Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Peachfart posted:

Does the anonymous av purchase being removed really change anything? Couldn't someone just register a fresh account and post a picture doxxing someone if they wanted to?
You can't stop people from being assholes on the Internet.

While yes someone could do that, the forum actually does have some custom tools for identifying alt accounts. This is restricted to certain admins and maybe even just Jeff at the moment. They're pretty good.

Also, sometimes people reregging just use the same email. It's that easy to ID some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

StratGoatCom posted:

That function should be shut down on an emergency basis until traceability is available, it is a existential threat to the site.

I think asking the part time coder to do something clearly outside the scope of his employment as dictated by his employer is putting him into a bad position. This is a Jeff task. We wait for him.

He probably is overwhelmed by goons being goons and just bitching and moaning every time he posts. Heavy wears the crown and all that. Still, just doing this would basically shut me and a ton of people up. This and attachments 2.0 would have him hailed like a king.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a link to what happened? This sounds like some goontelephone.txt

Boba posted a few things in the covid thread and some attention was directed at them from various posters. Someone then decided to spend $20 to buy some avatars that were really bad for Boba. Vylekin was actively monitoring the thread and saw/purged both of them.

We're once again asking Jeff to make avatar purchases for others require an account logged in to help trace down people doing this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NeonPunk posted:

Boba only posted once in the thread. And it was after whomever got her that avatar. It's highly improbable that it was even related to whatever beef you're assuming that is happening

This is where Boba first started posting today:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4039002&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post534033497

Boba spoke about their experiences a bit with the old thread. Another poster said and then retracted a statement saying "Aha, I knew it was all about Boba Pearl."

I'm not sure exactly when in the timeline that avatar purchases happened, but Boba was an active poster in the thread when I was looking at it. I don't know what is wrong about my explanation. I was not trying to imply that Boba did anything wrong, but rather that negative attention was thrown at them after a few posts. I'm not 100% certain when the avatar purchase happened, but I don't think it occurred until after the retracted post. I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture. I would like to note that boba was not trying to make discussion about themself nor did they want discussion to be about them. This is not about them per se. They're just a victim here of harassment.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wait this poo poo happened yet again?

jeff sucks poo poo idk why any of you still give him money

Yes. Just a couple hours ago. The currently locked covid discussion thread prompted someone to doxx Boba twice which Vylekin blanked and others fixed with a return of the old avatar.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fluffdaddy posted:

He has spent the last 5 hours using the tools he does have to look into this.

Thanks Fluff and thanks Jeff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Postman posted:

Is there at least an established process to deal with and investigate the doxxing after the fact? It sounds like Jeff is doing something this time, but I never noticed if he takes the same steps for every doxxing event.

Not really. If goons are involved in doxxing, it's a permaban. Doxxing by non-goons (or former goons), especially offsite, there's not really much that can be done. I quit being a mod when Abe got doxxed because there was nothing from the mod/admin team at the time except "that sucks bro. sorry you're dealing with it." because the doxxing was all done offsite.

I can't fault Ralp and Ozma for shrugging their shoulders with Abe's situation. Admittedly, I never got into arguments with 12 year olds on twitter that would lead to an Abe style doxxing, but I was starting a business at the time and got spooked. I didn't need that drama in my life.

Ultimately, Jeff can try to work with the payment processor to track down the latest person, but even then there is only so much that can be done in this situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the Abe story?

He got into a twitter argument with some idiots and in the quote chain at some point was some 12 year old kid. Abe flippantly replied to someone else something about showing dicks off or something like that which turned into an offsite doxxing crusade against Abe for threatening to expose himself to a minor. He got some calls at his work and such and had to explain to his boss what was going on. I don't remember specifics and cannot dig up posts about it because it was a decade ago or so. I think he stopped being a mod shortly after as well, but, again, this was forever ago.

Either way, it seemed like a major pain in the rear end to deal with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crespolini posted:

Not exactly. A twelve year old earned the ire of a twitter girl that abe and some others were following, and they all joined in on trying to bully the kid who remained completely unperturbed throughout it all as they speculated about the size of his penis.

He even told people not to retaliate on his behalf, because he just felt sorry for abe & the gang, not angry. The "lonely knife" guy who wanted to murder fyads was also part of the same crew.

I appreciate the clarification. I was just a third party bystander, and a lot has happened in the intervening decade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:stare:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

This is real good and exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phobeste posted:

Wait what was turtlicious banned for are they the cow exploder

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3884239&pagenumber=148&perpage=40#post496679094

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

e:f;b.

But, yeah, just a combo of :wtf: and :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: well done.