Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

my mom's oncologist and his staff stopped masking in May, lol

We can’t live our dramatically shortened lives in fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lol is there like an agency-wide prohibition on mentioning respiratory protection in communications to the laity or what

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Harik posted:

florida, new york, california, there's no real difference in governance when it comes to reminding everybody that it's their sacred duty to go to work so their kids have to be sent to the plague pits and also Chilli's happy hour is self care.

Not enjoying the new thread vibe of "do not say anything bad about the people who've piled millions of rotting corpses in an offering to mammon" tbh.
love having a kid who will be in preschool next year and that if I could spend 30K in tuition on him, he could go somewhere with UV filters and hepa and poo poo everywhere. there is a private school that does all of that a mile from our home. instead, I guess my whole household will get covid every few months until tragedy strikes. this is in smart, progressive Massachusetts, btw.

same to that final line.

e: we didn’t get covid during the delivery of kid 2. this is in spite of half of the personnel around us having coughs. Ty, 10 ACH labor and delivery room air, I guess.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/zalaly/status/1693640539537555921?s=20

this is all good, then, right, assuming that you're rooting for the virus?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Starting a SAD thread about these inmates not being willing to trust their doctor.

that doctor worked really hard to do be in a position to do those completely above aboard things!

also lol: long covid is old news. now, it’s all about long fire:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/08/20/maui-wildfires-smoke-trauma-cognitive-deficits/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

it is too much to expect that ppl in the ostensibly* leftist subforum have even the slightest familiarity with cultural hegemony, actually.

*osteopathically

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

leftists: “covid is over. show me your smile, freak!”

lib computer touchers: “people should be able to work without playing disability roulette, maybe.”

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

mags posted:

cspam is a leftist forum for people who hate leftists, hence all the self-loathing and concern trolling, it's just a few cs majors on downtime from the dsa polycule

this feels closest 2 the truth tbh

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

“Better things aren’t possible.”
—Vladimir Lenin

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

mags posted:

should be more than 6 lol

torn between “well, you folks wanted experts to feel welcome in the COVID thread” and lolling at the tone deafness

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

would kill for legit hot pink auras

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, had another friend get long covided. brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. went in for some bloodwork today and their doctor said that it's probably just bad vibes due to society collapsing and work stress, naturally. nurse there made a point of mentioning to them that she was completely unconcerned about covid because of course.

Pingui posted:

I am reluctant to accept that date with certainty, as the rollout is kinda looking like a clusterfuck so far. They still haven't done the sign-off and nominally eligibility hasn't been defined yet (thought the indication is that it will be available to most, possibly even children as someone had mentioned their pediatrician could order iirc).

iirc, the updated shots are going to be pretty meh against ba.2.86 if that ends up being a big thing, right?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Aug 25, 2023

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

How that interacts with the updated shots (which are targeting XBB.1.5) is a bit of a shrug and a wave.

this seems fine, as we are now able to adjust our vaccines over a long weekend to meet the challenges of the day.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Petey posted:

this is all in a major urban area with some of the supposed best health care systems in the country. not great!

my "friend told by doc that their long covid is just world weariness w/nurse stating covid isn't even really a thing" post does carry a fancy boston pedigree

i sent them some long covid clinic and clinical trial links, which i guess means that i could be probed for big dogging medical professionals, but that's a risk i'm willing to take

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Okuteru posted:

It's only day two of the school year and people are already calling off sick with the vid. The principal is telling teachers to not to report positive tests because "we cannot give into the fear".

As if a pathogen is a terrorist cell or something.

giving into the fear isn't really the complete thought
it's more like

"don't give into the fear that you, a being gifted with sentience rightfully have, because it would make things inconvenient for people who rely on the status quo for their comfort"

we need shorthand tho due to covid causing memory loss

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Okuteru posted:

There are plenty of wrestlers who had to slow down in the ring because of COVID. Keith Lee is a lot slower than he used to be. There is a wrestler named Kalisto who almost died because of the disease.

Then you have athletes like Lamar Jackson who have had COVID 2 - 3 times and are still performing well.

moneyball, but it's just finding decent options w/type O blood

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

re: concert cancellation chat, but only sorta

is there anywhere that one can find insurance industry data that might hint at how growing sickness/disability/death are impacting society? is all of that sort of thing 100% private?

as an enterprise computer toucher, i have no idea, myself.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chamale posted:

Take it easy for four weeks after your symptoms pass; exercising after a bout of covid increases your risk of PASC.

the “don’t push it” thing should be common knowledge, but it’s not, as so much public health guidance is aimed at getting people back to work. it owns.

I’d say I felt mostly normal maybe a month after my infection. my heart was racing a lot for a while afterward, which is fine and good. doesn’t really do that now.

some people genuinely feel fine after a day or two. others are wrecked for good. some feel like they’re on the mend and then fail a LC roll, which is a bucket several of my friends are in. some feel great after a few days and later die of heart attacks, strokes, PEs, etc., later, but these are obviously not covid deaths because they aren’t recorded as covid deaths. my mom did one of these, as did nearly my dad.

we are all supposed to just pretend that this is a tolerable way of living. lol.

