Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Well, our household streak has ended. Partner came back yesterday from a short trip with a minor sore throat that became a major sore throat today, followed by a positive PCR. She's got a SesameCare appointment in a few minutes and we found a 24-hour pharmacy, so with any luck we'll have her on Pax before bedtime.

I don't have any symptoms yet (which makes sense given the timing) and we've got the windows open and are wearing masks, so mayyyybe I'll get lucky and maintain my streak.

I've said it before, and it's never been more true: I appreciate the people contributing helpful, actionable information to this thread so much. I'd be adrift without this collection of resources and reminders that we aren't the only ones trying not to get sick in the face of overwhelming political and social forces to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Well, had to drive to the next town over to get Pax since the local pharmacy was all out for some reason! But at least we did get some. We* have the tools!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

I'm sure the answer is "ehh probably helps a little, probably doesn't hurt, not really sure", but do we know anything about how Xlear brand nasal spray stacks up with the others? I'm about halfway through a bottle of Enovid and would rather replace it with something I don't have to pay a jillion dollars for and import from Israel when it gets low. I happened to notice Xlear on the shelves in Walgreens when I was there grabbing Pax, so if that stuff compares favorably to Iota Carrageenan (which I think is still hard to get as a commercial product in the USA?) that'd be sweet.

Obviously only trusting respirator still, but what can I say, I love spraying stuff up my nose.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

My partner currently has covid (1 more day of Pax left, and so far hasn't been too bad for her besides a nasty sore throat thankfully!), and I've so far managed to avoid catching it from her by staying in different rooms, keeping all the windows open, and wearing masks when we're in shared space.

Tonight it's supposed to rain quite a bit, so we can't keep all the windows open. If I move our li'l Levoit 300 running at full blast into the bedroom I'm in, shut the doors, and run the central A/C, how does that compare to all open windows? I realize that's tough to answer in the general case without knowing our layout/ventilation/etc. but I'm looking for a little peace of mind (or a reason to allow all our furniture to get drenched).

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

wouldn’t run AC, that would circulate air between rooms

Ah, that's helpful, thank you. My layperson's mental model (A/C unit sucks air in from outside, pushes into each room separately, air doesn't really mix) was wrong.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Thanks, Soap Scum and Steve Yun. Sounds like the play is to do most of what I was thinking but keep the A/C off instead. It's been so hot here the past week that it shouldn't be much worse than what we're already used to.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

sit in front of a fan all day

sleep with a fan on you

take a couple cold showers a day, real short so you don’t waste water, and keep your mask on when you do. don’t towel off, let the water evaporate off you to cool you down

I dunno how effective it is, but when my roommate was exposed I kept my mask on in the bathroom and brushed/washed my face on the patio

I have been doing full-length maskless showers, but with the bathroom window wide open and the vent fan on. Our apartment is spaced out enough and there are enough open windows in between Sick Person Zone and the bathroom that I've been feeling reasonably comfortable about that risk, but if I do get got, that will probably be how.

And yeah, the fans are blasting away. Fortunately the rain tonight is supposed to bring a break in the heat along with it, so we'll have some relief tomorrow with any luck.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

I realize this is variable, but is there an average sense of when a rebound will happen if it's going to? My partner's last dose of (commoner, not Fauci-class) Pax was this morning, and she's feeling pretty good but we're sort of holding our breath for round 2.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Pingui posted:

I don't think there is sufficient research to say, but here is the distribution from a piece of research:

As you can tell there isn't really a clear pattern.

Reference: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2206449

Oof, so the gap can be several days before it comes back. Maybe I'll get canceled for saying this but I do not like this virus!!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

It's a week out from my partner's symptom onset and a day and a half since finishing Pax. She tested negative today, hooray! I know we're not out of the woods yet, but at least it's going about as mildly as could be hoped so far.

I think I want to get a PCR test to just make sure I didn't get tagged, even though my rapids have been negative and I haven't had any symptoms. When is the right time to do that? I was figuring sometime this weekend, but I'm not really sure.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hell an asymptomatic infection could already be over anyway for you, just due to variance in individuals and covid doing it's wacky so random thing.

Ugh yeah, I'm trying not to think about that. I hope not!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Well, started to feel like we were gonna be done, but partner got a faint line this morning after a couple days of negatives. She's pretty pissed about it, understandably.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

So partner was feeling better at the end of last week, then on Sunday had a big rebound and today is feeling absolutely terrible. She is completely convinced that it's entirely due to Paxlovid, because her brother, who got got at the same time as her and did not take Pax, is feeling most of the way better now. It's very cool how I can't even succeed at accurate science communication within my own household with someone who already trusts me! I love it!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

How concerned should we be about a rash developing, about a week and a half into covid infection? I tried googling about this but came up with mostly not that helpful stuff. It's on her arms and knees. Is this just one of those "yeah that can happen" symptoms that doesn't make it onto every list?

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/search/?q=rash&restrict_sr=1

Seems to be not uncommon. The lil virus that could.

Also early shingles activation is a thing COVID is blessing under 50s with. Still can't get SHINGRIX though.

ohh smart search, I always forget about that subreddit. Thanks!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

DickParasite posted:

I had a short flight last night, and as the cabin crew finished up the safety briefing they quickly added "and if oxygen is required you'll need to remove your mask before donning the oxygen mask" which I don't think I've heard in years. I'm pretty sure they I was the only one masking so maybe they added it for my benefit :shrug:.

