Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As always, Jeff is the only person at this point who can meaningfully respond to this topic and he's been silent the last few times it's come up.

But I have a real good feeling about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the hypothetical genius hacker who can get around any legal or technical hurdle and yet just cares about buying people lovely avatars rather than, you know, getting revenge on their former employer who stole their patents through a series of elaborate riddles or something is not going to be stopped by tying avatar purchases to a logged in account, but I'm pretty sure we're mostly not dealing with comic book supervillains here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"This isn't really a safe place to be open with your personal information so we should try to make it safer and also make ourselves safer" seems like a reasonable position to me, tbh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

He isn't ghosting at all he is just trying to figure out a way to talk about this incident while being respectful of privacy.

You've got to understand that people are frustrated with being told to wait for a response that has traditionally never actually happened the last 3,768 times we were told something was coming.

Like, I believe you all are actively working on things, I do. You're like the last person who would bullshit people about stuff like this. And I know Jeff's lack of communication with the userbase is not anyone's fault but Jeff's. But everyone here is capable of basic pattern recognition (much as it may not always seem that way) so expecting people to get their hopes up (or to be fine with being told that 'oh what's happening right now is none of your business', even if that's true) is really not realistic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I also acknowledge that it's not fair to you either, FD. The messenger always gets shot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

This all seems eminently reasonable unlike ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS GODDAMN MESS good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

only once? and it didn't take the entire volunteer mod or admin staff to figure it out. Privacy trumps catching someone in a bullshit lie.

Well, twice.

But yeah I think the proposed system is good (though the part of me that can't switch off from work is screaming WHO IS JEFF'S BACKUP even knowing this isn't really that important)