Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i haven’t looked very hard but I’m just gonna say "no there isn’t". the number of children boosted is vanishingly small, enrollment and control of any study is extremely difficult, and the interest in evaluating ongoing / "novel" efficacy has waned. there’s insane confounds given administration date, generally understood waning of circulating antibodies, etc. the new prevailing strains are divergent enough for it not to matter anyway.

very generally: any recent shots seem to provide at least Some (unquantifiable) protection against severe disease, long Covid, and death.

I also want to make it abundantly clear to you and all posters that your kids (or you yourself!) having Covid before DOES NOT MATTER. each subsequent infection is worse, any given infection provides transient partial protection at best, and the window looks to be roughly 4-6 months. this is similar to how it works for betacoronaviruses generally and the line of "hybrid immunity" has been an incredible falsehood from the outset.

it’s a tough situation right now. a current booster probably won’t do much, but it might, and if you can finagle the new one immediately, it doesn’t look like there’s much to LOSE from getting them an available shot now.

I posted this in the last thread, study on mixing vs matching, novavax booster effectiveness vs pfizer in adolescents.

quote:

In summary, this study shows that heterologous and fractional dose COVID-19 vaccine schedules studied are well-tolerated and immunogenic in adolescents. BNT-10 demonstrated a highly favourable reactogenic profile, however, it elicited the lowest peak immune response. Although BNT-10 neutralising activity against Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 variants was comparable to BNT-30, BNT-10 participants were more than twice as likely to have a self-reported ‘breakthrough infection’ compared with BNT-30. NVX demonstrated the highest peak humoral and cellular immune response and had a comparable reactogenic profile to BNT-30. Furthermore, NVX elicited the highest neutralising activity against BA.1 and BA.2 and demonstrated a reduction in risk of self-reported ‘breakthrough infection’ during an Omicron predominant wave.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(23)00330-4/fulltext

The number of participants is small though (they say they were trying for more, but changes in govt policy "necessitated a change to the study design resulted in fewer participants recruited than originally planned". But it is at least encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

redreader posted:

About the new boosters: I read somewhere that the new boosters would just be last year's boosters again but unsure if that's real or not. if that's the case though then I think it's better to get them right now for myself, since my kid just started school. I suppose kids can't get another bivalent yet?

Updated boosters are coming out very soon (hopefully ~6 weeks). They are not just last years bivalent formula, they will be updated against a more recent strain, and monovalent.

Apparently they should be available for kids. At least the manufactures are allowing pediatricians to order them right now.

All of this is contingent on not having the rug pulled in various ways, so it sucks to try to give advice right now. Personally we are waiting, because I didn't think the old bivalent offered much additional protection at this point, and I want us all to get the new version asap, instead of having to wait however many months will be mandated in between shots.

But we're still masking indoors, so maybe not feeling quite as worried about the next couple of weeks.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Poppers posted:

A covid exposure per day for the immune system and a troll post per day for the brain. Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Which obviously doesn’t apply to any of you transsexual bitches.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few high risk eggs

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Buffer posted:

I remember digging into this, specifically and finding it was basically a game of telephone from the Kellogg era that had welded itself into the profession like "black people don't feel the same level of pain" had.

I was lazily wondering if anyone else still has all that spun up. We stopped talking about it as much once the WHO acknowledged it was airborne.

Good paper on it.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ina.13070

More accessible wired article.
https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

Unexpired lucira 6% false positive rate

I believe you are mixing up sensitivity and specificity (it happens, I don't use it all the time so I always have to double check I'm remembering what is what).

I see 6% false negative, 2% false positive.

But yes, a false positive can and will happen to everyone eventually if you test enough. Always verify that positive.

Edit: Can't actually find it on their website now because its all been shuttered, but here was a story referencing those claims, and I see that 6/2 in a couple places.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-authorizes-first-home-covid-19-test-gives-users-results-n1248069
Another:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/04/1024450/at-home-covid-test-review-accuracy-binaxnow-lucira-ellume/

Baddog has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Aug 17, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Request to Nebraska DOEE sent.

Some states seem to be a lot more friendly about public records requests than others.

Nebraska does say they bill hours, so this *could* get expensive.

https://ballotpedia.org/How_much_do_public_records_cost

Baddog
May 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

Which is just interesting that Paramore would postpone multiple shows in 2022 and directly say it's covid to lie about it now.

Perhaps they lost a lot of money from doing that last year. In any case, I think we can all agree that there is a lot more newspeak going around. And it is very hard to get actual data on anything anymore.

Anyways, getting my colonoscopy prep lined up. The email did say to wear a mask when you show up, lol. We see how this goes.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Heh, maybe we can just edit the first post on every page to include the upcoming vax info, as best we know it.

