Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

DicktheCat posted:

My wife has all of them because some furries kindly agreed to buy them for her in exchange for art.

To be fair, she's a professional artist, and it's honestly a really good deal they got if you break the money down, but still.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

My wife has all of them because some furries kindly agreed to buy them for her in exchange for art.

To be fair, she's a professional artist, and it's honestly a really good deal they got if you break the money down, but still.

If you fed this scenario into a defense computer it would nuke itself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh god, I liked those Tiger games but they really sucked overall.

Objectively, I know they were terrible, but the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 one holds a massive amount of nostalgia with me. I (made myself) love that thing.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Q2 Remaster: It turns out that capping the amount of Quad Damage and Invuln powerups you can carry at once to two of each doesn't make the final Makron battle any less cheesy

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

emSparkly posted:

re: Lunar
The game's battle mechanics are just barely above barebones Dragon Quest 3 stuff, and it's ok I guess. My big issue with the game is that in the first couple hours it tricks you into thinking that the main character isn't another poorly motivated silent protagonist with no interesting qualities, and then 3 dungeons later he's down to only barely reacting to anything going on around him. Just play Grandia instead.

Lunar 2 was quite an improvement. There was a bit of character ability customization and it was a tiny bit subversive.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hot Take: Sonic 1 was a bad game. Sure it was colorful and fast but the gameplay stinks. Same goes for Alex Kidd.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

What I remember about Sonic was that it scrolled in all directions so fast. I think I played it on a Genesis, don’t know what platforms it was released on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tarkus posted:

Hot Take: Sonic 1 was a bad game. Sure it was colorful and fast but the gameplay stinks. Same goes for Alex Kidd.

Kid Chameleon was the superior Genesis "kid" game. Just look at this badass

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

This game rules.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Action-Bastard posted:

Gonna say this is a bad post. Unless this is some sarcasm that went over my head.

Lunar SSC is pretty well regarded by critics and typically makes an appearance in those "Top PS1 Rpgs" lists people like to make. If your chief complaint is the graphics; it was loving 1996 and this wasn't exactly Nintendo or Square or another big name developing this.

Just also want to point out that Lunar SSC was a remake. It originally came out on Sega CD in 1992 and judging by YouTube video of the original game the remake was really just trying to update the original graphics while sitting close to the original game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Scott the Woz has similar feelings.

Overall, best Sonic game appears to 3+K.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Tarkus posted:

Hot Take: Sonic 1 was a bad game.

Yeah that's it, unbookmarking this thread wtf

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tarkus posted:

Hot Take: Sonic 1 was a bad game. Sure it was colorful and fast but the gameplay stinks.

the gently caress

Green Hills Zone music immediately popped up in my head like some sort of primal defense mechanism when I read this

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The controls were needlessly clunky. The speed is never a benefit or fun gameplay wise. Going fast and then getting stopped or hurt by stuff you can't see isn't fun. Water levels were loving terrible. Jumping physics and acceleration sucked without a way to spin dash.

Later Sonics incrementally fixed the bullshit gameplay of the first one and they are quite playable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tarkus posted:

The controls were needlessly clunky. The speed is never a benefit or fun gameplay wise. Going fast and then getting stopped or hurt by stuff you can't see isn't fun. Water levels were loving terrible. Jumping physics and acceleration sucked without a way to spin dash.

Later Sonics incrementally fixed the bullshit gameplay of the first one and they are quite playable

This and Marble Hill Zone is completely bullshit. Through and through.

Green Hill Zone? Perfect. Everything else? Varying levels of crap.

The sound music, graphics, all top notch, but my god does the gameplay take a loving nosedive after Green Hill Zone. And you can't tell me anyone had much fun in Labyrinth Zone.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tarkus posted:

Hot Take: Sonic 1 was a bad game. Sure it was colorful and fast but the gameplay stinks.
:wtc:

Sure, Sonic 2 blows it out of the loving water in pretty much every way but to call the first one bad is just wrong. Did/do you always get lost in Marble Zone or something?

