Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb, you might want to add the hardcase P100 filters to the OP for the non-SecureClick respirators
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000057584/

I think it's helpful for people to have a list of primary vendors too for ease of use - i.e. https://www.zoro.com is typically the best place to get elastomeric respirators and filters, and https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com the best place to get 9210+ auras.

Also, this is a big one - "COVID is airborne" isn't mentioned in it anywhere from what I can tell and that should be one of the major points. "COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke" is accurate and a very effective way for people to understand the situation. So many people outside of the thread really don't understand this.

IMO the bit about surgical masks should be changed because it overlooks the fact that COVID is airborne - on top of not protecting the wearer, they won't protect anyone around them. They're not PPE, period.

You honestly might want to include a link to the John Snow Project, they have so much information delivered in a very clear way and it's all sourced.
https://johnsnowproject.org/

Congrats / Sorry about your new position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Thinking about Eat Out to Help Out. Thinking about how now every day is Eat Out to Help Out.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My doctor told me I can't let Carrousel Anxiety Disorder control my life, Renewal is mild now.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

get on Apple health it's been useful for me

Seconding this if you're able to, Apple Health is fantastic.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Lacrosse posted:

I don't know if I can this year, I've made too much money and open enrollment isn't until what, like November? I have a friend of a friend who is a doctor and can get me health insurance info so I'll reach out to them for tips.

I'm pretty sure if your situation changes (quit / lose your job, lose your health insurance, etc.) you can get on it immediately. You might want to give them a call (and if you get someone who's a dick about it, try again).

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Indoor Dying posted:

I feel like the low and slow video should be in the OP too still. So much useful info is gone

Yeah, people really don't understand this, the video is extremely helpful.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
COVID is over

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1692270054573056501

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

Speaking of reporting data, just check out that pop up on the WHO dashboard lol

https://covid19.who.int/

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

DominoKitten posted:

CDC is on the case

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1692326710262304890?s=20

If you scroll down far enough on their linked safety suggestions, you can even see these rogue government elements recommending N95s, where nobody pays attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Wow. Wearing respirators? Moving previously indoor activities outdoors? Air filtration? They sound pretty insular over there at the CDC, someone should report them for generating mental illness.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

Heard back from a lawyer at Nebraska DHHS about the state COVID wastewater records:

I will make a request to the Nebraska DOEE next I guess.

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Everything is vibes-based, most decision-making both personal and social is Wile E. Coyote refusing to look down while walking off the cliff. The economy, the insurance industry, public health, everything is in this delicate meta-stasis where a majority of people and policy-makers are wary of looking too closely lest they have to acknowledge anything bad is happening, and things are not quite yet bad enough for this to result in obvious and routine negative consequences for the most well-off, who can indeed afford or otherwise have access to personal doctors and paxlovid at market rates and improved ventilation.

Wachter repeatedly acknowledges real-world consequences and poo poo being hosed before immediately pivoting to 'and that's why no one should do anything about it, least of all me, a guy who has repeatedly gotten hosed over and hosed over people around me by failing to react to the situation'. I fully believe that this is an emotional defense mechanism, to not feel as though he was ever wrong or needs to feel bad so long as he can avoid acknowledging it. As has been repeatedly discussed in these threads, historically things have to become AMAZINGLY bad before socially-reinforced denial responses falter, unfortunately.

Terminology tango. 'Protected' and 'immune' have been interchangeably used in reference to the vaccines to an absurd degree, and it's sometimes hard to say exactly how people are misusing the terms when they do, as a result. Covid vaccination does provide SOME protective effects for at least four to six months for most people; I would personally say this is not enough to gently caress around with probable double-digit odds of long covid effects, much less the possibility of spreading a disease that could kill my loved ones, but that's largely excluded from most discussions of covid transmission at this point and it's treated as a wholly impersonal force of nature for which a person is not responsible even if they knowingly spread the disease in spite of having the privilege and resources and knowledge not to do so. Public health is a social problem, but it's abandonment and decrepitude also shouldn't be an excuse for willingly playing the role of Typhoid Mary.

i understand i am largely just performing a distorted echo function here to what you're already saying; why yes i am grouchy about the abandonment of public health and the disabled and immunocompromised why do you ask

Real Mean Queen posted:

My read with Wachter is that this stopped being practical and became ideological for him at some point. He’s like the old joke about how to survive a bear attack, you don’t need to outrun a bear, you just need to outrun your slowest camping buddy. Protected for him does not mean protected, it means more protected than the least protected person he can imagine. It doesn’t matter that his poo poo doesn’t work and it doesn’t matter that he knows that, because somebody else’s poo poo works even worse and he believes that this is graded on a curve. You can see this is a pretty popular mindset if you look at the booster numbers.

