Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

nexous posted:

the US government is hoarding 20 million courses of paxlovid,

Emptyquote.

Also, not sure how many doses Canada is stockpiling / holding for the wealthy but it's the same here. My dad, definitely eligible per the criteria set out by the government was told by his doctor that he wasn't eligible.

Corrigenda posted:

this threads culture

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

I have worn ear-strap masks and been the first customer when they open a few times, but mostly cut my own hair

Same - the place I go to only has the one stylist when they open too, so generally no one else comes in during my appointment (though it's still happened once or twice).

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

In addition to tennis players getting sick at the US Open, an MLB team acknowledges Covid is not over - I'm sure this has made some Twitter users Very Mad.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2023/09/02/covid-19-outbreak-injury-claim-two-more-cincinnati-reds-starters/70754320007/

quote:

MLB’s first team COVID-19 outbreak of the season claimed Sunday’s scheduled starter when left-hander Brandon Williamson tested positive and became the fourth Reds pitcher to land on the 7-day COVID IL in two days — joining reliever Fernando Cruz and starters Hunter Greene and Ben Lively.

Bell said it’s impossible to know whether the Reds are out of the woods yet with the outbreak or even exactly how quickly some of the pitchers with COVID might take to return.

“These guys that are out, they’re out,” he said. “They’re feeling bad.”

Greene was still in San Francisco, Bell said, staying active while isolated from the team and “progressing.”

It’s also unclear how many players or staff might be impacted.

“I don’t know,” said Bell, who said at least two members of the support staff, but no on-field coaches, are among those who have tested positive. “These guys (on the IL) are the ones that are really feeling bad, and they were tested, and we were able to replace them and get players that are ready to play.”

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Rick posted:

Brain still spinning over people being against masking in hospitals.

The best medicine is seeing another person's smile.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

coworker today legitimately blamed his dry cough on "all this beef stew I've been eating".

OK MAN

lol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yeah, he spun around and bowed up immediately which is why I don't have a much better pic, I was NOT gonna gently caress with him

Do not get bitten by any reduviid, imho, once was enough for a lifetime for me

That's a lockdown.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

Propaganda works by giving people ideas and then repeating them so often and in so many forms and venues that people internalize them, not by playing on their ideological values or commitments in some kind of rationalized "you believe x, therefore you should be believe y" way. It's literally the same thing as convincing people that smoking is cool by bombarding them with images of cool people smoking and the seminal works of modern propaganda and public relations draw that connection explicitly. People have been and are still being bombarded with a mass media campaign that covid is mild (for people like them who matter), that the losses are acceptable (because they're already sick and weak and implicitly better off dead), and that respirators are weird and/or don't work and they internalize that. That's it, that's the entire story. There is no moral calculus occurring there, just budgetary calculus about how big the campaign needs to be to manufacture the consent required.

I have an acquaintance who thinks that I mask, don't eat in restaurants etc... because I was brainwashed by the media to think that Covid is bad. Like where do I even start with that lmao

I just ignore him whenever he goes on his unhinged rants at this point.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Rochallor posted:

I cannot believe how consistent it is when somebody gives up protections and immediately gets covid. Like it's happened a dozen times in this thread alone. I don't even want to think about people who don't take any precautions and how sick they must be all the time.

It's all that immunity debt caused by taking protections duh

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

euphronius posted:

here is the moderna ad https://www.ispot.tv/ad/5yN5/spikevax-covid-19-you

I dare you to watch that and not conclude civilization is over

lmao

Lots of wet coughs at the office today; I'm sure it's fine though.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Still no moth juice available in Canada - Health Canada still hasn't approved the updated version for use :rolleyes:

Got a Pfizer shot scheduled for Tuesday; it's been 10 months since my last dose. Still debating whether I should go or wait until the moth juice finally gets approved / distributed.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Just got Pfizer #6 - the new Novavax isn't approved for use in Canada yet, with no indication on when it might be, so I decided to stick with updated Pfizer for now since my last dose was about 10.5 months ago.

Pharmacists and techs mostly wearing surgicals with a couple of them completely unmasked. Saw one other mask in the entire busy grocery store lol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

puncturewound78 posted:

it's literally so insane and awful how inaccessible it in Canda and our friend kinda openly resents us for it and I don't blame her.

