Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The goon doctor covid thread isn't worth linking to - it has no posts since May 2020, so any information there is badly outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of things being dated, I had to visit an office earlier today and their sign-in sheet had tick boxes for people to attest that they did not have cold symptoms or had recently tested positive for covid. I was also the only person in the entire building wearing a mask

Went to a walk-in yesterday and they still had the sign saying "LET OUR STAFF KNOW IF YOU HAVE A COUGH AND HAVE TRAVELLED RECENTLY"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a good laugh: Some guy says that if your baseball coach demands you cut your hair short and have no facial hair, for no particular reason, you must conform. Then looking in replies, someone makes a comparison to mask mandates, and the OP replies "naw dawg...any person using the reasonable person standard can do an ounce of research on the effectiveness of masks and realize...they're not useful and actually dangerous."

Man, sometimes I wish I had the ability to turn off my brain like this, then I think about what the long-term consequences of being that dumb would be.

https://twitter.com/nextlevelbb/status/1694381140604326121

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Glumwheels posted:

When am I supposed to feel better? Some of my symptoms have gotten better, I don’t have the migraine or sharp stabbing pains in my head anymore. The fever has come down from 104 to 100.4 but I’m still having a fever, especially at night. I wake up drenched in sweat.

Also, still feeling weak and fatigued when I walk. I can’t do physical activity like cleaning without needing a break. My last day of paxlovid is tomorrow so after that I guess I’m going to rebound since I haven’t cleared this yet.

I’m able to work remotely fine, though, I’m doing it from bed.

Take it easy for four weeks after your symptoms pass; exercising after a bout of covid increases your risk of PASC.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's good article by Naomi Klein, about the pain of being mistaken for anti-vaxxer and famous idiot Naomi Wolf. Some fun imagery about being the "last Naomi standing".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Did this man live in Ohio but recently moved?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this is why all the pieces claiming that millennials will be such a long-lived generation compared to the people that came before are bullshit, we've got so much harmful consumption pushed at us and normalized in the name of the economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Greatest Generation end up the ones with peak life expectancy, they grew up and lived in a time when healthcare was affordable and people were still physically active.

I've never read an article claiming that. Millennial life expectancy was trending downwards even before covid, thanks to poor healthcare, high stress, obesity, and drug toxicity.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Platystemon posted:

That is in fact how the script handled it.

NWS

They stopped updating this a few months ago for some reason, but the last one is really funny.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pingui posted:

The smart solution is to distribute the sick kids across classes.

Thinking about the school that rotated kids every 14 minutes so that no one child would hit the legal limit of 15 minutes' exposure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hot witch divorcee posted:

oh hey new thread

glad everything is still mild and over

ive had the weirdest sinus infection of my life the past few days that feels nothing like what ive had before with colds and whatnot because i don't feel sick because it doesnt seem to be related to any kind of sickness, i am pretty sure i just got turbofucked with a bunch of pollen due to circumstances. never actively avoided airborne diseases for years at a time before, so its exciting learning about other kinds of maladies that can hit you.

its just like one symptom of what is usually a whole bunch (headache, sinus pain) and it reminds me that i hate it and its much more straightforward than a head cold or whatever, and that i really don't miss being sick with some respiratory nonsense. why did we ever put up with it

I've got something similar with an ear infection that has sucked for weeks now. Probably came from allergies, as I never tested positive for covid, but it's a terrible feeling. I love how I haven't gotten sick with any diseases for the past three and a half years, I'd rather wear a mask every day than have to deal with getting sick every six months.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Glumwheels posted:

It’s fascinating how they’re obviously seeing the impact of chuds dying from anti-vaxx nonsense and they continue to double down it.

The rate of excess deaths is higher in Republican states because of Democrat states faking their numbers

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fresh air? That's communist talk. HEPA filters are banned in classrooms because they're too distracting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

how long until a AAA video game has Covid as a plot point the way tuberculosis pops up in red dead redemption 2

An unusual wave of sickness has broken out in the overcrowded metropolis of [city name]. The origin of the illness is unknown. Some speculate it could be related to smog and pollution, while others say it could be something more dangerous. Or it could just be a spike in flu. In any case, more elderly are filling the city's hospital wards. Do you institute quarantine measures now or wait for longer?

Quarantine: +20 Science, -15 Money for 10 turns in [city name]

Wait: A deathly silence falls upon [city name] as the city is locked-down. Every sector of the economy suffers. -25 Industry for 10 turns

(From the 4X game Humankind)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Most people are aware at some level that covid should be treated more seriously than it is, but they aren't willing to make the changes to their lifestyle that would entail taking it seriously. When someone points out the dissonance between their values and actions, they just grin and hope the person stops talking.

pillsburysoldier posted:

My SO and I still mask but are LDR right now. They've been slowly pushing away support systems and friends that dont mask, even though said friends are states away from them, mostly on the basis of not masking is a positive affirmation of trying to kill disabled people and people who arent able to get vaccinated.

