Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

rather than settle into a comfortable rut in my first job in a new field I was forced to job search, and the difficulty of finding people to hire and logistics of relocating and my willingness to take calculated risks accelerated my career growth

I also spent $573.24 at Aldi on canned food etc as if I’m going to spend three months locked in my house again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

emergency situations are going to happen more frequently and be more severe with climate change and it’s not a bad idea to be able to stay safely home for a couple weeks minimum with no warning if needed in terms of food, water, etc

if you don’t need to go buy bottled water or canned soup or a big bag of rice because you have some already then great, avoid those parking lot yelling matches

naem
May 29, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Sorry, this was pages ago, but this was the real lesson of covid. Climate change will kill us because if people can't wear a mask, how can you expect them to make lifestyle changes or accept that certain goods are just not going to be available anymore.

This may be a tangent, but I was watching youtube videos on touring cute tiny apartments in Japan and the host went a side-line about how he gets really really angry responses to his videos. They're totally innocuous videos but people even seeing the idea that they might have to live somewhere smaller and that this guy is trying to sell it makes some people really really angry. Hell, just look at the response to the 15-mintue cities movement.

Things are going to get loving rough and fast.

I just randomly came across the exact video you mentioned, here’s a fun review of tiny japanese student apartments: https://youtu.be/M33uqNdKQFo

he mentions the angry threats viewers make to him, reacting to the idea people could live with less i guess??

naem
May 29, 2011

I heard through the grapevine that HR had to let a guy go at a former employer when he refused to mask, even when his wife tested positive

he had to be physically barred from entering the building, then every attempt to communicate with him for work reasons when wfh lead to screaming vax tirades, then when he was finally termed by zoom call for being a crazy a-hole he apparently started throwing things and disrobing