Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

not getting covid ftw

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New thread does not have that new thread smell. Rating this product 1. Glad I kept my receipt.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I've never gotten covid and haven't ever worn anything more than a cloth mask. anyone needs tips hmu

if you don't go to high density events/indoor seating a bunch you basically are gonna find it harder to get I think unless somebody brings it to you (hence why parents, and teachers ofc, are always mega-owned) I've been unmasked 4eva and haven't gotten that poo poo but also work in an area with huge air circulation (i.e. outdoor air not recirculated), so dealing with a decent amount of ppl but not many at once. that + the goons natural proclivities sort of shields you from common firing lanes covid wise, is my theory.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What long covid treatments exist that are any good?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Demilich posted:

Joevid-19: Beau's Revenge (Dupont Heir edition)

The Demilich, i'm sorry i rebooted the thread immediately after your question. i've been trying to find citations on your "how long to rest after covid" question and i'm not having success yet on anything that isn't New Yorker posts talking about how having covid is a great time to recharge

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

pillsburysoldier posted:

alcohol

wanking

death

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

pillsburysoldier posted:

still being studied. get into a study if a new one opens up

otherwise, do everything to avoid severe disease, rest lots and lots, and hope you are in the vast majority of people who did not get long covid after an infection.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'll tolerate a covid thread (sigh) but where's the pestilence thread

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

fosborb posted:

still being studied. get into a study if a new one opens up

otherwise, do everything to avoid severe disease, rest lots and lots, and hope you are in the vast majority of people who did not get long covid after an infection.

Saw a super promising one for taste/smell last year with like 80+% success

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Parity warning posted:

i'll tolerate a covid thread (sigh) but where's the pestilence thread

there were 169 title changes in the previous thread. happy to change this one asap, too, but wanted to open with a blank slate.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

pillsburysoldier posted:

Saw a super promising one for taste/smell last year with like 80+% success

post it?

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

There are 3 days left to register for the Public infection control advisory committee HICPAC meeting (you CAN, but don’t have to speak!)

Don’t let HICPAC weaken protections against infection in healthcare!

Register here: https://cdc.gov/hicpac/meeting.html

Also: 3 days left to sign WHN’s letter to tell HICPAC their draft guidelines DO NOT adequately protect healthcare workers and patients!

Sign here: https://forms.gle/oDZTjY5yHWwqRwjn6

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fosborb posted:

post it?

:lsd:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pillsburysoldier posted:

The conventional wisdom is to rest for a month or more after recovery. No strenuous exercise or activities.

I am genuinely sorry that we don't know more.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

fosborb posted:

post it?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35450527/

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

DickParasite posted:

The conventional wisdom is to rest for a month or more after recovery. No strenuous exercise or activities.

I am genuinely sorry that we don't know more.

Oh I'm fine. Just prepping for the inevitable.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

bg3 but you're infected with og covid and plugging covid variants directly into your brain

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

covid free and normal, masks ftw

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thinking about four months ago when I could go across the street and get a rapid + PCR test done in 10 minutes as I also try to remember how close I was standing to my now-infected coworker at the recent outdoor event.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Youtuber physicsgirl has a horrifying long covid case

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

Eligible subjects had prior COVID-19 and persistent olfactory impairment >6 months after follow-up SARS-CoV-2 negative testing, without prior history of olfactory dysfunction or other sinonasal disorders.

i used to professionally cook and the possibility of not being able to smell properly for any length of time has messed with me, ngl

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

fosborb posted:

The Demilich, i'm sorry i rebooted the thread immediately after your question. i've been trying to find citations on your "how long to rest after covid" question and i'm not having success yet on anything that isn't New Yorker posts talking about how having covid is a great time to recharge

Yeah I've been looking for stuff related to post recovery sudden death & related information hoping it would ping something related, but there's been no dice as of yet

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

Objective: To determine the most physiologic and effective saline concentration for nasal irrigation in terms of mucus secretion and cellular morphology by using normal human nasal epithelial cells treated with hypo-, iso- and hypertonic saline.

Material and methods: Fully differentiated passage-2 normal human nasal epithelial cells were treated with pure water and with 0.3% (hypotonic), 0.9% (isotonic) and 3% (hypertonic) saline solutions. mRNA expression levels of MUC5AC and MUC5B, which are known to be major airway mucins, were analyzed after 30 min using reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction. Total mucin and MUC5AC and MUC5B mucin secretions were analyzed using dot-blotting. Cellular morphology was observed with light microscopy after hematoxylin-eosin staining and with scanning electron microscopy.

