Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL

Warhammer+ tv shows arent available in my region, they're region locked, holy poo poo what a bunch of bozos, thank goodness they warned me before I subscribed get hosed GW I'm not paying for your poo poo service if I'm not getting what I pay for.

Also cool incentive to get people outside of the US and some EU countries to subscribe if they're not allowed to use half of the service. idiots.

Contacted GW a year or so ago to get info on when they were planning to roll out whtv in more countries, and they replied:

"Thank you very much for your email.

At present WarhammerTV has been officially launched in the following territories: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Unfortunately, I do not have a specific date as to when this service will launch in X, however, we’re adding new countries to this list all the time, so check for updates regularly, or sign up for our Warhammer+ newsletter to get all the latest information delivered directly to your inbox!"

Bolded part is funny, because that list of countries is what they launched with and they've added no new regions since then :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Crossposting from the minis painting thread (that people should check out if they don't already, there are some insanely talented goons posting there) since I just finished a small project I started in back in April, which was pretty much the first time I've touched a brush in more than a decade.
Bought a box of tactical marines, and instead of just going back to blue, I figured I wanted to try my hand at some of the scarier colours, and decided paint up one of each of the ten loyalist legions.

Group shot!

Everyone, in order of legion, obviously

Now that I've finished the tutorial, I guess I can finally start painting or something

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Assessor of Maat posted:

just lol if you aren't bashing together every marine squad from three different kits at minimum. that's the entire appeal of the fuckers

I loved to kitbash stuff back in the day, had a huge bit box due to working in a hobby store and being able to grab poo poo from opened boxes or promo stuff- it breaks my heart that I gave almost all of it away when I stopped warhamming in like 2010 :(

Just need to keep at it and be financially irresponsible wrt plastic for a couple of years, then I can get back to it!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ashcans posted:

Those noise marines are sick as hell but their cable management makes me doubt they are true audiophiles.

They definitely have auramite-plated cable connectors

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Girlfriend bought a box of celestian sacresants to paint up, and I got to try my hand at one of them. It's fun to paint something that isn't a space marine, but I'm kind of disappointed in the sculpt. The seams on the legs and shoulders leave huge gaps in the model and they just don't seem very well put together compared to primaris

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Arg, I'm faced with the oldest problem, complete choice paralysis for which space marine scheme I should settle for

I had pretty much decided on Raven Guard third company, and I even did a test scheme

But I just can't decide whether I actually think painting black is fun. I've done three black marines so far, and I think they look great together, but the process of getting there is kind of a pain?

I had most fun painting red and green, maybe because it's more satisfying to blend colours than highlighting with various shades of grey-- and they look fine, but I just can't get as enthused about the idea of a blood angels, salamander or dark angels army as I am about raven guard. Maybe I just need to throw in some white/bone arms to mix things up. Maybe I should stop fixating on raven guard and just paint something.

I've distracted myself by painting one of my fiancee's battle sisters, but it's almost complete and I can't keep putting off making a choice ;l

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I am definitely here for those hydraulic(?) stilts, that model is funny as hell

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Any comments and critiques for the child version of me? lol

Sure!

https://youtu.be/m3p_VuPIS2c?si=uyY4__M27nrmrlBg

(that rules, I also have some ancient babby-painted space marines lying in the attic somewhere, from forever ago. Maybe I should find and immortalise them)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

Those look great for painted-as-a-kid minis!

When I look back, I can't help but ask: did they just hide inks/washes from us as children? Like my modern minis look way better than my old minis, but AFAIK I mostly just... use washes now?

A large part of it is that there were very few resources for learning good techniques, unless you knew where to look for it or literally bought guides at hobby stores

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

Have my first ever attempt at painting a mini:

Honestly, I'm proud of it, and while it could be better in a lot of ways, that'll only come with time and practice.

