Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Every year I forget if training camp news is actually marginally interesting or if I lose interest after about 36 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

OBJ is still working back from his injury from the Rams' Super Bowl??

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

For reference, the RB franchise tag salary is $10.1 million.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Man gently caress that.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Man I was shitposting because they're not even in pads or anything, but that probably looks like the season

My kneejerk thought was "what dumbass team lets their quarterback get hit during training camp" before immediately remembering that non-contact injuries exist and they're often, uh, worse.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Dave posted:

But if he was only told news because of his specific connection then that’s something unique he brings.

Yeah but the issue is that the news he "breaks" is always just stuff that the team or an agent would independently report themselves if there were no insiders. If all the Schefter's of the world were stuck on a deserted island for a week with no cell service, we'd have heard about the Barkley and Herbert extensions at roughly the same time we already did.

They almost never actually report anything that wouldn't be public knowledge in a matter of mere moments later anyway (at least without violating HIPAA).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rap had the Jalen Ramsey injury as a full meniscus repair and as far as I know that's only been reported by insiders and Ramsey himself saying he's looking forward to the end of year push. Nothing from agent or team.

There is value in the information they provide beyond just PR and they get paid because the public has trust in that the information is almost always true, whereas a random sports radio host idiot (or Jason La Canfora) tweeting rumors has a 5% hit rate.

I mean yeah there's no reason for the agent or team to independently report it if they've already dictated their tweets to Rappoport. Coaches and players always share injury updates and broad time tables with reporters during their press conferences anyway.

If there were no national "insiders" obsessing over getting credit for breaking a story milliseconds before anyone else, would we still know this information? Of course we would. The same parties that fed their stories to Schefter/Rap would just feed their stories to beat writers or non-weirdo national reporters instead.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lifespan posted:

What a lovely question and an honest answer.

He may not play by the rules, but Wesley Steinberg always gets the scoops.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm not even necessarily completely sure that Daniel Jones is even definitively better than, like, Baker Mayfield.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Always had a soft spot for Hue solely because of the emotion he showed in the game after Al Davis's death.

https://youtu.be/ir1zhzbVjsM

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Payton's apology was a classic "sorry that you're offended" and it's probably the first time I've ever appreciated one.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure his agent is loving things up.

What's the opposite of "benefit of the doubt?" Whatever it is, I'm giving it to the guy who hired Jeff Saturday.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm only speaking in terms of leverage, not about all the other stuff.

No team is going to trade for him and offer him a high value contract extension right now. He was injured last year, and is seemingly injured now. Sitting out won't get him any closer to getting a big payday next year and it would be maybe another season or 2 before he got a big contract.

So the best way for him to get paid is to have a healthy, good season this year.

Oh, fair enough. You're probably right.

He and/or his agent must believe that if CMC got the haul he did last year, JT could be valued similarly. And conversely, if JT has a second down year in a row—in a season where he's going to be playing alongside an incredibly raw rookie QB—his value might similarly evaporate.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think this list pisses off anyone who isn't Mahomes Allen or Burrow

Nope, still pissed off that like a third of the voters put Allen as a "Tier 2" guy.

e: ^^^ but I agree Mahomes should be in his own tier.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You guys are all going to miss it when you don't have ol' Dangeruss to kick around anymore.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Pretty wild how much CIN is still spending on offense considering Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are all still on their rookie deals.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I wish I had the courage to have said it sooner but I never doubted you, mcmagic.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1688248039176032256?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Carson Wentz was never good, Goff at least had good tape out there even if there were questions about how much was McVay

Did you start watching football in 2020 or…?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

No. I didn't know thinking Carson Wentz was never that good was a hot take though

It is. He was an MVP candidate (favorite?) pre-injury in 2017 and was at least an obvious starting-caliber guy in 2018 and 2019.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

D-LINK posted:

Johnny Maziel is from a working class family. He, himself planted the story that he's from Oil Money as a cover explanation for his extravagant lifestyle that was actually funded from selling millions of dollars in autographs and signed jerseys, etc

That's completely outrageous. Sports reporters are absolutely fake journalists.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah the pick was really bad. It looked to me (as a moron) like he just stared the receiver down the whole time and then threw it late.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is my son, Cannon.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You ever spend much time using OpenAI or an LLM for work? You know each time it gets something wrong? Imagine that every time it did that you got into a car accident instead.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

A really funny thing happened and he lateraled the Patriots out of the playoffs.

lol just went to watch this play again as is my duty whenever I'm reminded of it and just discovered I can listen to a Zolak version of the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpyyWjeq4c

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I find the NFL on Fox aesthetic offensive. Most of the pregame and halftime shows are largely white noise to me, but cannot stand Fox. Jay Glazer-core.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Amazon actually did a really nice job with their halftime talent. Whitworth was the only real dud and even still he isn't actively grating.

And I take back the sentiment of only Fox's presentation actively irritating me; NBC's crew is almost artful in its repellence.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Here's the source:

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1693667468374430206?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I didn't post that intending to discredit the rumor; just didn't want a derail about the credibility of @MLFootball, heh.

Anyway I don't have much reason to doubt what SAS is saying because I'm pretty sure that's basically what we all figured was going on.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think the Bills will be worse. It's an old team that got older and the only way you can argue their personnel meaningfully improved is assuming basically a historic rookie TE season.

That said, for Diggs, there aren't exactly tons of better situations out there. He's a handsomely paid, undisputed WR1 with a top 5 QB on a team that still makes the postseason every year. Pretty much any other team out there would either 1. require him to take a pay cut and reduced role or 2. is obviously worse than Buffalo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Well well well! The Bills are good again.

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/1693703784092897336?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like the Vikings don't count because no one really thinks they were actually all that good last year anyway.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1693742945302655405?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Chiefs had the fourth best odds to win the Super Bowl last year. Everyone thought they'd be good but there was definitely concern with Hill leaving and a suddenly competitive (so we thought) division.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

gently caress yes Magic's expanding his brand.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd love for Baker to become the Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque journeyman hero of the 20s/30s. That Rams game ruled.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I appreciate him rolling with the punches on this but this is an absolutely disgusting association to reinforce. Levis is less attractive—physically and emotionally—after signing this deal.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

They've seen him for three offseasons now and aren't even comfortable placing him ahead of Sam freaking Darnold on the depth chart. When can we just say he's probably no good?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If Purdy sucked I still think they'd be trying to replace Lance. There were whispers about him really not being ready to play even last offseason. I always saw the Garoppolo re-signing as an, "oh poo poo, we've been watching Lance all training camp and we're going to need an escape hatch in case he doesn't improve in-season."

Bringing in Sam Darnold with both Purdy and Lance on the roster really just sealed how unhappy the 9ers were with Lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

marxismftw posted:

I suspect it’s far less about Darnold being any better than Lance, and much more about staving off a “qb controversy” the moment Purdy struggles.

Darnold looked a lot better than Lance in the preseason. I don't really think it's any more complicated than "Lance is a year three QB that still looks bad."