Results: MUC5AC and MUC5B mRNA levels did not change after treatment with pure water and various concentrations of saline. Total mucin and MUC5AC mucin secretions only increased following pure water treatment, while MUC5B mucin secretion increased with pure water, hypo- and hypertonic saline treatment. Morphologic analysis revealed that pure water severely damaged normal human nasal epithelial cells and that only isotonic saline did not affect their morphology.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16303677/

https://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/bitstream/22282913/123197/1/T009388.pdf

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Platystemon posted:

Posting on the pandemic page.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

skaboomizzy posted:

I had to go home for a funeral and was the only person masking on two fully seated 737 flights that were 2+ hours each way

nobody was masking through two full days of viewings and a service and luncheon the third day

lol

I had to travel to Texas for a big work convention and I'm the only one masked. Departing from California I saw a total of 5 other masked people at the airport, in Texas I've seen 0 masked people period.

Due to career pressure I've gone to the company dinners unmasked/done PPE theatre like taking off my mask to eat this week, which kind of sucks but I'm also not scheduled to see my at risk relatives for weeks so can avoid transmitting anything to them if I get got. Oh well at least
I'm risking maiming at some high end dinners on the company or vendors' dime and not TGI Fridays or Chili's.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pillsburysoldier posted:

ligma

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Man, I'm in bed for a month and the thread gets closed and reopened, is it just a normal reboot or do I need a recap.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have the studies on hand about keeping physical activity to a minimum for a month and some change?

Need it for a friend whose being bone headed.

It might help to tell your friend to think of COVID as an injury. The infection is basically an assault on your body and some damage will have been done that your body needs to recover from. And the universal advice for injury recovery is to rest for a while.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hellequin posted:

Man, I'm in bed for a month and the thread gets closed and reopened, is it just a normal reboot or do I need a recap.

A couple people expressed a bit of a siege mentality. One going off on a Costco sample vendor and posting about it in a weirdly romanticized way, another suggesting in reply that they were going to conceal carry because of anti-maskers. Then in spite of them being dealt with by mods we had so many pages of litigating if the thread should even exist and people threadshitting.

And the thread was old anyway and they're apparently doing it to other megathreads. :shrug:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Phigs posted:

A couple people expressed a bit of a siege mentality. One going off on a Costco sample vendor and posting about it in a weirdly romanticized way, another suggesting in reply that they were going to conceal carry because of anti-maskers. Then in spite of them being dealt with by mods we had so many pages of litigating if the thread should even exist and people threadshitting.

And the thread was old anyway and they're apparently doing it to other megathreads. :shrug:

megathreads died with covid not of covid

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Phigs posted:

It might help to tell your friend to think of COVID as an injury. The infection is basically an assault on your body and some damage will have been done that your body needs to recover from. And the universal advice for injury recovery is to rest for a while.

Already did that but they want an ~article~

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ahhhh enjoy that new thread smell, so great to see everyone smiling!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Demilich posted:

Yeah I've been looking for stuff related to post recovery sudden death & related information hoping it would ping something related, but there's been no dice as of yet

I only ever saw "six weeks" as a target duration for not exerting strenuous activity post-COVID but I couldn't tell you where that thread got it from

actually, that jogged my memory a little: there was definitely this chart that had a red-color spectrum based on a study of post-COVID symptoms and recovery that I think referenced the need for rest specifically. Maybe that will help someone track it down

in any case, as far as an article: https://time.com/6215346/covid-19-rest-helps/, but even this doesn't define a specific duration

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That original thread is wild when people just do that poo poo on Tiktok all the time now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend here in Australia posted a question on social media: "I'm due for my booster, should I get Pfizer or Moderna??" and a bunch of people weighed in with opinions for one or the other and I Kramered into the thread going "Perhaps I could interest you in a lovely refreshing shot of Novavax? :buddy:"

The Demilich posted:

Already did that but they want an ~article~

Spoiler: they're going to ignore the article as well and just do what they want

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

here's to another year of covid being over

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Covid still sucks.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

excessively comfy retirement money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

new Covid thread let’s loving gooo