Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You are now my enemy.

I work weird hours, and have a circadian rhythm disorder that makes me kind of nocturnal, and the foreshortening of hours is actually a big deal for me. Even just having my nearest grocery stores close at 11pm instead of midnight is burdensome. And having pharmacy hours absolutely slashed makes it hard for me to find time to pick up my medications, particularly since shorter hours means longer lines.

:yeah:

I work manufacturing and I make the money I do because I'm a night person and I can fill niche jobs that are open for years because nobody wants to work 6-6. I worked through the entirety of covid. Everything shutting down at 9-10pm and staying that way permanently has made life pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got declared essential as semiconductor/electronics manufacturing 5 hours before my shift started the day they announced the shutdown was gonna happen. It was official news that it was going to be announced around 8-9AM, Governor didn't do her presser until like 4:30-5PM. Barely got any sleep that day.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Archer666 posted:

Definitely fried my friend's brain, who's brain was already kinda crispy. Dude turned into a full-on recluse and hoarder, refusing to go outside anywhere and when he did he'd mask up. I don't really have a problem with the latter, but when things calmed down and restrictions loosened up, he started up being an rear end in a top hat and just shittalking everyone who stopped wearing masks and going on bitter tirades about "Oh I'm the one doing my best but they're being selfish assholes, why do I have to suffer???". Just weird poo poo.

What's his username

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i live directly above a freeway in LA and it was really surreal the couple of months when it was close to empty. never got there all the way. but sometimes i'd go out and just drive around at night on the empty roads, it was trippy.

and yea people are way worse now with the rage poo poo and the zigzagging. it was always bad in LA but people for sure got way more aggressive once the traffic fully came back

I hadn't driven a state-line crossing distance on I-40 since well before COVID, and I did it at the beginning of last month.

Going west back home was the most times I've ever been cut off by actively hauling rigs not signaling a lane change with feet of clearance in my life, and I drove from Albuquerque to Tampa on I-40 and I-10 in a manual Wrangler one time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Around here if there is anything that has gotten worse is people driving too slow, like significantly under the speed limit for no apparent reason. I see aggressive and fast driving sometimes, but slow, inattentive, and bizarre seem more common in town. I'm not sure if it has really gotten worse over the pandemic, but on the freeway the most common bad driving I see is what appears to be a complete disregard for proper following distance. People are leaving roughly the same space at 75 mph that they do at 30 mph, and it is just mind-boggling. Like I said, I'm not sure that particular thing has actually gotten worse over the pandemic because I was already pissed off about it before 2020.

I see this all around ABQ too. I live right next to an onramp that you basically have to use to go east unless you want to encounter crazy traffic and drive a grid instead of two straight lines, and people just... go 30. On an onramp. The onramp is onto I-40. Can't do anything about it other than pray today isn't the day.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 22, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Okuteru posted:

Covid has helped me grow personally, but it's made me more distrustful of other people and individuals.

That's covid in a nutshell (seedshell)?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One problem is that some things can trigger a false alarm, like refilling the windshield wiper fluid. Or even using wiper fluid under the wrong conditions. Since wiper fluid contains a lot of methanol it's possible for that to make the interlock register a false positive, and what mechanism could you set up so it could be disabled short of calling the cops to do a sobriety check or something?

They are extremely high maintenance, models permanently attached to the car don't work in extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum, their pricing scheme is specifically designed as a financial punishment, their operation is designed as a punishment, and passing or failing them is supposed to be extremely high-stakes. It's a nice sentiment to want them in as a safety device, but it belies the entire purpose, design and industry surrounding them.

Plus, at least around here, all the install companies are owned by DWI lawyers and they aren't gonna be too thrilled about having their passive income affected.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triikan posted:

Are there any safeguards against using something like a mattress inflator to blow into it?

Some of them make you blow-suck-blow, some of them make you hum while you blow, most of them make you randomly retest while you're driving in traffic. If you have enough DWIs or get caught having someone else blow here they can mandate you a super-expensive one that has a selfie camera installed in your car. All of this is a constant drain on your battery, too, and disconnecting the battery from them can immobilize the car.

I knew a chick that had a regular one and she forgot the perfume rule and had to call in to work in order to go pay $80 at a lab to take an ETG so her PO didn't throw her in jail for a week. Again, the sentiment behind having them as standard equipment is understandable and good, but they're not actually a device you want to interact with on a daily basis under any circumstances, which is part of the point.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

i’ll never stop being astonished at how angry this person was that their supernatural hotness did not make up for their drunk driving habit

design feature working as intended