Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
a guy on a work call had to stop talking so he could cough and then he said "sorry my covid is killing me here." and I don't think he was being sarcastic.

he sounded like total dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Soap Scum posted:

oh but uhhhh careful maybe, drinking water too much/too fast is also legit dangerous. almost killed my music teacher once. good luck :')

One of those things you wouldn't think is dangerous, but it is. I once drank 15 litres of water over the course of a day and got hyponatremia. I ate pickles with extra salt poured on them and they tasted sweet because I needed the salt so badly. The doctor told me to eat a lot of ramen and canned soup.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

a guy on a work call had to stop talking so he could cough and then he said "sorry my covid is killing me here." and I don't think he was being sarcastic.

he sounded like total dog poo poo.

sorry I’m gonna need some kind of affidavit or something to the effect that this person is suffering these symptoms due to their infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. and it has to be PCR.

like how do you know they don’t just have allergies or maybe tuberculosis while testing positive for covid??? are you a doctor??? what is your motivation in sewing discord in our society this way?!?!? why can’t you be normal I’m normal

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
what

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

They're making jokes about the "you can't say somebody might have or have had covid" rule, because it is dumb

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a new rule against speculating people have covid, even when they have obvious covid symptoms. Saying "I have covid" is a symptom of covid

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Considering that IQ tests are regularly recalibrated to reflect the current tested mean I guess this is actually possible, you just have to make sure you lose less intelligence than the majority of the population. One weird trick to have higher than average IQ!

Edit: just in case anyone thought I was being completely serious, IQ tests are bunk for a variety of reasons. I've never done an IQ test and I don't ever intend to. But I do plan to avoid brain inflammation as much as possible

IQ tests are extremely good at measuring one thing: How good are you at taking tests?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
theres a singular thing that is causing widespread, societally statistically significant increases of certain conditions and outcomes far beyond what can be regarded as coincidence or statistical noise

but it's definitely NOT what results in those conditions and outcomes for any specific public figure, nor can we mull over whether it is, here in the thread about that singular thing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ok this new rule sucks and is stupid. the gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It should be illegal to say that this weather event or that weather event was “fuelled by climate change” unless you can point to peer‐reviewed attribution analysis stating the same.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think speculating if some young guy you know who suddenly had a heart attack might have been made more susceptible by having had covid five times is fine, but no one is ever, ever going to suddenly care about covid because Beyonce or Joe Biden dies of it and parasocial gossip posting is always garbage.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

make an appointment now for it, you can always cancel if it comes out but you might not have availability if you wait. I made appointments yesterday and they’re already booked into October. It’s not going to be like last time where they couldn’t give them away and things were plentiful

I took that advice, ty

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1488176683098284034

lol

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I spent the afternoon calling around western Washington trying to find any pharmacy or healthcare provider that was offering the new pediatric Covid shots for under-3yo. Not a single place had it. My kid is due for shot #2 of her two-dose primary Moderna series next week. Pediatricians office said they don't have anything now, and won't be stocking Moderna anymore. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

For a laugh, navigate to vaccines.gov and type in any zip code and select the 6mo vaccine filters. Not a single hit for 100 miles in NYC, Seattle, Portland, nor San Francisco. There are 4 places that supposedly offer it outside of LA.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
In the greater Seattle area, my local Walmart has Moderna in stock for adults. And plenty of appointments on their website. Hope that can help someone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Insanite posted:

I agree that it’s a little odd to assume this is related to COVID and not, say, Matt’s prodigious use of various substances, but I’m also not sure how to talk about things like this in the future where the following facts hold:

1. covid dramatically increases one’s risk of stroke and heart attack and other shocking, fatal things
2. famous(ish) people occasionally have serious issues like strokes and heart attacks

like, yeah, it’s dumb to say that every heart attack would not happen but for covid, but if we’re to live in a world where there are many more heart attacks than there used to be, where is the line as far as speculation goes? do you require a statement from friend’s and family implicating a recent covid infection? should there be a medical examiner’s report? is it just a matter of bad vibes? idk.

my parents both had clotting issues after covid. one died. I have no proof that covid caused those things. what would that proof even look like at this stage of the game? am I wrong to feel like covid probably contributed to what happened to them?

:shrug: you at least know your parents had covid. This was never about acquaintances or family members, fosborb added the rule after a bunch of mostly context-free tweets about things happening to celebrities. I'm not talking about Physics Girl openly discussing long covid either, I mean that I don't see the point of speculating about whatever this thing that happened to chapo trap house guy was, or what the undisclosed cause of sudden death was for that 72 year-old university president who may or may not have had covid at some point.

