Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That function should be shut down on an emergency basis until traceability is available, it is a existential threat to the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I don't want that poo poo in there, and if it was one of ours I want them loving perma'd because gently caress loving doxxers.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

mycot posted:

For what it's worth Boba Pearl has mentioned having a stalker (who may not have a SA account and just lurks the forums? I don't remember) so it actually is possible the AV purchaser is a third party shithead and not related to the COVID thread posts

Boba Pearl posted:

please don't probe me for saying this, I know I'm an enemy in this thread, but I legitimately don't think the covid thread changed my avatar to my address, I would like that to be said publicly, because I know how it looks. I have a stalker who is obsessed with me, and I don't even really think it has anything to do with SomethingAwful.

fosborb posted:

yeah gently caress that av change. velkyn blanked the first two I believe. multiple mods are watching if it happens again, and if you have plat, a PM will email and buzz my phone immediately

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 22, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

mycot posted:

Yeah. I think people are at least half shitposting and it does look like an obvious sequence of events without greater context, but I genuinely don't think it's as simple as whoever Boba Pearl was replying to when the AV change happened.

It does contribute to the point though that if nothing else offsite lurkers buying avatars should really be turned off, there is basically no non-psycho use for it.

I strongly suspect that stalker may have even taken this timing for that poo poo to maximize drama.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Monathin posted:

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo. If you don't think that will burn a mod/admin out literally immediately, you have literally not had to do any community legwork.

Disable anonymous av-buying until a solution is implemented, ideally that solution is "all avs can be traced back to a purchaser with a forum account so if someone doxxes someone or buys a transphobic av the admins can immediately ban them". On top of that, an additional hurdle than just "needs an account" to dissuade the usual insane rereg guys would be a nice-to-have but probably take further implementation.

This is probably the solution with the least amount of additional responsibility thrust on volunteer mods.

It should be linked to a bloody account and if an account buys something hosed, you sanction that account and automatically run an alt check and saction any alts accordingly.

There :colbert:

problem solved.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

vpns are a thing, are way cheaper than an account, and give you near infinite ips to play with.

they used to advertise on this very site.

alt-checks only hit the laziest of crazies.

Amend that to solved as it can be, if it's ~only~ as bad as alt-hunting and announcing themselves as someone to alt check that is still a massive step up from status quo.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Nuebot posted:

If burner account death squads become an issue just make it so your account has to be like, I don't know, a week old and post once or something to buy an avatar for other people, like how steam doesn't let you trade or receive games if you haven't bought something yourself. Sure, then dedicated creeps will buy sleeper cell accounts to just sit there and squat until they need to burn one like a psychopath. There's always going to be some weird lunatic who can bypass whatever it is that gets put up; but the goal, as pointed out, is to deter most people who would consider doing the lovely thing not just that one guy.

I would say about a year or 2, maybe a few hundo posts but yeah.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

WarpDogs posted:

I think the real solution here isn't just avatar traceability but also the ability to disable (temporarily or otherwise) other avatar purchasing for specific users. Your account should be "protected", for lack of a better word, then we don't need to play a cat and mouse game with the harasser

Do both. That should basically put a lid on this as much as it will be.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Frank Frank posted:

2nd option works better. The intent of the harasser is to upset their target so under the first plan, the harasser still gets their jollies sending threats or w/e to the person being harassed.

Mostly, but I'd mostly take it up to a year or 2 of membership, also Harold's plat idea isn't the worst either on top because it adds further deterrent to heinous AVs from established members if they risk losing it for anything that isn't perma worthy.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

This loving week, and turtilicious?

I am astounded. This is the stupidest event of the year thus far.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

Anyone wanna explain sph so I dont have to search it

tiny carrot related.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Kuros posted:

Also maybe disable people from using the $10 AV purchase option on themselves?

"Oops! Looks like you used the wrong link for buying yourself an avatar! Use the $5 option instead!"

It would force people who really want to commit to the bit to buy another account and they will probably gently caress up quicker with regarding IP addresses logging into accounts.

Yeah, that would be a good move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Heath posted:

It really is mind bending. It's hard not to take it as completely cynical given that it was clearly done to garner sympathy and promote the comic. Given all of the above it's almost worse than when SPR did it. Especially given the posts she made about how her enemies will never own her because all it does is make her comic more successful. It's really wretched. Like wishcasting via abusive avatars, some kind of hosed up approach to magic

Yeah, feels more like this. poo poo was calculating, not some ~cRaZy~ person. She may literally have psychoses, but she's also a loving rear end in a top hat.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 25, 2023