Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

quote:

Warhammer 40k 10th Ed: A Power Fist, Stamping on a Tyranids Face - Forever

Umm, actually, the Tyranids won that campaign for their planet and we got to see their next model releases. I'm sure that was meaningful and not just GW saying "Hey, this will be a sentence in a future book and whomever loses will get an entire stream release reveal for their models later".

Another typical imperial propaganda stunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I honestly don't think alternate activations is very good for 40K. Unless it turns out I'm completely wrong (and it has been known to happen) I doubt if bother playing anymore as it turns into a draining slog back and forth of calculating which activation order you should be using and cursing your opponents double turns on top of everything else there is to remember.

At least right now when it's your opponents turn you have breathing room to sit and think about what you're doing next, only standing up to roll dice you're asked to roll.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

rantmo posted:

I read the Bunker article and I'm not sure what the point is or how it works.

To collect more data about you to optimise their product portfolio.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

hoiyes posted:

I would've thought the weird inquisition guys with the Mystic would've been more popular backfield holders thanks to the 12" no deep strike bubble.

Edit: maybe that's just because they're impossible too get?

It's because they only get that ability if they are being lead by an Inquisitor.

You have to pay 55 points for the Inquisitor, then 60 points for the 4 mooks, a servitor, and the mystic so 115 total.

For that price you can get 3 Exaction squads and spread them out.

On top of that it means taking yet another character and I think if you take more than 4 characters you're asking for your opponent to take assassinate as a fixed secondary.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably, GW is oddly consistent about more or less everyone being left handed shooters.
Which can sometimes be really, really annoying when doing conversions.

I've always viewed that as they are right handed and you put the most important weapon in your dominant hand, which is the sword as you're going to use that a lot and the pistol is basically just so you're not totally useless at range.

Like a Commissar wielding a chainsword and a bolt pistol will use their dominant hand for the chainsword because they will use that a bunch in a melee but if they aren't super accurate with the pistol it doesn't matter as they are only firing it as they charge towards someone.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Sorry but this is the 41st millenium, we must exterminatus Al-Saqr for these minor crimes against points.

Seppuku is clearly the only honourable option for Arch-Heretic Al-Saqr.

Since he asked for feedback multiple times and I didn't see much provided I guess Seppuku for everyone?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vagabong posted:

I would like to get the inquistorial weirdos set but its baffling why 3/7 of the models are monopose in a box that's explicitly designed so that you really want to buy two of them to get the full range of options.

:10bux:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

Bolts! Great idea, I have a silicone bolt maker so consider it done. It didn't cross my mind because it would be a solid piece of steel, but in 40k everything needs bolts/rivets.

edit:

Good call on the greebles, helped me fit an aquila on there.

I know it may be a bit late in the day for this suggestion but I wouldn't have put a shield on it at all. That way it just looks like a cannon.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think we do do better than "skew list" anyway.

From now on I'm going to call it a "wonk list"

Or an "askew list" or maybe even a "skew-whiff list".

Edit: Looking up synonyms just taught me the word "Thrawn" means "crooked or twisted". I wonder if that's where Admiral Thrawn's name comes from.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 25, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cease to Hope posted:

no. it's not laborious and skill-intensive enough to justify it, outside of heavy-duty conversion. it's more of an addon to painting services.

Well i think the actual question is how much are people willing to pay for such services.

If I ask someone to paint 50 Guardsmen to a high quality that takes loving ages, even for an experienced painter.

If I can't be arsed to stick 50 guardsmen together and I pay someone else to do it, they can probably do it way faster than painting them. So the real question is what's the £ per hour you get for it.

I've spent the better half of a day sticking together 50 guardsmen together, let's say 4 hours. If you charged £80 to do that (or £16 a box) it's £20 per hour. Not sure how that compares to most commission painting. I always think it's way too expensive for me yo ever be interested in paying someone else anyway.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Until GW is paying me to write for them, I'll codices till the end of my days.

Sorry but their internal inquisitorial team scan all your social media posts and emails and any sign of no adherence to the strict use of codexes as a word will prohibit you from being hired.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To go back to the earlier point I was making about "simplification" by removing stratagems and the idea that you can limit complexity by saying "OK have lots of strats but only bring 6 to the table".

It's now confirmed that the Tyranid codex will have 6 detachments, each of which has 6 stratagems.

