Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Rick posted:

When people write about this they're going to write about it like the victorian era and people will be like "yeah they just didn't care about kids back then I guess."

where’s the lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1693271300460962195

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

to capitalism! the cause of, and solution to, all of society’s problems

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Baddog posted:

CVS just cancelled my Monday appointment because "they won't have it". Nice.

Ghost Cactus posted:

Had Sunday booster appointments at a CVS but they texted today to say they don’t have it yet.

we have the tools

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

emgeejay posted:

my mother-in-law was feeling sick this week. tested positive. she’s taken many rapid tests over the years but never tested positive before.

she tested negative the next day. so now assumes the positive test was faulty.

she would never assume any of the past, negative tests were ever faulty. but now will continue to operate as if she’s never had covid. even though she’s surely caught it at least one of the times it’s ripped through her community over these last few years. and even though she just tested positive.

sick with covid, not sick of covid

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Insanite posted:

the thing that i always wonder about in this sort of relationship conflict is what the divorce-utterer would do if their partner were disabled by covid.

stick with them, or get kind of pissed and jet eventually anyway as money gets harder and/or restaurants/cruises/competitive tongue tasting feels indefensible?

search your heart and you will know the answer

”I can’t deal with this forever, I have to live my life” (said after no more than a week)

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

Good thing we let everyone get this.

what you can’t see can’t hurt you
—CDC

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Pingui posted:

As Insanite alludes to: glaucoma -> loss of vision.

Is my (layman's) understanding.

she (CDC director) blinded me with The Science™

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

first move tengen posted:

On day 10 of my first infection and my only remaining symptom is a lot of congestion in my nose. It was a rough ride though. Even with my (probably thanks to pax) light symptoms, covid made me feel way worse than other times I've been sick. I'd hate to get it again so maybe this was the kick in the nuts I needed to more religiously avoid indoor dining despite social pressure to do it here in NYC. At least there's a lot of outdoor places here when you want to eat restaurant food. This all makes me feel confused though - why isn't this how most people respond when they catch covid? It's a terrible experience, so why wouldn't that influence everyone who gets it to try harder to avoid it afterwards?

“well that sucked, but at least I’m immune now and can do whatever I want with no consequences forever!”

“but what about repeat inf-“

with no consequences, forever

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

it's very funny that this entire screed doesn't even mention "oops we propagandized everyone that the disease itself is mild and nbd now and just a cold" as a reason why they might no longer want a medical intervention done to them about it

it's just ~feelings~

feelings which, you know, have no origin, no underlying or historical causes, they simply emerge from the ether within brains much as life emerges from sterile abiotic material whole-cloth

we have finally liberated ourselves from the shackles of cause-and-effect based reasoning. things happen. do they cause other things? are they caused by other things? who cares? just go with it, and eat Applebee’s

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

So some folks in Italy found measles got some few mutations that made the tests less sensitive to detect it.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.29.7.2400079

That's not a encouraging trend

??? it’s becoming so mild the tests can’t detect it. sounds encouraging to me

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

just waiting on the "what about the opportunity cost of not eating baconators" and "getting hit by a car is fine stop being splatterphobic" op eds

poo poo, this reminds me: did they ever release the 2022 numbers? or are they still MIA

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Authorities will keep minimizing and lying about the bird flu until entire towns get wiped out, and then the New York Times will publish an article explaining why entire towns getting wiped out is a good thing actually.

what did those towns ever do for the economy, anyway?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

spreading diseases is good, actually, so this sounds like a good plan to me, someone who is smart. we don’t want bird flu debt

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Consumption is very normal and also extremely mild

*economist perks up* consumption you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

tuyop posted:

I loving wish I could be inside any of these people’s minds for a moment lol

like how do you handle the dissonance of immediately ripping that mask off and heading to a pharmacy to cough on some grandma?

they’re telling themselves that meerkats don’t have a vaccine but grandma did (once, three years ago)