Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I have a feeling like Naploeonic British infantry battalions were a larger influence, but I never got a chance to ask Rick Priestley if that was the case after I had that realization.

Around a thousand men, organized into ten companies, with eight being infantry and two being some combination of Grenadiers/Rifles... huh, that sounds familiar...

Eej posted:

do Space Marine tankers count towards the 1,000 limit? I feel like I asked this before but now I'm wondering again. Decades of training and precious geneseed to produce a guy who drives a tank around.
I figured that would be done by serfs or Marines that were combat-wounded and recovering, sort of like what the Centurions(?) were manned with. Though there enough other things like Land Speeder crew that are described as being more specialized than some rando that is just told to rideshare some other assholes around, it all kinda breaks down. There are dudes like Sergeant Chronos that apparently really got into driving poo poo around, so maybe those decades of training to drive a tank are worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Randalor posted:

Wait, isn't that how the Sisters got their initial Rhinos (and Immolators, and...)?

Probably not. Rhinos (and Land Raiders) are STC systems. Guard originally had both of them (totally not at all because those were the only plastic vehicles available...).

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Does anyone have a spare metal Big Choppa for the old Ork Warbosses I could toss a few bucks for?

This one?

http://www.solegends.com/citcat2004us/c2004usp0227-00.jpg

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Alrighty then, I'll send you a PM.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

I remember that I bought some Italian metal Fishmen that are reproductions of some weird aliens from the RT days. For some reason I really wanted them

Professor Shark is into Pisceans? Really? I'm shocked.

(LOL, I think I have those figs too and I spent way too much on Stephen May's Piscean Kickstarter)

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I wouldn't use any kind of cotton swab or paper towel to mop poo poo up, you are going to get fibers at some point. You'd be better off with an Xacto blade or sculpting tool or even the embroidery needle I 'borrowed' from my mom like 30 years ago now. A metal tool isn't going to leave fibers and when that gets gunked up THEN you can use the paper towel to wipe that off. For really tiny poo poo like some Kingdom Death or Mechanicus parts, I'll use a metal bottle cap as a glue palette and use the embroidery needle to dab a tiny dot of glue where it needs to go.

Odds are that the plastic glue is going to have a decent amount of setting time, so I wouldn't be too worried about needing to rush getting stuff together. In fact I was putting some Chaos Warriors together last night and I would let the first part 'cook' for a little bit to soften the surface up before mating it. That gave it a little extra 'juice' that squeezed out of the seam and after cleaning those up this morning, you can't even see where the seams were.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

a fatguy baldspot posted:

You melt sprue lines?? How tf does that work without getting the stuff everywhere?

Very carefully. It is definitely something that takes practice. A brush helps, like a natural fiber #0 or so that is cashed out for painting, but that is going to ruin it eventually.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Super Waffle posted:

I wish they'd do a Heroes set for a different legion, they've had like 3 different plague marine sets

That is what happens when one of the sculpting leads is a turbo Nurgle herb.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ashcans posted:

I have to say, 'illegally trafficking thousands of historical artifacts from a warzone for your bible museum' was not on my 'lovely retail store' bingo card, one of the more bizarre plot twists.

Thousands of COUNTERFEIT historical artifacts.

When even ISIS clowns on you, just hang it up.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Standing desk because my posture is loving awful.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Redemptor Priest. That is the Fanatic set from like 2005ish, so a bit more rare than the Outlanders release was.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I wish those were IV... unfortunately they are VI

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BadLlama posted:

Counter-Point - The punisher goes brrrrrrrrrrr

20 shots, 11 hits, 8 wounds, no Critical Wounds... and you saved 7... coolcoolcool... - average Punisher Cannon interaction

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

No Luck Needed posted:

Like there isn’t a Chaos trade network of Chaos worlds. A world goes over to Chaos, gets warped, and creates demons.

Oh man, wait until you find out about the Blood Pact and Sons of Sek!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

Cross posting from painting thread

Still looking for thoughts/reassurance on painting the horse, plus general basing ideas. I've got a lot of open base to work with. I prefer really minimalist basing, but I don't want it to look unfinished. If I can find a vostroyan casualty for a reasonable price I might put that in.

Depending on what the rest of the your army is like, something like a laquered red armor could be cool. Also, doing some litanies or a devotional painting in that forward diamond section could be cool. Or like an illuminated manuscript version of the army number/icon or whatever.

As far as the basing goes, having some randos marching along would sell the idea of a renaissance painting. They could also break the horse's armor up visually as well; having someone stand by the back half of the horse would make the giant expanse of brass less overwhelming if you were still worried about that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Shoehead posted:

I'm painting more Kin atm and now I'm suddenly wondering if we are going by Dwarf rules for the Leagues of Votann, like is this a beard=male bare chin=female situation? Are they secretly (to my idiot eyes) one of the more (most) diverse forces in 40k?

They also have Ironkin in units, so that puts them above Tau and Eldar in diversity. Dark Eldar are kinda close as the Court of the Archon had multiple xenos in one unit, but it was only one unit.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Shoehead posted:

Ohhh what's this purple stuff?

Castrol Super Clean, unless there is a newer ‘purple stuff’ I don’t know about.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

A Chimera specifically allows one officer embarked to issue orders.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

gently caress, I forgot that transports shut down secondary effects, though if they didn't, then why would it need 'Mobile Command Vehicle'?

Guess I should be glad that I remembered that Chimeras don't shut down Orders.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

What's a good unit of dudes to kit-bash into diggers and use as boyz?