New Moderna/Pfizer and hopefully Novavax boosters are coming out hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks ("end of september"). They will be monovalent, targeting the XBB.1.5 variant. Hopefully will be available to everyone, although how much insurance will cover and how the uninsured will be able to get them is still unknown. Hopefully they will also be available for children, at least moderna is allowing pediatricians to order them. Maybe want to call your kid's doctor to express interest.

The various government agencies seems to be expecting everything to just come together in the next couple weeks with apparently little to no coordination/communication. I'm going to be a little amazed if it actually does.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
wrt paxlovid, the underlying issue for me is that this thing has become SO politicized that on the one hand we have the government (and drug companies) telling us to just get paxlovid, "use the tool". And on the other hand, a metric shitload of doctors are incredibly reluctant to do so, for whatever reason.

I did bring it up with my former PCP, and he said "I dunno what the guidelines even are right now, we'll just have to look when you get sick and see what the company says then mmmkay". Also unprompted, he popped out some line about "nobody knows how pandemics work" and started going off on a weird tangent??? Now, fortunately, I did have the ability to find a new in-network doctor. But not everyone has that sort of insurance, or even the time to go sane-doctor-shopping. And even with my new doctor, trying to get a prescription from her within a few days (especially over the weekend) is pretty low chance. That *normally* wouldn't matter, but when you are supposed to start the drug within 5 days of symptom onset, and it takes 2 days to get PCR results and 3 days to get an answer from your doctor.... it's going to be real tight.

The teledoc systems can be helpful in those scenarios. But they are also populated with ivermectin dispensers, so it is useful to know that official covid high risk criteria includes things like having a BMI > 25.

Yes, please have the "if I get covid will you give me paxlovid" conversation with your actual doctor ahead of time, not just the forums (if you are lucky enough to have an actual doctor). And discuss any real issues like drug contraindications or liver/kidney issues with them. The time to talk about it is when you are healthy, not when you are feeling like absolute poo poo and stressing out.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

I appreciate your posts!

And it did make me feel better to know you got the NE wastewater information relatively quickly. My cynical side was convinced they would bill you for several thousand dollars!

Interesting that they show a drop in eg5. Wastewater data does seem to be *extremely* variable, maybe contingent on just a few super-shedders? I haven't seen much discussion on that.

Sentinel testing in Colorado has eg5 at 30% as of the end of July.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

CGI Stardust posted:

... kind of intrigued by the significant (albeit small) increase in dysautonomia

Good to see pretty steady decreases in everything else. Even though plenty is still elevated, even after two years! But would feel a lot better if *everything* was ticking down. Dysautonomia is no joke.

Wonder how going forward they will find enough unexposed people to use as a baseline. Or even people with only one case over X number of years.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

fosborb posted:

speaking of, can pharmacists still prescribe pax? did anyone actually do that?

I tried to help someone in Colorado get it through a pharmacist when "test to treat" (right there in the grocery store next to the bread) was the big thing. The pharmacist wanted them to go get the whole panel of liver and kidney function tests first. Which, fair enough. But they needed a doctor to get that ordered (and more days). They just gave up.

Probably works ok if you have a copy of recent labwork.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Lib and let die posted:

imagining my wife explaining this thing to parents in her room lmfao

I'm gonna pro-post by skipping a bunch of pages, but I did see lasko is selling a fan+filter combo now. Which gets around the whole "mad scientist created this" duct-taped look, or the "holy poo poo why are you still running hepa filters in here, the pandemic is over dumbass!" This can just be passed off as "goddamn its hot/humid in here, trying to get some air moving". Should put a MERV13+ into it instead of the filter it comes with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089P1Z38J

Sure, it's not gonna filter 100% of the room immediately, but it is way better than nothing. I'm pondering trying to donate some of these to our school, because I think all the hepa filters came out this year. Anyways, good luck to us all in getting way sick as few times as possible this year.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hmm, I actually don't know anything about the DO requirements, let me do some reading....

2nd result from google:

quote:

...we became more familiar with our classmates in an almost intimate way. Whether it was the first time awkwardly palpating the piriformis muscle or sacrum of a female classmate or the gracilis muscle of a male classmate...

OK, nice, awkwardly palpating the piriformis of the females.... yah let me check and make sure everyone at our doctor's practice has an MD.

https://www.prospectivedoctor.com/healing-power-of-touch/

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Colonoscopy trip report in case anyone else is due.

-"wear a mask" at the top of their email instructions was very dated, lol. I was the only one.
-I believe every butt doctor in Colorado works for the same company now, and they have it down to a streamlined science. Huge crowd of middle aged and older folks being herded through the pens on our way to getting probed.
-old (older-than-me) guy in waiting room wearing a comically absurd amount of flag-attire tried to give me the eyeball, but I flipped his table and that was that.

