Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

“Don’t be a pussy” worked spectacularly for covid and it will be applied to every single problem facing us in the near future.

It's summer, it's supposed to be hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Andre Picard is one of the main health issues reporter for the Globe and Mail, Canada's equivalent to the New York Times. Given he's Canadian he's ultimately small potatoes and his views are not important (:canada:), but it's as if a top New York Times columnist published an article questioning whether we need to worry so much about cancer. Typing that sentence out I realize that may have already happened.

It is wild to see the same type of media consent manufacturing processes used to minimize the impacts of high inflation or arguing that it's the immigrants causing Canada's high housing prices (another current local "issue") being used to question the utility of cancer screening and treatments. At least the CDC director isn't outright declaring that we need to learn to live with rising cancer rates.

The Oldest Man posted:

also you don't necessarily need to have an actual conspiracy for this when you can instead build an entire grant and trust system that can be selectively deployed toward think tanks and academics who will reliably come to the right conclusion about whatever topic on their own, that's the american way

Yes exactly. One of the key strengths in the model of the media consent manufacturing system is that no-one needs to be in control, but instead pro-capitalist views naturally get amplified and reinforce each other through consolidated for-profit media organizations. Maybe some politically and economically powerful individuals/group are aware of what they're doing and purposefully try to shape public opinion, but everyone in charge could be completely clueless and disorganized and the general opinions that get widely distributed would be largely the same.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wait wtf these are different guys trying to make cancerphobia happen 😳 what's going on?
Why our fear of cancer is outdated — and harmful

www.washingtonpost.com - Mon, 08 Jan 2024 posted:

David Ropeik, a former environmental journalist and retired instructor in the environmental management program at Harvard University’s School of Continuing Education, is the author of “Curing Cancerphobia: How Risk, Fear, and Worry Mislead Us.”

We need to rethink our fear of cancer. Our dread of the Emperor of All Maladies, learned decades ago, is now out of date and doing great harm on its own.

We have feared cancer more than any other disease since it became the No. 2 cause of death in the United States in the 1920s (after heart disease). Although the promise of “the cure” for cancer remains unfulfilled, we have made great progress. Cancer mortality in the United States is down 33 percent in just the past three decades. As many as two-thirds of all cancers can now be treated as chronic conditions or cured outright.

Yet our deep fear of the disease stubbornly persists. And no wonder. Progress notwithstanding, a diagnosis of cancer is still thought to be a death sentence. When a national survey asked people for the first word that came to mind when they heard the word “cancer,” more than half replied “death.” And, indeed, this family of more than 200 types of disease continues to be a cruel killer, of roughly 600,000 Americans a year. People we know. People we care for.

But for all that harm, consider the cost of our cancerphobia, a fear that in some ways no longer matches the facts.

We now know that tens of thousands of common breast, prostate and thyroid cancers that are detected early never go on to do any harm. People “overdiagnosed” with these types of cancer are understandably frightened and usually choose more aggressive treatment than their clinical conditions require. Such “fear-ectomies” cause great harm, leading to side effects that range from moderate to severe and include death itself. We spend an estimated $5.2 billion a year on such clinically unnecessary treatment, 3 percent of the total spent on all cancer care annually.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in 2017, nearly 16 million people were screened for cancer even though they were younger or older than those for whom screening is recommended, based on who is more likely to be helped or harmed (by false positives, the side effects from follow-up diagnostic tests, and aggressive treatment for clinically non-threatening disease discovered in screening). We spend a minimum of $9.2 billion per year on this overscreening.

A majority of people believe that most cancer is caused by environmental carcinogens. Yet we now know that cancer is principally a natural disease of aging, which allows DNA mutations that cause uncontrolled cell growth to accumulate. More than half of those diagnosed with cancer in the United States are at least 65 years old, while 87 percent of those who die of it are 50 or older.

