Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aliensandwich posted:

The decals on Space Marine intercessor pauldrons are what I've been dealing with currently. Not too complex, but just round enough to be annoying.

Do you lay on the Microsol after the decal has been placed?

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQiDs9nI7P4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I actually got into guard because I like the GW line of Cadians an awful lot, I'm aware this is silly. I loved the old, bad ones when I was a kid and the new ones really appeal

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 26, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Microset and Microsol are amazing.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Wow! That really is seamless.

Once I get the decals on, I'm gonna upgrade my account to actually post progress pics.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aliensandwich posted:

Wow! That really is seamless.

Once I get the decals on, I'm gonna upgrade my account to actually post progress pics.

just an image host like imgur or whatever the new version is

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Demilich posted:

Varnish talk:
Vallejo Mecha Varnish is great and comes in gloss satin, and matt

I used to love Mecha Matte, but then I got two bottles in a row that were gummed up and wouldn't go through my airbrush, so I switched to AK Ultra Matte and haven't looked back.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Am I loving up by not applying varnish to my minis?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Not really, but you remove the risk of rubbing off paint when touching the model over extended periods of time. Especially if you're playing games with them.

And if you use weathering powders and such you do need to seal it down with varnish.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Varnish can both help to protect your paint job and also to alter the final composition of your mini. I really like AK ultra matte for how it flattens my stuff out and reduces gloss and shine; if I really want something glossy like a gem or a lens, I just go back in with some ‘ardcoat.

Anyway I don’t think you’re messing up, but it’s worth your time to experiment with satin, gloss, and matte to see which one you like, especially if you have an airbrush to spray it on already.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The point of using lahmian medium on decals isn't to act like a varnish to protect them, it's just a quick and easy way of dulling down the sheen of the decals to match the matt-ness of the paint.

That said, you can probably get the same effect with a matt varnish anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Spanish Manlove posted:

just an image host like imgur or whatever the new version is

I believe there's a new goon one, it was mentioned in one of the posts...

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bucnasti posted:

I used to love Mecha Matte, but then I got two bottles in a row that were gummed up and wouldn't go through my airbrush, so I switched to AK Ultra Matte and haven't looked back.

How old were your gummed up bottles? I got mine a few years ago and it would suck if the newer bottles were gummy trash.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Demilich posted:

How old were your gummed up bottles? I got mine a few years ago and it would suck if the newer bottles were gummy trash.

This was two or three years ago. I used my first bottle and loved it so much that i bought a great big bottle the second time and it was terrible. So I bought a third smaller bottle and it was also impossible to get to run through my airbrush so I moved over to AK Ultra Matte.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Finished up my Death Company squad!

Now to figure out if I want to go back to my Dark Angel based scheme for the rest of my army or just switch wholesale to Black and Red to rip and tear

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
re:re:fw varnish chat

Varnish isn't neccesarily only for varnishing

a thin layer of f.ex stormshield over a finished model can very slightly dull the colours, which might sound detrimental, but this also serves to smooth out transitions and highlights, which can be a nice bonus besides protecting your paintjob

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Aliensandwich posted:

The decals on Space Marine intercessor pauldrons are what I've been dealing with currently. Not too complex, but just round enough to be annoying.

Do you lay on the Microsol after the decal has been placed?

Lay decal, dab dry with q-tip. If you're using microset apply it to the surface before the decal.

Brush on microsol and let air dry.

Repeat microsol application until decal flattens.

Clearcoat.

Bohemian Nights posted:

re:re:fw varnish chat

Varnish isn't neccesarily only for varnishing

a thin layer of f.ex stormshield over a finished model can very slightly dull the colours, which might sound detrimental, but this also serves to smooth out transitions and highlights, which can be a nice bonus besides protecting your paintjob

Conversely using high gloss over gems, eyes, lenses, marble and guts is a great way to get that extra shine.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Interesting way of coming on to your GM/opponent. :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cooked Auto posted:

And if you use weathering powders and such you do need to seal it down with varnish.

This hasn’t been my experience. If you want the dusty look pigments gives you, varnish will kill it immediately.

Pigment fixers help but also kill the dusty look.

In my experience, after gaming with models for years, the majority of their pigments are still in place. Applied as the very last step, especially after varnishes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll stand corrected then, must've been going off old info i've heard in the past. Never had a chance to use that stuff myself so.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll stand corrected then, must've been going off old info i've heard in the past. Never had a chance to use that stuff myself so.

They definitely can rub off. But it does depend somewhat on the effect you're aiming for. If you want a very opaque look then a lot of the excess pigment can come away and ruin it, whereas if you've just stained the paintwork then not much more will come off at that stage even if you attack it with a dry brush. The underlying finish also makes a difference - if you powder something matte coated it will grip a lot more. Conversely if you wanna adjust the powder coating after application gloss the model so the powder can be washed away.