That's a great colour scheme for imperial guard! I remember using almost exactly that for the imps in dawn of war multiplayer

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I kind of hate painting black and I'm gonna regret this down the line, but I've settled for a raven guard force (because they're so fukken cool) and I've cemented my commitment with this jetpack captain, who will soon have five leaping intercessors battle buddies

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Cease to Hope posted:

you can do your own bird gimmick thing and not paint them black

Oh sure, but being brooding, dorks and tacticool (while painted black) is what makes them so cool :downs:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Visited family and brought back a lot of my older mid 2000s-era stunties, some of which I'll probably strip and dismantle for bits, some others I'll repaint like my classic box dreadnaught. Overall they're better than I expected them to be, but a lot of these guys spent more than a decade dusting down in a store display, and I think the grime and dust has permanently set into the plastic

These totally not ultramarines were a novamarine successor chapter that I called "Hoplites" or something. I think I even had a forum post on dakkadakka or some other ancient lore subforum where I had full backstory and everything. IIRC part of their gimmick was working closely with the tithed imperial guard regiments of their homeworld, the hoplon to the space marines proverbial spear or some nonsense like that.

Exacto knife + terminator head = grey knight terminator helmet for cheap plus some other random duders. I was really into kitbashing stuff!

I remember being SO happy with this guy, but I definitely did NOT thin my paints

Kind of impressed that I managed to finagle a two-handed sword grip with what I assume to be a pistol hand, and it inspired me to try something similar with one of my new assault marines

e: took some more pictures

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 19, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

That's because they got kicked out of the noosphere by the AdMech, so they made their own. With blackjack, and hookers.

The dork web

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Assessor of Maat posted:

finally, official confirmation I am correct about which side the T'au take in the console wars

20 years (and 3 months) anniversary for the release of Fire Warrior on the PS2

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Crossposting from the painting thread: I Finally finished my first raven guard squad! Presenting the 3rd shadow company's 2nd assault squad, led by brother sergeant Larinae. There should be enough latin names for seagulls to fill out the names for the rest of the company, too. If anyone wants a closer look on any individual model, I've posted them in the painting thread as I've finished them!

It's been slow going, but I'm real happy with the result

Bohemian Nights posted:

Got the boys together for a group shot, which turns out to be really hard, and I now understand how people end up buying these little spinning platforms.

Time to move on to the grotmas gitz- I at least aim to finish the base before I paint more space marines. Aside from a jetpack captain, I've got some exterminators and a pack of infiltrators that needs to be assembled and primed!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Are 3d printers good enough now that I could get someone to print out a bunch of beakie heads for me, and not have my brain worms greatly disturbed by that weird jagged layering that most 3d printed stuff gets?

Buying the raven guard upgrade kit for the 2x corvus helmets inside, unsustainable in the long, middle and short run

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

gently caress predefined Marine legions chapters, run your own!

Also eyes are hard and uuuuugh they look terrible in the picture but from a distance they look decent. It's my second real attempt though so whatever.

I've found that painting eyes is a lot easier if you just paint the entire eye black, and then add on two white dots on each side of the eye- doing the opposite, more intuitive white eye, single black dot usually just ends up (when I do it, at least) making all my guys look googly eyed

Here's a slightly sad and very confused and/or concerned looking space marine head I didn't end up using, but the eyes turned out well with minimum effort, using the method above. Ignore the attempt at eyebrows, I clearly have no advice for those

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Maybe it's a good sign, and they're pausing to weed out scalpers? :shobon:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I saw the nid player that did well was running a horde army, which none of the meta lists are really built to go against, which is a pretty big brain build

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I finally got my beakie heads 3d printed, and they came out alright! Some layering, but I'm optimistic that it won't be too obvious with a little bit of cleaning, some primer and a coat of paint!

From left to right, it's what I intend to use for mixing up regular dudes, infiltrators and finally some laurels for my captain

Also, this was my first experience with blender, so the first stl files I exported weren't.. quite representative of what they looked like in blender, so here's the very first head, accidentally printed with every single possible accessory. I need to do something with this absolute atrocity

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have the Tzeentch scented candle. I don't think I want any chaos flavored beverages.