If the bar for complexity was always "I feel the need to learn and recall every rule in both my and my opponents armies" it means you have to learn 36 stratagems to understand how a "Tyranid" opponent may play. Yeah sure you only need to recall 6 for that specific game, but if you can't recall them all then it's failed to meet that bar because your opponent can use any set of them.

Unlike before where every single marine army had the same core set of strats that they used and was important (e.g. Transhuman) now the "key" strats to remember may be something like 2 per detachment. So the player playing the army only needs to remember 6, and REALLY remember 2, their opponent needs to remember 12.

Honestly I'm sort of glad I've moved house as 10th has launched. The balance seems depressing and the state of the game as more codexes come out looks to be as frustrating as when Guard waited all of 9th to get a codex and then it was binned months later. On top of that, I don't really buy that the game feels more simplified, admittedly I've not actually played a game yet, but I've watched a fair few and nothing strikes me as simplified. On top of that the daft idea to basically turn points into power level throws up some weird quirks, and I'm not fully convinced they will stick with it and free Wargear for the entire of 10th.

My suspicion is it will be like the start of 9th when they decided everything you bought with points needed to be in increments of 5 and then scrapped it half way through.

That's my grumpy rant over.

I suspect what I may do is play kill team in my own home with my friends as that seems to be working well until 10e has been fixed a bit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

why would you need to memorize? your friend or whatever is gonna bring a specific detachment and all you need to do is know what is he going to field and play accordingly.

I play in a league and tournaments, you don't know what your opponent is going to bring until you're matched, and even then you'll just know "Tyranids".

The argument of playing with your mates is that there was only ever like 6 strats that were used frequently for each army anyway and if all you ever do is play with your mate you'll learn them in time anyway.

The Deleter posted:

I hope they double down on the no costs for wargear. I'm very happy with not having to loving nickle and dime 5 or 10 points on crisis suits over and over to try and hit the magic limit. +20 points for a shield drone get out of here

Alternatively when your lost is 20 points short and there's literally nothing in your army that costs 20 points what do you do?

From a Grey Knight perspective if I end up with a 2K list that is 50 points short, I either by an enhancement I don't need and won't even spend the full amount, or basically re-write the list.

I find that way more frustrating than "Oh I'm X points under/over let's just throw in a random power weapon/trim some stuff off.

moths posted:

That's 100% not what that means, it means you're going to be asking your friend what strats he's got for two or three turns.

It's also entirely possible there's four core army strategems and two detachment-specific add-ons.

Daft argument really, no offence. If you played against my Grey Knights or CSM with then 30+ stratagems in the book you'd have never really needed to learn more than about 8 maximum. Unless your friend completely wrote radically different lists each game in which case they can do the same now and you need to learn 36. On top of that if you're framing it in the context of playing against the same people and they are a friend a) they shouldn't sucker punch you with a strat and b) you wouldn't fall for it twice.

I think the WarCom article said/implied 6 per detachment. It's possible there's core army ones and ones for detachments hut I doubt it.

Mark my words, one of two things will happen:

1) turns out GW balance is still shite and even though each codex gets 6 detachments only 1 or 2 will ever be optimal and you only ever learn the 6/12 for those. It will feel simplified but the detachment system will be a total waste.

2) the detachments are relatively balanced and every single army has about 24 stratagems that will see play depending on the detachment and people who feel its "too complicated" now will say nothings changed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

The Deleter posted:

I didn't read any of this.

Probably for the best, you wouldn't have had anything clever or interesting to say even if you had. Would have been a huge waste of your time!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Douche Phoenix posted:

Simple fix, have the data card pack come with 2 copies of each detachment/stratagem card. One for you, one for your opponent.
Boom, problem solved.

In 9th i owned the deck of cards with all my strats on for every single army and I even sorted through them pre-game so it only consisted of the strats I could possibly use, and then I even arranged them so the top half (or 6 or whatever) was the most important ones that I'm most likely to use. I did all that for me, because I used them as a reference.

I don't think a single opponent ever asked me to have a look at the cards or the strats in my codex. They did often ask to read them as I used them, that's sort of a different topic though.

A few did ask about strats before the game (e.g. Can you advance and charge, do you have transhuman etc). By the half way point of 9th most had an idea of roughly the tricks I could pull with my armies, and it was mostly explaining the specifics (e.g. The teleport the GMDK happens after you target it and you can choose a new target, and it only happens once).

