Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Outered space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Note that in recent lore the language loophole that allows the Sisters of Battle to exist was an intentional reward for the faithful that killed Goge Vandire and ended the Age of Aposty

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

I like to imagine the chapter organisation stuff is handwaved away now because it is very very dumb for 1,000 Ultramarines and auxiliaries to resist an entire Black Legion invasion of their homeworld.

I've always imagined that the actual "active" number of space marines in a chapter is always way higher than 1000. With the primaris chapters and such I feel pretty comfortable with continuing to ignore that number.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Randalor posted:

There's been mention of servators piloting the various transports or gunships and being wired directly into the weapon controls of vehicles, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the same thing for the tanks.

Yeah, Iron Hands vehicles for example are usually described as being piloted or coopiloted by servitor/machine spirit

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 5, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It woukd be cool to get a campaign book about the Indomitus Crusade one day

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arven posted:

Most planets are usually described as having a few million people at most, though. There is a huge gap in the lore where planets either have 100 billion people living in a hive or half a million people spread out in a few population centers. Is it authors continuing to misunderstand scale, or are they trying to explain the small force sizes? Who knows!

I've read a lot of recently written 40k books this year, and it's still very apparent that GW relies on the author's familiarity with the setting instead of having some kind of concrete lore documentation that they work off of. It wouldn't surprise me if authors have the 40k wiki open on a second screen while they write.

Some planets are villages, some planets are kingdoms, some planets are countries and some planets are very crowded

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I love 'total conversion' armies like that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
during the heresy every single space marine was just alpharius and omegon running around really fast

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

That's a good bit! The mauls I found are basically that textured trophy-looking pillar handle, so some of these look like it'll get me the rest of the way there.

Before I get too far in, there's no "expanded rule of 3" I'm missing is there? It feels like I'm getting away with bullshit to use 3 jump pack Chaplains and then 3 Primaris Chaplains.

Nope

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I want to get a rough idea of the size of the various inquisition weirdos and then do a big ol kitbash/conversion/etc and make my own squad of freaks. I think I remember someone doing a really badass custom build for the rogue trader kill team, which would also be a fun project.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
As much as I love the Agenta of thw Imperium units, it does loving suck that there isn't some sort of equivalent for other factions like Xenos Mercenaries or Agents of Chaos or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Deleter posted:

Vespid look really squat and goofy, and when I snag a squad I'll definitly go for a 3d printed option. Kroot could use a refresh but I kinda wnana see everything get off of that finecast as well, which includs stuff like the Firesight team and a bunch of Ethereal special characters iirc,

I would love a Vespid kill team that look like Brundleflies or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Green Stuff World has a confirmed history of being dicks and it's extremely likely that they're also nazi dicks.

Even with an over-generous benefit of the doubt, they're not anyone you'd want to recommend in an OP.

Yeah, otherwise that's a good list

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Was it GSW or another company that published that book about how to make nazi gas chamber dioramamas? I think it was a spanish company.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

What are you guys even talking about, basically every single tournament in the world posts their lists and results to Best Coast Pairings. We have near perfect information on what goes on in tournaments at all levels. Obfuscating high level lists isn't a business decision by GW because GW has no control over what gets posted online.

And yeah the game definitely gravitates towards "solved" lists for each faction, but it is rare for a faction to have just one "solved" list and there is still plenty of innovation. And it is plenty fun playing high level competitive games.

GW isn't hiding poo poo, an article about winrates at tourneys probably isn't their entire analysis of game balance.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Those are awesome, I love the naturalistic colours

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ashcans posted:

Their first book was published in 1998 (3rd) and they didn't get a new codex until 2010 (5th). They did get a reprint of the codex in 2003, but it was mostly just consolidating some White Dwarf rules that had been published to the original book (for example, Dark Eldar were released without any Vehicle Upgrades, and those were later released in WD and added in the reprint).

This was particularly brutal because Dark Eldar were introduced in the 3rd edition starter, so there were undoubtedly a bunch of people who decided to collect them based on their inclusion in the starter.

I started back in 2008 and it was painful watching people try to run dark eldar armies. The 2010 update was amazing but not all the old armies were that lucky. Ask me about running Witch Hunters :v:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stephenls posted:

I used to be able to get bits from Australia to Canada cheaper than from the US. Bitzgalaxy remains my favorite ebay bits store, though I haven't bought from them for a while.

The problem doesn't seem to be Canada Post; all these UK and Australian stores hand off to Canada Post for the last leg of the journey the same way the US stores do. It's something to do with the US/Canada postage interface. Maybe the Commonwealth has some sort of price deal for mail transfers?

I work for canada post and, IIRC, the trump admin ended several agreements between canada and us postal services and made shipping across the border much more expensive both ways.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

US shipping to ROW has always been stupidly expensive- $20 for the cheapest, smallest, slowest and untracked parcel.

