Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

first pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they shipped us rsv vaccine a week ago but we can't administer it because they haven't got around to giving us a protocol yet

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the new paxlovid we unpack from the orders expired in february but they're all like "oops good for one more year we meant lol" so we have to very professionally use sharpie to cross out the obvious printed expiration date and handwrite 2-24 instead

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

finally got our protocol and we're seeing several hundred dollar reimbursements for the rsv shot, no wonder everyone is pushing them so hard lol

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

a twinge of terror enters my mind wondering if we're billing the wrong unit size, but surely the plans would reject an erroneous claim, right?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We did it folks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fearful-covid-20-maui-business-owners-say-welcome-tourism-rcna100555

The Covid response was just a test run, we’re free forever now from any pretense that life matters more then the economy

we could house thousands of displaced residents or rent out thousands of units of housing as airbnbs to tourists or residents at gently caress-you prices gee hmm i wonder what they will choose

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

now that the vaccine is private market providers have to buy it instead of getting for free through procurement programs, smaller clinics are probably hesitant to eat poo poo on a vaccine nobody's gonna take

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Thoguh posted:

Is it single dose vials now instead of vials of ten? I thought I saw that but I can’t find a source right now. That would help a lot with wasted juice.

they're single use now, which is nice because now we don't have to discard unused portions at the end of the day after doing one or two shots, but a box of 10 units is going to set a provider back about a thousand bucks and i think there's order minimums

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Do you have to be a Costco member? Assuming yes.

depends on the state... in california anyone can use the pharmacy for example

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

blue laws for drugs but they say things like you can't get oxycodone on sundays

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

adebisi lives posted:

Sorry if this has come up recently but this thread moves too fast for me keep up with a lot of the time - are the updated boosters typically being covered by health insurance providers? I thought I saw a few weeks ago that the updated mrna boosters were being purchased out of pocket in some cases.

Seeing the pricing info on novavax shots from Costco is getting me curious on what the coverage on boosters is now that Biden and company ruined the good old days of people just throwing syringes at you without an insurance card even being presented.

Edit: I just saw the post about the bridge program, but was thinking more of my situation where I have insurance but wasn't sure if or how the boosters are covered

realistically the only problem ive seen with covid boosters and private insurance is some plans are out of network and won't take claims from our pharmacy, i haven't run across any plans charging copays or denying claims... we're only getting 30 novovax at a time which lasts us about a day and a half apparently

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

in the last 5 years we went from 1 fridge with about $40k of inventory (we had to destroy one time because someone accidentally left the door open over the thanksiving holiday) to 3 fridges with about $500k of inventory because of all the loving biologics, insulins and semaglutides and one of them is jam packed full of flu and rsv shots mostly

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they put the pharmacies in the back of the store because the pharmacy is there to drive foot traffic into the building and doesn't make them any money unless people are also filling up their shopping carts along the way, although these days with opioid lawsuits and such the pharmacies are more of a liability so grocery stores are phasing them out or selling them

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the paxlovid assistance program from pfizer has a benefit limit of $1250 per year and one 5 day course costs about $1700... people are just gonna keep getting covid 2 or 3 times a year without any effective therapeutics instead of paying thousands of dollars or wearing a mask

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-price-covid-19-drug-paxlovid-1400-five-day-course-wsj-2023-10-18/

so the $1400 price for paxlovid is just what Pfizer is going to charge insurance

nobody knows yet what they’re going to charge patients after insurance discounts

Medicare and Medicaid patients will get it free through the end of 2024

uninsured and underinsured patients will still get it free through 2028

I’m guessing the main problem is that insurance will try their damnest to prescribe it to as few people as possible

"free for the uninsured" comes with some real big loving caveats because the assistance program has a capped benefit of $1,350 per year and paxlovid is actually retailing near $1,700 so you still might be looking at $350 for a course after the assistance program... once a year... and hope you don't get covid for the rest of the year and have to either skip it and roll the dice or pay full retail

paxlovid is gonna hit people's $500 medicare d deductibles so lots of older folks on fixed incomes are going to skip it too

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Zugzwang posted:

I frequently see headlines about the chemo drug shortage. The articles are always "yep there's still a shortage." Not knowing if you can even get the drug(s) you need adds a whole other layer of hell onto the hell of having cancer. Sometimes there are alternative drugs that work just as well, but sometimes there just aren't. :thumbsup:

there's a lot of drug shortages all around... they were initially blamed on supply chain disruptions caused by covid shutdowns of course, but they're still happening and getting worse so im inclined to think it's more that a lot of these drugs companies are private equity fronts that were leveraging themselves to the hilt to buy as much intellectual property and distribution rights as possible... then they got turbofucked by interest rates spiking and their business models fell apart so lots of them either went bankrupt or scaled back production to reduce costs

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they were morbidly obese and diabetic so it's impossible to tell if they died from the heart attack or with it

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we're just letting society collapse... maybe we'll do better on a rebuild

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

maybe it's because the frail old man they're trying to get reelected has to make it another 4 years to save democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we have no choice but to end abortion to make up for all the toddlers we're gonna lose to preventable infectious diseases