I guess you could sell a pack of cards with the 36 strats duplicated (so 72 cards total) and give the 6 over to your opponent at the start of the game. Depends whether people feel they can read 6 strats for the first time and understand how they are used and how to play around then in the 10 minutes it takes you to say hello and get to deployment.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 28, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

The Deleter posted:

I wouldn't count any of the tedious screeds you post as clever or interesting so don't start patting yourself on the back yet.

Sure, but then again you clearly find counting hard.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

You're essentially saying that you need to memorize like 2 million MtG cards because your opponent is using Red.

The strategems aren't hidden. You can ask to see which six your opponent has before the game. You can look them up on third party sites and print a cheat sheet if you don't want to ask.

It's still very better than it was.

I mean the same argument does apply to my point though right? You don't have to remember every single red card in MTG standard because the reality is there's only a handful of one's you'll actually expect to see in a deck.

The previous world was each codex had about 36 stratagems in it, but in reality you didn't need to learn them all to play your army or even play against someone else, because in truth only about ten had any use for a given army.

I'm not saying the existing system is automatically worse, I'm saying its going to probably be the same (so the goal will have failed) , but has the potential to be worse if all the detachments genuinely see play.

The stratagems weren't hidden in 9th and you could easily just read your opponent's codex/stratagem deck/third party sites etc. While most books had more than 6 subfactions, generally only two or three saw play at most.

My guess is going to be that only one or two detachments will see serious play from each codex, but if they nail internal balance and all see play, it's a lot to remember.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cyouni posted:

So how's that armchair looking for you?

Like seriously, making a rantpost about design when you literally have not touched the game in any way is hilarious.

I played in competitive leagues and tournaments all the way through 9th, I probably played more competitive warhammer than the majority of people who post in this thread. I've played warhammer 40K for about 15 years.

I'm completely OK with the fact that maybe I'm totally wrong, and when I get around to played 10th I'm going to say "you know what, despite all my experience I was totally wrong and 10e balance is great and they really have simplified the game". Maybe that will happen, I'm big enough to be OK with the fact I may be wrong.

All I'm saying is, giving my experience, the data coming out of tournaments, the discussion online and in person, and having read the rules and the announcements, I'm not really bothered by the fact I've missed this initial part of 10th. I don't think I would have enjoyed it, and I don't think I'm going to begin playing competitively regularly again until its shaken out.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm confused, what's the argument here? That it's too hard to be familiar enough with your opponents stratagems to properly anticipate and play against them?

There is a prevailing online opinion that 9th edition was too complicated, because of all the subfactions and the stratagems. The argument was that opponents can pull tricks out of a bag you don't anticipate because there's so many. My view was even though there was a lot of strats, you don't actually need to remember loads because only a few are really regularly used and important.

When it was announced each detachment would have "only" 6 strats to simplify things some people welcomed this as simplification, my argument is that if all 6 detachments see play then to anticipate anything a player can do, you also need to be able to anticipate any of the detachments they may play.

In 9th there were more subfactions than 6 generally, but for now they seem like the detachments are more radically different.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 28, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cease to Hope posted:

nothing. the idea that 20 points makes any difference is an illusion compared to the wild variance in unit value-per-point even in the rare case where 40K is extremely well-balanced

spend the 20 points on space blow

I mean you're right, but I've been in a position where the list is nearly 100 points off and if it wasn't for the fact Agents of the Imperium existed I wouldn't be able to slot anything in. That's nearly a 5% difference in points total.

Now, maybe that's a deliberate design choice that they knew lists would be hard to round out to 2K so have made sure everyone has a cheap unit to throw in there, but to me it is more frustrating writing lists, even if it hypothetically didn't effect game balance (which I'm not sure it doesn't).

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, come on, man. there's a lot to criticize about 10th but please at least preface all of your remarks with stuff like this, or consider whether other people are speaking with the weight of experience you still lack.

I mean I did literally say it in that post because you quoted me, and I also said seperately I'm completely open to the idea that I could be totally wrong. I'm not really sure what else you could expect from me, other than "no 10e game yet? = no opinion allowed".

Bear in mind 10e launched in June and it's now nearly September. You're talking to someone who played the game very regularly until he moved house in the last 3 months.

