Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pillsburysoldier posted:

What long covid treatments exist that are any good?

The conventional wisdom is to rest for a month or more after recovery. No strenuous exercise or activities.

I am genuinely sorry that we don't know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

tested positive for covid this morning but im going in anyway because i dont want to use my sick time unless i really need it. i think theyre all vaxxed and i can do my best to avoid my coworker with lupis. it really sucks because i have baseball tickets for tonight, and i wont be able to cheer as hard

Make sure you wash your hands!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crazyweasel posted:

Nervous at all? IANAD but an anecdote….

tl;dr My home BP went from like 140 to mid 120s over the course of a few weeks and im almost certain it was due to me slowly not freaking out about what the number will be while I was taking it.

I’ve always had good BP but went to the doc in Sept 2020 during basically a panic attack and it was high 130s and the RN was like “you may need BP medication, buy a monitor and take it every day”. That plus COVID anxiety and being sedentary at home had me on a spiral and I was basically terrified (and still don’t like) taking it. I was hitting near 140 until I gradually saw the numbers come down to settle around just above 120 with HR in the 60s.

I still hit 90+ bpm and 130s in the loving doctor office though.

Also what’s with this new COVID variant. I assume lack of fun case growth charts is because no one is testing so we won’t know if it is exponential growth until signal from hospitals?

This is widely known as "white-coat hypertension" fyi.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

icantfindaname posted:

Make sure they get paxlovid through scrupulously legal and legitimate channels

Gatekeeping and means testing is not cool except for this one specific thing.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's great that everyone has equitable access to good doctors. That's why there's never been any marginalized groups who've had to go outside the medical system to get things like HIV meds or gender affirming care.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

If the thread is gassed its because the thread has been targeted for years and people desperately scrutinize every post to see what can cause big stupid drama conflagrations and what can draw people who might be shocked and appalled by the issue of the moment to make it louder.

I think people do need to be extremely careful of paxlovid since the contraindications are serious and handing it out to friends and family is stupid but I don't care if people work with doctors to get stuff ready before getting infected.

Agree w/all of this.

Corrigenda posted:

It is deeply, deeply disingenuous to invoke the mistreatment of trans or other marginalized people receiving medical care to you not getting Paxlovid even though you really think you should. Please stop.

EDIT: derp double quote

Double edit: It's clear my posting isn't helping this issue. I guess don't be surprised when the thread gets gassed?

I don't think you're a troll and I think your comment here is in earnest so I want to respond to it. I respect the experiences that many queer people have had obtaining life-saving medicine and navigating the terrible health care systems all over the world. That's it. We're on the same side.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm in Australia where paxlovid is being gatekept to the very old or the very immunocompromised despite calls from epidemiologists for wider access. They actually eased up on the eligibility factors in April this year, previously people in their 60s had to have two risk factors to be eligible for paxlovid but they lowered that to just one risk factor. For people like me who are under 60 and don't have multiple risk factors it's pretty much impossible for me to get pax unless I could somehow convince an MD to prescribe it for me, and even then it'd cost over $1,000 out-of-pocket which I couldn't even afford.

I imagine it'd be pretty trivial for someone "rich and connected" to get their hands on pax, though.

I've lived in Australia since before covid and I'm continually astonished by how competent the US feds look in comparison.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

Since I’m back again, I’m gonna share a nice little moment from last week. My apartment gave notice about required upgrades on my ac unit that would take all day. I was worried about having people in my apartment and getting a contractor to wear a mask. I taped a sign asking them to and some auras and kf94s.

Dude came, put on one of the auras properly before knocking and it ended up being no issue at all.

Hell yeah

StratGoatCom posted:

I mean, let's be honest, an n95 is probably the minimum protection I'd demand going into a goon cave anyway even before covid. :v:

:lmao:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Australian pets have a better shot at getting COVID antivirals than humans do. 🤣

The compounding veterinary pharmacy Bova (no joke) has been spinning human Remdesivir into a veterinary drug since 2020.

Two cats use as much Remdesivir as three humans, because they require long courses of treatment to cure FIP.

I would make a joke here about adopting a cat so I can get antivirals but the SADdies would be all over me.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Buffer posted:

The thing that prompted kiddo to not want to mask anymore is apparently she was getting bullied on the bus. We had cut a deal but on thursday, she took it off to not deal with it and today we are having symptoms and testing positive on a Luciria / negative on a RAT.

One day. This virus does not gently caress around.

But hey, bullying works.

I wasn't aware of the xylitol. That's in my sweet spot for not harmful and cost / possible efficacy.

