Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

The earliest and the hottest of takes followed by the laughter of thirsting gods.

If I ever make a collective thread for Warhammer RPG's I'm going to title it "The clatter of thirsting dice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or just opportunistic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

When were Dark Eldar invented? (I don't mean in-universe, I mean in Nottingham).

I haven't played 40k properly since 2nd edition when I was a kid.

They got their first models for 3rd ed at least. Pretty sure they've puttered around in the lore for a bit longer than that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the longevity of 3rd is why GW does edition switches every couple of years now. Since that one lasted from 1998 to 2004.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LGD posted:

yeah, though it'll be interesting to see if that continues given the apparent change in approach to rules distribution and updating, since it means there is potentially less financial incentive to try to sell people new codices

otoh the need to shake things up periodically in order to move kits hasn't gone away, so maybe not

I mean there are probably multiple reasons, but I think they realised that they let 3rd edition linger for too long. Especially considering some armies got multiple codex releases under the same edition.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think by now they've gotten the basics down pat, hopefully 11th ed will only see minor alterations to the formula and just some refinements.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I don't think they're ever going to be that bold.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Got to save something for 11th edition. :cheeky:
Knowing how protracted the development timetable is for editions it really wouldn't surprise me if I we saw it during 11th edition and HH2.0 is/was the test bed for it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

"The codex system still works with the Primaris, trust us" is about the vibe I'm getting with how little time and effort they've spent on that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well unless its Ultramarines or Dark Angels.
Looking through the synopsis for a Black Library anthology auction I didn't win made me realise that they were really oddly focused on the Dangles early on. Because almost every single space marine related story in that book featured Dark Angels.
Except I believe one that was about Ultramarines. :v:

I'd almost compare Space Marines to 75th Ranger more than Seals. But that might also be because I have a dislike for the latter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Part of the reason Space Marines are mythologized as being such incredible warriors is that ‘Brother Septimus’ has a service record of dozens of campaigns, thousands of confirmed kills, and numerous incredible feats because it’s actually 108 separate Marines all consolidated for paperwork deception.

Considering Ultramarines naming standards, that is definitely true.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.

If you include their egos you might as well just double that number. :cheeky:

But if ever make a custom IG regiment there is a strong chance I would just throw the regular Guard force organisation out the window.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The best idea with push fit models is to clip off the majority of those pins either way, and then glue it together normally. Push fit stuff isn't all that great in reality.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Very different doctrine in this case. Considering the Marine in question is from the Mentors, and they're not really a chapter that rolls out in combat in force. Instead they, either single or in squads, get assigned, or loaned out, to other chapters to learn what they know.

Spear of the Emperor was probably the first time in a long time they actually got screen time, because back in 2nd ed they had special rules and equipment attached to them.

From what recall the Spears were more upset that the Mentors used the geneseed from a chapter they used to know, the Red Scorpions, than the entourage of helot serfs.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 5, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well it's far less likely now that Forgeworld has been downsized to only making supplemental models to other games and buried Imperial Armour under a pile of failed resin casts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

is supposed to indicate the influence and wealth of the Inquisition.

Clearly riding the wrong vehicle for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5ro1nWsPU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

in one of the the later Gaunt's ghosts books (forget which one) they raid an 'archenemy' mechanicus forge-factory on an asteroid, fight through thousands of enemy soldiers, and bring 3 space marines from different chapters to support them

Salvation's Reach in this case.
Which is only the tip of the iceberg of the various Dark Mechanicus shenanigans in that specific sector, not to mention in the plot of the series.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That reads almost like a bot reply, ngl.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That might be the reason why yeah.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure Eldar are strongly in the anti-Chaos side of things.
At most they might covertly tip the scale of things, but would baulk at fighting side by side with chaos forces for sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Scrap Alpha Legion as an army and repurpose them into Agents of Chaos instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels less like an overcorrection and more at them looking at what sold the most.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

They barely gave the alien federation idea a chance, we only got Kroot (which seem relatively popular) and single unit of vespid. Hardly testing the waters. I think they just didn't really know what to do with that branch and were happy to lop it off.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a designer at GW who really likes mechs and pushed hard for that side to continue.
Who knows. v:v:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Covenant was right there you know.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Lets be real theres a ton of players who like mechs, theyre cool and i bet like 80% of tau players bought in because crisis suits are dope

Sure, but I'd figure the shift towards a mech heavier Tau might've just come from a push by one of the designers than just pure salesfigures.
Hard to tell obviously.

