Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol you're a mod now, goondolences :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Here’s when to keep your student home

When your child has a fever over 104°F

lmao that's gotta be a typo, right? It's supposed to say 100.4, right????

e: ah, it is a typo, good job local news lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Also, this is a big one - "COVID is airborne" isn't mentioned in it anywhere from what I can tell and that should be one of the major points. "COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke" is accurate and a very effective way for people to understand the situation. So many people outside of the thread really don't understand this.

:hai:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

LentThem posted:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/long-covid-rylee-joyce-august-9-2023

It's a good thing kids almost never catch COVID or we'd be hosed- wait...they what?!?

oooof

quote:

The RECOVER project is in the phase of collecting data and will soon begin analyzing it to try to find potential commonalities in cases and trends, Stevens said.

A long-term study like this will not produce answers for several years, but Dee Joyce is thankful the data she helped collect will go to help others.

"It’s sad. It’s taken a lot away for us for sure," Dee said. “[RECOVER] gave me hope that we’re being heard and that they’re putting the pieces together."

seeing hope regarding the RECOVER program is kinda depressing thing to read, considering this article was published only a week ago

‘Underwhelming’: NIH trials fail to test meaningful long Covid treatments — after 2.5 years and $1 billion
https://www.statnews.com/2023/08/09/long-covid-nih-trials/

quote:

More than 2.5 years after the National Institutes of Health received a $1 billion mandate from Congress to study and treat long Covid, the agency has finally launched clinical trials for the often-debilitating condition. But both scientists who study long Covid and patients who have struggled with it say the trials are unlikely to deliver meaningful treatments, suggesting the federal government’s landmark Covid research effort may have been wasted.

Millions of Americans have suffered symptoms ranging from debilitating fatigue to heart issues, some still sick after initial coronavirus infections in the pandemic’s first wave. Congress provided the NIH with $1.15 billion to help patients in December 2020 — and the agency has now spent most of that funding, according to a detailed new budget breakdown shared with MuckRock and STAT, with the majority going towards observational research rather than clinical trials.

Among the trials announced so far, the NIH’s long Covid initiative, called RECOVER, is studying only a handful of pharmaceutical treatments, along with several behavioral options. These treatments will not address the underlying biological issues of long Covid, say scientists and patient advocates who reviewed the newly public details about the studies.

Scientists also expressed concerns about how the RECOVER studies will measure the way the treatments affect patients. Without study designs that account for unique long Covid symptoms, such as delayed fatigue after exertion, the trials may miss positive impacts — or harmful side effects — of the treatments. Potential errors in the trials could have been avoided through transparency and better engagement with patients, experts and advocates say.

“Nobody in the patient community or the research community thinks this is going to be sufficient to solve the problem,” said Charlie McCone, a long Covid advocate and patient representative for RECOVER. “And there’s been no indication that there will be funding for further trials.”

(...)

This funding “has been largely wasted,” said David Putrino, director of rehabilitation innovation at Mount Sinai and a clinician studying long Covid. RECOVER’s research findings so far, such as a paper about common symptoms published in May 2023, have not added new insights to the field, he said. Instead, the agency is following an “old rulebook of biological discovery” that may take decades to identify novel treatments.

(...)

One reason for the lack of promising treatments among RECOVER’s trials is the initiative’s overall failure to learn from past research in other chronic diseases that share symptoms with long Covid, said Todd Davenport, a professor and rehabilitation expert at University of the Pacific. Davenport has studied myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a condition that is now a common diagnosis for long Covid patients.

Scientists on the RECOVER team “have parachuted into post-infectious illness and are now trying these things for the first time, to them,” Davenport said. “But it’s clear they haven’t done the reading.”

Davenport and other scientists outside of RECOVER have long lists of drugs that they’d like to test, most of which are not included in the NIH study.

this sucks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

maybe they're just on vacation, like on some summerlong mega cruise or something

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol the uptake numbers on the next booster are going to be even worse

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Babe, wake up. The mirror universe’s ivermectin has revealed itself.

Exposure to lung-migrating helminth protects against murine SARS-CoV-2 infection through macrophage-dependent T cell activation

In short, of mice are infected with this curly bugger, they fight off SARS‑CoV‑2 more effectively.

Will one U.S. public health failure cancel out another? Probably not.

huh, so ivermectin hurts you by killing off all the beneficial parasitic worms :hmmrona:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Ooooh poo poo lmao egg hasn't even got the chance to really spread their wings and we already have a super scary variant that is now being seeded across the globe? Even the WHO just immediately added it as variant under monitoring.

https://twitter.com/vipintukur/status/1692001606185656490

This is probably why this is gonna be a big deal lol

got BA.X COVID? get Paxlovid

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

i cant think of a better way for a prof to teach people about infectious disease outbreaks

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poppers posted:

It’s definitely a cost benefit thing which is unfortunate but a real part of healthcare. Hospitals are already one of the most insane garbage generating entities in all of modern society and there is at least some conceptual merit to reducing waste

imo the "reduce waste" solution is to give your staff elastomerics, and its cheaper in the long run too

San Antonio hospital could have an answer to the PPE crisis-- elastomeric masks
https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...6c-33ce89e193cc

quote:

Kizilbash is an associate professor in Internal Medicine and the Medical Director at The Texas Center for Infectious Disease or TCID.