Psycho Society posted:

no one cares about your little scoldings dude

Cool, so you don't need to whine about it again.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

I hate those kind of studies. Like the other educational study posted previously, they never stopped and once considered that Covid itself could be a cause in of itself. We already know that Covid infects your brain directly since 2021!

since March 2020 actually. It was the thing that clued me in to how fuckin serious this is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pointlessly speculating about a dude's serious medical incident when they clearly don't want to be specific about it is really weird.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

my mother-in-law was feeling sick this week. tested positive. she’s taken many rapid tests over the years but never tested positive before.

she tested negative the next day. so now assumes the positive test was faulty.

she would never assume any of the past, negative tests were ever faulty. but now will continue to operate as if she’s never had covid. even though she’s surely caught it at least one of the times it’s ripped through her community over these last few years. and even though she just tested positive.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I had an appointment to get a booster at CVS but I got a text saying they don't actually have the vaccine yet. Is there a more reliable way to book booster appointments?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

rodbeard posted:

I had an appointment to get a booster at CVS but I got a text saying they don't actually have the vaccine yet. Is there a more reliable way to book booster appointments?

Might want to call them to see if they actually have it, the text I got was bogus.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

Might want to call them to see if they actually have it, the text I got was bogus.

This, alternatively try Walgreens, they seem to be on the ball as well.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Saagonsa posted:

Pointlessly speculating about a dude's serious medical incident when they clearly don't want to be specific about it is really weird.

yes. proper inappropriately personal parasocial behavior is being concerned about Matt's newborn due in the next week or two, which centers the famous person, rather than the disease to rack up a personal tally of injury

if you want to talk about higher incidents of specific medical conditions now that we are in the Age of Pestilence (a thing we should be discussing, I believe), great! link to those numbers and let's discuss trends, and what's contributing to them.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

euphronius posted:

I’m like symptom free after 48 hours of paxlovid

it’s the best drug ever

I felt my symptoms leave me within an hour of the first dose. loving mind blowing. Agreed, best drug ever

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

if someone goes to work ill with covid, infects a coworker and that person is either maimed or dies, is the infector a bio terrorist?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

toggle posted:

if someone goes to work ill with covid, infects a coworker and that person is either maimed or dies, is the infector a bio terrorist?

Morally and/or in terms of linguistic pedantry, probably not; you could theoretically be lovely, even malicious, without the intent or practical effect of terrorizing.

In practice, absolutely not, it's expected, that's Nature's Vaccine (tm), sickness is health, weakness is strength, we have always been at war with oceana

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Encountered some burning popcorn smoke, and now my mask smells terrible

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/1705370901351682116?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

I have been watching Matt's stuff for years now and greatly enjoy the content.

He did mention he has various discs and things in his signing off video from a few days ago.
So this is probably an escalation of that issue he is actively having checked out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5cPte9RFFw&t=4123s

But he also had covid for the first time in December 22.

Gildiss posted:

Cushbomb got got, but acknowledges the potential future owning of his immune system.

Up to around first 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMeye3sAZU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:dehumanize:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ment-overreach/ posted:

COVID surge shouldn’t close schools, says Biden Education secretary: ‘I worry about government overreach’

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona says schools should not be shutting down due to surges in COVID-19 and expressed worry about government overreach.

“I worry about government overreach, sending down edicts that will lead to school closures because either folks are afraid to go in or are infected and can’t go,” Cardona told The Associated Press.

Despite the new wave of COVID-19 cases, “schools should be open, period,” Cardona said, according to the AP.
(..)

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: just in case anyone thought I was being completely serious, IQ tests are bunk for a variety of reasons. I've never done an IQ test and I don't ever intend to. But I do plan to avoid brain inflammation as much as possible

Speaking as someone who has done an actual, administered-by-professionals IQ test and was classified a "gifted" kid because of it, they're absolutely bunk for a variety of reasons. At best they measure a very narrow definition of intelligence that's only really useful when you're in school. That speech Joel McHale gives at the end of the first episode of Community about getting by without having to try and then not knowing how to work hard was one of those "I'm in this picture and I don't like it" moments.

But I'm right there with you on the whole keepy-brain-worky thing.

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Sep 23, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Woodsy Owl posted:

I spent the afternoon calling around western Washington trying to find any pharmacy or healthcare provider that was offering the new pediatric Covid shots for under-3yo. Not a single place had it. My kid is due for shot #2 of her two-dose primary Moderna series next week. Pediatricians office said they don't have anything now, and won't be stocking Moderna anymore. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

For a laugh, navigate to vaccines.gov and type in any zip code and select the 6mo vaccine filters. Not a single hit for 100 miles in NYC, Seattle, Portland, nor San Francisco. There are 4 places that supposedly offer it outside of LA.

