the eyes of a complete foreigner and they had a lot of buildup cached to be able to give the viewers better context for the alienness. It was almost always Tauri in a weird place.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Really likes Jack explaining politely to the Asgard "Look as much as you say we are not ready, we are already out there. We are already in space and trying our best. It's too late, we are extremely curious."

Jack truly is the best and worst avatar of Earth

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

If Bezos doesn’t fund a SG-1 revival then we know he’s a goauld.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

she hide my symbiote til i kre

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Don’t engage with the weirdo who is single-handedly putting SA in the black

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

If you really don’t know, someone keeps buying accounts all day everyday as they get banned for being off their rocker. it’s why the username is todays date. I’ve seen them get up to [date]_5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

redshirt posted:

*Daniel rolls eyes gif

ok?