Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a link to what happened? This sounds like some goontelephone.txt

Boba had her av changed to text that was an address and iirc a threat. I reported and DM'd a mod. There's no goon telephone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a link to what happened? This sounds like some goontelephone.txt

Boba posted a few things in the covid thread and some attention was directed at them from various posters. Someone then decided to spend $20 to buy some avatars that were really bad for Boba. Vylekin was actively monitoring the thread and saw/purged both of them.

We're once again asking Jeff to make avatar purchases for others require an account logged in to help trace down people doing this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I agree with everything posted in this thread, but I also don't think anything is going to be done by Jeff since he only really responds to things either currently napalming the forums at large or to direct attacks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Posting ITT to get in on the inevitable thread-nuke

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Boba posted a few things in the covid thread and some attention was directed at them from various posters. Someone then decided to spend $20 to buy some avatars that were really bad for Boba. Vylekin was actively monitoring the thread and saw/purged both of them.

We're once again asking Jeff to make avatar purchases for others require an account logged in to help trace down people doing this.

Boba only posted once in the thread. And it was after whomever got her that avatar. It's highly improbable that it was even related to whatever beef you're assuming that is happening

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Jeff pretty much changed his posting frequency and stopped engaging regularly after the boxing day massacre. It really sucks that he just ignores the site wholesale instead of making the positive changes that would take very little effort, like this one

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mr. Nice! posted:

wait this poo poo happened yet again?

jeff sucks poo poo idk why any of you still give him money

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

NeonPunk posted:

Boba only posted once in the thread. And it was after whomever got her that avatar. It's highly improbable that it was even related to whatever beef you're assuming that is happening

drumroll please

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NeonPunk posted:

This is where Boba first started posting today:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4039002&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post534033497

Boba spoke about their experiences a bit with the old thread. Another poster said and then retracted a statement saying "Aha, I knew it was all about Boba Pearl."

I'm not sure exactly when in the timeline that avatar purchases happened, but Boba was an active poster in the thread when I was looking at it. I don't know what is wrong about my explanation. I was not trying to imply that Boba did anything wrong, but rather that negative attention was thrown at them after a few posts. I'm not 100% certain when the avatar purchase happened, but I don't think it occurred until after the retracted post. I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture. I would like to note that boba was not trying to make discussion about themself nor did they want discussion to be about them. This is not about them per se. They're just a victim here of harassment.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wait this poo poo happened yet again?

jeff sucks poo poo idk why any of you still give him money

Yes. Just a couple hours ago. The currently locked covid discussion thread prompted someone to doxx Boba twice which Vylekin blanked and others fixed with a return of the old avatar.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 22, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I don't want that poo poo in there, and if it was one of ours I want them loving perma'd because gently caress loving doxxers.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinz posted:

come on it's been that way literally since day one

Suddenly it's a ginormous deal

this has been an issue that was raised months ago that jeff never responded to with regards to doxxing, so handwaving it away with this sort of flippant post is pretty stupid

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

For what it's worth Boba Pearl has mentioned having a stalker (who may not have a SA account and just lurks the forums? I don't remember) so it actually is possible the AV purchaser is a third party shithead and not related to the COVID thread posts

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WarpDogs posted:

SA is fickle but on the plus side that means even a single right move (like op) would immediately result in a lot of people being happy about how things are going. Just gotta break out of that loop

Quoting for Jeffrey

Mekchu posted:

this has been an issue that was raised months ago that jeff never responded to with regards to doxxing, so handwaving it away with this sort of flippant post is pretty stupid

Every Spinz post in SAD is handwaving something away while understanding, at best, half of the problem

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

StratGoatCom posted:

I don't want that poo poo in there, and if it was one of ours I want them loving perma'd because gently caress loving doxxers.

At the very least as opposed to an admin playing avatar bodyguard, maybe there should be a way to lock giving avatars to people whore getting targeted with psycho poo poo instead of live monitoring?

Even if theres no sweeping change to the system, just an admin toggle of no avatars given to this person would at least band-aid it. I know theres high-end powers like forum access removal and plat/PM removal, cant there be one for this?

Hell at this juncture if you put in a system of manual avatar approval, theres gotta be a few trustworthy people who feel strongly enough about this they would be willing to play filter purely for doxxing and hatecrimes in their spare time.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Tarnop posted:

Quoting for Jeffrey

Every Spinz post in SAD is handwaving something away while understanding, at best, half of the problem

Nah
I get it

While today's event was awful this is still the way SA avs have worked since day 1 with minimal damage, certainly minimal in the last 10 years

Kiwifarms doesn't exist anymore even

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The idea that the administrators cannot or should not take any emergency action because the owner is asleep is insanely bitchmade.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Spinz posted:

Nah
I get it

While today's event was awful this is still the way SA avs have worked since day 1 with minimal damage, certainly minimal in the last 10 years

There has definitely been a shift in the way AV purchases are viewed within the past ~2 years, if you go back in the archives you can see suggestions of de-anonymizing AVs being laughed off as ridiculous and whiny. But, people can change their mind, it's fine. You're allowed to do that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ohtori Akio posted:

The idea that the administrators cannot or should not take any emergency action because the owner is asleep is insanely bitchmade.

They likely don't have access to the money side of things and even if they did I'm fairly certain everyone is aware that them doing that WILL get a response but it's not going to be the one people want or expect which is going to snowball.

Like it's pretty obvious that Jeff doesn't really care about the topic, I'm sure someone has PMed him about it or directly asked or whatever and we have had no response. His last post on the forums is like two days ago so he is around.