Don't fall for it they pumping uncut corona into that system.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

I love seeing "as a mother, ..." in publications like the NYT because 100% of the time you can mentally append "of children who will hate my loving guts when/if they reach adulthood"

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Almost just rear-ended someone while driving because I was distracted by the sign a restaurant had out on the sidewalk which literally said "Get brunch or die trying".

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

I'm just about through my bottle of Enovid and I'd like to replace it with some iota carrageenan spray instead of dropping another jillion dollars on something that by all accounts works less well. US goons who have purchased some, where'd you get it? I've pretty skeptical of getting anything that really needs to be the genuine article from Amazon, but that's all I've found via googling...

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Rochallor posted:

You can just buy epothex from epothex dot com, that's about as secure as you're gonna get when it comes to online stuff. They have a bunch of brands, make sure you're buying the iota carrageenan one which is the sticky stuff.

Ah I hadn't heard of epothex. Thanks! Will check it out.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Oracle posted:

Order from a supplier in Canada that ships to the US. This company was recommended on Reddit's zero-covid community (looks like they built in the cost of shipping into the price they charge, which is currently 20 bucks. Pre-covid prices for a bottle of this was 12.99CA, for an example). This is a bog-standard online checkout page and seems totally legit, though there is no option for expedited shipping.

Ah nice, wound up buying from that site earlier today after scrounging around for any other sources and coming up dry. I thought they looked about as legit as I could hope for, so glad to hear they appeared that way to your eyes, too. Will update here if I got scammed!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

not gonna lie I was really hoping for that moth juice :(

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Can we start tracking beef stew in the wastewater.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

People who are holding out for Novavax boosters, do you have a date in mind for when you'll give up waiting and just schedule a Moderna or Pfizer? Not looking for advice as I realize we just don't know when (if) it'll get approved and distributed, just curious what kind of timelines other people are thinking about.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stoked to moth up

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Last month my partner had a pretty rough case of covid. Yesterday my mom said to my partner "I see now why you've been dreading getting it so much" and I can't stop thinking about it. Like, I know she was just talking casually and not trying to make an airtight logical statement, but it's stuck in my mind.

That is not the order of cause and effect! We aren't retroactively dreading it because my partner had a bad time in the future!

I don't know why that is bothering me so much, but it is.

edit to add: I have some sense of what bothers me about it, and it's something to do with the whole "assess your own personal risk" bullshit but I can't quite articulate it.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

MOTH ME

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Hell yeah, Moth Juice scheduled for next Tuesday. Pharmacy guy on the phone was adamant that it's by appointment only so I guess maybe my location is seeing higher demand or something.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Gettin' mothed tomorrow. Hope I land on the "arm is a little sore for a couple days" side of things and not the "violently puking for 24 hours" side! Also, hope they didn't give away my dose. The guy on the phone last Thursday was pretty aggressive about stating appointment only.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Mothed up, babyyy!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Also, that was my first time in a Costco :stare: :wtf: :lmao:

Same, and holy poo poo.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

9 hours after getting mothed and absolutely zero side effects besides a very slightly sore arm that I'm not even sure I'd notice if I weren't looking out for it. Hopefully I don't wake up puking my guts out tomorrow morning!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Now 21 hours after Mothing Up and still experiencing basically zero side effects. Arm is a teensy bit sore but less so than any other shot I've gotten in recent memory. Woke up kinda sweaty in the middle of the night but that's just as likely to have been vaccine side effect as it was my big fat cat deciding to snuggle up real close.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Just got back from my local annual tabletop gaming convention. Quite a few more masks than I would have expected, and of those, a shockingly high number were N95s! I guess if any population is going to do their homework and have better than average risk/reward calculations, that's where I'd expect it. Bummer they weren't required, but my expectations are so far down in the sewer at this point that I'm happy when I see any effort at all.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

maxwellhill posted:

holy poo poo, that test2treat.com site just mailed me Paxlovid, straight to my door, no cost, no pharmacy visit, and no phone call. the entire process was just "fill out the web form" and then three days later it's waiting for me outside my front door.

to access this service I just applied for the free tests from test2treat back when everyone else did, used the backdoor because they had shut down signups at the time, got my 4 rapid tests in the mail from them, and then clicked through on the follow up emails where they were like "get telehealth based on your test result".

this sent me to a site called eMed. the web form asked if I was positive and whether I had a test photo or not (I said no). the form kept going, there was even open-ended part to message them with, where I just wrote "no questions" since I know the drill. finally their partner pharmacy "GoGoMeds" mailed it straight to my house.

so it sounds like everyone can do this right now to get another $1400 pax box, provided that test2treat.com doesn't lock you out of signing up in the first place. are new people still having success with that?

i took 10 days and am very glad that I did knowing that they're about to recall all the nation's "extra" doses and dump them in the trash

Thank you for this hot tip! Got a box on the way to my door, easy peasy.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Pax arrived earlier this afternoon! Wish I'd started my collection much sooner, but hopefully I can get a couple more rounds in before it all goes to the dumpster.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

UGH, I can't believe people keep getting this wrong! It's not a flu-like because it isn't turn-based; it's a flu-lite.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

(Bootsy Collins voice) Spikevax that body

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

I mean, you wouldn't go to a Chess Club meeting if there was no chess!

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Just popping in to say I've now had successful interactions with test2treat 3 times: once right when it launched to get tests, once at the end of Oct. to get Pax, and again just now to get more Pax. All three times super easy, did everything via web form and email, didn't even have to upload a photo or talk to anyone, and poo poo just came right to my porch.

Can't imagine it's going to keep working this well come January, but it's great right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth, at which point they're like, hell yeah, my plan was to get punched in the mouth.