Good posts

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Look, people take one in a thousand risks all the time, and it’s fine. It’s comparable to driving a mere quarter of a million miles. Who doesn’t do that once or twice per year?

Maybe you don’t, but surely you go hang gliding ten times per month, right? No one would consider you a daredevil for doing that.

lol

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Toxic particles in the air? Consider wearing pants.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

My wife has COVID, 1 year after getting it the first time. She’s fairly sick, she took a test yesterday and it was a negative test and she took a test today after she noticed she stopped being able to taste food.

Any tips on how to get her paxlovid?

Ugh I'm sorry.

It was so, so easy to get Paxlovid here:
https://sesamecare.com/medication/paxlovid

No lying of any kind required. An easy minute long phone call and we had a Paxlovid prescription called in before we were off the phone.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Nothing really new to most people here, but here's a big Paxlovid thread with a bunch of handy links to give to difficult doctors / pharmacists.

https://twitter.com/findmeabluebird/status/1692975701752729635

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

What’s the listerine for? How do I obtain that nose spray in the US?

It seems as if using listerine and/or a nasal spray increase your chances of not getting infected. That specific spray is hard to find in the US, but here's another one that's available on Amazon that a number of people here have gotten: https://www.amazon.com/Flo-Travel-Nasal-Spray-20mL/dp/B07KPRNYHZ/

Here's a big post from the last thread on the topic:

Phlag posted:

A good overview of the use of nasal sprays and mouth washes as they relate to COVID-19 is the Recommendation of the German Society of Hospital Hygiene (DGKH): Prevention of COVID-19 by virucidal gargling and virucidal nasal spray. They give an overview of the long history gargling and nasal sprays have in preventing respiratory diseases similar to COVID-19, as well as more modern studies looking specifically at their impact on SARS-CoV-2, and ultimately provide recommendations for the general population.

It's a pretty accessible read, but to really condense it: they believe there is evidence that certain types of mouth rinses and nasal sprays are effective in both preventing infection (pre and post exposure) and lessening severity/shortening of COVID-19 symptoms, and that these substances have no significant side effects. They basically recommend:
  • Gargling with mouthwash (with a PVP-iodine rinse, alcohol + essential oils (Listerine Cool Mint), or essential oils (Listerine Cool Mint Zero Alcohol)) for 15-30 seconds 3 times per day, as well as after any high risk exposure (a meal, family gathering, in-person meeting, etc.)
  • Nasal sprays (with PVP-iodine or iota carrageenan) 2 times per day, as well as after any high risk exposure
They did not review any research on NONS (Enovid-style) nasal sprays.

In the US, Betadine Antiseptic Medicated Gargle is an accessible PVP-iodine-based mouth rinse. The article also provides instructions on how to make your own. Listerine is obviously super cheap and even more accessible. They recommend Listerine Cool Mint specifically, but any mouthwash with alcohol and/or essential oils is probably fine.

I'm not aware of any PVP-iodine nasal sprays in the US. Flo Travel Spray has been mentioned in this thread a decent amount, and it's a pretty cheap iota carrageenan spray, and it's made by a reputable company.

Going beyond what's in the DGKH review, there are a few trials that tried to evaluate the true preventative effect of nasal sprays clinically. But they are all flawed and should be taken with a grain of salt:
Make no mistake: a well-fitted N95 or better mask is essentially 100% effective. Mouth washes and nasal sprays might get you around 60-80%. But if you have the money, I think they're worth doing both as preventative measures and to reduce symptom severity and duration after infection. Especially as more reasonably intelligent and risk-averse folks in this thread seem to be at a point where they are going to participate in some occasional unmasked activities, or live with people who will.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1692888863746801685
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-treating-kids-as-invulnerable-is-treating-them-as-disposable

I'm kind of shocked something like this got into a newspaper.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Don't hoard the finite supply of Paxlovid, the personal prophylactic for raving

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I'm obviously not an expert and not really sure what to advise, but from what I understand it's better to take Paxlovid sooner rather than later - like, the approved window is 1 to 5 days, but there's nothing magical going on that makes all five days equivalent. The whole point is that it stops viral replication, and kind of by definition it's better to stop the virus replicating right away than it is to let it build and get a foothold in and damage your body for four additional days.

Really sorry you can't get ahold of your doctor and that the on call one won't help you, this system is absolutely enraging.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Harik posted:

The schoolyear started with a bang.

Ugh I'm really sorry. Hope you all of you recovery quickly without any longterm symptoms. This society is trash, real cool how people who don't want COVID and are doing everything right still get needlessly pushed into it.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Thank you for saving this, I thought it was lost to time.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected."