You're acting like I'm some guy that hasn't picked up a bag of dice in ten years and yet writes essays on how 3rd edition really got it right. I'm not that, I'm someone who is very familiar with the vast majority of how the core rules and mission deck works because really they've not changed a lot from 9th.

The balance for 10e is clearly out of whack, Eldar win rate is mid 60s which is as bad as it ever got in 9th, and what's worse if you use 40K stat check you can see all the A tier armies have a 60%+ win rate when you strip out Eldar. If I was playing in the latest season of my tournament league, I'm sure all three of my armies (GK, AM, CSM) would effectively be beaten at the list building stage as maybe 7 out of ten people I play would actually run one of those meta lists. Maybe I'm wrong and I'd be in that 30-40% that beats those lists but the players I play against are pretty good.

My guess (and we are all guessing because no one has actually played an opponent with 6 different detachments they could bring) is that if all the detachments really do see play, people will feel there's "too much to learn" all over again.

For example, a lot of strats have been replaced by units getting special rules instead. Now maybe that's easier to learn for people because of how it's laid out even though the amount of information is the same. For anyone though who felt there were too many strats though because they didn't know, say, my Paladins had a stratagem so they could change psychic powers mid game, I'm guessing when every faction has 6 detachments with 6 strats each they are going to feel the same way again.

To be clear, I personally never thought 9th was "too complicated" because you didn't actually need to learn everything and anything you didn't learn you can learn at the start of the match. I'm guessing that by the time codexes are fully rolled out, we will hear the same comments from the same group in the hobby, which would mean GW didn't actually change anything.

If you want to dismiss those points because while I've played loads of 40K recently in a very similar rule set, I've not managed to get a game of 10e in during the 3 months since launch... Well I can't really stop you.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i’m generally a fan of simplification but the fundamental problem with 9th was that there was a huge amount of false complexity that was not well communicated to players. Like in reality you could have fit every relevant army rule on a single index card, because there were only about a half dozen stratagems and 1-2 subfactions that ever saw use, but there was nothing marked in the books to distinguish the useless options that existed for fluff purposes from the ones that you were likely to see. You would have to know enough about the faction to write that index card.

The question with 10th is whether we’re going to see that problem repeat on a detachment scale. Like if, say, Crusher is the only viable Tyranid detachment, there will be five detachments and 30 stratagems (and 20 enhancements) that technically exist but are only there to provide false complexity. Players who know the faction well enough will be able to pick the right index card and only have to memorize that, but players who don’t will look at all the rules and say something like “ok, so I have to be prepared for any of your units to shoot indirectly?” only to be told “no, that stratagem is part of the bad detachment nobody takes.” (I am just making up a potential stratagem at random).

The one big difference I see is that GW is going to manufacture a product that you can hand to a less experienced opponent that serves the purpose of that index card. Which is a good change, and one I’m all for! I just don’t think there’s as much of a difference here as people are acting.

I think here you've summarised my point far better than I have.

Until the meta settles down at least I don't think I'll be picking up competitive play while I have so much stuff to do at home, but I don't really think anything is really making me feel like I'm missing out. Honestly doesn't look too different to 9th when it had atrocious balance.

KT on the other hand I've not managed to play any of the new edition but looks mega fun and balanced.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Once thing ive learned in life is that playing with people who are expert competitive level people who cant switch that part of their brain off is one of the most unfun experiences in life and is the reason why i will never touch Yu-Gi-Oh or MTG ever again.

To be fair I don't think anyone I've played in my league seasons I would classify as "expert" but lots of them are serious about learning the rules, getting reps in etc.

Half the players I play against are proactively practicing ahead of going to LGT, they have learnt all their rules, know the key top 5 tricks for each faction etc. The other half are mostly chill guys who just know the meta and the state of the game and know their army pretty well.

I think I've played maybe 1 guy I had to correct on basic game and faction rules, and it was a real chore to try and get through the game. Everyone else was really chill and I would 100% enjoy playing again either casually or competitively.

Some of them absolutely schooled me and it was the best learning experience ever. I only had to get slapped about hard by a CoB fights on death army once to learn my lesson.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Vehicles blew up instantly in 9th because Melta was the best type of gun in the game so it was everywhere and they weren't worth their points unless they had an invuln. Also like every melee weapon worth using carved up tanks too.

