Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I know quite a few "crunchy" folks who tend to avoid modern medicine whenever possible because they believe humans are still interconnected enough with nature that modern medicine is always a last resort for them. They're the types that give me advice for my medical problems, but none of their strategies would work for me, because my body is hosed up and weird and it will never be healthy and normal no matter what I do. So I'll take any means of medical help available to manage what I can.

I don't bother to argue with them, I just say "thanks" and move on. They're otherwise genuinely great people I love having around, they just don't understand the reality of life with genetic disorders and chronic incurable illness. In nature, I'd be long dead. I'm the weakling that gets picked off by the wolves. So modern medicine is my friend and I fully support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I know quite a few "crunchy" folks who tend to avoid modern medicine whenever possible because they believe humans are still interconnected enough with nature that modern medicine is always a last resort for them. They're the types that give me advice for my medical problems, but none of their strategies would work for me, because my body is hosed up and weird and it will never be healthy and normal no matter what I do. So I'll take any means of medical help available to manage what I can.

I don't bother to argue with them, I just say "thanks" and move on. They're otherwise genuinely great people I love having around, they just don't understand the reality of life with genetic disorders and chronic incurable illness. In nature, I'd be long dead. I'm the weakling that gets picked off by the wolves. So modern medicine is my friend and I fully support it.

You have a genuinely good attitude here. I also have a few chronic things that people have tried to sell me on taking vitamins and stuff. While elderberry pills won't fix my rsi, I guess the take is that they care enough to share what they think is help.

I've noticed a lot of the people that are "crunchy" in my life are usually kinda more wealthy types that can afford to blow lots of money on nonsense pills.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't know that drivers are actually worse overall now than pre-covid, drivers were pretty bad then too.
The number of Americans murdered by drivers spiked with covid. Driving just brings it a lot of wildly sociopathic behavior and the car is a very capable weapon.

Ban cars; install speed limiters to cap at 25 in cities and 60 on highways.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I saw some dipshit run over the yield sign at work AGAIN today.

It might not be covid related but bitch this is a parking lot. That sign flew like 20 feet and coulda killed someone.

If I die at Target I'm gonna be an angry rear end ghost, what an embarrassing headline.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

DicktheCat posted:

You have a genuinely good attitude here. I also have a few chronic things that people have tried to sell me on taking vitamins and stuff. While elderberry pills won't fix my rsi, I guess the take is that they care enough to share what they think is help.

I've noticed a lot of the people that are "crunchy" in my life are usually kinda more wealthy types that can afford to blow lots of money on nonsense pills.

Yeah, I never get the sense that they think I'm an idiot or they're superior, they do genuinely care and want to try and help. And I appreciate that.

It's the people who "well, your body can fix itself if you will it to" or "Big Pharma blah blah blah" that piss me off. Especially since we live in Canada and we don't have privatized health care. Sick people are a burden, not a customer.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Sick people are a burden, not a customer.

Man we're still so young as a species that has consiousness, you could be the moth that has the right pattern of color on its wings that resembles bird poo poo that gets us up another level and we wouldn't even recognize it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

The number of Americans murdered by drivers spiked with covid. Driving just brings it a lot of wildly sociopathic behavior and the car is a very capable weapon.

Ban cars; install speed limiters to cap at 25 in cities and 60 on highways.

I've done some very light research into this, and it looks like one reason US pedestrian deaths is higher than than in other countries is because fuckoff huge vehicles have become way more common.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/17/suvs-pickups-pedestrian-fatalities-rise/7075333001/
https://www.axios.com/2023/06/23/pedestrian-deaths-cars-suvs-roads-unsafe

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah lifted trucks have been responsible for a few deaths in our city in the past few years, I'm fairly certain

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've done some very light research into this, and it looks like one reason US pedestrian deaths is higher than than in other countries is because fuckoff huge vehicles have become way more common.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/17/suvs-pickups-pedestrian-fatalities-rise/7075333001/

I get legit culture shock whenever I visit family out of country and everyone's driving small cars and beat up work trucks then I come back to the US and half the folks got Canyoneros and humvees so you know their dick isn't tiny.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Anyone with a lifted truck should be lifted from their current life and put in a loving gulag

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This article is from Bloomberg, and is a bit eclectic, but it touches on a lot of the issues. Gaming EPA fuel economy standards by designating vehicles as "light trucks" is something kind of touched on in the article but I have seen more fully described elsewhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/26/1184034017/us-pedestrian-deaths-high-traffic-car posted:

A new study paints a grim picture of American roads: every day, 20 people walk outside and end up killed by a moving vehicle.