Good news
-nurse asked me if I wanted them to wear masks for the procedure, and they were very cool about it
-she did ask why ("doctor will want to know"), and it sucks to have to do the whole woe is me song and dance for an accommodation, but I think it was sincerely out of concern for health complications. Not "we don't believe you".
-anesthesiologist just had me pull my n95 up over the oxygen before putting me out. And I woke up with it on tight.

So pretty good all things considered. Small polyps were pruned, got ahead of the colon cancer. Get it done if you are supposed to.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pre-existing conditions

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Phigs posted:

Actually not sure if he literally pipebombed a cow, that could be goon telephone, but the below goon was talking about it and some people were even egging him on. I read a bit of it but it was pretty crazy and he was talking in code and... yeah its weird so I checked out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=189869

Hah! But hey, if the point is "exaggerating posts for lols and drama is bad", maybe don't engage in it as well.

That guy was perma'd because you just can't even joke about something like that. Not because there is actual evidence that any cows were harmed in the making of those posts, unless I'm missing something.

But it becomes "the climate thread had a pipebomber", because that makes the story interesting and funny. All the detail you need to be accurate is boring, so goons just loving skip that poo poo. Sure, it sucks if you're on the receiving end of it.

edit, for context I should prolly link the original post. Not trying to call you out in particular, just pointing out the general poo poo we all kinda fall into.

Phigs posted:

.... like that idiot that pipebombed a cow or whatever the gently caress in the climate thread because they supposedly doomposted themselves into doing it....

Baddog has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Aug 24, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Phigs posted:

You for real? You think me saying

and

Is me asserting anything? Do I sound confident of the facts? Does it look like I'm going after the climate change thread?

"or whatever the gently caress" "supposedly" "actually not sure" "could be goon telephone"

I was clearly using an example I had only heard about. When it was used in SAD to justify why this thread is such a problem btw.

And I tracked down and posted the actual receipts so other people could confirm what actually happened instead of just taking my shaky word for it.

I gotcha. I added an edit up there a minute or so ago because I think it did sound like I was coming directly at you - "Not trying to call you out in particular, just pointing out the general poo poo we all kinda fall into."

Baddog
May 12, 2001

quote:

"Some kids have had pretty significant illness with this," said one California physician. "On the other hand, some kids have mild coldlike symptoms.

"mainstream" news sources can be informative, but on the other hand ....

Al! posted:

honey we gotta come up with more for the party tray than just guac

lol

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

It's a cohort study that closed to recruitment in May 2020 alas. I will post here if any new study opportunities that people might be well suited for become available.

Don't tell the study team I said this but you can very lightly touch the stubborn blood drop to the card to break the surface tension. I have the same problem and I do this every time and it's never invalidated my results. The issue is people mashing their fingers against the card which can mess the samples up somehow.

Edit: also do not feel guilty about asking for a second set of collection materials. We routinely have people who need 3, 4, or even 5 tests before they are able to get a sample. This is factored into the study budget.

Good advice, I would have been worried to ask for more collection materials too. But I bet they are much more concerned about getting the data.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

This is good stuff. Hopefully more and more data like this can keep pushing to add ventilation/filtration. Instead of the "it's so loving contagious, there is nothing we can do, so whatever" line of thought.

Schools are "cellmate is infected" level of exposure though, so bleah.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The attitude among some that you should just act like there is no pandemic, but chug some pax when you do get sick, is contributing to a lot more use of paxlovid than anything else.

But that is overwhelmingly counteracted by the crushing preponderance of "pax has too many side effects*, you shouldn't take it unless X and Y and Z". Therefore the demand for the drug just isn't there, they aren't making much of it now because there is no demand, and most of it that was ordered is expired.

The tiny fraction of people who are still concerned about covid enough to want to get a box of pax ahead of time is vanishingly small. But in any case, both rave-paxxers and doomers are keeping demand from completely flat-lining, so hopefully more will get made here soon. And there is still pax out there, hospital supply chain managers have to start prioritizing keeping poo poo in stock instead of just-in-time optimization for a few more pennies.

*seems like most are worried about icky taste and "rebounds", which is dumb as poo poo. But I'm personally not excited about taking a set of drugs which inhibit liver function, for any amount of time. So still trying to just not get covid.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Fur20 posted:

no way what a dumb rear end he can't even do statistics! additive risk percentage??? smdh

I'm p good with calculating odds. But everyone's eyes glaze over when you do the actual calculation. Sometimes it's easier just to do the 10%+10%+10% thing.

Getting yourself quoted in a paper doing that though.... gently caress.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

bobtheconqueror posted:

Honestly more surprising they didn't have them signed in advance.

You'd think that anything signed *while bad thing is actually happening* wouldn't be binding. There's an implicit threat there.