Yeah 9th melee was too easily basically just "I can kill blobs of infantry or vehicles because I have 50 attacks, am wounding on 5s but it's -2 AP and you don't have an invulnerable save".

I'd like to give GW credit for achieving a better weapon profile balance, but since they designed the daft balancing in 9th by boosting AP across the board really they are just fixing the mistake in the only way they could: by reversing it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

lemme get this straight: As a new player, if I want to plan and prepare for playing a game, I need to:

(1) Download free point values from GW

(2) Download free core rules from GW

and then

(3) somehow intuit there is something called a mission deck, also it’s been recalled (?), maybe a youtuber or pdf or 3rd party app has them? but literally every game will use them and all strategies and tactics and scoring involve them so good luck!

do I have that right?

Not quite.

Combat patrol missions i think are free online, so if you want to play a 500 point game as a new player you literally just need to buy the box.

If you're a new player wanting to play "full fat" 40K you need:

1) Core rules (free download or buy a book)

2) The army index (free download for now, you can buy physical datacards)

3) The Munitorum field manual with points (free download)

4) The mission deck (buy a physical copy)

The indexes are free for now but you will have to buy them later. The physical datacards have already changed so personally I don't see the value in buying them.

The mission deck, as far as I know, hasn't been amended yet (just clarified).

The index is what contains your units and stratagems and faction rules. The field manual is just the points, and you don't need to download it if you use the 40K app or battlescribe etc.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Man what if they actually announce space hulk in 9 hours

I would laugh when I think about when I bought my copy of Space Hulk all the staff were saying its probably never going to be made again and remember people buying like 4 copies saying it will be worth 8 times as much in the future.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

My prediction is that the 40k section will be all about space marines and their codex. To make up for them now showing up in the last reveal stream because they lost.

This is almost certainly what it is.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The most powerful unit of all will surely be the Primaris Introspectors.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

So rethreading the SM1 plot but with Nids and Thousand Suns instead? :v:

Gotta have that second act twist.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Generally like the models revealed, but is it just me or do the poses on the jump oakc primaris marines convey a sense of horizontal movement rather than vertical?

I don't really get the sense they are moving up or down. They look more like they are flying horizontally forward like 2ft off the ground rather than having descended from up high or in the middle of jumping up high.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

You can probably swap them for the Morathi wings. You know, the other snake-demigod.

GW must have something for special sexy snakes.

They know their customer base well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely wonder if overproducing leviathan paid off for them, it seems like battle report youtube channels and twitch streams are really popular now so maybe.

Thing is while everyone here sees GW as some sort of juggernaut corporation, and relative to other miniature companies they are, in reality they aren't that big.

To put in perspective the company I work for isn't anywhere near as profitable as GW but the revenue is nearly three times GW revenue. We are a retailer that moves much higher volumes of stock. GW's HQ is an office building stapled onto the side of their factory in Nottingham, my company has a large office in one UK location and a smaller head office in London.

Last year I found that about 5% of our stock every year just straight up ends up in the wrong place and no one had even realised. Our team that buys in all our products is complete shite at doing any sort of forecasting, I've not really had a proper look but I don't think they even consider stock in the business when they buy for a new season of stuff.

GW stung themselves with Indomitus not because it sold out, but because they were dumb enough to insist everyone could get a copy if they wanted one. They did this when lots of people were stuck at home looking for hobbies to do. So they either had to disrupt their entire production schedule or look like complete dicks and they chose the former.

I wouldn't put the overproduction of leviathan (if it even has been overproduced? Are people seeing leviathan sets everywhere unsold?) down to a deliberate choice with a lot of data behind it. I'd imagine it's a swinging of the pendulum the other way as a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

The reality is as a company they have way too many SKUs for the production they can do. It's too easy for individual things to go out of stock and them not to have time to run a small batch to restock with peaks in demand because they are still relatively niche. They realise this which is why they are doing the range rotation thing and finally shipping a load of first born stuff into the sunset with legends.

Then they bring out like 6 new units for the Tyranids and marines so it's two steps forward one step back lol

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Geisladisk posted:

The reason for that is fairly obvious - they have a surprisingly small amount of machines (iirc it was like 8?). These machines are cranking out sprues all day every day. Switching them from one sprue to another takes a significant amount of time. The production schedule for these machines is worked out months in advance.

