Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

monkeytennis posted:

According to the BBC he’s plead NG. Lmao.

Just to punctuate how much of a complete and utter non-thing pleading NG at an initial arraignment is, yesterday I actually pled a guy guilty at his initial arraignment.
It was the first time I had ever done it. I had a good reason to do it that way, but doing so completely flummoxed the judge - because nobody does that, ever.
Instead, the judge entered a plea of not guilty for my guy on his behalf.
Then we did his guilty plea.

The part of an initial arraignment that matters is ensuring that a defendant knows what crime(s) they have been accused of and what their rights are with regard to those crimes. The plea of not guilty part is mostly a meaningless formality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Of course without giving details of the case, Whats the reason for giving a guilty plea that early without some sort of deal?

He had a deal.

I usually don't get clients until after their initial arraignment, but this guy needed an American Sign Language interpreter so I asked to be appointed early so we could frontload all the interpreter work. When I talked with my guy we went over all the judge stuff (aware of charges, rights) and my stuff (competency, process, range of punishment, rights, his side, cops side, my assessment, DA's offer, upsides/downsides, counteroffer to/from DA, plea forms, probation rules, appeal rights, etc.) so everything was ready to go when we went before the judge.

Arraignment has to happen and has to happen first. It's basically a defendant's formal presentation to the court; where they and their case are acknowledged so that the process of moving the case through the court system can begin.

Because I had gone over his rights with my guy, I did that part of the arraignment recitation, and since we had a signed deal, I announced his plea of guilty in accordance with the deal as part of the recitation. That's what threw the judge off. So judge entered a NG on my guys behalf, I explained to him what that meant, and then we did his plea.

I tried to save 5 seconds by pleading a guy guilty at initial arraignment, but the never-ness of that ever happening completely locked up the system for a moment.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Who the hell is this sheriff who cares more about the law than the good ol boy system? I’m utterly amazed.

He's a Democrat in a heavily and reliably Democratic county and came up through the corrections side, so he may not have gotten as highly dug in on the law enforcement side's good old boys network.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trump's Georgia attorney represents rappers, once got Cardi B's felony reduced to a misdemeanor, and hates him.

Here's a decent Vice article on him

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Trump will try for mistrial.

What will that get him? Stall for a couple months?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Is it adrenocrone or adrenochrome?

Asking for a friend

Adrenochrome is from children, the other is from old ladies.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump would end up living longer than Elvis and Bigfoot combined if this happened.

A new boogeyman for the children of Newfoundland.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

I swear Biden's people were just off-screen going NO, LET HIM COOK

I wonder where he got the 35k number from, since the American number is apparently 5855 and total deaths were somewhere around 25k. Apparently the overall "we gave away the panama canal" thing is standard republican boomer nonsense about how the treaty was bad or some poo poo. The equivalent of the "we should've kept the Iraqi oil" argument.

5-12k deaths building the Panama Railway, and about 22k for the French try on the canal.
The US did 2 1/2 years of prep work before beginning the canal, including a huge amount of work (derided by many as 'the mosquito theory') reducing malaria and yellow fever by improved sanitation and eradicating mosquitos in the canal area.
Ironically, 1904 Trump would have been apoplectic at the 20 million on healthcare (including sanitation and mosquito control) for canal workers.
and a little bit of :negative: - while everyone got medical care, only white workers lived in the mosquito exclusion areas and had housing provided - black workers had to make do elsewhere.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Full.
Metal.
Jacket.

And The Shining.

Well, just about anything with Jack Nicholson too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

There is nothing chudgy or out of the ordinary in the judge's response. It's the standard worthless mealy mouthed answer every judge gives. If anything this judge gave more than what normally would be expected in a response.