That's pretty much an answer in itself, imo.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 22, 2023

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i mean even beyond how hosed up it is that someone keeps doing this to boba, it's also like... uhhh it's not a great selling point for a forum to be like "oh most of the time it's fine, but if you piss off some psycho they might stalk you and dox you via your custom title and other weirdo poo poo." like how is it an incentive for me to be here when there's a non-zero risk of some internet maniac being able to change my avatar to a screenshot of my grindr profile or something. it's just a bummer all around. especially the grindr part, literally

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ohtori Akio posted:

This is true in general, but in this case the admins don't have access to the forums code or the payment system so they literally can't fix the anonymous avatar purchase problem.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Spinz posted:

Nah
I get it

I think mechanisms that allow for paid harassment, harassment usually targeted towards people who inhabit marginalized identities...., are bad.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Having money to waste should not be a free pass to harass someone.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I think we should get rid of them ASAP until they can be tracked.

Also last time I checked KF is still a site that found workarounds for not having Cloudflare.

Its been awhile since I checked because someone brought up that it was back. This was like 3 months ago I think.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Spinz posted:

Nah
I get it

I think everybody here realises that things have been like this forever. They're asking for that to change in the forum where you can ask for things you don't like to change, because it keeps hurting their friends.

And yes, it's unlikely that anything will be done because Jeff has ignored every previous request for this so there's an element of screaming into the void here to blow off steam because, again, people are upset that someone is harassing their friend and/or fellow poster

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mekchu posted:

they've avoided SAD wholesale since like February or whatever. It's pretty bad and lovely and I thought he hired someone to remind him to read the forums? or if they no longer do that, maybe the other admins should be more proactive in reminding him that there's Jeff specific stuff that's gone unanswered/resolved/commented upon for months (assuming that didn't happen yet).

He did, and then people accused him of hiring her so he could gently caress her and other stuff like that. Like, Jeff's been like this forever, even back in the ole Lowtax days when he ran the forums in all but name, he'd only come out of hibernation once a century, and then blame Lowtax for inaction (which worked since Lowtax actually owned the forums). I mean, sometimes I don't blame him because goons make a sport out of being incredibly lovely to him the moment someone is punished in a way their buddies don't like or hell in general, but it's not like this is a new pattern for the Jeffster.

As for the topic at hand? Hell yeah, getting rid of anonymous AVs would be a grand first step.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think we should get rid of them ASAP until they can be tracked.

Also last time I checked KF is still a site that found workarounds for not having Cloudflare.

Its been awhile since I checked because someone brought up that it was back. This was like 3 months ago I think.

from what i've seen on twitter it's inaccessible via the clearnet (and they had an alternate url for like, a week, but it also got deplatformed), but still accessible via tor

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

mycot posted:

For what it's worth Boba Pearl has mentioned having a stalker (who may not have a SA account and just lurks the forums? I don't remember) so it actually is possible the AV purchaser is a third party shithead and not related to the COVID thread posts

Boba Pearl posted:

please don't probe me for saying this, I know I'm an enemy in this thread, but I legitimately don't think the covid thread changed my avatar to my address, I would like that to be said publicly, because I know how it looks. I have a stalker who is obsessed with me, and I don't even really think it has anything to do with SomethingAwful.

fosborb posted:

yeah gently caress that av change. velkyn blanked the first two I believe. multiple mods are watching if it happens again, and if you have plat, a PM will email and buzz my phone immediately

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 22, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

very risky blowjob posted:

from what i've seen on twitter it's inaccessible via the clearnet (and they had an alternate url for like, a week, but it also got deplatformed), but still accessible via tor

Thats good at least.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Yeah. I think people are at least half shitposting and it does look like an obvious sequence of events without greater context, but I genuinely don't think it's as simple as whoever Boba Pearl was replying to when the AV change happened.

It does contribute to the point though that if nothing else offsite lurkers buying avatars should really be turned off, there is basically no non-psycho use for it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinz posted:

Nah
I get it

this is a really dumb argument to make

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

mycot posted:

Yeah. I think people are at least half shitposting and it does look like an obvious sequence of events without greater context, but I genuinely don't think it's as simple as whoever Boba Pearl was replying to when the AV change happened.

It does contribute to the point though that if nothing else offsite lurkers buying avatars should really be turned off, there is basically no non-psycho use for it.

I strongly suspect that stalker may have even taken this timing for that poo poo to maximize drama.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am morbidly curious how many avatar purchases are made by permabanned users who are too unhinged to allow posting here except right under someone's username if they're bored and have $10.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've made the forums over 400$ and I've spent maybe 50 on myself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From last October:

Discendo Vox posted:

I understand that avatar change visibility is a difficult task and won't be accomplished for some time. In that interval, would it not make sense to close off the "change other's avatar" action?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

eXXon posted:

I am morbidly curious how many avatar purchases are made by permabanned users who are too unhinged to allow posting here except right under someone's username if they're bored and have $10.

For the hosed up avs that get blanked I'll bet it's the majority

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Buying other people av changes is critical to the site imo but at the very least Jeff and ideally other admins should be able to check who did it if needed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

very risky blowjob posted:

i mean even beyond how hosed up it is that someone keeps doing this to boba, it's also like... uhhh it's not a great selling point for a forum to be like "oh most of the time it's fine, but if you piss off some psycho they might stalk you and dox you via your custom title and other weirdo poo poo." like how is it an incentive for me to be here when there's a non-zero risk of some internet maniac being able to change my avatar to a screenshot of my grindr profile or something. it's just a bummer all around. especially the grindr part, literally

yeah but have you considered the site owner wants $10 and doesn't give a single gently caress

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah but if he tied it to accounts they'd have to make a burner account and he'd double his income stream. Leaving money on the table jeffy

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah but if he tied it to accounts they'd have to make a burner account and he'd double his income stream. Leaving money on the table jeffy

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

someone needs to go get his attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXieXlAbpQg&t=20s