If they do a print on demand thing, they can't plan around it. They don't know how much they'll get in advance. And if it's a snap decision like with Indomitus, it means that the rest of the production schedule gets all hosed up.

It is really hard for them to react to surprising demand peaks. For instance, every Arbites box in existance was probably pressed all in one go like two years ago. There was one machine cranking out Arbites sprues for a couple of weeks, and then those sprues were packed into boxes. Someone had figured that a cute little Kill Team of space cops would sell X amount of units, and they produced those in advance.

Then whoops the 10th ed writers accidentally made Aribtes a super good unit for half the armies in the game and demand skyrockets. But there are still only these X amount of boxes in circulation. And they can't make more without either loving the rest of their schedule up for months (which they won't) or finding time for X more Arbites boxes like, six months down the line.

Yeah this is 100% what is happening.

They are still a niche company so in the grand scheme of things the numbers produced are low enough that you can't balance it out over time. Likewise they weirdly have a product where the demand will be largely the same in every market. The Arbites are good in every country in the world.

You may only have 250,000 customers in market A and 1m in market B, but you send 4 times more to market B. These "spikes" where something is, let's say, five times more popular than anticipated happens world wide all at the same time.

The replenishment will be planned, but if they thought the stock would last 6 months and it lasted 1 month, well there's not much you can do unless you disrupt your entire manufacturing schedule for the sake of one meta unit which may not be meta in 3 months time.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

OctaMurk posted:

I work for a company very similar in size to GW and their production issues are absolutely mindboggling to me. We offer way more SKUs than them, requiring much longer cycle times with peaky demands that can be hard to predict, and yet we are never out of stock for our customers. We do try to maintain high levels of inventory because thats what you have to do for the customer. I think GW is just bad at the production side of things.

We have our own molding floor and invested in an in-house mold shop which is the likely difference. And GW should really do the same -- you bring the profits inhouse and you short the mold lead times from a year to 2-3 months (time is money), plus can be much more responsive. Their sprues are smaller than ours so it can definitely be done.

To be fair don't rule out you may just work for an exceptionally competent company.

Cooked Auto posted:

I await the day when GW turns Nottingham into the UK's first corporate town.

To be fair we sort of already have a bunch of those. My business is sort of based in one.

Sometimes people (both UK and non-UK) forget that you have London with a population of 10m, then we have like 3 cities with a population of around 2m, 3 cities with a 1m population then it starts dropping off real fast.

If you are a big company and you have your office somewhere small, it seems like half the place works for you and everyone knows everyone else.

When o worked for Vodafone if you went to the Newbury campus, home of the original company and the UK base (the group HQ was London) there was a big billboard as the train pulls up saying "Welcome to Newbury, home of Vodafone!" and all the taxi drivers know exactly where to take you and there's a shuttle bus to and from the train station.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/03/sunday-preview-ursula-creed-confronts-the-ghosts-of-cadia/

Speaking of Space Marines, the new series of SM Heroes goes up for pre-order next weeked.

That's about it when it comes to new models since we're between codex releases. v:v:v

Anyone read anything by Jude Reid? I'd love another Cadian book in the vein of Cadian Blood that isn't a pile of garbage or just a book describing warfare with no interesting character work.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

The other big drag for GW is that they operate over 400 retail stores including like 3 in New Zealand that they have to make sure they provide stock of models and paint for. Yeah it serves as advertising and brand outreach but do the kiwis really need that many stores? I dunno but they're still shipping Leviathan boxes around the world to Australia and then onto New Zealand anyways. Then the LGS get the leftovers.

There was an Internet Historian video where he explained there's a town he wants to live in in New Zealand purely on the basis it was this small town and he walked down the town centre and found a warhammer shop and a comic book/nerd/wargaming shop just down the block.

It's clear to me that basically the only three types of people who live in New Zealand are rugby players, the Maori, and nerds. There may be some overlap between some or all of those groups.

Also as someone who works for a retailer I can tell you the no. 1 concern for whether or not your store should be there is "how much is the rent and taxes?". Maybe MZ has really low retail rent/taxes. Here in the UK both are pretty high hence GW closing stores (like most retailers).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

The oft forgotten Oceania country, Mew Zealand

I can tell you how to get there because my uncle works at Nintendo but it's a pretty long and complicated process.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

Building 1k grey knights that I’ve meant to for a decade now. Using dreadnoughts and terminators, because a “death wing” style army always seemed Cool.