I work in person and am N95'd up and only got sick once because I trusted family that just decided to not mask upon air travelling but I'm worried about their march to entire self-isolation. Any tips or advice?

Your SO is right, but you're right that they're pushing themselves into isolation. If they acknowledge that they'll lose most of their friendships if they don't want to be friends with the insufficiently cautious, hopefully they'll realize that it's not a sustainable way to be. Like, I'm vegan and I think eating meat is wrong, but if I stopped talking to anyone who ate meat I'd have a much smaller social circle. It's kinda a fact you have to deal with that people will do wrong things out of convenience or laziness, and when those people are my friends, I ignore it as best I can.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pingui posted:

It is a general reference to the gleeful opening up of society during the pandemic. Gunshow Poophole (whom I think you are confusing me with) merely meant that in earlier days going to a wedding at all would have gotten some angry replies, while now everyone more or less just accepts that "you gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:"

Sounds like you are taking the precautions you feel are sustainable long term. You gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:

Also massive kudos for getting the school to put in extra HEPA filters, that is some good poo poo :)

Early days like 2020. Now we know how well N95s work, so pretty much everything is safe if you're properly resp'd up. As long as you aren't making a truce with covid to take the mask off inside for just ten minutes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The lockdowns were one of the greatest public health successes of the 21st century, saving millions of lives. But no politician will say this because it'll kill their re-election chances. The policies surrounding the lockdowns were also one of the largest upward wealth transfers in history. The inability to talk frankly about this is creating a vacuum that's being filled by the belief that covid wasn't a big deal, and that it was going to go away on its own if we hadn't reacted to it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

From Reddit:

Kid coughed in my face and now I’m on post exposure HIV meds.

quote:

If I don’t laugh I’ll cry.

Can’t believe that this actually happened today. You ever have such a rough day it ends with you getting a prescription for post exposure HIV meds? Because I just did. Kid coughed some blood into my mouth and the district had me go to urgent care for a full work up. I can’t loving believe it.

I’m getting drunk off my rear end tonight.

ETA: no, I don’t know the kid’s HIV status. I didn’t even know the kid’s name. So the doctor decided that it was best to take every precaution.

ETA2: kid had a bloody nose that dripped into his mouth, and he then coughed into my mouth and face.

The disconnect in public health policies is mind-boggling. Catching HIV from a random kid coughing in your mouth is virtually impossible - even if the kid had HIV, the chance of transmission from that route is less than 1%. Meanwhile, there's a grudging certainty that a teacher will be infected with COVID repeatedly as a standard occupational hazard. It has to have something to do with the stigma of HIV as a disease that only gay and indigent people get, while COVID is a disease that everybody gets.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

doesn't air kill hiv cells or something?

Oxygen kills the HIV virus but not instantly. The more important factor here is that HIV+ blood touching a mucus membrane has a less than 1% chance to cause infection, and the odds that child is HIV+ are incredibly low. But the doctors want this teacher to take PEP, which is very hard on the liver, just to cover their asses for that billion-to-one chance.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I ask for a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that's accurate-enough and won't break the bank?

Buy a Vitalight for $50 or an Aranet4 for $200. Each of them is much better than any other monitor at a similar price point.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In addition to the problems of repeated covid infections and chronic teacher shortages, so many American schools are hosed by chronic underfunding. Plus decades of curricula that were written by the lowest bidder, regardless of whether they actually work at teaching things. I've read about children with disabilities being told the school doesn't have the money to give them help, so they're given an IEP that says they'll thrive without any additional help. Teachers are expected to buy their own paper, and if they can't, they go without. Florida is hiring teachers with no qualifications at all, since they can't find anyone with a college degree who wants to teach for $30,000 a year.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Soap Scum posted:

oh but uhhhh careful maybe, drinking water too much/too fast is also legit dangerous. almost killed my music teacher once. good luck :')

One of those things you wouldn't think is dangerous, but it is. I once drank 15 litres of water over the course of a day and got hyponatremia. I ate pickles with extra salt poured on them and they tasted sweet because I needed the salt so badly. The doctor told me to eat a lot of ramen and canned soup.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a new rule against speculating people have covid, even when they have obvious covid symptoms. Saying "I have covid" is a symptom of covid

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think it's an easy opinions vs hard opinions thing. You can think whatever you want about most topics and it won't have any bearing on what you're doing with yourself most days. You open up a news website and there's all the day's stories, and you can feel very strongly about as many of them as you like all day long while going through your normal routine. You can go to that concert and grandma's house and everywhere else no matter how you feel about any of them, it's great and super easy.