My 71 year old dad was told by his doctor last year that he didn't meet the provincial eligibility requirements to get Pax prescribed lol
He definitely did meet the requirements, but gotta gatekeep to make sure the wealthy are taken care of

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

I'm in the middle of 8 straight days in the office for a training course that could've 100% been done over Teams. Half the attendees flew in from various other cities, unmasked presumably since none are masking during training. Wonder what's going to happen by day 4 or day 5 hmmmmm

Oh well, no one would have been able to see this coming.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Dren posted:

https://x.com/bob_wachter/status/1736865303609659664?s=46&t=f1MRhF2xe8gNhr6WGxk_NA

new wachter math dropped, right on cue

snipped this one for the “i’m here now” bob head

lol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Had to call my cable company about something - poor guy on the phone could barely string together 3 words without coughing and he was very clearly congested. The increase in sick people this fall so far has been really noticeable compared to last year.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

bought 50 more of the 3M Aura 9211's these things are fuckin awesome, made my recent travel much more pleasant compared to the 9210's (or V-Flex's)

for :canada: goons this site has been the cheapest I've found, $2.80 per https://www.buyingdirect.ca/products/3m%E2%84%A2-aura%E2%84%A2-particulate-respirator-mask-9211-n95-box-10-masks

Thanks! Going to try these out

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Petey posted:

bespoke care from my cardiologist, the medical director of the boston marathon, and yeah, the tldr was — minimum of a couple weeks of total rest, then a careful and graded return to play.

FWIW: in my case, I was able to return to training much more quickly than this thread would advise. looking at last january's calendar, i tested positive on jan 1, rebounded on jan 8 or 9, was antigen positive until jan 19. started short runs and lifting on the 22nd, then was doing two medium to long runs a week (extending by 1-2 miles a week) every week through the marathon in april, with hot yoga and some lifting on the other days.

but my activity was definitely "reduced" (below pre-covid infection baseline) for a month — i didn't do anything but maybe a few easy slow walks during my infection, just to get out of the house — and the grading-back-up period was 2-3 weeks. so i suppose it was basically 6 weeks before i was pushing back.

i also had the benefit of previously mentioned bespoke medical care, which included preexisting prophylactic measures to reduce my risk of heart attack or stroke (daily baby aspirin and pharmacologically keeping LDL under 40 mg/dl), and, when i had something that felt like maybe palpitations in march, cardiologist gave me a wearable ekg that i trained in for a week, during which we were able to monitor my ticket 24/7 and make sure everything was all right. all of that made me much more confident that there was nothing bad going on, but only because i could get that kind of care.

(though for most goons, you can monitor your lipids/lp(a) through your doctor or ultalabtests and then bring your risk down significantly with good old statins/ezetimibe, even if you don't qualify for pcsk9 inhibitors like i do)

lmk if you need help finding/parsing. i know it's got to be frustrating and in my case i was really worried i was not going to be able to run boston, which was pretty important to me last year. and somewhere in there i did try an easy slow walk of a distance i would have run before my infection — i think it was 6 miles two weeks in — and that knocked me out for two days. i was worried i was cooked. but a few weeks later i was fine. so don't panic, don't push it in the first month.

Quoting to find this later in case I ever get got; thanks Petey for sharing

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Insanite posted:

bumming ppl out by accurately describing reality is a lockdown

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

David Sedaris in the New Yorker:

Only your respirator trust.

This is some real psycho poo poo

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Quoting to save for later as I may have to go on a 13+ hour flight at some point later this year.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I did 21 hours one way joburg to cape town to Atlanta on a single plane earlier in the year when poo poo was absolutely bonkers in the states at least.

Don't worry about the air purifier, there's no point in fretting over it as it will be moot. Nasal spray and a good n95 + mask. as silicone thrills said the absolutely crucial point is during boarding, takeoff taxi, and then landing taxi and deplaning. The plane has to process air in flight but will not do it while on ground power. If you don't want to sip mask it, You can hold your breath, dip your mask to take a bite or a sip, and then replace your mask and exhale.

Not perfect, but we managed. You'll be fine just be diligent and rigorous about every part of the experience you can control.

