Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

I think that was also the era of Eldar D weapons as well.

Can't forget the lists that would run a pair of invisible Wraithknights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I love your use of orange as a spot color. It really pops against the purple while also elevating the purple. Great job.

Changing topics real quick, I hear that Land Raiders are good this edition. Are Primaris allowed to ride in them yet?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Kaal posted:

Yeah they can use everything but Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Awesome! I might have to start working on Marines again now that it is getting easier to make an army that has the classic Marine look and feel. (I am not a fan of the hover tanks compared to the classic Land Raiders and Rhinos)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of helmets, I wish I knew how many MKVII helmets come in the Sternguard kit. I hope it is more than just one because I really miss the old Space Marine aesthetic and I'm beginning to run low on old small marine helmets for primaris head swaps.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

Check the recent sprue pics and hope you can make them out on the really small images that GW usually provides on the website? :v:
Or wait until tomorrow when they pre-orders go up and check the webstore.

I did. They are all pictures of the back of the helmets. No front pics.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was just reminded that Desolator Space Marines exist since they are coming out soon.

Has anyone managed to do any conversions to make that design look good?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 30, 2023

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cost effective way to get a bunch of MKVII helmet bits?

I want the majority of my Celestial Lions to have MKVII helms because I prefer the look of them and I'm beginning to run low on my bits box.

I tried looking on ebay thinking they would still be readily available but sadly it looks like that well is drying up.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah post a pic of which helmet you're looking for.

I have SO MANY Space Marine heads.

Essentially any of this type of Space Marine helmet.

Edit: drat those noise marines look awesome.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have completed my Celestial Lions Chapter Master. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's the first model I've completed in a while.

Edit: Jesus, that Angron is awesome! I love the hands on the base.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 9, 2023

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
drat, I saw Battlefleet Gothic appear in the thread related to a Warcom article and I got my hopes up.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Finished another Celestial Lion. This time it is a Primaris Chaplain.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cease to Hope posted:

See, those examples strike me as the sort of thing Phobos marines should be. Say what you want about the tacticool goofiness, at least it's an aesthetic! If you give the infiltration squad gimmick to Phobos dudes, then what scouts have left are the fact that they're inexperienced bravos who haven't earned proper armor yet, and very likely to die before they do. The very first scout models, from a Space Hulk expansion, definitely did have that vibe (in part because they were a comedy hard mode for Space Hulk).

That's kinda why I like the Black Templars method of having them mixed in with initiates in the Crusader squad. It always made more sense than sending the least experienced guys on the stealthier scouting missions.

Plus since I'm modeling Celestial Lions it makes more sense to have mixed squads due to the whole almost dead chapter thing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
At least the one thing with scouts is that it further culls the weak aspirants from the stronger ones so maybe they are only being told they are being used for scouting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am nowhere close to caught up on the Dawn of Fire series or whatever is going on with the Indomitus Crusade. Are the Raptors playing a large part in it or something?

I'm just surprised to see that they got such a big section on the Space Marine decal sheet and surprised we got that rather than Raven Guard.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Athas posted:

My wife is building a Harlequin army, and I am moderately envious of her creativity.

These are rad as hell. I love the basing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Those look sick as hell. I love how much they remind me of the aliens from the old Area 51 arcade shooter.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Al-Saqr posted:

Looking at a normal deathwing terminators, yeah I'm more interested and excited for a line-up that looks more like this than I am for the deathwing Knights:-

I'm guessing that the Knights kit is going to build off of the regular Terminator kit in such a way that you can just put Terminator arms on the Knight bodies to make regular Deathwing Terminators as opposed to the Knights. (Similar to multipart Terminator arms fitting on the push fit ones)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Played my first games of 10th over the weekend. My local store was running a 500pt "combat patrol in spirit" event to try and get people playing 40k again, since a lot of people dropped off in 9th. So it was essentially bring a 500pt list that had to be reviewed by the store owner to make sure it was "in the spirit of a combat patrol." (Essentially, making sure noone was bringing stupid powerful poo poo for the purpose of stomping people at the lower points costs)

It was a lot of fun. I ended up bringing a squad of Terminators with a Termie Chaplain, a squad of Sword Brethren, and a squad of Sternguard. Lost my first game due to the objectives, though I killed all but one of my opponent's Space Wolves.