For better or worse it stopped me buying metal Battletech models since I would pay more in shipping than product most of the time.

It was never cheap to get stuff sent across borders but it's definitely gotten significantly worse over the last 5 ir 6 years

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

As a Canadian I'm now glad I jumped onto this WH+ bandwagon back when it first launched because I wanted More Warhammer. More Often.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

OctaMurk posted:

The new biovores look so cool

I love the spidervores

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wrr posted:

So since DKoK doesn't have any characters (as far as I can tell) I just gotta grab some rando from the list?

Character is a keyword some models have and doesn't necessarily refer to a named character. You can use a pretty wide variety of character units as your warlord.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
500 points only really works if the players work together while listbuilding to create forces that are somewhat balanced against each other. Even then it's usually still pretty skewed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Devorum posted:

Can almost guarantee there's going to be a new Combat Patrol box with each new codex. Or close to it.

I loving hope so

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Floppychop posted:

But also, many show what/how they do it. I've become a much better painter since I started following that thread.

It is an excellent resource

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

I just waded through the Forgotten Realms wiki cause of BG3 and let me tell you, 40k is incredibly consistent high literature compared to that.

It's genuinely impressive to me that 40k books have a fairly consistently high quality, I don't know of any other licensed tie-in novel series that are as consistent

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
They look pretty nice to me! Definitely better than my first few space marines back when I started, haha. Good job

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

The cities of sigmar stuff looks cool because it reminds me of the brettonian peasant pikemen

Misread pikemin as pikmin and imagined something very different

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm afraid to Google it, what's a pikmin?

Little bug-plant critters from a nintendo game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ro5s posted:

Building/converting has always been my favourite, coming up with character ideas and cobbling them together out of spare bits is the good poo poo when you can see your idea come together.

I used to not enjoy painting because I'd go too had on it and burn myself out leading to unpainted armies but now that I've figured out a more sustainable pace I find it pretty relaxing.

Conversions, kitbashes and other similar assembly is absolutely my favourite part of the hobby. It scratches a similar itch that lego did.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 25, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah customizing, either through conversions or paint is my absolute favorite part of the hobby.
It's very important to me that if I ever actually put an army on the table that it looks nothing like anyone elses.

Absolutely agreed! I want my space barbies to be weird and different.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

Lotta old ppl itt mad about the sacrifices made for dynamic poses that aren't Space Marines making GBS threads themselves with giant mold lines running down their faces.

I'd rather work harderbon my kitbashes then have those loving moldlines

And fwiw some of the newer kits have been designed to be kitbashable, like the necromunda hive scum set that is compatible with skitarii bionics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I actually find pewter pretty enjoyable to work with. The weight is nice, assuming it isn't a particularly top heavy model

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

stackofflapjacks posted:

Silly question perhaps, but do you have any tips? I have some skaven warlocks that I bought at the US Open that are in pewter and I'm not sure how to put them together or whether I need to pin the arms and stuff...
Do I use the same pin drill and drill bits? Do I need to pin the arms?

I haven't had any issues using the same pin drill and bits to pin my pewter as my plastic. Pinning definitely is important but wrms don't always neeeeed them if they're light. It eould depend on how they're posed and armed, haha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope the Synaspe detachment makes the brain bugs good, I want to make a big brain army

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kaal posted:

As a total outsider to the game, it certainly seems like one of the big reasons that GW is having such serious balance issues is that they jettisoned the unit slots and weapon costs which had previously been critical balancing features. By removing those elements, they gave themselves a massive and perhaps impossible job of balancing everything based purely on a single number that is supposed to be equally valuable across all factions and detachments.

While the force org chart and wargear costs were useful balancing tools they also absolutely were not critical and had become less and less relevant as time has gone on. The force org has trivial to ignore and, IME, most people would take units naked except for one or two "must take" options.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

This is very important to note! It's not 36 different strategems it's 6 packages of strats. Strats being thematically and mechanically linked to the theme of the detachment while mostly being exclusive together (you can probably assume there'll be "generic" strats that cross over to other detachments like Armour of Contempt, which actually makes burden of knowledge even less) makes them significantly easier to remember than if it was say, pick 6 of the 36.

My friend wrote this and it owns

I absolutely don't understand how people are arguing that detachments having 6 strats is somehow worse, it is so much better than 90% of strats being worthless trash

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Athas posted:

It's lovely how they explicitly condone switching out the armies involved. Looking forward to the heroic last stand of orks holding back the Custode hordes.

:sickos:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The warhammer app updated so you don't have to add default wargear for every extra model in a unit, thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

tangy yet delightful posted:

Or there's something else diabolical going on with other GW game systems, but I get the feeling that the 40K workers don't mingle and work on like AOS stuff.

10th edition seems to take a lot of cues from Sigmar, which is fine by me