"There are more pedestrians being killed today than in decades," Russ Martin, the senior director of policy and government relations at the Governors Highway Safety Association, told NPR.

The organization, which tracks pedestrian deaths in the U.S., estimates that more than 7,500 pedestrians were killed by drivers last year — the highest number since 1981. The final tally may be even greater given that Oklahoma was unable to provide data due to a technical issue.

Pedestrian deaths have been climbing since 2010 because of unsafe infrastructure and the prevalence of SUVs, which tend to be more deadly for pedestrians than smaller cars, according to Martin. When the pandemic arrived, there was an even greater surge as empty roads gave way to speeding and distracted driving.

The pandemic has waned, but cases of reckless driving — and subsequently the number of Americans killed while walking — has not. The new data, released on Friday, shows the U.S. continues to lag in its effort to improve road safety, even as experts say some solutions are within reach.

Why would we not simply accept that rate of death as the new normal?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"well, your body can fix itself if you will it to"

"Cure the mind, cure the body" was supposed to be a political metaphor! :argh:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Why would we not simply accept that rate of death as the new normal?

We will soon enough. I don't know what the alternative could be. Trying to tell a certain segment of the population that big trucks are killing pedestrians so we need to put limitations on them will only make them buy bigger and bigger trucks when some chud says it's woke.

I stopped letting my daughter cross the major intersection by our house because we live in the Midwest and people keep getting killed crossing the street.

Luckily, the banks and health care companies are buying up all the property so there's nothing worth risking it anymore.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Private Cumshoe posted:

Anyone with a lifted truck should be lifted from their current life and put in a loving gulag

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ariza posted:

We will soon enough. I don't know what the alternative could be. Trying to tell a certain segment of the population that big trucks are killing pedestrians so we need to put limitations on them will only make them buy bigger and bigger trucks when some chud says it's woke.

I stopped letting my daughter cross the major intersection by our house because we live in the Midwest and people keep getting killed crossing the street.

Luckily, the banks and health care companies are buying up all the property so there's nothing worth risking it anymore.

It was odd growing up in Seattle area where drivers aren’t quite perfect, but there seemed to be deference to pedestrians especially at crosswalks. Still have to be careful of course but felt like good number of drivers were cautious.

Wildly different situation when visiting Edinburgh, drivers do not stop at crosswalks even when there are groups of pedestrians clearly waiting to cross. Our guide didn’t have any hacks or secret know how, just explained it was awful and to not cross until totally clear and even then hurry. First and hopefully last time I’ve seen a recent pedestrian traffic fatality in the road.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
pre Covid there was this horrible intersection near downtown Phoenix by the college, and the movie theater and some busy hotel. Stop signs at all the three corners (the fourth was a shopping area) and the students would never loving stop to check for traffic. I remember seeing just swarms of college kids walking from the theater or the college to the street without pause, trusting the cars would stop.

Then the stop signs were removed, and a red-light bar was over the intersection, where the peds would have to tap a crosswalk sign. That didn't stop the mass surge of people still walking into the road or the cars going right up to the crosswalk or through it when they thought the light was blinking (yield) instead of on (stop).

Now there's thankfully actual red and green lights, which at least controls the cars better.

Is it just Mcdonalds that removed their soda machines from the lobby, or everyone else too? Not sure if that was because of Covid or because it's easier for them to keep all that poo poo behind the counter.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was really lucky.

Working for a private school, we were ready with Zoom for online learning the week before spring break 2020. Everything shut down after my week off, there was a bit of a rough week as we got everyone fully online for remote learning and then...it was great.

I really lived my best life.

The day we had to go back to work was a bummer but in-class learning was always going to come back.

I was also blessed in that no one around me lost their minds over Covid.