One of the things about covid is that there's a kaleidoscopic array of easy opinions you can have that still fully allow you to do whatever the gently caress you feel like, and then there's a very small range of hard opinions that mean you actually have to do stuff. Because we live in a marketplace of ideas where everyone is free to choose a fully customized set of personal truths, the ideas that involve forgoing stuff end up being pretty unpopular. There are a bunch of variations on "it's fine to get on a plane while you have covid," there's one that says it isn't, and that one involves inconvenience, so nobody's going to pick it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Nothing like needlessly* drawing tens of thousands of people from across the country into gravely dangerous conditions while knowing better yourself.

* $$$

You don't become a billionaire by caring about the little people

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alberta has a good answer for when "covid season" is. In case you can't view tweets, this says "The current [respiratory virus] season starts on August 27, 2023 and ends on August 24, 2024."

https://twitter.com/GosiaGasperoPhD/status/1712579319879627006/photo/1

Chamale has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Oct 14, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Animal-Mother posted:

The army tries to get Rambo's commanding officer from the war to come tell him "It's over, Johnny!" but when they get ahold of his family they find out he died of a "sudden illness" at the age of 56.

In case you don't remember, that is how the movie starts. Rambo tries to visit a fellow veteran, and his widow tells him that he died of cancer that he contracted from Agent Orange exposure. Everyone in Rambo's squad is dead.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Funny prank: Tell someone that he should wear a mask around his teammates while he's sick. He actually fell for it! What a chump!

quote:

Several players played cards in the back of the plane, a common pastime for those who ply their craft in America's pastime. Mac Scherzer, who was dealing with a stomach bug, was one of those players. This, Jacob deGrom decided, provided the perfect opportunity to pull off an epic prank. DeGrom discreetly asked the flight assistant, Missy, to tell Scherzer to wear his mask if he's going to play cards so that no one else would get sick. Missy, per deGrom's direction, told Scherzer the request was coming from the Rangers manager, Bruce Bochy.

"He was probably cussing me out," Bochy laughed. "He actually wore it. He was respectful with everything. He put it on." 

"He wore it the whole freaking flight," said a teammate, who was only comfortable speaking about this very serious prank on the condition of anonymity. "Three hours. It was hysterical. Whole flight he's wearing it. We're all cracking up. He had no idea. No idea."

If Scherzer was actually sick with something contagious, this "prank" might have contributed to their winning the World Series.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I read the whole article and I don't get it. As in, I can't even squint my eyes and understand the "prank"/"joke". What am I missing?

Needing to wear a mask is inconvenient and awful, so he pranked his teammate by telling him the boss wants him to wear a mask so his teammates don't get sick!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Also they were all hosed up on amphetamines for a century until the league banned the practice in the late 90s

It was a memo that said "We have to test you guys for coke and amphetamines now, but we're not going to test for steroids :v:"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"In play, run(s)" is how baseball's website tells you that a team has just scored. This is probably norovirus, but it's funny to note that now that the outbreak is underway, the venue has started requiring servers to wear masks and gloves. The executives, of course, are allowed to keep breathing on each other as much as they want.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tuyop posted:

Canadians cannot access paxlovid

We don't have the tools :(

I'm not sure whether it's possible to get Novavax here in Alberta, but I am eligible for the XBB.1.5 vaccine, so I should go for that on the principle of "the best vaccine is the one that you can actually get"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I shared air with a person who later tested positive. How many days of no symptoms and testing negative until I can assume I'm in the clear?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

sister‘s friend brought her kids, who had a pet bird

Pretty good Thanksgiving

Smart little budgie, hanging out with the one person guaranteed to keep it safe from bird flu

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There was definitely awareness in 2020 that the Black community was being hit way harder by covid because of systemic discrimination and poverty, and that was a factor in the BLM protests. But now it's no longer seen as a justice or workers' rights issue, in part because of the normalization of covid so that everyone can get back to their normal routines.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RandomBlue posted:

we uh... killed some santas

Mall Santa remains the deadliest legal profession in the US by a wide margin, easily outstripping lumberjacks, teachers, and active duty military.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

shazbot posted:

wish I had that “just lie” comic to post, but idk if that even works any more

I hope Rubby is doing well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

euphronius posted:

lol
Jesus that delta wave was a doozy

The delta wave, which killed hundreds of thousands of Americans, is the little spike right before the giant mountain. That mountain is Omicron.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

hey you know that 9 month cruise I posted about a couple days ago?

you’re not gonna believe this, but

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7315573144062922026

It's an experiment to see how many times the same strain of covid can infect a population. It's not possible to test in the real world because it mutates so quickly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Merry Christmas, thread friends. I hope you all stay safe over the holidays and in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

Horton Perturbs The WHO