Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stephenls posted:

Also (and I'm doubleposting because this is a different topic), I always assumed the "1000 guys per chapter, Badab War fought across multiple solar systems by 16,000 guys total" thing is a lot like "300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae."

It's 300 Spartans... and also 7,000 other Greek soldiers who don't get namedropped because the Spartans hog all the recognizeable glory in the legends, but who definitely took up just as much space and probably accomplished about as much as the Spartans did, Spartan military superiority being largely a self-aggrandizing myth. Space Marines are always an extreme minority in any war they fight in, but they're also what everybody talks about. The exploits of the unnumbered forces of the Imperial Guard and various other auxiliary forces get glossed over.

Just because it's funny to me to go by the Thermopylae ratio specifically and also it's funny to me to apply absurd numbers in screwily precise ways, I'm going to assume that since the saying goes one space marine is worth 100 regular soldiers, that means that the typical ratio of space marines to non-space marine auxiliaries is like 300 to 700,000, which would put the Badab War at... what, four million non-space marine combatants? Three million, eight hundred thousand or something.

Yeah this is how I picture it.
Space Marines are like Special Forces, there are only a couple dozen navy seals despite the US military being like 2m total people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Paragon8 posted:

there are 2450 active duty Navy Seals

I think adding a 0 or 00 to the numbers of Space Marines in the heresy and 40k would go a long way to making the numbers make a bit more sense. I think Star Wars fudged the number of clones from like 200k to actually being 200k squads.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.
And that just makes the number of space marines even more ridiculous, we have twice as many navy seals as there are Space Marines in a company.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Conversions, kitbashes and other similar assembly is absolutely my favourite part of thr hobby. It scratches a similar itch that lego did

Yeah customizing, either through conversions or paint is my absolute favorite part of the hobby.
It's very important to me that if I ever actually put an army on the table that it looks nothing like anyone elses.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

It's a cool look, but it feels more like something a 3D sculptor would sell to avoid stepping on GW's toes.

Yeah it does. "Umbral Lord In Power Armor" vibes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

That looks cool, like an old black and white film almost.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Muir posted:

Is Mk VII the normal one on an original first born tactical marine? How many do you need? PM me.

Yeah post a pic of which helmet you're looking for.

I have SO MANY Space Marine heads.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Essentially any of this type of Space Marine helmet.

Edit: drat those noise marines look awesome.

yeah I might be able to help.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Demilich posted:

Holy gently caress how on earth did you acquire so many?

I got a moderate size army of smol marines, which had a lot of extra heads, but also I wanted beakie heads for my primaris army, and the only way to get a lot of them was to buy entire sets of heads from bits sellers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure they weren't all that great back in the day, stuff like chestnut ink and such did show up in painting steps but then I think they had a far more specific application. The real change happened during the massive paint system overhaul when we got Agrax and so on.

I specifically remember reading painting articles in Dragon Magazine in the late 80's and they said "Apply Chesnut Ink" and I thought "What the hell is an ink?" because nobody locally sold actual citadel paints so I'd never even seen it for sale.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I thought they were wearing little cozies. Gotta keep those jetbikes warm.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

I wonder who they're going to cast as Henry Cavill.

By the time it gets made Cavill will be old enough to play Yarik without makeup.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ths is all the justification World Eater bikes need.

Yeah "Rad as hell" should be the justification for more models.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Eej posted:

The answer is to cut out more Xenos

Isn't that 30K?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/24/sunday-preview-return-to-the-battle-for-macragge/

And for... reasons I can't explain. GW has announced that the old Battle for Macragge set is coming back on a Made to Order basis.

Wonder if it will come with all the accoutrements of 4th edition? LIke the mini-rulebook, whippy sticks and scatter dice.

I actually really liked Battle of Macragge as an introduction to the game set. Like the way the instruction book was laid out, it was like a step by step tutorial to playing the game. I wish they would make a modern version for the current edition.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tbf they’re probably either walking through purpose-built colossal architecture at peace or just kool-aid manning through everywhere at war.