I've said it before, but I think that with the new system - where the risk of ordering too many doses are carried by the pediatrician/pharmacy - the quickest way to actually get a pediatric dose is to gather a bunch of like-minded parents. If you can remove the purchase risk by bandying together, you have a much more enticing offer to shop around with. This is particularly true in Western Washington, which may be one of the few places where this thread alone might be able to muster the required 10 dose minimum order.

I wrote out minimum orders and such in this post:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

oooo those rascally government edicts directly causing covid infections

wait

anyway thanks for all the good posts Pingui

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

fosborb posted:

yes. proper inappropriately personal parasocial behavior is being concerned about Matt's newborn due in the next week or two, which centers the famous person, rather than the disease to rack up a personal tally of injury

if you want to talk about higher incidents of specific medical conditions now that we are in the Age of Pestilence (a thing we should be discussing, I believe), great! link to those numbers and let's discuss trends, and what's contributing to them.

centering the virus while ignoring the humanity of the random celebrity / social media poster is para-antisocial?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i really do think that discussion of the normalization of covid-driven mass death and disability should be in bounds for the covid thread, but i'm just a random poster. i kind of think that's what that poster was getting at?

parasocial weirdness or going right to "celebrity must've got got! covid!" is less tasteful.

Platystemon posted:

It should be illegal to say that this weather event or that weather event was “fuelled by climate change” unless you can point to peer‐reviewed attribution analysis stating the same.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Sep 23, 2023

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The boundaries of taste are where they are in large part because of the normalization of mass death and misery.

It's that whole social front to the pandemic that was lost real real hard.

It's much more interesting to talk about at the higher level though - E: like how a focus on individual responsibility has made getting sick a personal failing and thus something shameful.

Buffer has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Sep 23, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: BA.2.86 data and analysis. Sorry that it is so long. Particular items worth noting in order of appearance: i) it is spread far and wide with no epidemiological link, ii) BA.2.86 has high ACE2 binding affinity, iii) in the sub-50 age cohorts apparently only women get tested in the UK, iv) global sequencing is weeks behind, v) the live virus assay showed much worse results than the pseudovirus, but has some caveats and vi) the UK is a petri dish of assorted variants.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cal-briefing-55 posted:

SARS-CoV-2 variant surveillance and assessment: technical briefing 55
Updated 22 September 2023
(..)
BA.2.86
As of 18 September 2023, there are 48 BA.2.86 sequenced cases in England, an increase of 11 cases in the last week.

Cases were found in:
  • the East of England
  • London
  • the North East
  • the North West
  • the South East
  • the South West
  • the West Midlands
Of 48 total cases in England, 10 were hospitalised (6 have unknown hospitalisation status), and no deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported. Most sequenced cases in England are people tested in hospital and the hospitalisation rate cannot be estimated from this data. These cases include 30 sequenced as part of an investigation into an outbreak in a care home which reported a high attack rate. Of the remaining 18 cases, all were sporadic apart from which 2 may be epidemiologically linked.
(..)
Neutralisation studies
Data from 4 UK labs shows neutralisation titres against BA.2.86 are slightly higher than titres against XBB.1.5 in 3 of 4 UK serum group data, and lower in one serum group.

ACE2 binding affinity data
Two international independent labs (Cao and Veesler) have shared preliminary ACE2 binding affinity measurements of BA.2.86. Published data is not yet available for these studies. BA.2.86 spike shows high human ACE2 binding affinity, in line with or above previous Omicron sublineages. Weak ACE2 binding affinity has previously been associated with more poorly transmissible variants (for example XBB) [ed. :confuoot:]; however, it is unclear if stronger ACE2 binding affinity is associated with greater transmissibility beyond a certain point.