Just read the rules for an IK Armiger and compared it to a GK venerable dreadnought and uh, wow. Way more wounds, toughness, invuln, movement, OC, and… cheaper(!?!).

I knew balance was all over the place, but unless I’m missing something, that’s just bonkers. Especially since I could just take the armiger instead? (I will not, dreads look too cool).

The dreadnought benefits from Grey Knight stratagems and faction rules and the armiger doesn't.

It doesn't have Teleport Assault or whatever so you can't redeploy it for free, but it is a PSYKER unit meaning it can use mists of Deimos to move when the enemy gets near. It's also worth noting the Dreadnought is literally the only source of re-roll 1s in the GK army and it let's all infantry RR1s to hit and wound.

The real question is even if you take an Armiger, what's it going to do for you?

The Autocannon is OK but at -1AP it unlikely to punch through tough targets which is the main reason to take the dreadnought (the lascannon and multi melta).

145 points gets you another strike squad, and nearly gets you some interceptors. GK is in a bad place right now and you only stand a chance by ignoring killing stuff and trying to grab objectives. Both are probably more useful right now than the 4 Autocannon shots the armiger gives you.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

I want to run a crusade after a couple 1000 point games, what advice do you guys have if you've done it before?

I think I'll wait until the space marine codex is out so now both tyranids and marines have their options.

That crusade is actually a lot of paperwork for units so just be prepared for that. If your group isn't into doing paperwork after every battle they won't actually enjoy crusade.

Also, because every unit has its own permenant record file that follows it around, it can be a lot to remember. If your units down have some sort of marking to distinguish them and there's two of the same unit this can be really hard. If I have two infantry squads and one has ability A and the other has ability B they need to be identifiable in some way. This can just be by equipment, e.g. I had a 5 man CSM squad with a plasma gun and a 5 man squad with chainswords. It needs to be clear somehow though.

The other thing is that if you randomly roll for abilities you can get loving dumb abilities when you level up. I rolled and my Possessed (who don't have guns) got something that improved their shooting. On the other hand if you let people pick, you run the risk of min maxing. My friends did a "roll on the table and if you get something that both players agree doesn't work, roll again". You could do a "roll 2d6 and pick one" with the same rule to get a little between total random and min maxing units.

Finally it's a narrative campaign format so you need to be ready to tweak all the rules on the fly. My Word Bearers never won a single Crusade game (i played like 8 games) and just got battered. This isn't fun for anyone so we were talking about giving me some additional points of Daemons to summon in to balance the sides a bit. The players need to be working together to make the games interesting, so they need to all understand if you treat it competitively and create abominations of units using crusade rules, you'll be told those units need their abilities changed. Players who take the piss will be out.

I did create a basic hive city map and rules for conquering territories etc that I shared a while back in this thread, but I ended up using more basic points systems GW provided in their campaign books. It was 1 war point per game that you won, you played each other twice (it was a small group) and the side with the most points at the end of the round won.

Which leads to the final point, you need a game master who is willing to basically write the campaign and explain what is happening based on the results. People want to hear that their battles are deciding the fate of the planet/system/whatever and taking photos and writing in universe updates and stuff really gets people engaged. It's also the clear you enforce any of the other stuff I mentioned.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

hey man thanks for the long explainer, I guess the people I'm working with are definitely not up for that sort of paperwork, so I'll just do it as stringed missions with special rules per mission based on the codex, the experience points and leveling up thing I think I could do without.

Probably wise.

My suggestion would be to use a sort of flow diagram that shows what happens if which side wins. That way all the players have a sense of sort of "commitment" and stakes.

Here's a couple i made, one is "fluffy" and the other is a bit mechanical

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
My Grey Knight list has just dropped in cost by 300 points lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated.

Their attitude is this:

1) You should be a warhammer+ subscriber and get all the rules updated and points values and build the list in the app. It's the most convenient thing to do.

2) Don't worry if you don't subscribe though, you can use the code in the back of your codex to access the latest version of your codex on the app.

3) Listen if you're not downloading our app you're frankly just being awkward. If you insist on being awkward though we will still help you. You have free balance data slate, FAQ, errata, and points documents to download and use with your codex. I know that sounds like a lot, but that's because you refuse to use our app!