If you have heavily powdered something and are handling it then I would be more worried about the pigment transferring onto your hands and staining your clothes and surroundings.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tarquinn posted:

Interesting way of coming on to your GM/opponent. :v:

I actually just bought a similar set for my wife for D&D. The D20 has "gently caress Me" and "gently caress You" for the relevant values.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/Pjschard/status/1771706951245660669

I love this so much :allears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Hahaha this rules

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jesus and he must have done it within a month too

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/crushjansen/status/1772640889074020678

Spotted another angle on my feed.

And another one:
https://twitter.com/StudioOwlbear/status/1762522985359876167

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking at the attributes for Leman Russ Demolisher and Rogal Dorn, and I'm not sure if the extra 60 points are worth it. Seems a bit risky to put so many eggs into one tank shaped basket.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

Looking at the attributes for Leman Russ Demolisher and Rogal Dorn, and I'm not sure if the extra 60 points are worth it. Seems a bit risky to put so many eggs into one tank shaped basket.

I've been bringing both my Demolisher TC and Dorn in from Strat reserves lately, and it slaps.

Opponents do not know what to do with it lol

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

a pale ghost posted:

Any tips for a guard army on a budget?

Soviet KV-2 tank kits can be had pretty cheap, and if anyone challenges the choice, it's the Imperial Ragnarök.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

a pale ghost posted:

Keep an eye out for discounted Cadia Stands boxes. It's the Combat Patrol box with last edition's codex, which inexplicably causes it to show up $40 cheaper than the Combat Patrol sometimes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

a pale ghost posted:

I actually got into guard because I like the GW line of Cadians an awful lot, I'm aware this is silly. I loved the old, bad ones when I was a kid and the new ones really appeal

Lostconfused posted:

Buy 3rd party plastic toy soldiers with guns for half the price or less.
Even for Cadians, this is viable. 28mm WW2 US infantry get you most of the way to their current-gen look, and some knockoff lasguns from Spellcrow or wherever you like plus a bit of knifework will get you some decent infantry for a fraction of the cost.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

a pale ghost posted:

There's a couple of third-party companies that do Guardsmen minis for cheaper than GW. I think the two that immediately come to mind are Wargames Atlantic and Mantic. Obviously they're not 1:1 to Cadians but it wouldn't hurt to give them a look.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

a pale ghost posted:

1:35 historical vehicle kits look great if you 40k them up a bit with bitz. If you put a little effort in, use GW bitz and decals, not a soul will give you a hard time and they will fit in just fine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a pale ghost posted:

cut out a bunch of soldiers from cracker jack boxes and tape them to some bottle caps

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Spanish Manlove posted:

cut out a bunch of soldiers from cracker jack boxes and tape them to some bottle caps

The brave soldiers of trailer park prime

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

taking Demos up to TCs for shoot-on-death is usually wise, although it means losing the ability to shoot the cannon into melee. a non-TC demo is a hard call over an eradicator: is it worth 40 points to you to be better at shooting into hard targets? tough call.

Rogal Dorns are worth it, with a caveat. Comparing their shooting to a vanilla LR or executioner for 80pts less, they get about three more, better cannon shots (if you take the oppressor, which you should) and the equivalent of an extra sponson in meltaguns. T12 is -1 to wound from S12 and S6, both common, and OC 5 is much nicer than 3. the dorn has at least 7 extra wounds, possibly more if you can zero out a hit with higher damage than 2. having greater output and durability on one hull is usually more useful, since it maximizes the utility of orders and stratagems and makes it easier to concentrate force in one place. but at that point you can start looking at superheavies which aren't nearly as tough but put out more than double the number of high-quality shots for less than twice the price.

(btw: usable superheavies are the stormsword, banesword, and baneblade.)

the main reason to not go RD is to be able to control more of the table with hulls, but that's probably what tank-heavy guard wants to do. a dorn costs about as much as a LR and a half, and a TC is just such a nice package if you want a premium tank or two (and doesn't require buying an entirely different model!) if TCs ever catch a price hike or a game text nerf, i think RDs become a lot more attractive.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

At that point might as well use the official back of the box 1:1 scale soldiers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

At that point might as well use the official back of the box 1:1 scale soldiers.

I still pull out my 2nd edition Dark Millennium cardboard cutout Ork dreadnaught for laughs every so often. It's an officially licensed product, that makes it legal!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bird food bathtub posted:

I still pull out my 2nd edition Dark Millennium cardboard cutout Ork dreadnaught for laughs every so often. It's an officially licensed product, that makes it legal!

What base size though? :colbert:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eediot Jedi posted:

What base size though? :colbert:

I go by the original rules. Quarter-sized stand up base and hull measurement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

Looking at Eldar lists and it's all swooping hawks and war spiders. But what if I think striking scorpions and banshees look better?

Scorpions are actually kinda good, especiallly if you kitbash one of them to be Karen Draws, the Pheonix Lord. They can infiltrate (start in no man’s land) and they do lots of mostly unblockable dev wounds.