I mean everything in the Imperium is built like a cathedral, huge vaulted ceilings, massive double doors. It probably makes sense if you're 10 feet tall.

Back to the original point, it's not just Space Marines that are size=power in the imperium, everything is like that, spaceships, tanks, walkers etc. Like in reality there's a point where size becomes unmanageable/impossible but this is a fictional setting so MAKE IT MOAR BIGGAR.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

Xpost from painting thread
I've been getting into mini painting for the first time since high school and dang, time and patience have really helped me improve. Just finished this squad of Adrax Agatone and Bladeguard Veterans for the Dark Krakens chapter for a monthly painting competition and I'm quite happy with them.

Hell yeah Purple Marines best Marines brother.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tamiya and, AFAIK, all plastic cement has wicking action. I bought some airbrush cleaner that is the same chemical in bigger bottle for cheaper.

Plastic cement can come in different viscosities so it doesn't always have wicking action. Tamiya's Plastic Cement (Orange Bottle and top) is thick and sticky, Tamiya Extra Thin (Green Top) is what will wick into joints.
Regardless of the brand the main ingredient is methylene chloride so they can be used interchangeably, I can usually get Plastruct Plastic Weld cheaper that Tamiya, but it has a crappy applicator so I just poor it inot my empty Tamiya bottles.
If you were working on huge models or wanted to stock up, you can also buy Weld-On by the pint, same ingredient but in a much bigger container.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

What you want is an Ikea Milsbo Cabinet.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-30396448/

The're significantly larger and sturdier than a Detolf, and much nicer. Lots of folks use them for display and for indoor greenhouses so you con find instructions for adding shelves, or LED lighting if you want.
You can fit a medium sized army on a single shelf, or add a few acrylic risers to give you some extra space.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Often compromises need to be made for the manufacturing process, details may need to be removed to economically avoid undercuts. So the original proof minis that are painted for show don't 100% match the final produced minis. This happens a lot less these days because the process is so automated, but on older models when everything was done by hand it was really common.

10+ years ago when I was working on pre-painted minis they went through a bunch of steps.
The sculptors would sculpt the originals out of greenstuff or milliput based on approved concept art
Then we'd send the originals to a mold maker, who would cut the originals up and make molds of them to cast in resin.
Then we'd get the proofs, which were made of resin.
We'd send two of those proofs to our painters, one would be painted for the box art, the other for reference for the factory painters to plan their tooling.
The other proofs would be sent to the factory mold makers who'd cut them apart again to optimize for injection molding.

At either point in the mold making process something might be determined to not work with the molds so they'd be shaved off or filled in.

We'd get the final mini's from the factory and say "WTF This doesn't look anything like the concept art we approved" and then the production manager would just shrug and say "That's how it works".
These days I think the first steps are replaced with digital sculpting and printing, but at some point that digital model needs to be made into a metal mold that works on a sprue and that's where changes happen.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Why is it that DA get special rules for everything?
They're the Terminator Guys.
They're the Bike Guys.

Seems like that shits on other SM factions.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Athas posted:

I'm painting my first tank. It is looking good by my standards. But how do I protect the paint on the bottom of the tracks? It's going to be exposed to a lot of friction during play, and the paint is already rubbing off. Do I just put on a very heavy layer of varnish? Do I simply not care, given that it's not going to be visible?

Use a heavy coat of gloss varnish on the bottom. Then hit that with a light coat of matte varish.
The gloss will protect it, and then matte will even it out.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is water okay for thinning Citadel and Vallejo paints for airbrush? I was looking at Tamiya thinner earlier but a quick stretch suggests that's wrong for water based acrylics? So far I've just used an old bottle of Vallejo air white and it's been okay neat but a little thick which I think caused issues in the nozzle I'd like to avoid.

Yes water will work, but it works by diluting the paint, the color will be less saturated.

