Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

In other news, the Arvus Lighter returns in plastic format.

It's still in resin.

However I'd guess that this being 'retooled' at full size means it's been worked on with an updated Epic-scale version in mind... which should now be in plastic. Currently it's the only confirmed Solar Auxillia transport in that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Rumours in the warp say that the Tyranid codex preorder is coming Sept 2nd:

Biovore 30 GBP
Lictor 30 GBP
Neurolictor 25 GBP
Norn Emissary 70 GBP
Stealers 32.50 GBP
Horms 30 GBP

Prepare your wallets for consumption

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought one extra screamer-killer which, when added to the levithan boxed set, seems to make about a thousand points. I know absolutely nothing about Tyranids and haven't assembled anything yet, but I want to keep it on hand as a spare army for friends.

Anyway, what's the best single box/unit I could buy to diversify what I have? Still keeping it at a thousand points, but just giving the list more choices or more balanced. I feel like it currently lacks any anti-tank? Maybe a Biovore?

If you can I'd advise waiting a bit before buying anything else, as the codex and new points values may well change a lot about how individual units play. We should have more solid rules details in around 2-3 weeks time.

However under current rules & points, Zoanthropes are the #1 pick for Tyranid lists. They act as a solid synapse unit to help coordinate your army while also putting out very respectable anti-armour firepower. Screen them with 6++ neurogaunts to protect them from charges while also extending synapse coverage. The Haruspex is also currently very cheap compared to the damage it can do.

For other anti-tank, the new Norn Assimilator unit is likely to be effective at breaking heavy armour given the description we've heard for it so far. Biovores are more of a board control unit with limited damage output. Their rules are likely to change to some degree with a new, much larger, model on the way.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know they explicitly want to make vehicles tougher and more desirable to play, which is why meltas didn't get a proportional S increase to keep up, but it seems like several armies like Sisters and Death Guard and so on really struggle with them. Would bumping meltas up to S10 or 12 to keep on par with lascannons really make vehicles so much worse?

Many of the dedicated melta units do get access to wound rerolls to help with this. Sometimes it's built-in (Eradicators & Retributors) and other times it's linked to the transport they'll likely be in (Fire Dragons & Retributors).

It sucks for all of the other melta weapons without that crutch, though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

rantmo posted:

I think the points are going to be quarterly and then the larger balancing is every six months but I also might be making that up. Codices are starting soon with Tyranids and Space Marines in "Autumn", rumored to be late next month for the bugs, if I remember right.

Yeah that's right. They said the next points/balance update is mid-September, so probably around 3-4 weeks away.

Rumour is that the Tyranid codex will be September, with Space Marines in October.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Eej posted:

The codex will contain multiple detachments for more army building options than just the Index detachment. So there'll probably be one that gives bonuses for Lots Of Little Bugs and another that incentivizes All Monsters and so forth.

Here's the detachment themes list hot off the leak presses:

Invasion Fleet (same as index)
Crusher
Vanguard - gives advance and charge for stealthy/flying units and fall back and charge for everyone
Synapse
Regen
Swarm

In other news the new Norn Emmisary can pick between two abilities at the start of the game. Either it gets OC15 and a 5+++ on a chosen objective, or rerolls hits & wounds into a single target.

Cease to Hope posted:

also the plural of codex is codices
If you're speaking Latin then sure. Do you also apply the correct grammar for every other language when using their loanwords in English?

This whole schtick of "but you have to say Carnifices not Carnifexes!" just comes off as peak Reddit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

If I had to guess? A Swarm detachment is about swarms of small bugs that respawn when their units are killed. A regen detachment is about tyranids stealing resurrection protocols instead, so you can have regenerating larger bugs.

For regen I'm expecting something related to feeder-beasts like Haruspex, Mawlocs, and rippers eating enemy units to regain biomass. Hopefully they do more to distinguish it from the crusher detachment as another version of monster mash.

Devorum posted:

This just drives home, to me, how much the "one detachment until codex" system sucks.

Imagine still having a single detachment in 2025 while 60% of the factions have 5+ to choose from.

It's something I definitely prefer to how faction updates were managed in 8th/9th. The gap will be far less providing unit datasheets remain largely similar to the indexes.