:(

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

this is florida

corsi cube?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

we can only focus on the things we have direct control over. when some rear end in a top hat parent sends their sick kid into her classroom, that's out of our control. no homebrewed mad scientist filter rig is gonna suck all the particles out of an entire classroom.

There are commercial air filters that work too, though they are more expensive.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

this is a fine showing of covid-thread brain: my wife is responsible for the spread of covid at her school because administration implied that if she doesn't get in line with the rest of the school, her position and income could be in danger.

is this another thread full of c-spam landlords whose partners can just up and leave a work situation that's problematic for them? because that's not the case for me. we need both our incomes.

You could do the Corsi cube or air filter and if anyone asks just tell them it's because of the pollen.

IDK I'm just spitballing here.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Lald what do you want fun from this thread? I'm asking sincerely.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

one normal day.

It is very late where I am and I'm going to bed. I hope you and your wife are able to stay safe. God luck.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

Excellent news, especially the Regeneron funding which is very big for the immunocompromised:

Congrats to Regeneron shareholders!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

That's a bit crass I think. Regeneron did make a product that worked well as the only functional alternative to vaccines, for the immunocompromised. It is extremely good that they are getting funds to make an updated version.

Yes you're right of course. I just get tired of seeing the government willing to throw money at a problem but unwilling to reccomend clean air guidelines, masking, etc...

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lib and let die posted:

buddy we couldn't get the government to recommend substantial clean air guidelines for the good of the entire loving planet before covid, why are you frustrated now?

I think I'm just getting old.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BCR posted:

Another vote for novavax. I had astrazenica, Pfizer and novavax. The others left an achy arm. Novavax felt fine, no response. Novavax also is meant to be more effective against a wide range of strains which is a bonus.

My first Novavax shot initially felt fine but started hurting after a few minutes. The pain increased until about ten minutes after the shot (I'd rate it 3/10), then quickly waned. My wife had the same response. No pain at all when I got another Novavax booster last week.

My previous shots had been both Pfizer and Moderna monovalents and before that two Astrazenaca. All those left me with various amounts of nausea 12ish hours out. Nothing like that with Novavax.

As always YMMV.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

biceps crimes posted:

pretty sus how supposedly well adjusted people spend hours of their day posting about and in a thread they think is crazy. i even like this thread and only get to glance at it while I'm making GBS threads at work or something. get a hobby imo

You don't understand we have to choose the thread for their mental health.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
BG3 is sick (in the good way) but I find I'm a touch burned out on it. Very excited for Starfield.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
No you see we can't use a drug to protect ourselves because someday a variant will evolve that renders the drug ineffective.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
So much of the discourse on how the medical system fails patients is based on the experiences of women and marginalized groups, and rightfully so, given the magnitude of the failure. My experience as a cishet white dude is that doctors don't listen to me either. Solidarity I guess?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

picked up friend from airport

gave her a vflex to put on before she got in my car

drove her home with windows open

since she can’t get pax I bought her a neilmed bottle. she said she struggled with a neti pot before so if neilmed doesn’t work maybe I’ll drop a bottle of Enovid at her place

Good on ya' Steve.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

Being afraid of real stuff that can harm you is cowardly
Being afraid of fake made up bullshit is patriotic

To a degree I'm sympathetic to people who are so burnt out on reality that they look for someone behind the curtain who's to blame for things sucking so much. It's more comforting to believe there's a malevolent dictator behind it all rather than the collective pull of thousands of powerful but incompetent rich people trying to carve off a chunk of a dying empire.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TehSaurus posted:

Sorry what I said was upsetting. I hope this sounds more reasonable.

We're all friends here.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

makes me :lol: every time.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm not a computer toucher - I work full time in an office. I'm also the only one in my company enforcing a masking requirement for my work area.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Maroon Hawk posted:

oh I did, I said I strongly suspected it was COVID-induced POTS and listed all the symptoms that made me think that. his response was basically “idk bro, try some light cardio and get back to me if that doesn’t help :shrug:

we have the tools

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am sticking my head up now because our older kid, who is about to enter 1st grade, has made a pretty good friend and their parents just had a conversation with me along the lines of "FYI our kid has long COVID, smell is hosed up, balance problems, and we still have them generally mask indoors because we believe the risk of repeat infection for them is substantially worse than for the general public...".

I need to get in touch with the school board stat about building corsis for the classrooms this year; slept on that too long.

Welcome to the thread and good luck with you and the kiddo(s) staying safe. Please report back on how you fare with the school board. Prior results have been mixed.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

StratGoatCom posted:

Okay, can we make an exception in the rule about blaming hostile outsiders because the Cow Exploder Rereg certainly qualifies?!?!