Higher ACE2 affinity may allow the virus to tolerate further mutations while still maintaining the ability to transmit. It is important to continue to monitor BA.2.86 for further potential antigenic changes going forward.
(..)
Of 48 cases, 10 cases were hospitalised, 2 were tested in an emergency department, and 6 cases have unknown hospitalisation status. There were no known deaths due to COVID-19 among these cases. This data cannot be used to estimate a hospitalisation rate since most testing and genomic surveillance is among people in hospital.
(..)
Figure 1. Number of confirmed BA.2.86 cases by specimen date as of 18 September 2023

Figure 2. Age-sex breakdown of BA.2.86 cases as of 18 September 2023 [ed. BA.2.86 sexism confirmed]

(..)
Figure 3. Proportion of sequences uploaded to GISAID since 1 July 2023 that are identified as BA.2.86
Sequences are grouped by week of collection and coloured by world region. Sequence data from the UK has been shown separately to those from other European countries. Where the collection date is not available, the submission date has been used. The proportion of sequences which are BA.2.86 is indicated by the bar (left-hand axis). The total number of sequences in GISAID per week is shown by the black line (right-hand axis), and the total number of BA.2.86 sequences within each week is shown by the number above each bar. Data as of 18 September 2023.

Laboratory investigations
Neutralisation studies
(..)
In these data sets, neutralisation titres against BA.2.86 are slightly higher than titres against XBB.1.5 in 3 of 4 UK serum group data, and lower in one serum group [ed. the one using live virus...]. This suggests that the strength of antibody mediated protection against BA.2.86 in the UK population is likely to be similar than against the recently circulating XBB.1.5 variant.

Figure 4. Combined UK neutralisation assay data for serum groups
Serum groups tested are described in the text below. Serum group A is from the Screaton group at Oxford University, B from the Pirbright Institute, C from Vaccine Development and Evaluation Centre (VDEC) UKHSA, D from Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR). Pre and Post are Moderna pre- and post-titres for the whole cohort.

Supplementary data is not available for this figure.

Data set A is pseudovirus neutralisation data from 19 samples collected over the previous year, with a mixture of confirmed infection backgrounds.
(..)
Data set B is pseudovirus neutralisation data from samples from the CONSENSUS study, a UKHSA study of SARS-CoV-2 antibody levels in older adults. Participants had received 4 doses of monovalent Wuhan vaccine, followed by a fifth dose of Wuhan /BA.1 bivalent and a sixth dose of Wuhan /BA.4-5 bivalent.
(..)
Data set C is live virus neutralisation data using samples donated by UKHSA and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) staff members after routine vaccination. It should be noted that the assay used to generate this data had not been optimised and system suitability criteria were not in place. Genomic sequencing also showed the furin cleavage site (FCS) (s1/s2 boundary) has an unexpected amino acid change (681RWRAR). A further 3 virus isolates from additional samples are now available, none of which have the mutation at the FCS, and analysis is ongoing. The data was generated by members of the Pre-Clinical and Clinical Evaluation teams, both part of VDEC at UKHSA.

Data set D is pseudovirus neutralisation data from serum samples from 36 participants in the COVID-19 DeplOyed VaccinE Cohort Investigation (DOVE) study.
(..)
Variant prevalence
(..)
Figure 5. Prevalence of Pango lineages in the UK sequence data with a specimen date from week beginning 27 March 2023 to week beginning 4 September 2023, as of 14 September 2023

The total number of valid sequence results per week is shown by the black line. The ‘Other’ category in this plot contains all lineages that do not meet the relevant criteria after combining smaller sub-lineages. ‘Unassigned’ are sequences that could not be assigned a lineage by Pangolin. BA.2.86 and lineages present in at least 2% of sequences in the most recent week are labelled to the right of the plot.
(..)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Insanite posted:

i really do think that discussion of the normalization of covid-driven mass death and disability should be in bounds for the covid thread, but i'm just a random poster. i kind of think that's what that poster was getting at?

parasocial weirdness or going right to "celebrity must've got got! covid!" is less tasteful.

having read the past few pages pretty carefully I haven't seen anyone suggest that it's against the rules to talk about the larger implications of covid death and disability, or even under reporting of it in principle.

Bringing up Matt's situation in that context is weird as gently caress though. Like this, this is a super weird to point out in the current context.

Gildiss posted:

But he also had covid for the first time in December 22.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

having read the past few pages pretty carefully I haven't seen anyone suggest that it's against the rules to talk about the larger implications of covid death and disability, or even under reporting of it in principle.

Bringing up Matt's situation in that context is weird as gently caress though. Like this, this is a super weird to point out in the current context.

Yeah that was poorly worded on my part.
Only meant that yes, he has also had covid and said as much on his videos.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I read that as a response to eXXon saying to me, “you at least know your parents had covid,” TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I also have no idea what discussing larger implications looks like compared to quoting language used in a specific case that brings mass death normalization to mind. really does feel like a weather and climate distinction
to me.

I do not think the original post was doing parasocial weirdness. felt more like, “here’s yet another person who had an unexpected and serious health event, and the language in the announcement made my brain twinge in that now familiar way.”