Most of the time new detachments will just open up new ways to use other units in your roster. For example my predominantly shooty Bad Moon ork collection tends to be wasted with the default melee-focused index rules, but would get new potential with better ranged weapon bonuses. That wouldn't make existing Ork lists any stronger, it just gives more choice.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

If printing and shipping issues are the reason why the codices have staggered releases, I wish GW would rocket into the 21st century and just not tie rules to physical things

It's not just the printed books themselves, there's a whole marketing & logistics chain tied into those staggered releases:

New rules cause a spike in demand for old models too, so they have to stock not just new stuff but also older kits.
Older models may get released in new packaging, or sold in a different way.
Pushing one faction at a time can encourage players to start a new army.
Often there are new themed boxed sets / Combat Patrol sets planned to help with that.
Coordinated tie-in products get released at the same time, like dice or Black Library books

Eej posted:

This is very important to note! It's not 36 different strategems it's 6 packages of strats. Strats being thematically and mechanically linked to the theme of the detachment while mostly being exclusive together (you can probably assume there'll be "generic" strats that cross over to other detachments like Armour of Contempt, which actually makes burden of knowledge even less) makes them significantly easier to remember than if it was say, pick 6 of the 36.

Yeah as the new detachments get revealed there's going to be a lot of really obvious interactions that are more intuitive than anything in 9th. Like right now the Tyranid invasion fleet gives an armywide adaptation for the full game, plus a strat to pick a different adaptation for specific units each turn.

Once you learn that a Tyranid Synapse detachment gives out once-per-game bonuses in synapse range, it won't be surprising if the related stratagems then increase synapse range or allow those bonuses to happen more than once.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My bigger beef with 10th, having played it, is that it’s almost as bad as balance has ever been in the modern history of the game, to the point where you need to either happen to have friends with armies in the same bracket as you or extensive houseruling just to make it functional. My local area had two AOS players who decided to make the jump to 40K with tenth. One liked Death Guard and one liked Leagues of Votann. They each played about 3-4 games (after their initial learning games) and then went back to AOS and haven’t mentioned 40K since.

The issue with 10th is that the current state of the game is essentially still a beta test. It should have received a lot more attention (public or private) prior to full public release, but clearly GW were too worried about leaks to do that.

However the underlying rules structure is a much better foundation to build & iterate on than 8th & especially 9th. I think by Spring/Summer the balance picture will look better than either of those editions ever did, and see much smaller swings as further new codexes get released.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Sephyr posted:

I have not played 10th yet, due to being 3000 miles away from my models, but I am a bit concerned that the edition that supposedly was set to cut down on the orgy of re-rolls has tripled down on them. The basic Space Marine rule is "Hey, pick your target, reroll everything", and it's not that different across the factions.
From what I've seen, rerolls are common but far more narrowly applied. You have rules like "reroll against this one specific unit" or "reroll when jumping out of a transport that also shoots the same target". That's quite different from the previous situation where <100pt character models gave out reroll auras to friendly units nearby.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is pretty wildly optimistic. By mid summer 2024 we’ll have, at best, 8-10 codices, several of which may (will) be Space Marine chapters. Half of the game will still be on index rules.

That expectation is because under 8th or 9th edition a new codex would add seventeen additional layers of overlapping rules, which took several months to unpick via balance updates. The worst offenders could often weather multiple rounds of nerfs, such as Tyranids requiring around a year to bring in line because it wasn't clear what corrections could be made without causing collateral damage.

This weekend will confirm but I'm expecting that datasheets in at least the initial 10e codexes won't stray too far from baseline index versions. Therefore factions won't leap forwards nearly as suddenly as the last few years.

Coldbird posted:

I think GW misunderstood the problem vehicles and monsters had in the first place. They seem to have had an idea that nobody brought armor spam in 9th because they died easy, but both assumptions there were wrong. Lots of people brought them, even at the competitive level - and they were decently survivable but not unkillable, unless the other guy skewed hard into anti-tank.

I don’t think it was so much an overcorrection as it was fixing a “problem” that never existed. Vehicles and monsters saw plenty of use in 9th when they were good, and not a whole lot less or more than any other unit type.

The real problem with vehicles was then - and still is - that they can’t magically walk through walls like infantry can. It fundamentally changes the functionality of the unit, and especially how keeping them alive works vs. how it works for vehicles.

Very much disagree with this assessment. 8th > 9th had an arms race mentality that saw AP, rerolls, modifiers and mortal wound abilities proliferate on all kinds of units. The inevitable endpoint was that certain lucky units could kill any target in the game with enough coordinated buffs, regardless of their original purpose or role. Skitarii or Kasrkin taking down Knights in a single turn might be hilarious, but doesn't make for a very intuitive or fun game.