The second game I played was against Guard and I felt kinda bad because it was the players second turn and my dice were rolling really hot. First turn my terminators mulched his large blob of guardsmen with the massive amount of rapid fire storm bolter shots they get combined with the cyclone frag missiles and from there he was very much on the back foot the rest of the game. But he thankfully didn't seem to mind that much and was enjoying the game regardless of the high casualties the guard took.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next months combat patrol event, though I'm probably going to bring a less elite list.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Nazzadan posted:

Was it a combat patrol or a boarding patrol that was like, Abaddon with 10 cultists and 5 legionaries in 9th and it was basically unbeatable in the 500pt format

Edit: found it yeah it was the boarding patrol CSM box, it was Abby, the legionary kill team, and 20 cultists

I just decided to see if this was still able to be done and it is now 10 points too much.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone know of any guides or have any tips on how to kitbash my own Nartheciums?

I had a kinda dumb idea to model a squad of Primaris Vanguard Vets/rear end marines that all double as Apothecaries, the thought being that the Celestial Lions are so hosed for numbers right now that they have begun having veterans also perform double duty so that as little geneseed goes unrecovered as possible.

This in addition to the influence of the Black Templars advisors and their low numbers resulting in an increasing divergence from Codex organizational norms.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That is extremely simple of a solution and I love it. Thanks guys. (I also have a poo poo ton of spare chainswords)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just make sure you paint the interior it before you put the armor on.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

3 Action Economist posted:

They've fixed the BA and other indices:

Blood Angels:
Brother Corbulo can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Captain Tycho can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Commander Dante can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Death Company Marines with Jump Packs can now be led by any Chaplain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Gabriel Seth can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Guard can now be led by any Captain that could lead an Assault Squad with Jump Packs
Sanguinary Priest can now lead Assault Intercessors and Sternguard Veterans
Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack can now lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs

Dark Angels:
Asmodai can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Azrael can now lead Company Heroes
Ezekiel can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans

Deathwatch:
Corvus Blackstar: Centurions now take the space of 3 models for transport purposes
Deathwatch Veterans can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans
Proteus Kill Team can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

Space Wolves
Can no longer include Apothecaries
Blood Claws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors
Grey Hunters: Grav Gun damage changed to 2
Skyclaws can now be led by any character that could lead Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
Wolf Guard can now be led by any character that could lead Sternguard Veterans

Odd that they didn't throw anything to the Black Templars, but on the other hand the Templars aren't exactly hurting by not being able to throw a Castellan into an intercessor squad.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Was gun-shy on Speed Paint based on the initial release but have heard they got a lot better after a revision. Are the skin tones in the newer formulas?

Yes. I've actually been finding a lot of success with combining their Dark Wood and Warrior Flesh speedpaints in different ratios for my Celestial Lions.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
They they are more merchantalist than capitalist.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

iospace posted:

I will once I get a drill! For a comparison, against a normally helmeted head:

Now to find either some loose Stormcast heads or 3d print some.

I do plan on 3d printing some weapons too.

I got mine from this website. They are the OOP FW heads. They ship from Ukraine but the shipping to the US wasn't bad ($8). Took two or three weeks to arrive. Quality was good, no mold slipping.

I'm using them for my Celestial Lions Crusader Squads to represent human auxiliaries in power armor fighting alongside the depleted chapter.

https://blacklegionmarket.co/product/stormcast-eternals-heads-upgrade-set-2/

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sounds great, but why stop at auxiliaries? Just have some Apothecary press the 'Female Space Marines' button. What's the Inquisition gonna do, purge them even harder?

Slowly easing into it organically. But that is most likely going to happen at some point.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Athas posted:

Deathwing are the colour of ivory; the most dire of painting experiences. Custodes look tolerable with a metallic colour, a shade, and a drybrush. (At least I hope mine do.)

Nah, that would be bright orange. If it even gets a whiff of a cool tone in a layer underneath it prepare to put layer after layer on it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

AnEdgelord posted:

just the other day I was trying to think of what a second detachment could even look like for my BT and was coming up blank and I can't imagine it will be any easier for SW, BA or DW, at least DA had the 'wings' to pull from

You know, you have a point. What would you do for a second BT detachment ability? Anything that isn't covered by the already high utility BT detachment is covered by the vanilla detachments.

I'm just glad that it seems GW is continuing to allow oddball Marine chapters to use Vanilla detachments. It let's me run psykers alongside Black Templar units for my Lions.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm just hoping I can get Asmodai as I need him for a conversion.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, just primed a broadside and the primer is slightly fuzzed and ended up cracking on one part. Really hoping I didn't get another bad can of army painter primer.

I'm torn between stripping it or just going with it because I'm modeling it as Wintertide Concordate on Phaedra and leaning into the whole morass of decay aspect of it so the texture might lend itself to the weathered look, but I'm not sure.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just say that one of the heads is vestigial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Some of the Celestial Lions that I've done over the past 6 months.

Thanks again to Bucnasty and Muir for the MK7 heads.