EvilJoven posted:

Then I think about the sacrifices we're going to be asked to make when climate change really starts to accelerate the socioeconomic crises and humanitarian catastrophes we're already not properly dealing with.

We aren't going to make those sacrifices. We're going to show each other the worst of what humanity has to offer instead.

Sorry, this was pages ago, but this was the real lesson of covid. Climate change will kill us because if people can't wear a mask, how can you expect them to make lifestyle changes or accept that certain goods are just not going to be available anymore.

This may be a tangent, but I was watching youtube videos on touring cute tiny apartments in Japan and the host went a side-line about how he gets really really angry responses to his videos. They're totally innocuous videos but people even seeing the idea that they might have to live somewhere smaller and that this guy is trying to sell it makes some people really really angry. Hell, just look at the response to the 15-mintue cities movement.

Things are going to get loving rough and fast.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Every zombie movie from now on has to have zombie denialists.

The now canceled show, Avenue 5, aired this scene weeks before the first COVID cases were found in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Rad-daddio posted:

What's funny is that I was reading the thread here on how bad Covid was going to be, and like a week before everything got locked down I went to Walmart and stocked up on some foods and supplies that might be handy in case everything went to poo poo.

There was this old lady in a mobility scooter that was making fun of me for stocking up.

...I wonder where she is now.

This made me remember back to Feb 2020, just before it all surfaced in the public awareness that "something might be coming." I'd been hearing rumbles from some of our suppliers in China that they might have an "extended" CNY season where they would stay shut down for a couple extra weeks to deal with some flu that was going around. I didn't think much of it at the time. Made a trip to Costco for my usual stock up on chicken, etc.

While lining up for the checkout this fella nearly slams into me with his flat cart. Piled high upon the cart was what must have been every package of disinfecting wipes and spray the Costco had, at least 8 packs of toilet paper and several packs of bottled water. What really stuck out to me was not the hoarding, but the guy's face. Just sheer, utter panic etched into his expression and his hair was plastered to his skull with fear sweat. Dude was just... terrified.

Occasionally I wonder what happened to him, and if he made it through to this side of all the insanity.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Snuffman posted:

I was really lucky.

Working for a private school, we were ready with Zoom for online learning the week before spring break 2020. Everything shut down after my week off, there was a bit of a rough week as we got everyone fully online for remote learning and then...it was great.

I really lived my best life.

The day we had to go back to work was a bummer but in-class learning was always going to come back.

I was also blessed in that no one around me lost their minds over Covid.

Sorry, this was pages ago, but this was the real lesson of covid. Climate change will kill us because if people can't wear a mask, how can you expect them to make lifestyle changes or accept that certain goods are just not going to be available anymore.

This may be a tangent, but I was watching youtube videos on touring cute tiny apartments in Japan and the host went a side-line about how he gets really really angry responses to his videos. They're totally innocuous videos but people even seeing the idea that they might have to live somewhere smaller and that this guy is trying to sell it makes some people really really angry. Hell, just look at the response to the 15-mintue cities movement.

Things are going to get loving rough and fast.

We had a big rear end hurricane like 10 years ago. Power was out for a week or so for most people across the state, so people were running generators. The lines at the gas station were really long. I think it was the 3rd or 4th day of no power or heat where I was smoking outside of a 7/11, just watching the insanely long lines at the two gas stations at the intersection I was at. I saw two people get out of their cars and start screaming at each other, and at the other gas station I saw two guys yelling and shoving each other before their wives settled them down. And that was only the third or fourth day of no power or heat. That's how little it takes and how quickly it takes for things to get to that point.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you don't need a natural disaster for that. i live not far from a gas station, and people screaming at each over nothing happens there all the time. on quiet days i can sometimes even hear it from my house.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Gas stations are the most miserable places on the planet, and then finally somebody decided to cheer them up by blasting commercials from the pump at mad volume.

naem
May 29, 2011

emergency situations are going to happen more frequently and be more severe with climate change and it’s not a bad idea to be able to stay safely home for a couple weeks minimum with no warning if needed in terms of food, water, etc

if you don’t need to go buy bottled water or canned soup or a big bag of rice because you have some already then great, avoid those parking lot yelling matches

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Around me people driving too slow has become a huge problem, another thing I swear wasn't anywhere near this bad 5 or so years ago. Driving slow is not always safer. On highways, the safest thing to do is flow with traffic around you. In most cases, if everyone else is going faster than you, then you are the one being unsafe.