The Oldest Man posted:

If you really want a portable air purifier that has some meaningful cadr (which those little integrated battery ones absolutely do not), cleanairkits sells this thing: https://www.cleanairkits.com/products/exhalaron

Even that won't do poo poo in plane that's absolutely crammed cheek by jowl with people, but 92cfm is better than the ~4 you'd get from that purezone. It will also run for a solid 16 hours on one of these, which you can fit inside the housing between the filters: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BR9XCQ26?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_KVPE4BVZDQE6C4240J36_1

Source: this is what I used on my own 30 hour international trip last year. You can't realistically use this on a plane to any effect, but you can use it in those little quiet booth things in some airports to be able to drink water and eat between legs.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

A couple more - discussion starts on page 575

corona familiar posted:

when correctly installed N95s with sipvalves pass fit tests so I don't think that should influence your decision to install and use one

having to prepare and consume liquids for a long duration kinda sucks though. I brought powdered Huel and a big container (that I filled with water at the airport) on a flight to China, which I then prepared during the flight using a blender bottle. it was manageable, but it was also messy, slightly uncomfortable while drinking since I installed the valve at an angle to accommodate a 9211+, and cleaning the bottle afterwards was awkward

I was traveling with someone else who masked but also ate one of the meals and they were fine :stonklol: they got Novavax the week before

I bought some 6mm stainless steel straws for the flight and used it to drink water and Huel, which is supposedly the largest diameter straw the valve will comfortably accommodate. for goopier liquids the wider straw definitely helped

we also used Flo travel spray (iota-carrageenan) before and after each flight

Soap Scum posted:

i know plenty of people who take covid seriously, have needed to do several very long flights, and dodged covid-from-flight without fail*. some are extremely disciplined and never take off their full-face respirator, but others are more like "yeah i wear my aura as much as i can and just try to eat super super fast," and that turned out fine for those people every time they did it (so far).

obviously i'm not saying you should take less precautions. i'm just saying i think your odds with the level of precaution you're describing are pretty favorable so don't fret too much if six hours in you have to unmask while holding your breath to take your meds or something.

*some did get it in destination, like, multiple weeks later

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Bird flu doesn't worry me, I've got beets ready to protect me.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Found this while digging through some old photos. 5/1/2020

Still a lockdown, the server is wearing a mask.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

dxt posted:

maybe if you aren't a team player!

This is honestly my biggest (and only) Covid-related fear at this point; I'm the only one who masks at work naturally and while my boss is cool and my colleagues haven't given me any grief about it or anything either, I'm worried some big wig will get Extremely Mad about me wearing an Aura and I'll be first on the chopping block because of it.

ColdBlooded has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Apr 15, 2024

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We did it folks, there’s now a “news” channel that’s just playing content all day about how lockdowns destroyed America

lmao words no longer have any sort of meaning

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

How much facial hair does it take to affect the seal of an Aura? I'm being forced back into the office on a more regular basis and while I'll shave if I have more than a day's growth when needing to mask, I'm wondering if it's necessary to do so. I don't want a full grown beard or anything like that, but would ideally prefer to not have to shave so often if I can get away with it.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Platystemon posted:

OSHA says one day. The medical field feels good about anything under one millimetre, which is about three days’ growth.

One study* looked at beard length and Auras at skipped from clean shave to “light stubble” using a visual assessment, which is a method with some slop in it but supposedly corresponds to about five days unshaven. The proportion of persons passing the quantitative fit test with “light stubble” was worse than halved. So five days is definitely too much.

Prince et al. were more granular in tests involving the moulded cup type 3M 8210, starting with full-bearded subjects and trimming incrementally. They claim victory on up to two and a half millimetres of stubble (a weekish unshaven), because the subject is generally still getting less than five percent leakage at that point, but there’s very measurable degradation at and before that point, it’s just not driving the subjects below the threshold yet.

Susceptibility to stubble-induced degradation varies with respirator design, and Auras may be less robust in this aspect than moulded cup respirators.

I think that you should follow OSHA practice and shave daily, but for the sake of entertaining mediocre ideas, you could probably get away with shaving two or three times per workweek. Once per week is pretty clearly dangerous.

*paywalled but Sci-Hub has it, DOI 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.006

Thanks, this is really helpful!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Looking at getting a nasal spray as I'll be taking my first flight since 2019 next month; I can't remember but is this one of the recommended ones that people have used? I'll still be masking obviously but a bit of extra help for when I have to lower my Aura at security and US Customs will be useful.

https://www.amazon.ca/Betadine-Defence-Nasal-Spray-milliliter/dp/B082331GXK

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

corona familiar posted:

if you have enough time to get these shipped to you, here’s a slightly cheaper alternative: https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml

that’s what i’ve been using. should be the same ingredients either way

Thanks!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Joementum posted:

(5) is the KKK exception. they removed (6). the bill passed the full NC assembly yesterday 30-15. wearing a mask is now a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by 6-18 months probation and a fine.

Congrats to NC on being the first state to end lockdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Zantie posted:

It's not like she's dicknosing. Christ, you guys are too cynical for me sometimes :smith: