Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The SA covid threads have produces some of the funniest content that this site has seen in nearly 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Covid allowed me to go permanently work from home after just a year since I joined the corporate world after quitting my teaching job. So that ruled. I have no intent to ever work from anywhere other than my home office ever again.

Previously the happiest period of time in my life was right at the end of college where I had no more classes to take, and I got laid off from my job so I was just getting unemployment checks with the intention to move out of the country anyways, which I did.

Right now has basically become the best time in my life because I am happily married, my job is insanely easy and I can just kind of watch youtube, go out with my wife and go to the gym any time I want every day. It's like every day is a Saturday. And I owe it to covid for putting me in this spot I guess.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 16, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can I think they're lazy but also that the system sucks too

I mean I was lazy and the system sucked in my day too

I mean I'm saying this as someone who left teaching because social media and phone culture actually made it impossible to do the job I loved

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

People in a lot better countries have been wearing masks for decades. If you're sick it's probably a great thing to do if you're absolutely needing to go out.

That said I don't wear one and neither does anyone else I know and I haven't heard of anyone getting covid in forever. I don't think people are testing so it might still be around in my area to some degree but it's probably so rare that it's pointless. People can keep wearing them though, it doesn't matter to me. I have no clue if mask mandates really changed anything in retrospect and I could be swayed either way if I saw some concrete data.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The covid driving thing seems real. A mix of 1. Stupid idiots didn’t quarantine so the quality of drivers was worse even if there were fewer. Which then lead to 2. Everyone else either thinking that was okay and just giving up on being humans when on the road or also going crazy dealing with poo poo drivers and 3. People are just more selfish and barbaric from feeling isolated from society for years. Last man on earth-type driving. Also I just think in general American society and interpersonal standards are degrading more and more overall so it figures people would be selfish drivers

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Around here if there is anything that has gotten worse is people driving too slow, like significantly under the speed limit for no apparent reason. I see aggressive and fast driving sometimes, but slow, inattentive, and bizarre seem more common in town. I'm not sure if it has really gotten worse over the pandemic, but on the freeway the most common bad driving I see is what appears to be a complete disregard for proper following distance. People are leaving roughly the same space at 75 mph that they do at 30 mph, and it is just mind-boggling. Like I said, I'm not sure that particular thing has actually gotten worse over the pandemic because I was already pissed off about it before 2020.

I see people saying this on our local subreddit too but I feel like I almost never experience it. I think usually I tend to give slower drivers a pass for at least being careful or safer though? I dunno, that doesn't bug me much, I usually just go "uh hello?" and go around. There's no law against going under the speed limit, but I feel like 5-10mph is "standard" for some people.

kazr posted:

I've accepted that the United States is going to continue to gradually get worse with zero worthwhile government intervention coming. It's good in the sense that I don't doom scroll politics poo poo anymore, and focus on putting my energy into positivity to the community instead of fretting about the next chud atrocity.

Watching Portland go from the city I loved into this rotted corpse filled to the brim with garbage and the most vulnerable of society not being cared for in even a basic manner in just a span of a few years has been wild to watch.

Yes this too. My wife and I will not be living in this country 10 years from now, I highly suspect. It's hard not to feel like things are just getting worse and worse and more and more brutal and it feels like a matter of time before some crazy shooting happens near us or something and we just nope the gently caress out of this country for good. Thank god I have permanent residency in a much better country through her.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Around me people driving too slow has become a huge problem, another thing I swear wasn't anywhere near this bad 5 or so years ago. Driving slow is not always safer. On highways, the safest thing to do is flow with traffic around you. In most cases, if everyone else is going faster than you, then you are the one being unsafe.

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that seems to have gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

I mean obviously no one wants people to just run the gently caress into them from behind and will get out of the way. I'd rather people didn't take risky chances and fly around super fast through lights and poo poo. I've had people lay on the horn because they expected me to blast through a yellow light at the last second and they'd get through in the last milisecond but I chose to just slow down and stop.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okuteru posted:

I was in Fuzhou, China when the Wuhan outbreak happened. I was working a English language center job that went online for five months. I thought it was peaceful. I learned how to cook, played a ton a video games and got back into reading.

I was going to go back to the US to study, but then I got a job at a bilingual school where I also got my teaching license, which I used to get an even better job last school year.

Living in the Zero COVID bubble wasnt bad at first. Sure, you had to get tested every few days and God forbid if you were unfortunate enough to be at the same place as a positive case, but it truly felt like it was 2019 at times. Then, it got dropped last December and your boss gets pissed if you don't show up to work despite coughing up half a lung every few minutes.

Covid has helped me grow personally, but it's made me more distrustful of other people and individuals. It's amazing how folks will hold the simultaneous beliefs that it is just the flu while also being a bioengineered viral weapon that justifies hostility towards China.

Didn't they nuke the English teaching scene in China though?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Boy I'm glad nom epique is back to remind us that Biden sucks, which is extremely biting and funny, and not cringey or tedious at all

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah lifted trucks have been responsible for a few deaths in our city in the past few years, I'm fairly certain

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Triikan posted:

It's amazing how many completely independent problems would immediately be solved with proper public transit and the accompanying city design

Why do you hate freedom

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 25, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Black Noise posted:

Bronny James had a heart attack while training and conspiracy Twitter (tinfoil and hotep twitter) is trying to blame it on the vaccine.

Literally anyone who dies from now until all the people who ever lived during covid are going to be blamed on vaccines.

Suicide? Vaccine made him depressed and do it.

Car crash? Vaccine gave him brain fog and impaired his senses.

Struck by lightning? Vaccine micrometals.

Mordibly obese catturd2-esque chud anti-vaxxer dies of heart attack? Someone must have put it in his coffee.

Welcome to the new normal ya loving bozos.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I lived in one in central Tokyo for 5 years, including six months with my now-wife.

I assure you that it does not own.

My first one was a loft and loft beds loving blow, eventually I just started sleeping in the floor of the kitchenette because climbing down a ladder every morning sucks rear end. God help you if you sit up too fast or have a person above your apartment who stomps around.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anti vax guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he was vaxed... wonder if that had anything to do with it :grin: :grin: :grin:"

vaxed and still masked everywhere guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he wasn't vaxed... long covid much? :grin: :grin: :grin:"

lol yeah pretty much