Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I haven't re-watched in quite a few years. I guess I'd be down for that.

GateOfD posted:

Or akin to some of the 80's shoujo shows.

The character designs IIRC were based on The Rose of Versailles manga from the 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Episode 14 is such a big tonal change for this show. I knew it was coming and it still surprised me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ep 16: no notes, total perfection, everything proceeding as planned.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ep 20 is a pretty raw fight. It's a character you have never seen actually angry before lashing out, emotionally ready to kill someone for perceived injustices. Yes, it's sloppy, but if Utena didn't have enough experience by now, the point is that it could have ended rather badly.

I've always liked this small arch for Wakaba. It was her time to get the spotlight.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Something or other about a pot and a kettle.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fudge, I'm ten episodes behind.

It's been fun to read the speculation and analysis of things episode by episode, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

The OST is up to 13 volumes, currently.

I'm sorry, what?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well now, this is an entirely new range of content I had no idea existed. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to find a way to watch the musicals at the very least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

While the show really is about Anthy and her escaping the extreme vile male toxicity of her only family member, it's Utena -- being the one with the protagonist role -- that will have to eventually figure out what is going and leave her own obliviousness and naivety behind her to actually achieve change. It's the classic hero's journey after all, described in the simplified way of becoming a "prince".

And Akio hates the living hell out of that. Akio does not want change and he will forever blame Anthy for his own failings and make her suffer along with everyone around her. It's why he's been hellbent on ruining Utena, first indirectly through the first student council duels with strangers, then with the more disturbing, personal Black Rose duels, and finally by directly taking the stage himself to groom and rape her to destroy her "nobility".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Carrots and metaphors and such like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hey, these three final episodes are too important that spoiler mark them for who's never watched the series before and is catching up now should be a consideration for at least a few more days.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I finally finished the last two episodes. Even though I knew what would happen, it still hits hard.

Thankfully the movie comes up next and since it's just a retelling (or is it??) it can't hit as hard and leave me an emotional wreck.

Nephthys posted:

So I take it no-one wants to talk about the movie because of how much it sucks, huh?

:mods:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The movie at a glance looks like a retelling and can work as one, but if you have watched the series, then you recognize that this isn't the Anthy you saw on the early days of the show. She isn't wearing glasses, her hair is free, her personality isn't repressed, and she doesn't need Chuchu anymore to interact with the world. On the other hand, Utena starts the movie disguised as a boy, as if she still remember the last words Anthy told her just as she was stabbed.

The student council is still mostly there except for an obvious person: Nanami, who already sorted out her poo poo just as the series ended. Juri's strange memory about a drowning boy that seemed to have come out of nowhere before now is important.

Because, yes, this is a full fledged sequel! The cyclical nature of Ohtori Academy ensured Utena was stuck there along with those who didn't get out before. This time she has to face her own childhood trauma and we finally get the development on Touga that never made into the original series.

And when that's sorted out, and with herculean effort to do so (plus some extra help from the council), Utena and Anthy finally escape the cycle: this is it, reunited again as promised, together and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

chrome line posted:

I'm happy to report that the little yellow and green emblem on her bumper is called a Wakaba mark and it's used to designate inexperienced drivers.

Oh drat, I never realized that. This is an awesome detail on a movie that's absurdly full of details in nearly every shot.