Use Airbrush thinner, which is just distilled water(90%) and Isopropyl Alcohol(10%), to thin non-airbrush paints to the general consistency you want, and then add a little bit of flow improver to get it dialed in.
Tamiya thinner is probably way too hot for Citadel and Vallejo paints.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Eej posted:

They even have specific "paint whatever you want" carve outs in official chapters like the White Scars markings that are described as "so personal only the bearer knows what they mean" or Dark Angels having coded symbols and phrases that are so secret other Dark Angels might not know what they mean. There are so many Black Templars and they are so decentralized they say that individual crusades end up doing their own colour scheme and symbols over time.

There are also campaign specific armor schemes. Like for the Badab War some chapters had custom schemes. So you can say "these are my Ultramarines in the urban camo scheme they used while storming the gates of Getoffmydick Secundus in M40.20"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I tried some Golden Crackle paste and the cracks were not small enough for a mini base.
I haven't tried any of these others, does anyone have examples of them in use? I'd really like to find something cheaper than the citadel versions so I can re-do all my ork bases.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Old sculpts might still look ok but I wouldn't trust old molds.

As I always say, it's not the years, it's the mileage.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

The third edition multipart plastic marines, the ones in the starter box, were hand-sculpted, as were all of the tanks back in those days. GW's plastics were sculpted at three-times size, then scaled down with a pantograph. Originally a mechanical router jig, and later 3D scanners. I don't know what year they made the switch to scanners, but the example in that document is from 2003.

GW didn't switch fully over to CAD until 2004-2005. I don't know when (if?) they stopped doing hand sculpting entirely, but at some point Jes Goodwin got promoted to a design lead, working more on concepts than individual sculpts.

Years ago, somewhere (WD maybe) i saw an article about this and they had a photo of a GIANT (like 8 inch tall) starter set Fantasy Dwarf, but despite my best attempts to google I couldn't' find any more information and was starting to think I imagined the whole thing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Demilich posted:

Varnish talk:
Vallejo Mecha Varnish is great and comes in gloss satin, and matt

I used to love Mecha Matte, but then I got two bottles in a row that were gummed up and wouldn't go through my airbrush, so I switched to AK Ultra Matte and haven't looked back.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Demilich posted:

How old were your gummed up bottles? I got mine a few years ago and it would suck if the newer bottles were gummy trash.

This was two or three years ago. I used my first bottle and loved it so much that i bought a great big bottle the second time and it was terrible. So I bought a third smaller bottle and it was also impossible to get to run through my airbrush so I moved over to AK Ultra Matte.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I finally cleaned out my sotar 2020 and the drat thing is sticking like crazy. What's worse is I can't figure out which end bits go with which needles since it's been such a long time.

Thats a bad place to be, nozzles and needles need to be in matched pairs or you're going to have a real bad time, especially on the delicage 2020.
I honestly have no idea how to determine which goes with which. Whenever i swap needles I always keep the nozzle in the same tube with it.

I suppose you could try each needle with each nozzle and compare how much of the needle sticks out, trial and error would probably get you a good idea of which is which.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Unless it's a new mold (which I'm sure it's not) that Metal Ork Dread is a terrible kit.
like 10+ years ago when the current Ork Dread model was released I was given one of the metal ones by the local GW manager for buying two new plastic ones. I never bothered to build it because the pieces were so janky I couldn't even dry fit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

imo its less that 40k is 'serious now' and more that orks are the one faction that doesn't take themselves seriously

but to pick a few examples at random: sisters of battle have a tank that fires rockets from a pipe organ, necrons have a transport that is basically a giant ribcage, and almost every faction in the game insists on running into melee combat to stab each other with swords. including the 40-foot tall walkers, which carry chainsaw swords the size of a car

40k is still very loving goofy, the characters other than orks are just convinced that it is serious. some players are apparently convinced of this too

Don't forget Deathguard, which embraces grossness in silly ways. Fat plaguemarines that are overflowing their armor, slime and entrails dragging behind their war machines, and sassy little nurglings all over the place.