So then of course an inverse defensive arms race started in parallel:
AP was so prevalent that only vehicles & monsters with an invuln save were worth taking
One shot weapons like railguns were too swingy and unreliable into invuln saves, so those had to be ignored completely
Wound rerolls and +1 modifiers were so readily available that transhuman became a common defensive ability

Most of the vehicle & monsters that saw regular use (especially towards the end of the edition) were units with at least some of these benefits. Any others were left as trap choices for new players.

This all might well make sense to experienced competitive players who keep up with the meta, but actually sucked for anyone learning 40k or walking into a casual game. That player might rightly assume that bringing a couple of big anti-monster guns would be useful, not knowing that Belakor can actually only be killed on the second Thursday of each month, or that their cool +1 to wound stratagem does absolutely nothing into bone-coloured terminators (but only that colour!). It was all just exceptions piled on top of exceptions piled on gotchas.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

rantmo posted:

A chaplain in terminator armor would make me very, very happy.

Good news! that's rumoured to be happening along with jump pack marines and some kind of new command squad

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

smug jeebus posted:

I wouldn't call anything GW makes 'general audience'

Some may even call it 'otiose'

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

This review is glowing and positive, i just put in my pre-order, super looking forward to it! Couldnt catch the special edition in time but its all good.

While I expect the vanguard and swarm detachments will be the new competitive hotness, I'm mostly looking forward to running the hungry hungry haruspex list with a bunch of munchy bugs. Finally a neat use for all those ripper bases I painted in 8th edition!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
After the Leviathan launch happened, GW released a bunch of extra stock to 3rd party retailers. That's probably from customers ordering a copy direct with GW as insurance, then cancelling the order once they secured a discounted one elsewhere.

Something I noticed (at least in the UK) is that many of the retailers like Wayland and Dark Sphere have now sold through all of their extra copies. The exceptions I found are Element Games (who still list 10+ copies of Leviathan at full price rather than their usual 15-20% discount), and my local hobby store who never updates their website has around 4-5 boxes left on shelves.

I'm sure there's still plenty of Leviathan stock around but it's mostly going to be in smaller shops with less online presence.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Virtual Russian posted:

When you say they in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility are you talking about their entire citadel paints line? I wouldn't think the machinery alone would fit into that space. The company I'm with now is tiny and has many times that much space. We are a ~$1m a year in sales manufacturer and have about 5k sqft.

I'd guess maybe it was 10,000?

They don't produce the paint in-house. GW make the paint pots themselves using injection molds, then fill them using paint bought in bulk containers from an external supplier.

This video explains the setup
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-63A7cDkOm8

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
WarCom front page has a note up saying the balance update & points will be available this Thursday.

You probably don't need to observe the strands of fate to know what's coming, but we can still speculate on the most surprising changes. Will they increase points on Screamer-Killers for no reason, or will Death Guard get an unexpected nerf? Place your bets now!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
For anyone still mulling over which new Tyranids to buy, I found a really useful review that explains how flexible the new kits are for things like customisation & magnetisation, and what spare parts you get at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nw7n4syLIM

I'm stoked to find that that swapping between Biovore & Pyrovore is really easy, which takes a little bit of sting out of paying around £1 per point for the new model. The new Lictor also seems like a fantastic kit design too. I've managed to find a very cheap Tyrand Prime body and plan to try converting a second lictor from the spare parts.

For now I've ordered one each of the new kits that I don't mind owning multiples of (1 Norn, 1 Vore, 1 Lictor), as I'm sure many will show up in discounted boxes over the coming months & years. In particular the Norn is rumoured to be part of the next Xmas Tyranid battleforce. For the same reason I'm avoiding Deathleaper & Neurolictor, as without conversion those kits can only be built one way and I probably will never want to own more than one.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Man just gotta keep kicking 'nids in the balls huh?

Nids made out positively overall when you factor in core rules changes and (often heavy) nerfs to other factions. Custodes and IK in particular were tough to deal with and both got solidly reigned in.

The Swarm and Vanguard detachments saw point cuts to their most common units. Our options for scoring improved with 60-70pt Lictor variants and 20pt MSU Rippers.

Exocrine points didn't change btw.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NofrikinfuN posted:

AdMech getting caught in the crossfire here. Omni-sterilizer on a Manipulus or Dominus seems to be the only thing AdMech have that is considered powerful aside from Breachers and this change should reduce their ability to mow down infantry considerably, right?