In any case, good luck goon.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
nexous, you made me do some research... this isn't anything like injecting contrast into the wrong place, but when I went under last week the propofol burned like *hell*. Never had it feel like that before.

I guess I'm old enough that I was just "ehhh whatever I don't think I'm dying they'll figure it out zzzzzzz", and then afterwards was just glad it was all over. But it looks like *normally* they put some lidocaine in to avoid the burn? I guess this anesthesiologist just rawdogged me! Maybe there is a lidocaine shortage, lol. Or with the opioid crisis, *anything* that takes the edge off is just verboten now? Pain is good for us, purifies the soul.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

fosborb posted:

(more if you're over 45)

Man you weren't joking about that. 6k!!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Petey posted:

hosed with the start of semester; covid going around and the student email lists are lighting up urging each other to mask and test, but none of them can find free antigen tests anymore

Medical center isn't testing anymore? Or even distributing the rapids?

(And no, haven't missed any big updates)

Baddog has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Aug 30, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
recent Fauci BBC interview

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66643426

We're gonna go through more surges, its not seasonal, but almost everyone has some degree of "herd immunity" and (minimizingly) "the vulnerable will fall by the wayside". I swear to god I can remember that in 2019 saying poo poo like that would have been shocking as hell to people.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'll set another over/under at -0.5 years for all Americans in 2022, but heck they're ten days late and counting this year.

Apparently its all the smoke from canada that caused people to die earlier this year.

(I'm joking, but looking for ETA on life expectancy data, google is giving me articles from this week about smoke/pollution impacting life expectancy)

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibr...ifornia-report/

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

late response but: remember negative pressure is your friend. pop a fan in an open window and blow that air out.

Just to be sure, negative pressure in sick room, positive pressure in clean room.

Fan pointing outside in the room with the virus, air moves out of the house.

Fan blowing from outdoors into the room you want to keep safe.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
At our school 2 kids in a van on a school trip tested +, so they said everyone who rode in that vehicle should wear a mask for a week.

Ehhh, I'll take whatever we can get at this point.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
"experts will vote on efficacy" is such a weird way to put it. As if something that can be quantitatively measured is just a matter of opinion now.

(Yes I know they are supposed to be debating if they believe the studies, if the data was gathered appropriately, etc. )

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

.... other sources were saying the space had “color changing LED lights”....

Laughing at the thought of the White House situation room blinking like a 12 year old's gaming rig, as they show missile cam videos.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
well good news on the mrna boosters, hopefully tomorrow is rubber stamp and we can get them asap.

Was really hoping to get novavax, but if there isn't news here soon, think just going to grab the mrna for everyone. School is loving overflowing with virus.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is crazy what the hell

Ehh, you can prolly keep the appointment and hope that they have the right stuff by then.

Might be smart actually to look around to book something! Although I'm kinda hoping my local public health has already ordered some in (orders were open a month ago!) and we can trundle down there tomorrow.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Should be able to just pony up the 120 and get a shot whenever I want now. I thought this was america.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Google sucks*

Anyone see if the moderna pediatric (6 months to 11 year old) dosage for this one is different than the adult? Pediatric seems to be 0.25ml, but I don't see the updated adult dosage anywhere. Less than a month away from 12, feels weird to give him the same size shot as a baby.

https://assets.modernatx.com/m/2cbc...-US-English.pdf

*just drowning in a sea of old vaccine (dis)info

Baddog
May 12, 2001
CVS not allowing me to schedule for my kid. Called the local and they said it was for 12+. uhh..... dude I'm pretty sure it was authorized for 6 months+

"well, we'll know more when we actually get it in".

Same answer for asking what the difference in dosage is between pediatric and adult-sized. (I guess because they are operating under the assumption there is no pediatric dosage, heh).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

Regarding pediatric doses and such, the AAP has this article with some helpful links at the bottom:
https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/25869/CDC-approves-updated-COVID-19-vaccines-for

The first link goes to a CDC presentation (p. 136), which calls the dosing "proposed":
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

The second link goes to a page that says:

Both of which makes me think that perhaps pediatric dosing hasn't been entirely decided.

The Oldest Man posted:

According to the new CDC slides, the updated 23/24 shot dosing for >12 years are 0.5mL for Moderna and 0.3mL for Pfizer, which I think is the same as it has been. The pediatric dosing for Moderna appears to be 0.25mL while Pfizer is still 0.3.

e: it's on slides 141 and 142 here if you're curious https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

Huh interesting if pfizer is giving the same dosage across the board. Makes things simpler for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SardonicTyrant posted:

2. Redefine your goals.
3. Find joy and gratitude where you can. ...

Yah this poo poo sucks.

She is never gonna be "oh poo poo I was wrong". It's just "we all have to learn to live with how this is now, and if you can't you are just a sad little grinch".