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that seems to have gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

Phone addiction has hamstrung people's attention and they go all jangle keys distracted while waiting for a green light.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Another solid reason is that the U.S. will shamelessly put pedestrian sidewalks and bike lanes next to motor vehicle roadways with basically nothing between them, so you're one good swerve from ending up mangled. And that's just where it's actually an accident and not on purpose because you're "too woke".

Nothing like getting your brain broke with a serious public conflict occurring so you can project your broken thinkybits on people you arbitrarily judged based on initial appearances.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't know if we're talking very different speeds of road but in Europe it would be very rare for someone who wasn't drunk to veer off of one of these (40mph)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
These things don't do anything

Either drivers ignore them, or they see them, get upset, and flip you off while you're waiting to cross.

In fact I'd say it's safer just to jaywalk then try to use these things since they provide a false sense of security.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The more I think about it, the more I think that ignition interlocks should be required safety equipment on all vehicles. They can be defeated but I think overall, they would save a lot of lives just like seatbelts and airbags do. That and planning city development to include robust public transportation and cutting back on sprawl.

But in the end, it will never happen because :capitalism:.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the crosswalks at the 4 way intersection just south of my neighborhood tell pedestrians to walk at the exact same time cars turning left or right into the crosswalk get a green light. it's wild and i've seen so many cars start a right turn the moment the light turns green just as a pedestrian takes their first step into the crosswalk.

only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a 2 ton truck or suv with no visibility

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can you not uh... fit a plate reader to the light and fine any vehicle that runs a red?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that ignition interlocks should be required safety equipment on all vehicles. They can be defeated but I think overall, they would save a lot of lives just like seatbelts and airbags do. That and planning city development to include robust public transportation and cutting back on sprawl.

But in the end, it will never happen because :capitalism:.

One problem is that some things can trigger a false alarm, like refilling the windshield wiper fluid. Or even using wiper fluid under the wrong conditions. Since wiper fluid contains a lot of methanol it's possible for that to make the interlock register a false positive, and what mechanism could you set up so it could be disabled short of calling the cops to do a sobriety check or something?

Bad Purchase posted:

the crosswalks at the 4 way intersection just south of my neighborhood tell pedestrians to walk at the exact same time cars turning left or right into the crosswalk get a green light. it's wild and i've seen so many cars start a right turn the moment the light turns green just as a pedestrian takes their first step into the crosswalk.

only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a 2 ton truck or suv with no visibility

Around here there are some intersections where the walk signals have been decoupled from the green lights, so if you don't push the pedestrian walk button the walk signal will not turn on. This sets up confusing situations where pedestrians see the light turn green and start walking, while drivers in the intersection see a green and can see the DON'T WALK sign lit in the crosswalk. There is no signage to indicate this is the fact, and as far as I'm aware there wasn't a PSA campaign about it or anything. It's weird, and while it makes a certain amount of sense it's dangerous as hell if people don't know that is the expected behavior.

Strategic Tea posted:

Can you not uh... fit a plate reader to the light and fine any vehicle that runs a red?

I've seen red light cameras trigger inappropriately way more often than appropriately, and they are usually run by outside companies (often from outside the country) who make all the revenue, with little or none going to the local municpality.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bad Purchase posted:

Indianapolis tried to ban right turn on red in a single square mile area of downtown for pedestrian safety, and the state legislature was so offended they immediately passed a law saying cities couldn't enact such bans.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One problem is that some things can trigger a false alarm, like refilling the windshield wiper fluid. Or even using wiper fluid under the wrong conditions. Since wiper fluid contains a lot of methanol it's possible for that to make the interlock register a false positive, and what mechanism could you set up so it could be disabled short of calling the cops to do a sobriety check or something?