It's not going to be free soon, and it's expected to be priced at the equivalent of nearly two weeks of work for minimum wage workers.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

exceptional timing to remind posters who don't read that there was Actually Real discussion of "stockpiling" or "hording" anything

there was! Rosalind said so!!

Exactly, nobody is "stockpiling" Paxlovid or encouraging anyone to blindly take it. It's once again a narrative manufactured by the people looking to get this thread shut down. They're deliberately and disingenuously interpreting casual language in the most bad faith way possible. It's "Lisa's going to marry a carrot" horseshit.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rosalind posted:

Nearly every post I make here is interpreted in the most bad faith way possible so welcome to the club it sucks.

I'm not talking about you fwiw.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Can't believe a bunch of liberals are calling for decorum from people who are being crushed by policy.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Shut down the succ thread, they're sounding pretty unhinged about Democrats.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
lol at ibid's probation. They (Poppers, 16 BB, lald, etc.) literally have a thread where they discuss trolling and trying to get this thread shut down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Phigs posted:

I think, ultimately, people are just going to have to accept that this thread is going to be skeptical of medical authorities. We've seen doctors prescribing Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine and all sorts of quackery. We see doctors recommend against masking in public. We've seen doctors recommend cloth masks over n95 respirators. This whole entire pandemic is multiple levels of authority and the medical field showing its rear end. We're living through a horrifically, horrifically mismanaged pandemic. Listen to doctors is just bullshit in this climate.

It's a good idea in general to listen to medical practitioners. But there needs to be a place to discuss the possibility that individual doctors are wrong. There are lines that should not be crossed, but I think we can attack those as they come. I don't think a blanket rule of trust doctors is good for the thread. If someone comes in here saying their doctor prescribed them Ivermectin for COVID are we just supposed to go "listen to your doctor"? What if their doctor says Paxlovid is unnecessary because they're fit? That's bullshit some doctors do say. If their doctor says it's bad because of meds they're taking or their condition or what have you, then absolutely they need to listen to their doctor. But if their doctor is just making straight up ignorant claims the thread should be able to point out those claims are ignorant.

Good post

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Buffer posted:

The thing that prompted kiddo to not want to mask anymore is apparently she was getting bullied on the bus. We had cut a deal but on thursday, she took it off to not deal with it and today we are having symptoms and testing positive on a Luciria / negative on a RAT.

One day. This virus does not gently caress around.

But hey, bullying works.

All of this is so loving unfair. I'm so sorry.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Re: xylitol sprays, since I don't think it's been mentioned yet and I'm not sure how common knowledge it is - xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. If you have a dog it's probably a better idea to go with something like Flo Travel instead.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd go a little further than this; from the liberal standpoint everything is the result of choice-making by the perfectly spherical frictionless individual on the surface level but underneath that, the 'right' choices that result in the good outcomes are entirely those dictated to the individual from the authorities and serving the ends of the status quo. Get absolutely wrecked by covid? It's probably because you made bad individual choices didn't get a booster, etc. but only if that's what the current politically-motivated public health guidance is. If you decided to bandit yourself a booster a day early, you were stealing it from some hypothetical poverty-stricken child in a distressed neighborhood. Similarly, you probably got wrecked by not being careful enough (no such thing as material circumstances, you made your choices). But if you're just being careful generally in a way that is not currently recommended by the authorities for you (like universal masking is not currently recommended), then you must have anxiety and for your own mental health your choices need to be discredited.

It's an incredible double-bind because on the one hand you can always find a way to blame individuals for their own victimization by absolute dog-poo poo policy, and also you can pre-emptively smear people for making choices to try to avoid being victimized in the first place. Any behavior that diverges from the status quo can be ostracized, it's very convenient.

Great post

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Animal-Mother posted:

We have the tools. (they are shovels)

lol

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

This thing that objectively doesn't work? It's suddenly equivalent to the thing that objectively does. That's just The Science.

This really loving sucks and is going to kill / harm so many people.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

Thanks for this, I don't think I can handle watching the horrors of this, but I'll definitely email them.

I would love to share this with people too, but I know all it would do is result in them saying "huh, see, surgicals are good enough" and "you think you know better than the CDC?"

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tristeham posted:

not this poo poo again

Turn on your monitor

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Comparing COVID - a disease that has killed and disabled tens of millions of people - to AIDS is offensive. Please be more considerate and compare it to the common cold and call anyone who doesn't want to get it mentally ill.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
People are allowed to be angry that breathing the wrong air even once now comes with a 1 in 5 chance of longterm illness.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Great post

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

lmao at this loving headline (also added a not great nugget of info).

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Watch out, these new wildfires can burn people who wear pants.