Yet governments spend hundreds of billions of dollars each year to reduce the risk from environmental carcinogens, vastly more than on any other environmental health threat, including fine-particulate air pollution, which kills more than 100,000 people a year. We spend billions on organic foods, vitamins and supplements, as well as many other products that promise to reduce our risk of cancer but don’t. The public has voted against fluoridating the drinking water in public supply systems serving 30 percent of Americans, despite a lack of evidence to support the fear that fluoridation is a cancer risk. Fear of ionizing (nuclear) radiation, a vastly smaller cancer risk than commonly believed, has driven the cost of building nuclear power plants so high that this source of non-greenhouse-gas-emitting energy struggles to compete in the energy marketplace.

Heart disease kills roughly 15 percent more people than cancer each year. Yet the National Cancer Institute budget is $7.3 billion, while the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute spends only about $2 billion researching and working on prevention of heart disease. There is no “war on heart disease,” no “heart disease moonshot” to compare to the calls for a “cancer moonshot,” a metaphor evoked since the Nixon administration and currently an initiative of the Biden administration.

Our fear of cancer resists change, in part, because of its psychological nature. We are instinctively more afraid of threats that are personified by victims we know, that cause great pain and suffering, and over which we have no control — which is why screening is so appealing, because it at least gives us something we can do to protect ourselves.

Cancer fear also resists change because our beliefs still rest on what we learned long ago. The public is mostly unaware of the quiet, incremental progress that has made so many cancers treatable or curable. Very few know that many common cancers never kill. Our deep faith in screening belies the evidence that it has only modest benefit and does great damage, something people don’t realize because screening advocates have vastly oversold the benefits and practically never mention the harm.

We cannot absolutely cure cancer, nor will we ever entirely erase our cancerphobia. The disease is an intrinsic product of our biology. The fear is driven by ancient psychological instincts. But in the interest of both our individual and public health, we need to promote awareness of the progress we’ve made fighting cancer. We need to understand and battle both the disease and our fear, because both are doing terrible harm.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Today is one of my on-site work days, and it’s just hitting all the classics so far.

I have to show a co-worker and my supervisor a website issue found yesterday, and not only is the only possible way to demonstrate it clearly by them looking directly over my shoulder for 15 minutes, but the co-worker multiple times let’s us know he’s just barely managing not to throw up the entire time. Weird, must be something going around.

That’s immediately followed up by a mandatory company-wide HR meeting with the presentation essentially being “Stress and anxiety make you unproductive, you probably can’t change the cause anyway, so chin up, buttercup. Also sure is great we’re past that pesky pandemic!”

I will continue to trust my respirator, thanks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

wait wtf these are different guys trying to make cancerphobia happen 😳 what's going on?

I'm going to take a guess that behind all this is like some retreat or luncheon that this guy David Ropeik went to that was incidentally part-sponsored by a philanthropic or research fund that just happens to receive substantial contributions from like DuPont

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mason Dixon posted:

Today is one of my on-site work days, and it’s just hitting all the classics so far.

I have to show a co-worker and my supervisor a website issue found yesterday, and not only is the only possible way to demonstrate it clearly by them looking directly over my shoulder for 15 minutes, but the co-worker multiple times let’s us know he’s just barely managing not to throw up the entire time. Weird, must be something going around.

That’s immediately followed up by a mandatory company-wide HR meeting with the presentation essentially being “Stress and anxiety make you unproductive, you probably can’t change the cause anyway, so chin up, buttercup. Also sure is great we’re past that pesky pandemic!”

Bringing in a wellness coach to tell everyone about the mental health benefits of not looking up

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Mason Dixon posted:

Yeah this is my first day back in two weeks and the first thing I overheard this morning was two coworkers discussing how both of them have recently had parents with "mild strokes" who can't walk or talk properly now.

Lmao everything is mild

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mawarannahr posted:

this columnist dumbass posted:

Heart disease kills roughly 15 percent more people than cancer each year. Yet the National Cancer Institute budget is $7.3 billion, while the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute spends only about $2 billion researching and working on prevention of heart disease.

I've uh... got some ideas that don't need money!! what if instead we did things that weren't devolvable to Number Size??