StratGoatCom posted:

Hey, Bastard Tetris, if you want to use your monoclonal bux to do us all a solid, now's the time:

For anyone not following the SAD thread about Boba Pearl's avatar doxing:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtlicious.

Turtlicious posted:

Which we are doing, and many countries in the G20 have agreed to do. I'm 26 and I refuse to die in a global apocalypse. I'm going to die at 85 surrounded by my family and friends, and if there is a final account, St. Peter / Buddha / Anubis will know I didn't just sit back and let the apocalypse happen. I fought for the right things and I never gave up hope that humanity could do better.

Weight my heart against a feather you fucks, I'm ready to try and save the world.

e: Even if someone has to go pipe bomb some methane emitting cows, or gently caress up an oil pipeline.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious posted:

watch the news in the next 2 weeks.

e: I'm going to stop climate change.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:lmao:

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Aug 24, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sure enough BP had some strong opinions about the Covid thread too.

Boba Pearl posted:

The thread is a cesspit, with the absolute worst posters, headed now by one of the worst posters. They're allowed to do whatever they want, and face no repercussions, a day for handing out fake medicine? Nothing is being done about the constant homophobic and transphobic sentiment, and I'm not going to list it all out, because it's exhausting to look for attacks over and over and have nothing done about them. They constantly attack anyone whose an outsider. They are the worst the forums has to offer, and are constantly being handed rope by which they use to strangle the rest of the forums.

E: Fosborb did nothing about any of the attacks against me, whether they were transphobic, homophobic, about my art, or anything in between, and instead let his cadre of fake practitioners continue to give out dangerous medical advice.

Boba Pearl posted:

The only thing I wouldn't super mock, is the idea that these threads radicalize people, it's generally exposure to that thinking without consequence that allows them to get like that. I would like to remind people, though I loathe being the one to do it, that an actual poster, made real world pipe bombs to commit real world terrorism. Yes they were mentally ill, yes they were perma'd 6 months later, and yeah someone did call the cops, but there was a real world consequence due to exposure of radicalized thinking.

e: Posting isn't JUST a game anymore, it's not 15 years ago. The things you say and do effect people, you can come to real world harm, and that reality needs to be internalized.

Boba Pearl posted:

There were murmurs that CO2 was starting to drop, and then someone started popping off about how the real problem was methane from Industrial farming, and that even if we fixed carbon emmissions, methane was much more powerful of a greenhouse warming effect, and that agriculture was going to strangle the planet. Turtlicious started posting there because they were sharing good news from r/climateactionplan, and was convinced by the thread that the world was ending, and nothing would save it.

Literally, in the new thread, their first post was talking about how their therapist begged them to stop posting there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=189869

She was referring to herself in both of those quotes.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

As the super gay trans ik who got treated like total poo poo trying to do right by this thread, seeing this from someone who literally was protected by the site owner after posting terrorist threats and given space to drive her patreon has completely broken the lingering shreds of giving a poo poo about this site 'as a community.'

For whatever my dumbass opinions worth I really appreciate you and all the rest of the regulars ITT. I wouldn't wish the IK/mod role on my worst enemy.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

there is also lazy trolling sometimes ... and that needs kicked in the knees as well.

So will you be probing the obvious poo poo-stirrers? I'm all for the "us vs them" posting to stop but it seems like it's only the "us" who get blamed for it.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RC Cola posted:

Did someone really fake doxx buy an avatar for themselves again?

Yes and they were previously permabanned for dabbling in ecoterrorism.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RC Cola posted:

Was it the blow up cows person?

Winner winner chicken dinner!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There's one other dude in my building who wears an N95. I don't know his name or what department he works for, but sometimes we pass each other and exchange the nod because we both get it.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The man is 98 years old and still spry. He was 93 when he performed the quick little song and dance at the end of Marry Poppins Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL3AijekRYw&t=15s

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also note that my brother works in the trucking industry and since he was a legit essential worker he still had to go to work every day all throughout the lockdowns. Everyone in his company had an "essential worker certificate" they had to carry with them in case the cops pulled them over (which his company had to write up & print themselves, anyone could have easily faked it lol)

IME this was pretty half-assed. A large number of my workplace, myself included, were deemed essential. We had the travel permits and everything and most of us continued working in-person during the lockdowns. Nobody ever got checked on their work commute and we never had a workplace inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Glumwheels posted:

When I got my paxlovid prescription this week, the pharmacist had crossed out the 2023 expiration date and wrote 2024….

It wasn’t expired when I got it, I had three weeks left.

And now you've got a whole year left!