They are extremely high maintenance, models permanently attached to the car don't work in extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum, their pricing scheme is specifically designed as a financial punishment, their operation is designed as a punishment, and passing or failing them is supposed to be extremely high-stakes. It's a nice sentiment to want them in as a safety device, but it belies the entire purpose, design and industry surrounding them.

Plus, at least around here, all the install companies are owned by DWI lawyers and they aren't gonna be too thrilled about having their passive income affected.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Privatisation wins again! I'm pretty sure traffic fines make up half the budget of a british local council :v:

Never heard of anyone getting caught barreling through a pedestrian crossing who hadn't obviously done it though. Except the odd person moving to let an ambulance past.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Interlocks suck because if you really want to drink and drive, you'll find someone to blow for you.

My daughter's grandma worked for an interlock company.

Guess who got thier license taken away permanently for multiple strikes?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Are there any safeguards against using something like a mattress inflator to blow into it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that ignition interlocks should be required safety equipment on all vehicles. They can be defeated but I think overall, they would save a lot of lives just like seatbelts and airbags do.

That’s a lot of effort, expense, and political capital to address something that only kills about ten thousand Americans per year.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I lost a friend down the Twitter doomer rabbit hole.

More E/N than I'd like for GBS, but:

She was always somewhat on edge, but ever since she thought she had got Long Covid (not saying she didn't. I'm just saying that was the third time she thought she had become infected despite no positive test and general symptoms after-the-fact) and kept texting me, "WHAT DO I DOOOOOO?!"

Like I said, she was always on edge since she was a recent immigrant that was having trouble finding stable work and always telling me about her depression/ADHD. She had become primed to constantly believe all of the possible negatives so when I said she should probably talk to her doctor first to see that maybe it was some other kind of infection, or allergies, she immediately told me that they're just going to "gaslight" her.

Long story short, I was starting to study for the final part of my professional education and made that comment about how I'm going to be "so busy, ugh", and she took that to think that I was blowing her off because of her "diagnosis". I didn't realize anything was wrong until a week later because she hadn't responded, but by then I was so tired of this game that I just let her go. That wasn't the first time she had misinterpreted something I had said, and at this point I didn't have the energy.

I checked her Twitter account a couple of months ago, and it's literally nothing but likes and retweets from the doomer set, or tweeting at people about how they're all "plague-carriers" or something.

It's awful, and I wish her the best, but if you're spending more time on Twitter than... well, systemic issues are real, but she refused to do anything about her situation.

Also, the real estate market. I need to move for my job, and poo poo is hosed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triikan posted:

Are there any safeguards against using something like a mattress inflator to blow into it?

Some of them make you blow-suck-blow, some of them make you hum while you blow, most of them make you randomly retest while you're driving in traffic. If you have enough DWIs or get caught having someone else blow here they can mandate you a super-expensive one that has a selfie camera installed in your car. All of this is a constant drain on your battery, too, and disconnecting the battery from them can immobilize the car.

I knew a chick that had a regular one and she forgot the perfume rule and had to call in to work in order to go pay $80 at a lab to take an ETG so her PO didn't throw her in jail for a week. Again, the sentiment behind having them as standard equipment is understandable and good, but they're not actually a device you want to interact with on a daily basis under any circumstances, which is part of the point.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

Some of them make you blow-suck-blow, some of them make you hum while you blow, most of them make you randomly retest while you're driving in traffic. If you have enough DWIs or get caught having someone else blow here they can mandate you a super-expensive one that has a selfie camera installed in your car. All of this is a constant drain on your battery, too, and disconnecting the battery from them can immobilize the car.

I knew a chick that had a regular one and she forgot the perfume rule and had to call in to work in order to go pay $80 at a lab to take an ETG so her PO didn't throw her in jail for a week. Again, the sentiment behind having them as standard equipment is understandable and good, but they're not actually a device you want to interact with on a daily basis under any circumstances, which is part of the point.

Y'know, I get that people have problems and North America is a drive-everywhere society but we shouldn't have to go to that kind of trouble to keep drunks driving. I know quite a few people who have a blow-start and frankly they're usually just being assholes along-side their addiction anyways, they tend to think the rules don't apply to them. You want to be a piss-tank? Then don't drive, simple.