This change mainly affects weapons like wraithcannons that do crazy damage with a single shot. If that Admech weapon profile has a bunch of low damage attacks then it won't make much difference. They basically work just like before; as multiple attacks that can be allocated across several models.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Removing the index makes sense, given that those rules are now obsolete.

However I expected that we'd still be able to see at least a partial datasheet reference for codex units. In 9th you still saw the statline & keywords without owning the codex. Also doesn't the AOS app let you see full warscrolls for units, and only hides the faction-specific rules?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I've just seen the new Tyranid video and really want to know how this dude wasn't picked as the new codex cover.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated. Right now, looking at the Warhammer Community website the official rules link still has the outdated description for some things, and has not been updated in some time. So it would seem if you want the complete and accurate set of rules you need the rulebook and the balance data slate, and if you have index cards you need the index card pdf as well. I am curious as to their intentions with the available Tyranid index on the WH Community site. If they leave it up will it be updated to reflect the changes in the codex? It seems like things could get really confusing really fast with the different documents floating around.

The app was fully updated on Thursday and it seems GW want that to be the go-to option, which makes sense. If you look up a rule all of the changes have been integrated with no obvious sign anything has changed.

I expect that at some point they will issue revised versions of core rules & index PDFs, like how they updated the indexes in July. That probably won't happen for every balance update though as it likely involves a lot of work getting things formatted & translated.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

You should be a warhammer+ subscriber and get all the rules updated and points values and build the list in the app. It's the most convenient thing to do.

Says a lot about GW's attempt to roll out this digital stuff when almost no one fully understands which parts are free and which are paid for.

• The only (legal) way to see datasheets & rules for a faction with a codex is to have the code from the back page. Without the code you can just see the unit names & points values.
  • If you download the app you can access the core rules, indexes, and can save a single list in the army builder for free.
  • That single list can be for any faction, even if they have a codex and you didn't register the code.
  • A WH+ subscription gives you the ability to save more than one list in the army builder. That's literally all it does. A subscription does not give you access to codex rules.

tl;dr in order to get the most from future digital content they want you to pay for redundant paper copies. Yes it is daft.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
No new Tyranids for me

They didn't recieve enough Biovores from GW so Element Games held back the whole order. Curse you James Workshop :argh:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would expect them to be pretty easy to find for a while but they also aren't going to get any cheaper :shrug:

Third party retailers with excess Leviathan stock may well include it in their next black Friday sale to free up shelf space. I saw a few places do that with Dominion and last year's HH products.

From next year it will start to get rarer and more expensive tho.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

World Eaters really need a second thing that they do other than run at the enemy as fast as they can.

My world eaters already do two things:
  • Run at the enemy as fast as they can
  • Run at the next enemy as fast as they can
What else do they need?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

World Eaters once upon a time had a dedicated long range unit called the Teeth of Khorne.

I want to see Teeth of Khorne toting massive plasma cannons like this, but with comically oversized chainsaw bayonets. Obviously they'll be assault weapons that you'd always have to fire overcharged. Anyone that survives charges in swinging a weapon the size of a small car. It would be the most ridiculous 40k poo poo ever and I'm here for it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

Dakka that is choppy?!

Kunnin AND brutal

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

Honestly I skip contrasts because I still haven't figured out smooth and decent coverage without it looking splotchy.
Use them more as glazes or recess shades sometimes.

It depends on the specific colour, but a gamechanger for me was just mixing a lot of my usual colours 50/50 with contrast medium, then carefully applying a second coat in the recesses as needed for larger models.

Agrax earthshade with contrast medium also applies much more consistently too

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ristolaz posted:

I dont play 40k, but I was interested that this edition was supposed to be less lethal. Did that actually pan out?

Generally yes, with a couple of caveats:

The rock / scissors / paper effect is a lot more pronounced in 10th, by design. Unit and weapon profiles have been split into more distinct types, so that dedicated anti-armour is effective into vehicles & monsters but less-so into elites, and vice-versa. Cover and armour saves are much easier to get for most units. A proper specialist anti-infantry profile like warp spider weapons can be just as lethal as before, but more common anti-infantry profiles like boltguns & lasguns will be less lethal compared to 9th.