Tarkus posted:

:goofy: The controls are "run" and "jump" with the occasional "press down to roll". Going fast on Star Light Zone is :krad:. The reward for learning level layouts is being able to go fast through them. Water levels... well alright I'll admit I'm in the minority when it comes to liking Labyrinth Zone.

Tarkus posted:

Same goes for Alex Kidd.
If we're talking Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle, then yes, that is a bad, bad game.

The Moon Monster posted:

Poohs Packin posted:

This game rules.
I loving hate Kid Chameleon. Slippery movement, levels with needlessly vast empty spaces, and as a game it just goes on for way too long without really doing anything.

What a loving waste of such an awesome concept.

Still better than Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Star Light Zone is cool as hell

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tarkus posted:

Yes, I bought Deus Ex - Limited Edition. Limited in that it was limited to the demo. It was a piss-off.

Fuckin lmao that's the slimiest poo poo I've ever heard

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Just also want to point out that Lunar SSC was a remake. It originally came out on Sega CD in 1992 and judging by YouTube video of the original game the remake was really just trying to update the original graphics while sitting close to the original game.

That game taught me just how low my tolerance for singing in videogames is

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

Most of the fast bits are usually deliberately easy but you have to trust the level. IMHO it’s a pretty good gimmick because kids go from getting killed in green hill zone to being able to beat the level in under a minute while barely even paying attention which makes you feel like you’ve gotten good and since you can’t save it’s good that experienced players can blow through the level instead of having to trudge through it.

Still though there are some places where you can end up bouncing around and it’s basically random if you die which is pure poo poo. They should at least make the game so once you’re good you know you should try and bounce to the left or the upper right third of the screen when certain things are going on and you’ll end up in a safe zone or even better if you go the right way you’re assured not to go into the flight path of an enemy.

But it comes from an era where noob traps were considered clever gotchas and random deaths were something the player was supposed to account for.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was at a used DVD/CD/Video game store with a friend and we came across this:

It was for sale for $1, and we bought it based on the cover alone (comic was not included unfortunately).

Yes, you play as a magic dwarf riding a unicorn, the controls are very confusing and it has a very extensive tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7w1UhYwuA

A lot of flashing colors, and there are only a few voice samples so you frequently get to hear how the dwarf's butt is sore.

Still waiting on chapter two...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The extremely shocked skeleton on the left is amazing :allears: And it's not even the one being shocked!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Alright let's get back to the real poo poo, the pure turds if you will.

The Fifth Element for PS1 (1998)

https://youtu.be/biRQmC86Tbw

An absolutely horrible 3rd person shooter. Remember all the original action sequences and exciting set design from the movie? You'll find none of that here.

Korben has hair for some reason and controls like a tank. The game feels like an unfinished cash grab.

I was so disappointed I wasted my weekly rental (for all assignments turned in) on this poo poo show.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When I was a little kid I was mainly a Mac gamer, and I just played whatever shareware my dad or my friends' dad brought home from work on a floppy. My friends were briefly obsessed with this fighting game called Grizzly. You play as prerendered 3D animals, so it was kind of like Killer Instinct if Killer Instinct had been Mac shareware. The UI is really something. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHndmBShtFg&t=4s

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Poohs Packin posted:

An absolutely horrible 3rd person shooter. Remember all the original action sequences and exciting set design from the movie? You'll find none of that here.

Korben has hair for some reason and controls like a tank. The game feels like an unfinished cash grab.

I was so disappointed I wasted my weekly rental (for all assignments turned in) on this poo poo show.