I need raggedy rear end humans.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy8Q8zqtEnu/?img_index=1

Random Khorne dudes (Jakhals would be pretty good), Poxwalkers, Warcry Untamed Beasts, they are all good. For Boyz, probably more on the Jakhals and Bloodreavers side of things.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Not if you say they are hereteks first. :smugissar:

One easy trick the High Lords of Terra hate!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

What, the Store Anniversary Ethereal? LOL, yeah, those have totally been a scam to get you in the door to order them. I think the only places I would expect to have any appreciable amount on hand are HamWorld and the cafes in Texas and Tokyo.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think its Solar as in Macharius and not System.

No, it is the solar system. After all the Thunder Warriors got killed for winning the Unification Warz, the next big pushes were for the gene-labs on Luna (where the Luna Wolves earned their name) and the planets past Mars (Mechanicum had Mars established already), so the Saturnine Rams actually did fight on Saturn's moons and stations before they established the Solar Auxilia.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Tarquinn posted:

Just took a picture of my Eldar Tempest from that time.

Wonder if it's worth anything today.

With a box in okay condition, probably $200ish.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

Back when they unveiled the current Land Raider they had an article about the whole design and production process of it. Going by Index Astartes Apocrypha it was WD 245 from 2000.

Who knew the Land Raider was old enough to drink now.

Anyone who waited like five years for it to finally be released or anyone that has built one in the last few years.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

:actually: ...that fig is a sorceror, not a lord.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Assessor of Maat posted:

:wrong:

there wasn't actually a generic terminator sorcerer model of any sort until the plastic kit; prior to that it was just something you'd convert as you saw fit (and judging from the relevant era of golden demon entries, you'd probably go for abbadon as the base material)

gently caress.

I just saw that blister like last week and I could have sworn it was labeled on the card as 'sorceror'.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

It's cool how you can clearly tell that games-workshop learned from the Krieg kill team kit by making improvements to the Kasrkin and Cadian designs by adding stuff like indents into arms and lasguns that go across the models chest and make them fit cleanly.

That is Necromunda tech. Don't know why they wouldn't do that for possibly the most-anticipated sprue for Imperial Guard ever, but fucka engineering I guess.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

A lot of plastic designs are planned like 3 years in advance so even if they learned lessons immediately on release it would take years for the improved practice to filter back through the design pipeline.

Cool. Copyright on the Eschers which have boolean cuts on their two-hand rifle poses is 2017, Krieg was 2021

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

Anybody got a tip for a good source for some Egyptian-style birdmen to go with Thousand Sons? I don't care for the jagged, wild demon look of a Tzaangor but I need a handful of birdbeastmen things for Warpcoven Kill Team. They can be golems or undead or something if that works.

Not-Workshop but Crocodile Games has a few birdmans factions in the Wargods of Aegyptus line. There are good hawk and stork-dudes, then there are evil vulture-guys. Chris Fitzpatrick sculpted for Citadel for a while so they don't quite match the modern aesthetic but they have a Middlehammer look that shouldn't look too wildly out of place.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Triple-Kan posted:

The first thing that caught my eye is that the top two, maybe three rows is all actors from the 60's Batman TV show. Also I'm seeing Christopher Reeves and Richard Basehart. Are those the original names?

Original names and you are probably right. They have straight up said that they named figs off of all kinds of pop culture. Like there are Imperial Army dudes named after the members of Rush. I'm guessing Cap'n Crabb is supposed to be Buster Crabbe.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Any tips for tournament play with tyranids? I have a sneaking suspicion im gonna get blown away since i have very little built experience with people who play often.

Git gud with how long you take for a turn. If you can get most of the poo poo you wanna do in ~15 minutes you are on the right track. 1000 points shouldn't be too bad, but time gets eaten up fast if you are trying to snake units around a lot of fiddly terrain or have a bunch of rules/strategems/whatever that you need to look up.

A crib sheet with the rules/strategems/whatever isn't a bad idea and having page tabs to the specific pages would be good.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The Demilich posted:

Does anyone know what a Custodes armor thrall looks like? I can't find any pics

Probably like Helbrecht and Grimaldus' l'il buddies. Might be less servitor-ized. Or more. It likely depends on how much the particular Custode likes their thralls.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Hmm, I appreciate the advice but I feel pretty sure I’d mangle them trying to drill holes in from the side. It’d be nice to mitigate the ease with which limbs pop off these kinds of models so I’ll keep that in mind for the future though

If you don't want to drill and pin those kinds of joints, you can rough 'em up a bit with like a bunch of cross-hatches with an Xacto blade and that will help things 'grip' with the extra surface area.

I'd still recommend drilling and pinning if you can.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nessus posted:

tbf looking at the price differentials between US and UK makes me wonder if there is hams smuggling, but I suspect the wholesale price of the kits is probably a lot nearer to what it is in the UK.

I feel like there was more in the late 90s-early 2000s between third edition popping off and RTTs being crazy-popular, White Dwarf being the only way a large portion of the audience found out about poo poo (LOL, what is a listserve? Also #RIP Portent), and UK releases being a month ahead.

I can't remember what it was called, but there was a shop in Scotland(?) that I bought a buuuuuuunch of poo poo from just to have a month head start on painting. I distinctly remember buying a shitload of the (at the time) new Chaos poo poo like the 40k Daemon Prince and a Defiler (wow!).

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Gearhead posted:

What I can't figure out is how you make an army out of these things, unless you use their presence to turn an army into an Enslaver army with extra mechanics. Tying them to the CSM is like trying to use the Flood as Pokemon.

Please be a new Court of the Archon.

'gently caress you-Enslaver bomb!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

There is another hive filled with Orks, one with plague zombies, and yet another that has a democracy.