Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

bg3 but you're infected with og covid and plugging covid variants directly into your brain

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

covid free and normal, masks ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al! posted:

i smoked for 20 years, im immune to covid

when was your last booster?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Dark Triad guy going to osteopathic school cause he heard they train you to manipulate people at sociopath school

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bastard Tetris posted:

idk man I just went hard on the ignore list and laughed at some fuckin losers crying in SAD, I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic and my team’s prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths if not millions

I’m happy to provide advice for people to protect themselves and their loved ones, this virus is no joke and it’s going to be a mass disabling event, but forum wars on some web 1.5 website are some of the least relevant poo poo ever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:kstare:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epitope posted:

In grad school we joked that "virologists get excited when terrible stuff happens" but that is academia where everyone pretends to not be a part of capitalism

it's very funny to point out to academics that in order for academia to exist, someone has to labor to grow the food. you can't just do math in a vacuum.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Thankfully she was aware of the forums

:kstare:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

You know, those halyard duckbill N95s are, to me, if I'm being honest, more comfortable than auras. They fit great, and are MRI safe too (which is why I've used them). They just look too stupid, so aura it is lol

aura ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

vflex (or any duckbill) + a hat, or a soft elastomeric with a big exhaust valve like the 7500 series makes a huge difference for prolonged use

7500 ftw too

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

celadon posted:

i think WAIST's point is essentially that if people arent responsible for being susceptible to propaganda regarding a directly impactful and lethal disease that harms them and their community, they're not responsible for being susceptible to any propaganda at all, and basically any sort of leftist agitation is a wild fools dream and believing in leftward movement reveals one to be essentially of a childlike mind.

correct. propaganda is not effective when the propagandist has no material power with which to back it up. in the core, this may as well be that leftist propaganda is not effective, or at least only temporarily and at very small scale.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think it's an easy opinions vs hard opinions thing. You can think whatever you want about most topics and it won't have any bearing on what you're doing with yourself most days. You open up a news website and there's all the day's stories, and you can feel very strongly about as many of them as you like all day long while going through your normal routine. You can go to that concert and grandma's house and everywhere else no matter how you feel about any of them, it's great and super easy.

One of the things about covid is that there's a kaleidoscopic array of easy opinions you can have that still fully allow you to do whatever the gently caress you feel like, and then there's a very small range of hard opinions that mean you actually have to do stuff. Because we live in a marketplace of ideas where everyone is free to choose a fully customized set of personal truths, the ideas that involve forgoing stuff end up being pretty unpopular. There are a bunch of variations on "it's fine to get on a plane while you have covid," there's one that says it isn't, and that one involves inconvenience, so nobody's going to pick it.

what if you could influence which opinions are easy and which are hard, and created some sort of self organized system to ensure the easy opinions are those that support and reinforce the stability of capital, while those that threaten and undermine it are hard?

:nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That’s a hell of an act. What do you call it?

cybernetic capitalism.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Thoguh posted:

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

it's time to let me smoke in bars again.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cybernetic capitalism ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

one of the great posts. vyelkin ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

is that how statistics work???

yes.

it's like if your watch is always behind or ahead, you can still use it to tell time, but if it was randomly behind or ahead each time you looked, it would be useless for telling time.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Oct 19, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

Today marks 4 years from my last community acquired respiratory infection (easily defeated by inhaled antivirals)

not tracking it to the day, but I haven't been ill since autumn 2019. auras ftw :cheers:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

toggle posted:

just realised i can now eat in a sip valve + aura by stuffing pretzel sticks through the straw hole. this has completely changed my airplane masking skill set. i will see how this new discovery plays out in 2-3 days, but it was an exciting thing to work out and made the flight a lot more fun.

just an fyi for all of my sip valve brethren out there. pretzel sticks, get into it

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

All of which, I don't know, I suppose if you were saying everyone should isolate and mask when they're ill, I'm all for it. It's just that she got lol actually pretty loving snippy with me, and said that I'm acting "anti-government", which is a kind of tic in our relationship where conversations about fairly banal subjects go downhill very quickly and anything I say provokes more and more ire.

you spend every day writing, rightly, polemics against the western regime. you are anti-government. if you think that you're cleverly hiding or compartmentalizing it or whatever, you are wrong. that's always going to produce dynamics like this where even "i am concerned for my wife" gets confused with "i am taking an opportunity to express anti-government sentiment" because you are making her, also rightly, worried and suspicious of why you try to hide these sentiments from her.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

perfection

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I think climate and covid thread posters are different groups because you have a budget for digesting grim reality and it starts to stretch thin.

skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i leaked covid