That movement reminded me so much of Nightmare Creatures and it looks like the same company made both. The atmosphere of NC is so good but it is just awkward. Quick camera movements as enemies jump around but tank controls make it confusing.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Poohs Packin posted:

Iirc they couldn’t secure the likeness for Bruce Willis, so the character model had to look different and they couldn’t show his face in any of the movie clips they used

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Poohs Packin posted:

Yo I would have sworn I played that on a demo disc, but then I remembered there is an entirely unrelated other PS1 game starring Bruce Willis!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM191mkD3U0
Apparently it wasn't a licensed movie game either, he just lent his likeness to it. It looks like it's less poo poo than the Fifth Element game at least.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

The UI is really something. Check it out:

Early UI's were often something to behold. Even more so when it was shareware/demo so it may or may not have a manual txt file, which may or may not work, and even if they did they may or may not be helpful. Random things in UI you had no idea what they did seemed to be the norm not the exception.

Why does it say my B is 43, what is my B, why is the number randomly changing even when I'm doing nothing, and why is it the largest number in the UI by far????

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:wtc:

Sure, Sonic 2 blows it out of the loving water in pretty much every way but to call the first one bad is just wrong. Did/do you always get lost in Marble Zone or something?

People's complaints about Sonic 1 are almost invariably about the lack of "speed" (which never was really a thing in the genesis games) and the "difficulty". I always took that to mean people were salty that they couldn't just spam the spin dash which was a strategy that would take you pretty deep into most of the later genesis games but taught you nothing about any of the other mechanics.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think we should keep this thread for truly terrible videogames, not wildly popular videogames that you personally don't like. We have the Unpopular videogame opinion thread for exactly that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

People's complaints about Sonic 1 are almost invariably about the lack of "speed" (which never was really a thing in the genesis games) and the "difficulty".

Sonic was billed as "mario but go super fast!", it's understandable that we complained after they gave us the speed in the first zone, and immediately took it away. You know, that thing that Sonic was always supposed to be about.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was a weird thing, even in sonic 2 where you could blast around anytime you wanted it was rarely advisable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not saying that the Sonic games should be glorified screensavers of super fast motion or something, sure, have platforming.

But a few loop-de-loops thrown in on a regular basis helps a poo poo load.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Fors Yard posted:

That movement reminded me so much of Nightmare Creatures and it looks like the same company made both. The atmosphere of NC is so good but it is just awkward. Quick camera movements as enemies jump around but tank controls make it confusing.

I nearly posted NC because it's almost unplayable, but is spooky and intriguing enough.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Black Stones posted:

1992 is also the year that Dragon Quest V, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes I & II, Romancing SaGa, and Soul Blazer came out. It may have been a remake of an older game, but that doesn't mean the original game wasn't better than its contemporaries.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beartaco posted:

I think we should keep this thread for truly terrible videogames, not wildly popular videogames that you personally don't like. We have the Unpopular videogame opinion thread for exactly that.

Yes, let's not focus on Sonic 1 and instead point our attention to Sonic Eraser, a Sega Meganet downloadable game with music designed to induce migraines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0HGHuTEAlI

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

shoeberto posted:

Yo I would have sworn I played that on a demo disc, but then I remembered there is an entirely unrelated other PS1 game starring Bruce Willis!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM191mkD3U0
Apparently it wasn't a licensed movie game either, he just lent his likeness to it. It looks like it's less poo poo than the Fifth Element game at least.

I dont remember this, but I remember One:

https://youtu.be/mp8LzZQjy7g

This was a super fun arcade-y platformer, 3rd person shooty game.

It's pretty thin on the story but packed with atmosphere, and a very good difficulty curve. I hardly ever see it mentioned, but it was a very good shooter among a lot of ps1 titles that sometimes felt unfinished or lazy.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

bomberman act zero was dookie

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sonic was billed as "mario but go super fast!", it's understandable that we complained after they gave us the speed in the first zone, and immediately took it away. You know, that thing that Sonic was always supposed to be about.

It definitely was advertised as that but like you said it was pretty inadvisable to actually do that past the first stage in most the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im trying and failing to remember some ps1 game made by possibly Square? It was a cop game with tank controls and your character had anime hair and flipped upside down to shoot his pistol like in a john woo movie. It was very bad.