She says the Elastomeric North 7700 Respirator is Hypoallergenic and made 100 percent of silicon and the center has 130 of these masks being routinely used.

TCID is organized under the Texas Department of State Health Services under the public health division. The hospital specializes in treating tuberculosis patients.

Dr. Kizilbash says the Elastomeric is highly effective against airborne diseases such as Tuberculosis. She says the center has used them since 1996 and not once did an employee test positive for TB.

(...)

As for the cost, she says it’s significant. For 170 employees, Kizilbash says the disposable N95 masks costs the center more than 44 thousand dollars a year. The Reusable Elastomeric masks cost just over two thousand dollars and only needs a filter change once a year.

“These masks can be used for years if you take care of them.”

It's disappointing that people are so hard on elastomerics, because they work really well and they don't break the bank over several years the way disposable masks do

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I mean, that presumes each staff member is issued exactly one which they take care of and don't lose or break. And the number of loving papr hoods and positioning slings that end up in trash cans instead of getting reprocessed makes me less sanguine about the potential cost savings.

for context: I worked in hospital materials management from 2021 until a few months ago

in the article, the cost to equip their employees with non-disposable PPE was a little over $11 per year per employee. By contrast, providing each employee with disposable respirators cost $258 per year per employee. i don't think you're going to bridge that difference in cost unless your employees are extremely gung-ho about pitching non-disposable hospital property. And if they are then you have much bigger problems at your facility

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Speaking of reporting data, just check out that pop up on the WHO dashboard lol

https://covid19.who.int/

lol get hosed WHO dashboard :flip:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rosalind posted:

The plot thickens somewhat:

My email was titled "COVID Wastewater surveillance data request" but ok.

nexous posted:

the appropriate program is the recycle bin

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rosalind posted:

This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

getting caught up in this thread but this sounds amazing and I for one would love to see it. I think long effortposts like that are when this thread is at its strongest. It doesn't even need to be about COVID per se, just so long as it touches upon public health then it's very relevant.

Hellequin made some really great (and very long) posts in the last thread about ME/CFS that are worth reading if you've got the time. It's stuff like that beyond simply dispensing COVID info that makes the cspam COVID thread special

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 1

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 2

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 3

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Baddog posted:

I tried to help someone in Colorado get it through a pharmacist when "test to treat" (right there in the grocery store next to the bread) was the big thing. The pharmacist wanted them to go get the whole panel of liver and kidney function tests first. Which, fair enough. But they needed a doctor to get that ordered (and more days). They just gave up.

Probably works ok if you have a copy of recent labwork.

requiring liver and kidney panels as a prerequisite for Pax is so stupid. there are millions of people in this country who are eligible for Paxlovid, but could never hope to clear that hurdle within 5 days of popping positive. If it's going to be a requirement, then that poo poo should be free and fast for all of us.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

taking pax as a regular pre-exposure or post-exposure prophylaxis sounds awful lol

you'd be tasting metal almost 24/7

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

I cannot bring myself to watch it but am nonetheless excited to see the bullshit that comes from this :shepface:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Huh, I have never seen the DO acronym before. It looks to me like people are trying to channel their inner jesus and touch people back to health?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Buffer posted:

I think Leonardi put it something like “Ebola is airborne and absolutely dumpsters the immune system but it’s not airborne AIDS either.”

I'm going to quote him in full again because I just love the phrasing

No, COVID is not “airborne AIDS." But what it does to your immune system is still scary

Anthony Leonardi posted:

If someone gets an Ebola infection, their blood is a T cell graveyard. It's a site of cremation. It's just chaos, it's insane. But we don't call Ebola 'airborne HIV' or 'airborne AIDS.'

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

why tf are there 500 posts in here since I looked last night? is there a covid wave or somethin?

we discovered that allergens can be roasted out of existence

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

You've got people out there talking about strains of covid and how this one makes your eyes dry but this other one makes them sweaty and it just sounds exactly like somebody being difficult at a dispensary

lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

You are correct, they are locations (the number) and the substitution/mutation (the first letter is the original amino, the second one is the new one)

the outer ring here has all the codes, the inner three are combinations of DNA/RNA sequences to produce them

oh and their full names

Al! posted:

honey we gotta come up with more for the party tray than just guac

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON KISSING SMALL TURTLES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! :argh:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DickParasite posted:

For anyone not following the SAD thread about Boba Pearl's avatar doxing:

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtlicious.