Glumwheels posted:

I’m not going to exercise, I plan to take it easy the next couple of weeks. I just want this drat fever and night sweats to completely go away. I’m not sleeping well through the night.

as you’re having trouble with sleep, have you tried melatonin pills?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Aug 25, 2023

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

I think there was a bit of the exaggeration, given that genocide is literally not possible, and she was trying to express that the impact is disproportionately ablist, obviously.

But when the wrong people use exaggerated language on a comedy site it's a threat to us all

right speech has been a fundamental part of this site since its inception. it is the first part of lowtax's noble eightfold path and i plead that you sit with that.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

blue squares posted:

we announced it and everyone else attending the shower was already exposed to the same person on the same day and none of them give a poo poo including the pregnant woman, so whatever, party on

lol, covid infections are p. dangerous for pregnant people and babies.

it's a good thing that you'd never know this unless you really dug for it.

thanks, cdc.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

if it's good enough for goldfish, it's good enough for my children.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm ordering my insurance-reimbursed covid tests for the month, clicking the box that says these are only for me, and then giving them to a mutual aid group

Sabotaging the healthcare system, come get me mods :goose:

Cigna denies my covered-through-EOY tests every claim. have to file two tickets per denied reimbursement every time to get things fixed.

i love this world.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This means it's over.

the widespread adoption of endemic as "harmless" is a complete mindfuck to me

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

smelly goblin posted:

I need some recommendations for n95 masks. Im a woman with a small face and a somewhat flat nose bridge so I can never get a seal on auras, masks with the metal cincher things never work for me bc my nose bridge shape. I have a secure click respirator but I don't always wanna wear that esp to the doctors. Suggestions?

i'm sure you're going to get a bunch of better suggestions, but are you talking blue-strap auras or white? iirc, the white ones fit a tad differently from blue.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

also, flomasks are available in two nose bridge designs if that's your bag:

https://flomask.com/collections/flo-mask-for-adults

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

my spouse is shockingly good at giving haircuts. haven't been back to the barbershop since feb. 12, 2020.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Ok - Which one of you awesome doomscrolling bastards wants to help me with a covid related website?

not sure if this dying forum is a good place to find computer touchers

also, happy to help

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I took advantage of this deal, and got 10 tests that all expire at the end of November. Not bad, should get me through some upcoming spreadsheet avoiding exposure events.

It looks like they're having trouble moving inventory, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sale prices continue until they're out of business: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/troubled-testmaker-cue-health-under-investor-pressure-change-course

Of course once that happens, that's the end of home PCR quality tests.

In other news, apparently COVID can curve your dick: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8420294/. Now you have an excuse for missing the g-spot!

It's really hard to get out-of-home PCR tests right now, too. lol.

Surely the sun will never set on Luciras that expire in October at the latest! And I'm sure those Metrix things will ever see more than some nominal deployment to actors/athletes/politicians.

Owns to be left with tests that take three days to give you a 75% chance of knowing what you're sick with just as your window for getting a pax rx is closing. Trying to gather ~safely~ or otherwise protect someone else? That's a lockdown.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tzen posted:

it's incredible how bad his response has been, incredible, entirely predictable, and cruel
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1699564589426360424seeing this clip today and i was just doing some of this

lol gently caress joe biden.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Guess that's fine then. Everything is fine.
:tif:

Archived link: https://archive.li/qqRUe

yeah, the "here's why things getting worse is actually NBD" articles are coming out in swarms this week

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zantie posted:

https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0055-0001 Apparently posted back in July.

National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID-19 and Other Infectious Disease Targets of Public Health Concern 2023-14413

"This notice invites comment on a proposed information collection project titled National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID–19 and other infectious disease targets of public health concern. The proposed information collection project aims to collect pathogen and public health target concentration in wastewater, wastewater target variant sequencing data, sewershed spatial files, and associated sewershed-level case data from participating jurisdictions in the United States to inform infectious disease prevention and control efforts."

Awesome! Oh wait what's this?

"DATES: CDC must receive written comments on or before September 5, 2023."
comment due date on that link is sept. 7, at least.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Megyn Kelly: I Regret Getting The COVID Vaccine, I Have Tested Positive For An Autoimmune Issue

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...mune_issue.html

:thunk:

lol incredible

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

lol how did we get here?

liberalism, op

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1700216562995646847?s=20

i can guess at why this is happening in a software bug sense, but also lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1700894167633658201?s=20

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1700894791003705738?s=20

show yourself, deerhoof

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

can we really speculate about this being over the n95 without independent confirmation and a randomized controlled trial

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

more irresponsible speculation from covid thread

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

12+ for the old one. Eligibility has still not been determined for any of the new ones.

it owns that my v. young kids could be SOL into middle school because the most important thing in contemporary public health is memoryholing covid

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Griz posted:

updated Pfizer/Moderna just got approved by FDA
CDC has their gatekeeping meeting tomorrow

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...tly-circulating

are they... just not doing novavax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

"Key to living with covid is reckoning with its consequences, which includes having a plan to treat those afflicted with post-covid conditions."

so leana has long covid, then