But what does Tzeentch smell like?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I have no idea how any of this works, but why are molds so expensive? what are they made of?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Cross posting from the painting thread, because I'm real chuffed with how it turned out

Bohemian Nights posted:

Finished the grotmas gitz! I'm often overly critical of myself, but I'm super happy with how this guy turned out- though I could definitely have spent more time on the rider, especially his coat- but whatever! It felt done.

This guy is by far the most advanced thing I've painted, just an incredible amount of colour and detail on this model- but incredibly fun to paint, it'll be weird to transition back to painting Raven Guard in various shades of grey and black after this

I hope someone can tell what the bottom right box is supposed to be painted as- and the other ones are totally randomly picked colours and not at all some attempt at incisive scandinavian political commentary.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

looking forward to the titan expansion

I dunno, seems to have multiplayer, but not massively multiplayer!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

soviet elsa posted:

Is it dumb to be dissappointed in new studio orks having the same paint job they've had for a while? The current scheme has them in some kind of sickly pale green instead of a deep, healthy goblin green glow. It just looks off to me.

I much prefer the sickly pale green to the darker green, personally

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nothing But Hate posted:

“Finished” painting my spare parts Techmarine today, not completely happy but it’ll do for now

Considering you started off with half a model, he looks great- and easily reads as a techmarine too, so job well done imo

In celebration of finishing my first infiltrators squad, I took a family photo and added some (cringy) fluff to it, and gave them all suitably punny/referencial warhams names

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Aliensandwich posted:

The air is currently pretty dry where live.

Also: Does Lahmian Medium work well as a matte varnish? I plan on popping that on once the decals finally settle to undo the initial gloss layer

You should probably get some technical stormshield if you want a matte varnish. Lahmian medium won't do what you want, and will probably only damage the paintjob if you apply it on top of a finished model

I know this because I got my varnish and lahmian mixed up, and the paint cracked where I had lathered it on

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Wait, they do? :raise:

Well that's weird, they actually do mention in in their latest iteration of painting videos for transfers.

Weird! Maybe it works fine if you're careful and just apply it on top of the decal itself? I'd still get an actual varnish, though!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

GW mentions Lahmian Medium as a matte varnish for going over decals because they have a policy of, wherever possible, only using their own products in their demo videos, and Lahmian Medium is the closest thing they sell to matte varnish. That does not mean it's the best product for that purpose, or even that the people filming the video think it's the best product for that purpose. I think it's Rogue Hobbies who has a story about when she was doing a blood tutorial for Warhammer TV and she begged them to let her use Uhu glue and they wouldn't let her, and she ended up doing something with a sprue and a candle to make stringy gore instead.

Yeah, but technical stormshield is a matte varnish and a GW product, so... I'm confused why they wouldn't just recommend that, but what do I know lol

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
re:re:fw varnish chat

Varnish isn't neccesarily only for varnishing

a thin layer of f.ex stormshield over a finished model can very slightly dull the colours, which might sound detrimental, but this also serves to smooth out transitions and highlights, which can be a nice bonus besides protecting your paintjob

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Coming Next Week video said all the MTO stuff is metal.

so sell me this in some kind of displate like metal, gw you cowards

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Frog Act posted:

I absolutely must have these Orks, all of them, are “made to order” models different somehow? How do you buy em

Made to order is different in that they only (roughly) produce as many models as they get initial orders, they most likely won't be available again after production.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

They seem to be low key moving towards giving the Raven Guard some lime light, I could see a Raven Guard themed normal SM vs EC 11th edition launch box but tbh I think we're getting EC within 10th

I would love to see Raven Guard get any kind of love, but I dunno if I've seen these low key signs you're talking about- to me, raven guard seem to be as neglected as iron hands. Those dang black templars strealing all the thunder for black painted armor

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I grabbed a family photo of all the raven guard I've painted so far, and it's the first time I've tried to photograph more than 5 minis at a time, and it was an absolute nightmare to get a picture that didn't look like dog water

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Lostconfused posted:

Horus did nothing wrong

Not that this isn't the right thread for it, but there's a book barn thread on warhammer that spends quite a bit of time discussing the lore as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Bought the blood bowl gnome box, I am so hyped to paint some cute animals and silly looking tiny(er) dudes