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

now compare the number of people killed by cancer / number of dollars spent on cancer research ratio to the number of people killed by violent crime / number of dollars spent on police ratio and an interesting thing occurs

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That streamer Ninja just announced he has skin cancer at 32. Younger people are getting cancer at increasing rates. The olds must convince us to stop worrying and just live our lives.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Parody is dead, shamelessness killed it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a weird bird disease from Australia: Lorikeet Paralysis Syndrome. Every few years between October and June (peaking around Dec-Feb) usually after heavy rains in a very specific region of Queensland they'll see hundreds and hundreds of lorikeets suddenly develop paralysis and lose the ability to move, squawk or eat and sometimes they can't even blink or swallow. This has been going on for at least a decade and maybe as far back as the 1970s but they still haven't pinned down the exact cause, although they're now pretty confident it's because of an introduced plant species which the birds have been feeding on. Which plant? They have no idea.

They usually get a couple hundred cases a year but this last season has seen a huge surge and there's been nearly 4,000 known cases.

Here's a recent news article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-12/qld-lorikeet-release-parlysis-syndrome-clenched-foot/103576066

Griz
May 21, 2001

checking into my doctor appointment wearing the usual Aura

"do you have a cold?"
"no"
"oh you just feel safer wearing a mask?"

I wasn't even the only masked person in the waiting room.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Griz posted:

"do you have a cold?"
"no"

Checking into the construction site wearing the usual Hard Hat

"do you have a head wound?"
"no"
"oh you just feel safer wearing a hard hat?"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Griz posted:

"do you have a cold?"
"no"

love the implication that a cold is the only illness you should wear a mask for lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

love the implication that a cold is the only illness you should wear a mask for lol

a cold isn't even the flu, much less just it

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Griz posted:

"do you have a cold?"
"no"

Love that it's always about feelings and material reality is never given the time of day

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait, farmers don't have to cull their cattle if they find bird flu in them at all? Uhhh that's not a good thing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dxt posted:

Love that it's always about feelings and material reality is never given the time of day

Well masks don't actually make you safer. I have a Cochrane review right here that says as much. Follow the science.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://youhavetoliveyour.life/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Wait, farmers don't have to cull their cattle if they find bird flu in them at all? Uhhh that's not a good thing

ah, but bird flu is for birds, and cows are not birds

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haha holy poo poo I love this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what a genuinely great website

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Steely Dad posted:

Our defenses are evolving to be milder

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

thread title

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

this rules

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

I love the hostility of the dropdown box. It's like, oh, that totally original and well thought out point you think you just made? Oops, it's actually a running joke due to how ignorant, manufactured, and cliche it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Article: The pragmatic case for giving a sh*t about the world’s deadliest disease

It’s not about COVID‑19 lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sh*t

he*k

NICK KRISTOF OH BOY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m going to pair these three for no reason.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1758184147225280952

US government failure to protect frontline workers from COVID led to thousands of deaths, scientists say

CDC rift with Cal/OSHA over when to use N95 masks could put California health workers at risk again

We did it, Joe! We put everyone at risk indefinitely. It’s a total victory for #healthequity!

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Mar 28, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

That one always bothers me because people I know who've said it I've watched *agonize* over throwing away a 1% defensive buff drop in Borderlands.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
drake no: 1% increase to my health
drake yes: 30% chance to permanently decrease my health

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

holy gently caress

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

holy gently caress

that’s loving beautiful but if I showed my husband that I can pretty much guarantee I’d be divorced lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
very cool a relative’s Dr is suggesting the booster may have contributed to their ALS diagnosis. and this is at a Vanderbilt.

a previous Dr blamed the vaccine on a mis diagnosis of some other neurological issue.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

"Indoor airborne risk assessment in the context of SARS-CoV-2: description of airborne transmission mechanism and method to develop a new standardized model for risk assessment"

Direct link to PDF

(it covers more than just spitting in each other's mouths)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh well apparently it's just too hard to redesign the department so we don't drag airborne infection patients through the control room. It's just too difficult you see. Very expensive.