Professor Shark posted:

Never played Halo

Ah. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know they were supposed to be their close combat troops, and I also recall playing against Eldar that souped in a unit or two of Kroot mercenaries but it was amongst friends so no idea if that was legal or not in 3rd - I think it was probably a white dwarf thing?

There was a Kroot Mercenary army you could run via Chapter Approved in 3rd. No idea if you could ally them in though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They did otoh use a painters model without permission for something, and when prompted to remove it they instead just posted a grey scaled version instead.
No idea if that thing ever got a resolution, just something I picked up over the grapevine a while back.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kind of surprised Corvus Belli hasn't messed up yet, being also Spanish.

In other news, the Arvus Lighter returns in plastic format.
Which... I honestly did not expect.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/10/the-arvus-lighter-returns-to-show-the-horus-heresy-that-frills-dont-pay-the-bills/

Always wanted one. I think it looks adorably chubby.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

It's still in resin.

However I'd guess that this being 'retooled' at full size means it's been worked on with an updated Epic-scale version in mind... which should now be in plastic. Currently it's the only confirmed Solar Auxillia transport in that scale.

Doh. I must've crossed my wires when I skimmed through the text and noticed the retooled bit.
Frankly it should be available in plastic. Especially now that they squ- votan- got rid of the IA version.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Their UK equivalent is Navara Cases in this case.

Then Rosemary & Co for really good brushes.

While belonging more in the painting thread perhaps, WarColours Shop might be a fun addition if you're looking for different paints, with the highlight being the 94 nostalgia series.
Also, free gravy during purchases.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 10, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If people in the UK (or willing to deal with international shipping) are looking for bits resellers for conversion work then it's worth mentioning bitzbox.co.uk, bitsandkits.co.uk and forbiddengaming.co.uk, I've repeatedly used all three with no issues.

If anyone can make similar recommendations for EU, NA, etc equivalents that would probably be a be useful addition too.

Another UK offer is BitsMonster.

For EU have Bitzarium (French), Bitzstore (French) and Bitsbay (Italian). Only shipped from the first one in the past so no idea about the second one.
There is also Megabitzshop, but they don't ship to the EU, despite being based in Germany, due to tax issues.

As for the US? You've got Hoard 'O Bits and that's it outside of Ebay stores.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As a Scandinavian I've had remarkable success with french resellers. Not too insane shipping prices there. Unlike German stores.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug:
I feel the same can be said for other bits stores. Most of them tend to have really spotty resupply intervals.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've had some luck with Facebook market groups, like the nid heads for the trophies I got via asking one of the warhammer groups I'm in. Even scored some Elysian accatran lasrifles a while back through the same channel.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/13/sunday-preview-sneaky-space-marines-and-a-whole-season-of-kill-team

Some odd pre-orders this week.

First there's the have Space Marines Vanguard Task Force. Which is just the Shadowspear units.
Then the Indomitus Captain and Lieutenant get their own standalone release at last.

The fact that the Master of Possession is also getting a stand alone release is going to make someone happy.

I think they actually took the time to redo the sprues for this, or somehow managed to separate them. Which is interesting.

The big news on the other hand is that a bunch of Kill Team will finally be available.
The Felgor Ravagers, the Hand of Archon and Hearthkyn Salvagers to be precise.

And most importantly, the Inquisitorial Retinue.

Then there's the Gallowfall terrain as well, and the KT annual 2023.

Oh, and another 30k Marine. But whatever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

So now the only thing not available from Shadowspear is the CSM monopose sprues.

That's what I meant, it's the Marine half of shadowspear. :|
Hell, it's even a reissue of the old Start Collecting Space Marines box if you want to be really petty about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Sorry, I'm only splitting hairs here because you're right, it would be interesting if they'd separated the sprues or re-did the CAD files and made new moulds or something like that. False alarm, though; they did not.

I was wondering if they had changed the Master of Possession and Indomitus Sprues. Not the Shadowspear ones.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Could've sworn that Indomitus had a lot of the same units on a single sprue as well. At least grouped together from what I can recall.

But it looks like the MoP was separate in this case.
Same with the Captain and Lieutenant. Weird though that they are getting bundled together.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

xenos side of things, the new monopose warrior and termagant kits have to be designed to be evergreen -- those are the necron warrior and tyranid termagant kits going forward, because xenos don't sell well enough to justify whole moulds designed to be used for three years and then shelved.

Except that doesn't really hold up, considering they are doing a new Termagant box which is to some extent multipart since it has new weapon options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still have a sealed box of those monopose Reivers that I got ages back as a gift. Even had an intercessor one that I broke open a while back because I got a bunch of chapter upgrade sprues I could use to make them look interesting.