A big difference from 9th is that you don't really get many weapons that are still effective into every target type. At launch there were a few exceptions to this (like Deathwatch and Wraithknights) but they have largely been addressed with balance updates. Writing a well balanced list requires a better mix of units for different situations than just spamming plasma guns that used to kill anything.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Got to test drive a Norn Emissary last night alongside an assimilation swarm list

Sadly I didn't win, but the game was a solid learning experience. In particular I found out that DG are pretty scary, and not to underestimate their many anti-infantry weapons when I'm running an infantry-heavy list that relies on units not getting wiped out to regenerate! I definitely have a better idea how to play into them next time.

The norn and zoanthropes did great; holding the centre objective and being really tought to shift while also fighting through some terrible shooting phase rolls to still kill Morty.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

I imagine the Zoanthropes did a fair bit of the damage, they're pretty potent from everything I've seen.

Yeah the Norn chipped away at him in combat for a few turns while doing well to tank the return damage. When it finally went down Morty was at 8 wounds, and the six Zoanthropes were able to finish him off.

I also pulled off an unprecedented 40k miracle by command rerolling damage 2+1 into damage 6+1

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
In case anyone plans to buy up a load of the new space marines on release...

quote:

Xmas boxset rumours:

Fast attack Spacemarines
jump captain
15 jump assault
outriders
ATV

Votann
hearthguard
Saggitaur buggy
land fortress
Grimnir

Orks
kill rig
20 beast snaggers
squig riders
squig rider HQ

Tyranids
Norn Emissary
Hive Tyrant
20 Hormagaunts
genestealers

World eaters
Angron
berserkers (might be 2)
2x eight bound (might be 1)

Astra millitarum
20 cadian shock troopers
1 command squad
2 rogal dorn battle tanks

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Devorum posted:

I'd honestly rather see them break out into separate datasheets like AoS, but I think there's too many options for some units to make that feasible. They did it with the Leman Russ, and it's an effective way to point cost weapons without being granular.

Yeah true this wouldn't help for many of the classic 40k units that were designed with very flexible build options. The Ork battlewagon we previously split into three datasheets during 9th, and still had a whole bunch of extra add-on weapons that cost points.

Plus extra datasheets is a bit of a double-edged sword when they directly affect people's collections via the rule of three. GW are constantly changing those limits; for example in 9th we had three Carnifex datasheets that all allowed units of up to three each. Now under 10th I can only field half of my dozen carnifexes because there's one datasheet with a unit size of 1-2. It wouldn't be great if we were temporarily allowed to field up to 9 Tyrannofexes via 3 datasheets, then suddenly the next edition the limit is suddenly back down to 3 models again.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Roller Coast Guard posted:

It also very much undermines the Your Dudes aspect of army construction if every model has to be assembled in one specific way. You end up designing your own unique marine chapter with its own colour scheme and symbols and backstory, and then when you put your squad down on the table it has the exact same combination of dudes in the exact same combination of poses as every other marine squad in the world.

Eh at least marines allow arms to be swapped around / tilted. Between that and the head you can avoid duplicate poses quite easily. With squad numbers being part of the 'uniform' for marines it's also a bit easier to keep similar poses in separate units on the tabletop.

My gripe with other kits (like Berzerkers) is that it often is possible to switch things up, but the instructions only tell you one specific way is possible. That's because some of the arms will catch on details like chains hanging off the body, and not quite fit. It took a bit of trial and error to determine which combinations worked before gluing anything, but would have been easier if the instructions said that Body A can be used with arms A/B/C/E. The only official personalisation is head & shoulder pads (which are largely similar anyway).

However I definitely don't plan to get anymore Jakhals, as aside from a couple of special weapon swaps those are pretty much entirely fixed poses.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

That terminator kit seems specifically designed to work with future upgrade sprues - such as Deathwing or Wolf Guard - rather than creating full new terminator kits each time. Will be interesting to see what happens when the DA update arrives.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there any online, up to date, price comparison list for official GW prices UK vs USA? I am making an entire trip to England hoping to save some money on a box or two of minis and maybe the SM codex so that's why I ask.

I don't know about a combined list, but full UK and USA prices are available here:
https://trade.games-workshop.com/resources/

Look under Guidance Docs > Order forms. Then swap country to get the other.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-hot-take-space-marines-points-update/

SPEHSS MARINES are getting some further trimming on their point values to compensate for losing wound rerolls, probably tomorrow.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, i found a metal sprue of a tyranid monster but i dont know what it is and if its still valid got the game, can any of you identify it for me?

Also are 3 gargoyles a unit?

That's an early Ravener model. For a unit of them now you need at least 3 raveners, or 10+ gargoyles.