:lmao:

holy gently caress it happened again :laffo:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ban everyone who posts in sad imho

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

to be clear my call for purging SAD is just insincere shitposting, but i'll knock it off and get back to wholesome covidposting

e: lol worst snipe

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've been reading through an interesting report on Wiley that got published last year. It is pretty drat long, and I haven't had the time to finish it yet, but it's been a very interesting read so far.

What were the historical reasons for the resistance to recognizing airborne transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic?

quote:

Abstract
The question of whether SARS-CoV-2 is mainly transmitted by droplets or aerosols has been highly controversial. We sought to explain this controversy through a historical analysis of transmission research in other diseases. For most of human history, the dominant paradigm was that many diseases were carried by the air, often over long distances and in a phantasmagorical way. This miasmatic paradigm was challenged in the mid to late 19th century with the rise of germ theory, and as diseases such as cholera, puerperal fever, and malaria were found to actually transmit in other ways. Motivated by his views on the importance of contact/droplet infection, and the resistance he encountered from the remaining influence of miasma theory, prominent public health official Charles Chapin in 1910 helped initiate a successful paradigm shift, deeming airborne transmission most unlikely. This new paradigm became dominant. However, the lack of understanding of aerosols led to systematic errors in the interpretation of research evidence on transmission pathways. For the next five decades, airborne transmission was considered of negligible or minor importance for all major respiratory diseases, until a demonstration of airborne transmission of tuberculosis (which had been mistakenly thought to be transmitted by droplets) in 1962. The contact/droplet paradigm remained dominant, and only a few diseases were widely accepted as airborne before COVID-19: those that were clearly transmitted to people not in the same room. The acceleration of interdisciplinary research inspired by the COVID-19 pandemic has shown that airborne transmission is a major mode of transmission for this disease, and is likely to be significant for many respiratory infectious diseases.

Practical Implications
Since the early 20th century, there has been resistance to accept that diseases transmit through the air, which was particularly damaging during the COVID-19 pandemic. A key reason for this resistance lies in the history of the scientific understanding of disease transmission: Transmission through the air was thought dominant during most of human history, but the pendulum swung too far in the early 20th century. For decades, no important disease was thought to be airborne. By clarifying this history and the errors rooted in it that still persist, we hope to facilitate progress in this field in the future.

It caught my eye because the graphic associated with the study looked really fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Aug 25, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

wtf chickenpox is airborne? gotta be droplet/airborne dichotomy im assumin

The CDC posted:

Transmission

Varicella is highly contagious. The virus can be spread from person to person by direct contact, inhalation of aerosols from vesicular fluid of skin lesions of acute varicella or zoster, and possibly through infected respiratory secretions that also may be aerosolized. A person with varicella is considered contagious beginning one to two days before rash onset until all the chickenpox lesions have crusted. Vaccinated people may develop lesions that do not crust. These people are considered contagious until no new lesions have appeared for 24 hours.

https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/hcp/index.html#transmission

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

except you’re not guaranteed to get Covid but you are guaranteed the vaccine with the mandates. never mind the disingenuous public messaging that the vaccines are perfectly safe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

in hindsight it was pretty messed up that the smallpox vaccine used to be mandated. It's not like you were guaranteed to get smallpox. And the vaccine had a distinct chance of loving you up!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Fungal Fun Facts: I don't remember where I read it, but the original designer of the board game Twilight Imperium contracted a fungal infection in his lungs because he wanted to save money with the printer to punch out and separate all the proof sheets for first edition, so he was sitting in a warehouse eight hours a day punching cardboard for like three weeks and inhaled enough paper dust that he got blastomycosis

I'm looking up information on blastomycosis on the Wisconsin Dept of Health Services website and am very amused with how they talk about it

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/disease/blastomycosis.htm

quote:

Blasto is an infection caused by the fungus Blastomyces.

Blasto is not spread from person to person.

Blasto is treatable with antifungal medications.

People who are sick and are concerned about Blasto should visit their doctor.

doc, i am very concerned about blasto

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

Dick Zout for Harambe

lmfao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

COVID response confounds SARS expert

Aug 24, 2023

quote:

“Long COVID syndrome occurs in at least 10 per cent of every infectious episode and may be as much as 30 per cent. Stop and think about that: if you get COVID twice a year, that’s a 20-60 per cent chance that you’re going to get long COVID. And the next year, it’s now 40-120 per cent.

lol this pandemic has been great at showing how smart people are garbo at statistics

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

when did Pillow Pants start working for BNO News?

0 cases in yellow, 1 case in purple, with several colors between those two points wtf :psyduck:

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Aug 30, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

loving yikes

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gentle soothing ripples of covid, ribbed for your pleasure

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nice, just in time for the updated XBB.1.5 vaccine that i won't be allowed to get anyways

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

welcome to neurotically opening and closing windows throughout the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Closed windows all day puts every room in my house at like 2500-3000, the ventilation at my place sucks rear end lol